• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi at tournaments [Video archive + discussion]

JKrisom

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,

Hope you're having a nice day~

This thread is to post videos that you can find from Yoshi players at official tournaments and perhaps generate discussion around Yoshi's placements, performance and playstyles at top level play.

- Smash Ultimate Tournament - BB | Broseidon (Yoshi) Vs Rags (Inkling, DK) The Grind 55 SSBU Bracket
- Smash Ultimate Tournament - Broseidon (Yoshi) Vs. VGBC | Pink Fresh (Incineroar) The Grind 55 SSBU
- Smash Ultimate Tournament - Broseidon (Yoshi) Vs. Dexter (Wolf) The Grind 55 SSBU Winners Semis
- Smash Ultimate Tournament - Password (Yoshi) Vs. BG | Lost1ntime (Jigglypuff, Rob) S@X 280 SSBU WR1
- Smash Ultimate Tournament - Password (Yoshi) Vs. Jick Jrew (King Dedede) The Grind 55 SSBU Pools
- Launch Smash Ultimate - Bonz (Yoshi) VS Glory (Pit) SSBU Pools

(perhaps post in this format so that each page is not full of youtube previews)

Inevitabily, quality of play will increase as time goes on, so might be interesting in a year or two to compare playstyles and placements.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Rags is possibly the biggest shill I've ever seen lol
However, I really hope yoshi's actually top tier this time around like people are saying. I don't really see why people are saying he's top tier but I'll just go with it.

Last edited:

Ostro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7252-9309-8314
ヒロスマSP#Pre - Grand Finals : Lagnel(Pichu,Snake) vs Ron(Yoshi)
All I understood from the commentary was "kawaii", but it's still a lot of fun to watch. Yoshi actually won this tournament.

I don't really see why people are saying he's top tier but I'll just go with it.
I think there are three major reasons why Yoshi is considered a lot better this time.

1. He was considered top tier super early on in Smash 4, but he fell off super hard. A lot of the people arguing that he wasn't actually top tier were saying that Yoshi's moves didn't really work with each other. he would win neutral with his excellent frame data but he couldn't hold advantage state without reads.

The difference this time is that he has a lot of guaranteed followups. He still struggles with disjoints, but it's not nearly as bad when one hit can potentially lead into 25%+ combos.

2. The new airdodge is less safe, so everyone has an easier time juggling but a harder time landing. The buff to Yoshi's juggling game overshadows the nerf to his landing thanks to his air speed and extra jumps from egg toss.

3, Recoveries aren't as strong in Ultimate as they were in 4, but Yoshi got a recovery buff.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
If you plan to keep this constantly updated put them in spoiler/collapse tags (don't remember which code it was) and separate em by player to make it more accessible.
Maybe even have a section for 2v2 if it garners interest.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

JKrisom

Smash Rookie
Thanks Delta! I actually saw that thread, but thought that it was for our own play sessions, not to showcase others.
I'll work on keeping a more organized version in the afternoon. Should I do it here or on the other thread?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Honestly thought that was gonna be a critique thread. But then again the old Brawl one ran by shiri was both either way so doesn't hurt for yours to be both as well.
Just keep it updated, Delta :^)
I'll work on smashboards threads for projects after christmas

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Honestly thought that was gonna be a critique thread. But then again the old Brawl one ran by shiri was both either way so doesn't hurt for yours to be both as well.
Just keep it updated, Delta :^)
I'll work on smashboards threads for projects after christmas
I'll repurpose it to be a more clear critique thread in this case.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Top Bottom