• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Brawl is Great

ZeusExMachina

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I grew up playing Brawl, in fact, Brawl was my first smash experience, like many people my age. I think Brawl is the best smash game (non-competitively), Brawl has been labeled by many as the worst Entry in the franchise, but personally, I love it. I’ve thought about this, and it’s not just because I played it as a kid, every other smash game I’ve played lacks uniqueness, and just feels like an update from past games. Brawl brought the Subspace Emissary to the table, Brawl was already a huge game, and incredibly fun, but it also had a story mode that could’ve been its own standalone game. I can definitely say that when I’m playing competitively, I definitely prefer Melle or Sm4sh or Ultimate, but brawls pace is actually really enjoyable for casual play. Brawls beautifully orchestrated theme made the game feel like this huge holy crossover, compared to the simple repetitive themes of other smash games. Brawl roster was also really great, the addition of third party characters made the game feel like an even bigger crossover of legendary gaming characters, Brawl also added some great characters that weren’t in melee, ZSS, Wario, Ike, Toon link, Diddy Kong, Olimar, Wolf, etc. are characters that are often used competitively in newer games. Brawl had a feeling to it that could only be decribed with the word “epic”, taking cartoony game characters and turning them into a T rated darker game, was truly amazing. Brawl also introduced some awesome features, like stage builder, masterpieces, stickers, etc. and just feels more polished to me then it’s predecessors. Overall, Brawl really encompasses what Smash is about, an epic clash between beloved characters, full of collectibles, and references to past games, and serves as a museum of games.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Yeah despite it's issues I had a lot of fun with Brawl when it came out, it had the best newcomers in my opinion and I really did enjoy the stage builder since I made 102 stages. I wasn't too crazy about Subspace but it was a nice attempt to combine the cast into a story.

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
As someone who grew up with Melee and Brawl I cant agree with your opinion. I always found Melee to have more charm than Brawl, I mean, just compare their intro's. I only really liked Brawl cause it was fun which every game should be but in terms of aesthetically appealing or having a unique style?? I would just switch to Melee.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
As someone who grew up with Melee and Brawl I cant agree with your opinion. I always found Melee to have more charm than Brawl, I mean, just compare their intro's. I only really liked Brawl cause it was fun which every game should be but in terms of aesthetically appealing or having a unique style?? I would just switch to Melee.
I found Brawl to have better graphics and sole player experience compared to Melee.

ambience

Smash Rookie
I honestly find Brawl the most fun competitively. It forces you to react and read your opponent more than other titles. Although I will agree that a game like Melee is inherently more competitive due to it's fast-paced, high techskill gameplay. I think every smash did well in the most important factor: the fighting. The smash games are all unique (less so from 4 to ult) in how they play and I could see why you would enjoy one over the other and dislike some.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Brawl has great graphics, an awesome story mode with intense and captivating boss battles.

Not only that, but it also has Falco’s epic Brooklyn voice!

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
I Enjoy Brawl´s pace for casual play, as its very casual and laidback, which is nice for casual play.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I agree, Brawl is great for casuals and a great way to introduce the series to those who aren’t used to the gameplay of the series.

It also has a nice selection of items, it has items that aren’t too tedious or ridiculous.

D

Deleted member

I like Brawl way more than any other Smash Bros. It's great because, the way Bowser dies when you kill him, the movement of the characters, and the way Donkey Kong puts other characters in the dirt.

Top Bottom