• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Recovery Idea

Should Yoshi have a Z-Tether?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plowup

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tofuland
3DS FC
1762-2917-6010
I'm not a Yoshi main, but when I play Yoshi, recovering is very difficult. Yes Yoshi has super armor, but by the time the super armor frames are over, you're vulnerable to almost anything; the worse part about this is that after you jump, you don't have any recovery options.

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before but Yoshi should have a Z-Tether. This would fix some of Yoshi's problems off-stage. I'm not 100% sure if this would break the meta game or not but Yoshi could have so much more potential with this.
This will make a lot of sense with the upcoming patch 3.5 for PM, and make sense in general. All of Yoshi's grabs have a extend with the tongue and in Super Mario Galaxy Yoshi can grapple on to knobs in stages.

My question here is, would adding a Z-Tether to Yoshi make him better or just to strong?

didds

Smash Lord
It's been brought up before, the consensus is that Side B, Down B, and Up B provide enough mixup options that he is fine as is. The Z-Tether grab could prove too strong on a character with an armored jump and high horizontal air movement. This could possibly change with the new patch, but Yoshi really doesn't need the extra buff of a tether recovery regardless.

It's true you're vulnerable, but only if you're predictable.

It would probably look goofy as hell too imo

Plowup

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tofuland
3DS FC
1762-2917-6010
It's been brought up before, the consensus is that Side B, Down B, and Up B provide enough mixup options that he is fine as is. The Z-Tether grab could prove too strong on a character with an armored jump and high horizontal air movement. This could possibly change with the new patch, but Yoshi really doesn't need the extra buff of a tether recovery regardless.

It's true you're vulnerable, but only if you're predictable.

It would probably look goofy as hell too imo
Yeah it would look goofy XD, I guess I never played enough Yoshi to understand his recovery options and patterns.

Thanks for the reply!

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Yoshi needs no more recovery options, he gets back from too much to begin with

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
It is currently impossible to add tethers to the game.

I was a fan of having yoshi's ground pound becoming his up-b. That way he could recover similarly to Ike or Kirby and it would allow him to grab the ledge backwards with it. Unfortunately, Egg toss can't be moved because it's an article, and articles can't be created either. If someone can correct me on being able to move articles, that would be great.

DraconisMarch

Smash Apprentice
My idea for improving his recovery a bit less extreme:

Just make it so side-B'ing off stage doesn't rob you of your double jump. Even if you roll directly off stage in the egg before it can hit the ground again, your double jump is gone. That's ridiculous.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
My idea for improving his recovery a bit less extreme:

Just make it so side-B'ing off stage doesn't rob you of your double jump. Even if you roll directly off stage in the egg before it can hit the ground again, your double jump is gone. That's ridiculous.
That would actually be ridiculously broken.

If you could keep your jump after eggrolling from the ground, I think it would be nice and not broken, but it would still make eggroll a little too safe. One of the dangers of eggroll is if you use it to close to your opponent and your opponent hits you out of it before you touch the ground, he can gimp you. It sucks when it happens but you gotta play smart.

Jumping out of offstage eggroll will never happen and if it does Yoshi will shoot up to S tier and then be promptly nerfed the next patch after everyone complains.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
It is currently impossible to add tethers to the game.

I was a fan of having yoshi's ground pound becoming his up-b. That way he could recover similarly to Ike or Kirby and it would allow him to grab the ledge backwards with it. Unfortunately, Egg toss can't be moved because it's an article, and articles can't be created either. If someone can correct me on being able to move articles, that would be great.
Would it be theoretically possible to take a character like Lucas, who already has tethers, projectiles, Jump properties, etc... clone him, and rebuild Yoshi around his data?

DraconisMarch

Smash Apprentice
That would actually be ridiculously broken.

Jumping out of offstage eggroll will never happen and if it does Yoshi will shoot up to S tier and then be promptly nerfed the next patch after everyone complains.
...Are you going to validate that claim?

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
...Are you going to validate that claim?
Mumbo might have taken your comment to mean jumping out of eggroll or gaining a jump like falcon gets after a kick. Trust us here, Yoshi's recovery is already almost completely free. And no, rolling off stage does not rob you of your double jump, It never has in PM. Eggroll off stage, exit eggroll and jump back, no loss of double jump. If you start eggroll in the air, yes it does steal your double jump, but if it didn't Yoshi would be so broken. Because if you want to recover with eggroll and jump after exit, you'll have full armor getting back to stage because you'll be so close. This makes Yoshi unkillable until high percents or blast zones.
Once again, trust some of the most knowledgeable (and best) Yoshi players here, Yoshi's recovery is already very good and doesn't need to be touched

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Mumbo might have taken your comment to mean jumping out of eggroll or gaining a jump like falcon gets after a kick. Trust us here, Yoshi's recovery is already almost completely free. And no, rolling off stage does not rob you of your double jump, It never has in PM. Eggroll off stage, exit eggroll and jump back, no loss of double jump. If you start eggroll in the air, yes it does steal your double jump, but if it didn't Yoshi would be so broken. Because if you want to recover with eggroll and jump after exit, you'll have full armor getting back to stage because you'll be so close. This makes Yoshi unkillable until high percents or blast zones.
Once again, trust some of the most knowledgeable (and best) Yoshi players here, Yoshi's recovery is already very good and doesn't need to be touched
Yeah i had interpretted it that way.

And if you straight up roll off stage/platforms with eggroll you do keep your jump. If you time it right, eggroll of ledge into reverse double jump is a very quick ledgesteal. You can sit away from the ledge to bait the opponent into recovering for ledge and then steal ledge very quickly though timing and execution are very strict.

pugwishbone17

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pugwishbone
idunno guyz i think yoshi shoold get like 6 jumps. hasnt anyone here played yoshi's island? it's canon

Top Bottom