• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What ethnicity are the Ice Climbers?

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I am just curious. No flaming please, just an innocent question that I'd like to ask so don't mind me asking. Are the Ice Climbers, they are from the Arctic or Canada? Are they like Inuit Indians or something?

I'd hope we'd know more about the Ice Climbers other than Sakurai likes them, many players hate them, and they go around in coats beating people up with hammers.

FilibusterRhymes

Smash Cadet
I am just curious. No flaming please, just an innocent question that I'd like to ask so don't mind me asking. Are the Ice Climbers, they are from the Arctic or Canada? Are they like Inuit Indians or something?
All those would be the same race. They're Inuit.

I like to pretend they're from Greenland, a nationality far under represented in video games.

munsif

Smash Cadet
you shouldn't laugh

i'm just gonna quickly say this, no ofence to anyone but it's pretty obvious they have down syndrome (you can tell by their eyes) and i dont think you should be so insensitive.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
i'm just gonna quickly say this, no ofence to anyone but it's pretty obvious they have down syndrome (you can tell by their eyes) and i dont think you should be so insensitive.

Congratulations! You win the least-sense making post of the day award!

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Well since they had King DeDeDe as a child they're obviously part Giant Penguinm but as you all probably know, the gene that determines if you are a giant penguin is recessive so neither of them look it. Also the only reason King DeDeDe is king is because the Ice Climbers had to keep the royalty in their bloodline so they married each other.

dooky

Smash Cadet
I think the least-sense making post of the day award has just been usurped.

Anyway, all we really know is that they're Eskimos, a pretty all encompassing term covering natives of Canada, Alaska, Greenland and Siberia. I don't think any official source has ever used "Inuit", but if so, that would discount Siberia. And, uh, I can't believe I'm discussing Ice Climber canon.

dooky

Smash Cadet
I was just leafing through the Ice Climber manual, and... it doesn't even mention them being Eskimos. I guess this means they could be from anywhere >.>

To add to the confusion, in some regions the boxart featured Nana... as a blonde.

I wish we had canon like all the other franchises. We really need a new Ice Climber game to answer all these questions...

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I think the least-sense making post of the day award has just been usurped.
No, the second person seemed like they were actually trying to not make sense, and thus made more sense than the poster who just didn't. I mean, a stylized video game character somehow has down syndrome?

Re: question, I think they're just caucasians who got tired of the city life...

dooky

Smash Cadet
I prefer to think couple, just because it's cuter that way. And it gives me an extra incentive to smack hell out of my opponents if they KO Popo (yeah, I generally main Nana >.>) But when the only evidence we have one way or the other is based on an ambiguous, fraction-of-a-second bit of the Melee intro... it's hard to be decisive about it.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I prefer to think that they're either brother and sister or just good buddies.

I couldn't bear the fact that Nana is with anyone else! D:

Okay, but seriously. Twin brother and sister running around parentless and taking care of each other is too **** cute.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What are you talking about? I know that Down Syndrome children have epicanthic folds but I don't even see that, a trait in Asians, some Native Americans, and some Africans.

Anyway, I think they're Eskimos. Where exactly? I don't know, maybe Alaska or Siberia.

Finch

Smash Lord
They were created on the NES by nintendo, thus it is quite clear that they are Italian. So is Samus. Link is an Italian elf. Luigi is french.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Most likely Innuit... They are Eskimos...who wear Parcas...

Top Bottom