• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's going to be on the Gamepad Screen

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
What do you think the Gamepad is going to display?

I think it could show stats like total damage taken, number of deaths, number of SDs, and such. Or it could show the menu so you can pick the next level and change the rules for the next match.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
I agree with this. You cannot use that feature with any other controller, so it seems obvious to impute that attribute of the 3DS to the Gamepad as they are inherently similar.
That feature seems to have been designed for multiple screens so I doubt it will be on the gamepad.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What do you think the Gamepad is going to display?

I think it could show stats like total damage taken, number of deaths, number of SDs, and such. Or it could show the menu so you can pick the next level and change the rules for the next match.
Look at may 30th potd

That.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Probably the same as on the 3ds. Honestly how many are going to use the gamepad after this gamecube adapter is coming out

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
That feature seems to have been designed for multiple screens so I doubt it will be on the gamepad.
What we're getting at is, the bottom screen isn't going to have something displayed the is ground breaking or gamechanging. That wouldn't be fair to the other players. So its going to be something minuscule. Such as that.

D

Deleted member 245254

I think as long as I am home and wanting to play a handheld Smash, I'd be wanting to play the Wii U version off-screen as my first option, and keep the 3DS version for trips and travel.

So they freakin' better have off-screen play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off-screen solo play, and that's it.

You have to remember that everyone doesn't have their own second screen like the 3DS.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Here's a few idea's what I think the game pad will be used for

1. It could show in game stats such as total damage taken, damage dealt, air time, ledge grabs, etc etc...
2. It could show what song is currently being played and give us the option to change it.
3. It could be a independent screen that allows you to zoom in or out of the combat or change prospective in real time.
4. It could be used in a new game mode where someone would be able to spawn items, make platforms or walls appear, and maybe limited control on some bosses
5. Nothing, 99% of the time most smashers will have it off to save battery life and if the game cube controller can navigate the wii u menu's without it then they wont even care to put batteries in it.

Last edited:

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
What we're getting at is, the bottom screen isn't going to have something displayed the is ground breaking or gamechanging. That wouldn't be fair to the other players. So its going to be something minuscule. Such as that.
Obviously it wouldn't be something gameplay changing but that doesn't mean they couldn't add something for convenience like the ability to change the music mid match. Another idea I had was to add a Mario Kart Tv like feature to the gamepad so you can record and edit gameplay footage.

Even if no one is using the gamepad it could still display something interesting.

Khao

Smash Lord
I both expect and want it to show nothing.

There's not anything relevant you could show in that thing without giving an advantage to the player using the gamepad, and having the screen turned off saves precious battery life.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
MAYBE...

• A fixed camera version of the stage?
  • The statuses of the fighters?
  • Something else that has not hit my imagination?
I have no idea for certainty what it will be for.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Probably not the percentages of the fighters, as only one person will be able to see them, and we already know they'll be up on the screen.

I'd guess a bunch of camera tools, in order to see the battle from a certain perspective.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Not many inspired responses....
  • For starters, gamepad-only play is a must.
  • 5th player camera to follow up on Melee's camera mode is one of the best in-game utilizations. A live replay system with the gamepad wouldn't surprise me.
  • Replay camera control and pause menu camera, of course.
  • A 4v1 style match where the 5th player can fight, indirectly control enemies, spawn items, or control stage hazards.
  • Advanced menu controls: viewing trophies using the gamepad as the in-game camera, more streamlined stage editor, easier online interface, etc.
  • Simple mode for fighting with the touch screen for beginners. Great for newcomers, and unlike fighting games with advanced buttons and swishes, there would be no advantage to touch screen shortcuts for special attacks, grabs, shield, etc.

SadisticPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
L4D4ever1718
3DS FC
0748-4043-7867
  • 5th player camera to follow up on Melee's camera mode is one of the best in-game utilizations. A live replay system with the gamepad wouldn't surprise me.
  • A 4v1 style match where the 5th player can fight, indirectly control enemies, spawn items, or control stage hazards.
  • Advanced menu controls: viewing trophies using the gamepad as the in-game camera, more streamlined stage editor, easier online interface, etc.
  • Simple mode for fighting with the touch screen for beginners. Great for newcomers, and unlike fighting games with advanced buttons and swishes, there would be no advantage to touch screen shortcuts for special attacks, grabs, shield, etc.
I like the idea for a 4v1 mode. Would be very entertaining if Sakurai manages to pull it off. I'd love to see that in the game.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd love to see any of these ideas in the game. The last one would make a ton of sense, and could be likely.

Top Bottom