• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why is there such a drought of Bowser JR.'s

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Being able to shield cancel side b would probably be enough to move him from low/low-mid to high mid all on its own with no other changes.

EDIT: If 3-4 was the lowest I don't think he would be much higher than 5.

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why more people don't play him.
I personally think he's the most fun character on the roster. That Up B is one of my favorite moves in the whole series.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't get why more people don't play him.
I personally think he's the most fun character on the roster. That Up B is one of my favorite moves in the whole series.
He's super fun, but let's be honest with ourselves, he's not very good. That alone is a reason that discourages people from using him.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
He is has a high learning curve, entry lvl and advance lvl. And the reward for mastering Bjr isnt that great. That alone should keep 80% of the people. If you add that his recovery can be gimmicked, his useless neutral B, his horrible grab, his bad moving speed ( beside clown kart) and the fact that shields basically neutralizes Bjr.

Dont get me wrong, i only play bjr, i totally love his playing style but we gotta be objective, he is a mid tier.

Also, Tweek is a great player but if you observe some of his matches you can see some people loses not only to Tweeks awesome skill but also to the lack of knowledge of the MU. Once you know the MU, bjr reaaaallly struggles.

Kryver98

Smash Rookie
He is has a high learning curve, entry lvl and advance lvl. And the reward for mastering Bjr isnt that great. That alone should keep 80% of the people. If you add that his recovery can be gimmicked, his useless neutral B, his horrible grab, his bad moving speed ( beside clown kart) and the fact that shields basically neutralizes Bjr.

Dont get me wrong, i only play bjr, i totally love his playing style but we gotta be objective, he is a mid tier.

Also, Tweek is a great player but if you observe some of his matches you can see some people loses not only to Tweeks awesome skill but also to the lack of knowledge of the MU. Once you know the MU, bjr reaaaallly struggles.
Thank you. I cannot stress enough how people who don't learn to adapt and play against Jr.'s BnBs typically get destroyed, even though it's so very easy to punish some of his common moves.

Kryver98

Smash Rookie
BowJow's grabbing game is not that bad if you place your set-ups correctly. For instance, when you release a mecha, your opponent is very likely to shield once he/she sees it approaching. There's a relatively guaranteed grab for you (depending on how you chase the mecha and anticipate your opponents move). Yes, his grab is laggy and has no true combos at any given %, but it is not complete trash. I find it more reliable than others (Pac-man, for example).

I must admit that I never used Jr's grab before, but with practice, I learned to condition my opponent to shield by pressuring with the help of my mecha, so I can land my grabs with relative ease.

With all that said, having a combo out of downthrow for example (changing the angle) would be fantastic. And buffing back throw (our only "kill throw").
Yes. If you send out your un-punishable Mechakoopa, your opponent will Shield, and that GUARANTEES you a free grab. Because you're playing a For Glory player. Not a competent player who knows that you can grab the MK, or hell, jump over it. Especially since Bowser Jr. has such a fantastic grab. It's a practically fool-proof strategy.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Lol this dude is harsher than I am.
wow, someone actually took your spot as the face in the descriptions of the word harsh in the dictionary :4iggy:

the drought for Jr might actually be for our favor but sadly its will not wear that long.
that is that many people are really comfy about the MUs in the high tier list, but when it comes to character they have never faced it will make them really uncomfortable. as the Meta Grow aswell as the MUs, the surprice factor of Jr will in time be less and less effective

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget about the fact that Sakurai completely ignores jr in terms of buffs and focuses solely on ike.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
LOL WTF USES CANNONBALL? I was talking about major buffs like a kill throw or less laggy grab etc.
pretty sure he was sarcasm/said in agony

however, Cannon Ball do have its useages. however those useages are so low its really hard to actually use them. the 3 things I can think of: against Vertical Moves (Luigis and Ikes SideB example), for Stylish points (its more cooler to kill the opponent with a worse move than normally is and that brings shame on the opponent) and for surprice random cannon ball

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
pretty sure he was sarcasm/said in agony

however, Cannon Ball do have its useages. however those useages are so low its really hard to actually use them. the 3 things I can think of: against Vertical Moves (Luigis and Ikes SideB example), for Stylish points (its more cooler to kill the opponent with a worse move than normally is and that brings shame on the opponent) and for surprice random cannon ball
I really wish air cannon was storeable like fludd. Would make it a lot better.

Top Bottom