• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think is a good partner for Pac?

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
Just like to get your guys' perspective on things.
I have a teammate who started with captain falcon and ike but he was getting hit by some of my items.
So he decided to go Peach, so that I can say something like "watch out" or he'll see me doing a set up,
and he'll float in the air while i throw my hydrant and projectile at the other team. It seems to work fairly well.
What other characters (keep team attack in mind) would be good to combine with Pac?
I imagine kirby might be a good teammate.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Villager and Kirby are good for synergy with Pac. Villager can pocket Hydrants, and Kirby can use fruit for KO confirms with Pac. Also, Hydrant Water can help buffer smash attacks so that they can land a bit better.

BSP

Smash Legend
To be completely honest, I don't think Pac-Man is a good teams character. Our main method of fighting people usually involves controlling the stage + controlling them, which is not feasible when you've got 2 opponents and a teammate to consider.

That being said, if you insist on using him in teams, play to his strengths. I would pair him with characters that have a better neutral game than him in teams and can set you up for side B, so I'm looking at characters such as Sheik, Mario, Sonic, Diddy, Fox, etc. In general, faster characters that can hold neutral, because you're going to be weaker in that regard.

You can also play to Pac-Man's gimmicks with his hydrant and fruits. Kirby and Villager are good for this, especially Villager. Your team can then be focused on ranged neutral control while you set Villager up with powerful hydrants.

I'm doing a Sonic + Pac-Man team this weekend. My ideal gameplan is the have Sonic be the initiator while I back him up with aerials and fruit. I'm going to avoid using hydrant and trampoline unless I absolutely need to because they're disrupt my partner's game too. The main selling point of the team is Pac-Man's ability to convert off of throws in a large variety of situations (side B). At a given situation, he can make Sonic's throws at 60% lethal, along with full screen B throws and what not. I will have my Mario ready for backup if Pac-Man just can't handle CQC in teams, but I want to give it a shot.

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
I feel that playing pac in teams requires a real doubles partner, someone that you play with often so they understand how pac works and what he wants. I me and my partner go Pac and Mega man in teams, I know when I put out a hydrant or trampoline he's is going to utilize it just as well as I will, or when he catches a fruit he knows how to use it in his play until i can get it from him. that being said he as of right now is the only person i feel comfortable really going pac in teams with because of how good we are seeing the whole field and just how well we know each other

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Though this is mostly for fun but double Pac-Man can be extremely fun. It can probably be shut down hard though.

BSP

Smash Legend
Good work, but the friendly fire with the hydrant is why I prefer to not use it. On the plus side, your enemies almost always obsess over it and focus on launching it instead of fighting you. ROB in one of those videos stopped applying ledge pressure to you entirely just to launch a hydrant (and I think it almost hit his partner).

Just a bit of advice, you went for Bthrows even when scatt was right in front of you. Down throw instead so that scatt can Utilt for KO's starting at 80%. On the flip side, tell him to throw people at you so you can side B them.

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
I think Kirby and Villager are the BEST for team with pac, i also think Pac and Mac is possible

verbatim

Smash Ace
Pacman can't really control the flow of the match like he can in singles, but the chaoticness of doubles amplifies the disrupting abilities of his tools. IMO the best partners for Pacman are one's that can take advantage of his disruption and kill extremely quickly, a while back at a weekly I teamed with a Ryu who was really on point at getting true shoryukens and it worked out pretty well. I'm a lot more confident in my skill as a player (and in my ability to stop screwing over my partners) now than I was back then, but I think the point gets across. Pacman can create weird situations that allow his teammates to go for hard punishes.

shoutouts to me for killing my teammate in a 2v1 and then dying at the 3 second mark while going for the timeout.

Last edited:

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
Pacman can't really control the flow of the match like he can in singles, but the chaoticness of doubles amplifies the disrupting abilities of his tools. IMO the best partners for Pacman are one's that can take advantage of his disruption and kill extremely quickly, a while back at a weekly I teamed with a Ryu who was really on point at getting true shoryukens and it worked out pretty well. I'm a lot more confident in my skill as a player (and in my ability to stop screwing over my partners) now than I was back then, but I think the point gets across. Pacman can create weird situations that allow his teammates to go for hard punishes.

shoutouts to me for killing my teammate in a 2v1 and then dying at the 3 second mark while going for the timeout.
there was no coordination with that team, PAC can work with teams if they understand how to play together

verbatim

Smash Ace
There is that, it was a "hey we need two more people to partner together or we can't do doubles bracket" situation and I got paired with someone. Since then I've been looking around and working with more consistent partners, but even with how bad I played, I can't help but feel that I'm at a disadvantage now whenever I play with someone that can't consistently kill early (since that is one of my main weakness's).

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
There is that, it was a "hey we need two more people to partner together or we can't do doubles bracket" situation and I got paired with someone. Since then I've been looking around and working with more consistent partners, but even with how bad I played, I can't help but feel that I'm at a disadvantage now whenever I play with someone that can't consistently kill early (since that is one of my main weakness's).
Which is why Kirby or Villiger make good partners, they can help with setups to kill early

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I do think Kirby is one of our best team partners. I wrote a lot about it way back when, but we have multiple infinites with Kirby, the double fruits are super useful, especially since key is an excellent "Get off my partner" tool and punisher. He also benefits very strongly from hydrants and trampolines, can help with setups, can kill, etc.

That said, I did play with a Powersuit Samus player the other day that helped me realize something: We do not need to be the ranged one. We have decent offense, with the problem being that we are negative on block. With a partner backing you up, that is no longer a real issue.

Also I know how to keep an eye on my hydrant, so I found it really useful to just put the hydrant down in front of my partner, take point, and let my partner launch the hydrant. Worst case scenario I also take the hit, but if I take the hit along with one of them, I break even. If it hits me and the other two, that's a win for my team.

I would suggest in general always using key in teams though to punish anyone for hitting your partner.

Also I do agree that it is important to have a teammate who can kill easily. While we do have jank setups, it's harder in teams for us to get reliable kill options, and TBH it should not be our role in the team. We can fill in as stock tank, as support, as point character, and to a certain stage control even in doubles, but reliably killing is not going to be our strong point in a 2v2 scenario.

Also I do feel Pacman is very strong in a 1v2 scenario.

Though this is mostly for fun but double Pac-Man can be extremely fun. It can probably be shut down hard though.
I actually think this is a legit team WHEN you know either A) The opponent's team is way better than yours or B) You are teaming with someone new.

Double Pacman is pure and utter chaos, and it completely destroys team synergy. If your team for some reason lacks that synergy, or the opponent's is better, it kind of brings them down to your level by essentially playing a "hazards on" game. It is really hard to team combo anything with trampolines and hydrants everywhere.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Not to mention if you get a stock lead in Double Pacman you can just use trampolines to stall into a win.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Also if one Pac-Man stays at one level (like middle level of battlefield) and another at a lower level they shouldn't run into each other much.

Top Bottom