• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why dont ICs time out matches?

sunshade

Smash Ace
The ice climbers are incredibly hard to approach when using desynced blizzard and ice blocks. They can put very effective walls down to maintain a lead once it is gained. Why have Ice climber mains not begun using time outs as a means of victory?

Hobbling takes a very long time to rack damage. If the Ice climbers hold the opponent in their grab without pummeling or throwing him until the last moment I am sure they could burn 2-3 (maybe even more) minutes before they get to 300%.

Doing this will demoralize your opponent and give you a large lead. If an opponent think you are going to time him out he will feel more forced to approach. The psychological blow will cause the opponent to be easier to predict, and punish, thus opening more chances to grab. Players are already afraid of getting near the ice climbers. Make them all their options seem terrible by making offensive and defensive options both seem dangerous.

Why should you try to get 3 grabs when you only need 1-2?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Probably because other characters could just try and time them out back. It's always a risky game to play, especially when you're as fragile as the ICs. I've always wondered why people don't try this as well, though, those are the conclusions I came to.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I thought that attempting to time others out would help protect the ice climbers from being timed out themselves.

Normally the clock ticking only works against them. If the Ice climbers go for the time out as well then the clock is on their side or at least neutral.

If you know that timing out is the objective of the Ice climbers you are fighting and that one grab will put you behind and eat a massive chunk of the clock will you want to delay the clock further?

Once they get that lead after the grab they will then be able to use their strong defense and zoning to limit their opponents options. With each tick tock the opponent will need to approach more and more and risk being grabbed again.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
It also depends on who your playing too. Like rob or toon link, pretty much any character that can out camp the ic's and mess up their desyncs from a distance. but if they can't out camp you I think timing them out would be pretty legit.

Sieguest

Smash Master
The ice climbers are incredibly hard to approach when using desynced blizzard and ice blocks. They can put very effective walls down to maintain a lead once it is gained. Why have Ice climber mains not begun using time outs as a means of victory?
Some characters can, plain and simply, out camp us. Well placed bombs from TL and Link can hit us. R.O.B. is the king of camping. Pit can curve his arrows. A good MK will probably only take twenty or so damage from Uairs if he goes over the top of us and then end up doing more to us once he gets inside. Then he can just time us out. Also certain stages affect our camp game a lot. We're never going to be at the ideal stage where we can pull stuff like this. Either the opponent has ways to get over the walls or a projectile with no targetbox that can go through the wall or be on a platform to avoid IBs. If the opponent is smart they won't get hit.

It also makes the game even more boring than it all ready will become by the person continuously trying to make space between you and them so they don't get grabbed.

Hobbling takes a very long time to rack damage. If the Ice climbers hold the opponent in their grab without pummeling or throwing him until the last moment I am sure they could burn 2-3 (maybe even more) minutes before they get to 300%.
Yes, but you have to get the grab first. And with good SDI, someone can eventually maneuver themselves to the ledge. It's also much better to be a stock ahead than to by some human error, mess up the hobble and the opponent, now close to you do whatever and the match potentially end in you losing a stock and getting timed out.

Doing this will demoralize your opponent and give you a large lead. If an opponent think you are going to time him out he will feel more forced to approach. The psychological blow will cause the opponent to be easier to predict, and punish, thus opening more chances to grab. Players are already afraid of getting near the ice climbers. Make them all their options seem terrible by making offensive and defensive options both seem dangerous.
See above.

Why should Olimar pull six pikmin when five would be sufficient?

If you're comfortable with your grabs, might as well make it faster for everyone by taking the stock instead of dragging it on. Making the match more boring than it all ready will be. Unnecessarily dragging on the tourney. And being a stock ahead is much better than just being ahead by percent because you never know when Sakurai will strike. o.o

ch33s3

Smash Lord
It just doesn't usually get that far. Once you need to approach the ICs, you're getting grabbed.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
Because hardly every character has a projectile that goes through blizzard lol. And most of the others have some other tools against IC's. This makes it very hard to run out the timer. I mean you could try to time out CF or Ganon but I don't really see the point in that lol.

And how stupid would it be to NOT finish a grab once you got one? A stock is a stock and it's way better than some messed up ****. And hobbling doesn't even work until 300% cause the Iceblock freezes the opponent before that.

B0NK

Smash Lord

Short hop blizzard can be maneuvered over by characters with decent aerial mobility and those that don't usually have projectiles. Full hop blizzard walls have a "hole" in the wall that while hard to time is a means of punishing. (And can also be maneuvered over as well). And just good SDI can get you threw it and punish. L2Punish blizzard desynchs, it can be tough but definitely not impossible. Also most projectiles go through blizzard and the ones that don't tend to blow up. =P

Hobbling has many cons that don't always make it the best choice, some IC players refuse to use it at all over alt. grabs. As percentage get higher hobbling becomes much easier to SDI and the stage itself can effect if it can even be done. Hobbling also isn't even a true infinite and starts to freeze the opponent at around 230%. You must also realize many player are able to struggle out very quickly getting out in less than a second at even percentages like 150% so waiting to stall for time can cause drop CGs. I have looked into this before and the most I could reasonably burn with opponents struggling is like 1 minute to 2 minutes 30 seconds at most if your opponent is barely struggling, sure you can burn a lot of time if your opponent gave up on struggling but if they see you just standing there, they're going to struggle. (Light weights it's even harder to burn time.)

This is the only thing that is true, but this can be accomplish with patient play and just holding the percent lead and not approaching. No need to actually try for a time out, just play patiently. (Most high level matches go down to the wire most of the time anyways in this game, regardless of character choice.)

One last note, it is usually better to just kill off the opponent when you can instead of risking messing up and letting the opponent possibly gain back momentum. They don't need the percentage lead to kill or camp you if they are powerhouse characters and campers like Snake =/
Responses above.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but you have to get the grab first. And with good SDI, someone can eventually maneuver themselves to the ledge.

If you run past them and pivot grab the get-up animation, you can get them away from the ledge. Just sayin.

Sieguest

Smash Master
If you run past them and pivot grab the get-up animation, you can get them away from the ledge. Just sayin.
I don't think you have enough time to do that, since they've SDI'd away from you, I don't think you can get past them and pivot grab before their get up animation is over.

B0NK

Smash Lord
I don't think you have enough time to do that, since they've SDI'd away from you, I don't think you can get past them and pivot grab before their get up animation is over.
You can, just not when it is higher percentages. (Like the OP is talking about). The higher the percentage the farther they can SDI away. Also character traction plays a role, like luigi will slide away much farther when he SDI's away.

Smoom77

Smash Master
At low to medium percents, you CAN run past and pivot grab. Most people give up when it comes to SDIing hobbles. I've seen maybe two or three people try. Even Ally didn't when I did it on him.

Teh Future

Smash Master
i dont know why this thread is getting any attention lol.

i didn't read anything but timing out w/ ic doesn't work. when you time someone out with mk or such it doesn't matter if you mess up once because your METAKNIGHT and you just choose one of one million options to get back into a position where you aren't being hit. If you tried to do this as IC you would just end dying if you made any mistake.

but IC should know to play patiently and not approach when they don't need to. But that is completely different and not at all timing someone out

Top Bottom