• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did they change his forward air?

silverdahog53

Smash Rookie
Why does Sonic have a meteor? Can someone explain why the fastest character with great recovery (who is the only character to be able to attack ot of his up-b for some reason), needed a meteor?

-good recovery
-fast recovery time
-high up kick priority
-fastest character
-no downside to his meteor (why does he have one if he can miss 100 times and just up-B to safety everytime. Try that with almost any other character and if you miss you'll die or get punished) (if you miss the sweet spot, you get hit forward instead)
-hard to punish recovery because he can attack out of it for some reason (up-b to forward air=giant wall of foot with high priority)
-his down tilt scoops the opponent in (so unless you were on the ground and shielded it, your going to get hit another couple times until you fly to far from damage)

From my understanding, every character has a weakness. Sonics was always the fact that he was really fast, racked up damage fast, but it was difficult to get the final hit to take the stock and that his recovery was easy to punish. (With his giant hit box/high priority f-air, this is no longer true.)
In project M this is no longer true. He has two great ways to kill now. 1.He down throws into the up kicks that stun you into having to take a good amount of damage before your DI pushes you far enough, and the first hit is unavoidable out of the up throw in my experience. 2. He hits you offstage with his high priority spindash, into his meteor smash...whats that? You meteor cancelled? Too bad, his up-b also lets out a sping that seals the gimp.

Now this is where many of you disagree. "Are you kidding me, Sonic sucks!" Well if you watch how people use him at tournaments, then yes, he seems bad. But if you learn how to utilize his high priority/fast recovery/unpunishable recovery (not by all characters) and dont just run back and forth spindashing like so many do, you'll realize he's broken. Is he unbeatable? No, absolutely not. But only by some characters. Ganon destroys Sonics opening attacks with his side-b. (But I shouldnt have to rely on a different character than my main to defeat him) But take Mario for instance, spindash him off stage, and go for the meteor...either you hit and kill him, hit and he meteor cancels into your spring and dies, or you miss and just spring back up on stage faster than mario can grab the ledge. SONICS FAST! Thats his thing, but in a game where things should be balanced, dont give him speed and an easy way to kill! Also the move itself is not properly made. If you cape with Mario you'll bounce him the other way, he'll finish his animation...but you still get meteor smashed as if you missed...

By giving him this move, you have made a faster, stronger, kirby...do you see where thats not exactly "balanced".

Possible solutions:

1.Remove meteor or 2.No attacking out of up-b (like every OTHER character)

Is he unbeatable? No. Is he running rampant as TOP TIER? No. But that doesnt mean that he isnt broken by having meteor (especially one as big as his) Just because not many players know how to use him, doesnt mean he is a "sucky" character. My Cousins argument who plays as him says "he's hard to use though". That may be fine for other things, but not a fighting game. Listen to my stupid metaphor. If each character is a different sort of handgun, some slower, some faster, some easier to use, and you also have an assault rifle. Yes you'll have an easier time picking up and using a handgun, but when your playing a game where everyone knows what theyre using, having an assault rifle is not fair, no matter how much longer it took you to learn how to use it. I also am aware that this post wont change anything, but dont say there werent early signs of his broken-ness (not a word?) I will be posting some gameplay videos soon just to show some examples. And I also encourage you all to pick up Sonic and learn to meteor your heart out, theres no drawbacks to it, and maybe if there are enough Sonics running rampant, they'll realize that as good as there animation skills are, when giving sonic a new move, sometimes you have to think if it will unbalance a character.

(I also realize that Im pretty tired and not all anolgies are up to par, but the message stands)

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
1. Mewtwo and one other I cant think of off the top of my head can act out of recovery.
2. His meteor is actually not that easy to pull off. for me, its not always had a directly downward smash, sometimes you knock them further out. Also if you dont main sonic you will habitually use down air which can be self-harming.
just my thoughts. nothing in-depth :p
also it could be partially do to the fact that his forward air looked like a special ed with no hands trying to hit you with his face o_0

Last edited:

silverdahog53

Smash Rookie
1. Mewtwo and one other I cant think of off the top of my head can act out of recovery.
2. His meteor is actually not that easy to pull off. for me, its not always had a directly downward smash, sometimes you knock them further out. Also if you dont main sonic you will habitually use down air which can be self-harming.
just my thoughts. nothing in-depth :p
also it could be partially do to the fact that his forward air looked like a special ed with no hands trying to hit you with his face o_0
1. Your right, I forgot about them too. (I just believe giving him the f-air now made it TOO viable)
2. And its not easy to pull off, but once you learn the spacing, its just too good of a move for sonic to have.(View my stupid metaphor :p ) My cousin almost always lands it, and I cant move under him on the recovery, I'll surely get spiked. And I cant move backwards because he'll go out there with me, and the meteor also acts as a push, so now I'm gimped on the recovery. And his amazing recovery puts him back on stage...

silverdahog53

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo, Snake, ROB and Game and Watch can all attack out of their Up B's
Your right, my bad. I just don't think him being able to attack out of his up-b with his now giant hit box/ high priority/meteor smash
mix was the best way to fix the fastest character. Before he only had his spin move to rely on the recovery (as dumb as it looked) at least it gave him some sort of weakness out of recovery if timed incorrectly.

roxolid

Smash Cadet
Is he unbeatable? No. Is he running rampant as TOP TIER? No. But that doesnt mean that he isnt broken by having meteor (especially one as big as his) Just because not many players know how to use him, doesnt mean he is a "sucky" character. My Cousins argument who plays as him says "he's hard to use though". That may be fine for other things, but not a fighting game. Listen to my stupid metaphor. If each character is a different sort of handgun, some slower, some faster, some easier to use, and you also have an assault rifle. Yes you'll have an easier time picking up and using a handgun, but when your playing a game where everyone knows what theyre using, having an assault rifle is not fair, no matter how much longer it took you to learn how to use it. I also am aware that this post wont change anything, but dont say there werent early signs of his broken-ness (not a word?) I will be posting some gameplay videos soon just to show some examples. And I also encourage you all to pick up Sonic and learn to meteor your heart out, theres no drawbacks to it, and maybe if there are enough Sonics running rampant, they'll realize that as good as there animation skills are, when giving sonic a new move, sometimes you have to think if it will unbalance a character.
You basically defeated your own argument here. Sonic is NOT running rampant and winning major tournaments. If he was actually "broken" as you say, many more people would use him and would be winning major events with him. Your problem with playing against your cousin may be very real for you, but it is merely anecdotal for the rest of us and is not of the epidemic proportions required for the PMBR to take action and nerf him (again). Your posts make you appear simply bitter that you have been defeated by this sonic, and your time might be better spent looking up how your main (your post made it seem like you main mario, but i don't think you ever explicitly stated who you main) should deal with a sonic or just asking the community for advice. That would be much more helpful than just complaining about it and calling for a nerf

silverdahog53

Smash Rookie
You basically defeated your own argument here. Sonic is NOT running rampant and winning major tournaments. If he was actually "broken" as you say, many more people would use him and would be winning major events with him. Your problem with playing against your cousin may be very real for you, but it is merely anecdotal for the rest of us and is not of the epidemic proportions required for the PMBR to take action and nerf him (again). Your posts make you appear simply bitter that you have been defeated by this sonic, and your time might be better spent looking up how your main (your post made it seem like you main mario, but i don't think you ever explicitly stated who you main) should deal with a sonic or just asking the community for advice. That would be much more helpful than just complaining about it and calling for a nerf
Your right, I was bitter, but I beat him 50/50 now so its all good. I think its a pretty lame move, but I just had to learn to get around it.
Thanks for the advice! :)

Top Bottom