• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What to do as a complete beginner

HackerKing

Smash Rookie
I have no competitive melee experience, and I actually just found out about tournaments really recently when my school hosted one. Needless to say, I got absolutely destroyed and I want to get a lot better.

After the tournament, I spent a lot of time googling guides and matches to try to learn how to play the game, but most of the ganondorf "guides" just listed frame data or assumed that the character knew random stuff like "DI" and "wave-landing".

I have no experience, so is there some standard way you guys recommend players to start practicing? Is there some list of guides I can follow that will take me from zero to decent? Basically, I'm asking what I should do if I want to get better.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Play with people often. Watch Ganon videos of linguini, kage, spider_sense, Bizzarro Flame, Eikelmann, etc. for ideas. Ask specific questions in linguini's thread.

Welcome.

HackerKing

Smash Rookie
Thanks!

I found a video that teaches you "advanced techniques" (like SHFFL and Dash Dancing). I'll learn those and then do what you said and watch Ganon vids to see how the pros put them all together.

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
Stop sucking is a first step. Second step is to get good. The third step is fairly enigmatic, and the fourth step is clearly profit.

Dan Soup

Smash Rookie
As another competitive newb here are my tips:
  • Learn to dash. You can't get away with walking everywhere like in casual matches.
  • When in doubt, jab.
  • Ganon's aerial game is his strength. Learn to use and hit with all aerial attacks consistently especially up-air.
  • L-Cancel your Dairs.
  • Smash attacks are not your friends any more with the exception of down-smash. Get friendly with your tilts (not up-tilt).
  • Learn to angle your forward-tilt when necessary.
  • Learn to edgeguard effectively.
  • If you finish a match with an up-tilt, Warlock Punch or Wizard's Foot spike you have won the tournament. Unplug your controller and head straight home. Your cheque will be in the mail. (This is how Bizzaro Flame eats)
Other than that read guides, read forum, watch videos and play against others.

Experience: Not getting four-stocked in the single Melee tournament I went to.

Top Bottom