• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Link

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Just don't underestimate the range on it. It will snap to you and you'll be upset, LOL!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Shiri, I hate that. The animation looks weird too. I always get so angry after being grabbed like that. >_>

Also, I think Link has a bair after his dthrow, but I don't know if it's guaranteed or not.

:027:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I believe I tried air dodging it before but got hit anyways. I may have timed it wrong, though. Also, I believe you can DI away from it to make it not work. When I tried it on someone they bounced too far away.

:027:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I watched the video, and it seems you can just bair him as he pulls the bomb and recovers back to the ledge. Or you can nair him, or dair, or whichever. I don't think this means we have to stay away from the ledge, since if he doesn't already have a bomb in his hand, it's not an immediate threat.

I think stages with platforms akin to the ones on PS1 are good for fighting Link to help us get around his projectiles and other things.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
I find this match up not so easy after playing a few really good Links.
Alot like ZSS, the real fight doesn't really start until you get past all those projectiles. Which can be quite a difficult taks.

Link apparently has some kind of jab lock the leads to his grab. I tried to double jump out of it since it keeps you in the air, but it was hopeless. :(

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The matchup is still not a good one, but I've changed my mind on how severe it is.

Start using DR and Link gets blasted something nasty. It still doesn't help your defenses much unless your DR is so beast that you DJ through projectiles, but on the offensive front, it makes the fight much much much easier and I will even live with calling this slightly less than even.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's not the projectiles.

And I do not know of any videos to reference, as if people play this matchup enough for those. I have just been playing it since it existed and against good Links, I think it's a problem. Doesn't what'shisblaze live in NJ? Try playing him at a tournament or something to get a feel for it.

bigman40

Smash Master
Link is frustrating cause of his walls. Granted that ToonLink can put up much better walls, Link has annoying range and surprising speed that catches people off guard multiple times. You should want to shield his whole jab combo (it's his GTFO move), and DI the **** out of his Usmash. Dsmash and Fsmash can be annoying if you aren't ready to react quick enough, but if he's staling the move too, then it still works in your favor so long as you aren't getting hit with other moves.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: When we do Link v. Yoshi again, can you not use DR this time?

It was really quite frustrating. D:<

bigman40

Smash Master
Sure. I can still fight Links pretty decently w/o it.

Edit: Plus, That's the point of DR lol. I do it to frustrate people when they're trying to read me.

.Marik

is a social misfit
^ Legan is to Link like Xyro is to Samus.

Perfectly understandable.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Elaborate? :O
:yoshi: The problem with comboing or just even linking simple attacks together as Yoshi against fatties is...

...you always run the risk of them landing and then putting up a powershield because you will inevitably have to take to the air if you do more than one or two moves and plan on continuing to advance.

DR keeps you mobile and grounded so you can use moves that have enough range and duration to cover landing lag as well as keeping the enemy incapacitated. This also works with King Dedede to an extent, but he will grab you eventually, so it's whatever.

Link has a hard time defending against the speed of DR and how it boosts Yoshi's ground game.

I'm changing my opinion to very close to even. If you could jump out of projectile powershields like in Melee, this would instantly tip to Yoshi's favor just because you would be able to DR out of powershielding some random projectile into massive amounts of ground-based destruction.

Yoshi has a hard time on the defensive end of this matchup. DR really brings his offensive game up to snuff, however. Learn it. Use it.

bigman40

Smash Master
:yoshi: The problem with comboing or just even linking simple attacks together as Yoshi against fatties is...

...you always run the risk of them landing and then putting up a powershield because you will inevitably have to take to the air if you do more than one or two moves and plan on continuing to advance.

DR keeps you mobile and grounded so you can use moves that have enough range and duration to cover landing lag as well as keeping the enemy incapacitated. This also works with King Dedede to an extent, but he will grab you eventually, so it's whatever.

Link has a hard time defending against the speed of DR and how it boosts Yoshi's ground game.

I'm changing my opinion to very close to even. If you could jump out of projectile powershields like in Melee, this would instantly tip to Yoshi's favor just because you would be able to DR out of powershielding some random projectile into massive amounts of ground-based destruction.

Yoshi has a hard time on the defensive end of this matchup. DR really brings his offensive game up to snuff, however. Learn it. Use it.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

MetaYoshi14

Smash Rookie
It might seem stupid, but if you can smash Link far enough and go to them and try to F-air them, most people tend to counter with Link's B-air, and what really happens is that they knock you away so that you can recover once again, and the Link is falling straight to the pit.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I just played Sasook for two hours.

Link is pretty epic. F*ck me if he doesn't level up on every last stock.

I only got a couple DRs in with this new control scheme I'm using, but as long as Yoshis can avoid the friggin Super Saiyan mode he kept going into every last stock, I'm switching my opinion to very very close to even for now.

Without DR, it's doable.

DR makes this matchup winnable and flashily so.

Those snappy hookshot grabs make me so angry, LOL.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
just stay slightly airborne, force him to try and throw his boomerang or bomb or something, egg lay him between throws (or nair or something, basically just hit him :p), and now that he in the air, you can uair or bair him. When he hits the ground immediatly grab release to a reverse bair offstage. kill with dair. offstage dair is the shiz in this matchup. thats what i do and ive never lost to a link before. plus im not even that good compared to most lol

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I personally always seem to catch the drift and use it against Link. More like a Sonic-sped Yoshi kind of deal vs Link. Always seems to work for me.

Yikarur

Smash Master
bumb because I love bumping threads,
Any opinions on this match-up?
Experience? Gimpin Strategies? chaingrab folow ups? whatever? =D

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hmm, I haven't played this in a while.

I would imagine without DR it's still annoying to play, though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I have lots of experience here, and its very easy. Eggs aren't amazing unless there are platforms or you're at a place like rainbow cruise, bair eats through arrows and boomerang like nobody's buisness, when we are up close link's fastest move is 7 frames (maybe 6 or 8 but you get it) so we **** him up close, and CG -> nair offstage leads to a kill at any damage if you edgeguard correctly, and a 60%ish kill without the need of edge guard. Basically we **** him. HARD. Basically if you land 1 hit just keep the pressure and you should get a kill. I've never had any problem with this MU but you do have to play aggressive because he can win in a camping game

Top Bottom