• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you have minded Martin T. Sherman returning to voice Pac-Man?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
So, As most of you will know. There is quite a lot of people who would rather have not had Pac-Man talk. ((For good reason)) Personally, While I don't really mind: There was one specific actor I would have loved to hear return in this game.

Ladies and gentlemen, this here is Martin Sherman.

Martin here, was known for many specific works in voice acting. He was in quite a few movies and TV cartoons as well as voice acting in several video games. Now why am I telling you all this? Well, because in 2005 he would voice our beloved yellow hero in Pac-Man World 3.

Typically the problems I have with Erin Matthews [Pac-Man's current Voice Act(tress)] is that the way she portrays Pac-Man is that of a typical High School kid who tries too hard to be cool, which comes off to me as annoying in all honesty.
Sherman... He didn't have that problem. Not only did he make Pac-Man sound his age, he gave him a fitting and pretty enjoyable personality. Matin's Pac-Man is known for being Sarcastic, Rather Humorous and also more Laid-Back sounding than most of his other voices. He was honestly the most enjoyable to listen to in my ears. [[No offense to Marty Ingels, Who played him in the original Pac-Man Cartoon. I just found Sherman's to sort of "click" with Pac-Man's overrall character.]]

What are your thoughts though? Anybody remember this guy? Would you have minded him returning by any chance?

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
I really liked Marty Ingels' voice and thought it fitting, but i'm not up for hearing pacman talk so much as making some chomping noises every now and then. i see pac as the mickey mouse of games and while mickey started in silent film, he didn't stay that way forever. even so i really don't know what voice i'd expect to hear from pac. the SFxT one didn't sound right, the raspy child voice of the new show didn't, and im not a big fan of Sherman's. if he were a bit more gruff and gave pac a manly but at the same time playful demeanor, like Ingels, i could get behind it.

Slidin

Smash Rookie
I really liked his portrayal as Pac-Man! It was pretty much exactly as I thought Pac-Man would sound if he were given a voice. After all, it was his 25th birthday during the plot of World 3. It was happy, energetic, and yet sarcastic and humorous at the same time. Would I like to see it return? Eh, as much as I love it, I feel that it belongs to World 3 as its own thing.

I do also enjoy a non-talking Pac-Man with sound effects and expressions like Pacack talked about. I really hoped that in Smash, Pac-Man would have his classic Pac-Man World "ouch" sound effect when he got hit by something, with maybe some small yellow swirl particle effects. Not too big/major though, just a little detail. I also hoped his classic dying sound would play during a star KO, but you can't have everything.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm fine with either an energetic, excited Pac-Man or a laid-back, mellow one, but I can't stand the "radical teen" approach of Ghostly Adventures. No thanks.

Ingels wasn't a good fit. He took the role reluctantly and really didn't care for it. He just recycled his default "Beegle Beagle" voice. It was too gruff and old-sounding, even for a character of Pac-Man's supposed age. I don't hear Pac-Man when I watch the Hanna-Barbera cartoon; I just hear Marty Ingels. I'll take the high-pitched, boyish voice from SFxT over an Ingels-style voice any day. Now, as for Martin Sherman, I think his take was so generic of an adult, male American accent that it actually fit Pac-Man's rather simplistic design and character. That being said, while the snarky, sarcastic characterization worked in tandem with the voice, I don't think that sort of persona fits Pac-Man best.

I'm fine with him just using retro sound effects. Pac-Man, especially in Smash, is an embodiment of retro arcade goodness, so having him sound retro really works well, I feel. I actually wish he used more sound effects than he currently does.

If Pac-Man ever ends up getting another voice actor, I personally think Tom Kenny could provide a great offering. His voice acting career is very long and his range is very impressive. In particular, he's very good at coming up with a normal-sounding, yet still highly distinct and appropriate voice for more generic, milquetoast characters, which is exactly what Pac-Man would require to finally get a voice that makes sense.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
I like his voice, but I'm ultimately fine with anyone other than his current voice actor.

For the show, we can have Martin, but for smash I think just the expressions is enough like Pacack Pacack said.

Top Bottom