• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why didn't they just keep his name Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Every single picture of Red has him wearing exactly what he is wearing in Brawl. So why didn't they keep the name that has been there for 10 years?

I mean, it's not like 'Red' is a fan made name. He is actually the last boss in G/S/C (in which, by the way, I once emailed Nintendo and they said the name of the main characters in those games were Gold for the boy, and Crystal for the girl).

I know some may say that making the name Pokemon Trainer leaves open the possibility for alt costumes of May or Crystal, but after seeing the E for All videos, it looks more like they are sticking to re-colors rather than alt costumes.

Chepe

Smash Lord
My theory (a popular one) is that some color swaps will change the Trainer model into another, like the FR/LG female for one. A name as generic as Pokemon Trainer shouldnt be used otherwise, so its a pretty safe bet that Red wont be the only model for the background character...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it's simply because you weren't given a set name for him, though cannicolly it is RED...

Or because some people could have bought Blue, Green, etc. instead of the Red version and technically you were given the option RED only in the Red version

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I think it's simply because you weren't given a set name for him, though cannicolly it is RED...

Or because some people could have bought Blue, Green, etc. instead of the Red version and technically you were given the option RED only in the Red version
Idk in every Pokemon game in which Red is the main character, i've named my character Red.

I mean, it's like for Link having his name be 'Hyrulian' or something.

Raptorbite

Smash Apprentice
I think it is because if you see PT in his completely blue or green clothes... hearing him called Red will sound funny

Besides BLUE VERSION WAS BETTER ANYWAYS!

vinternet

Smash Cadet
Even though G/S/C referenced the character(s) from R/G/B/Y, in R/G/B/Y your character didn't have a set name or even a default one. The pre-defined names weren't the same in each version of the game, and nothing else - like the guide, manual, or web site - ever named him as 'Red'. It was supposed to be 'you'. Any name you want. When they needed to give him names, the manga and cartoon went with their own name, and G/S/C went with names that would make it obvious that it was supposed to be the character from R/G/B/Y.

Pokemon Trainer is the name that makes the most sense.

Rakath

Smash Ace
There are two Mangas:

The Manga that mirrors the anime.
The Adventure/Special Manga.

The entire cast of Adventure/Special has the game names (as in every main character is named a color). Hence why Red's name is Red, not Ash. Manga and G/S/C agree on the Name's Red and Green (Blue in English).

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
I went through this in the official discussion some time ago. Some say its just pokemon trainer because you can change the name, but its like that in Legend of Zelda also yet he is Link. Therefore it would only make sense that the color swaps would be different trainers.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I went through this in the official discussion some time ago. Some say its just pokemon trainer because you can change the name, but its like that in Legend of Zelda also yet he is Link. Therefore it would only make sense that the color swaps would be different trainers.

The thing is in the GAME, you get a choice of the name depending on your version, that means, if your playing Blue, his name is Blue not Red.

In TLoZ he is always named Link, you dont see him getting named OoT or TP or WW depending on which one your playing. Still it is obvious that Red is the one people have embraced, but the changing of alt costumes is not the only only reason and is probably NOT the reason.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Blue pwned Red, but I assume, since he's a generic pokemon trainer, that he should be called, pokemon trainer, it's very descriptive of his chosen occupation.

Because according to canon the only Red was in GSC and this one is a little different.
It's the same guy...

I agree that his name should have been Red. But perhaps it was done to avoid confusion. Imagine someone might get confused in a team battle when the announcer says 'Red Team wins!'

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
Because techinally the Pokemon Trainer, in the games, is YOU.
And I don't know many guys named Red.

Rakath

Smash Ace
HIII Darkpaladin! ^_^

Rocketspark: Don't know many people named Fox, or Bowser, or Meta Knight, or Kirby, or... *list goes on*

So the "Nobody named Red" arguement falls a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom