• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yuna's Spectacular Guide to DI - The Art to Survival

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
From experience from tournaments and watching videos, I've concluded that a lot of people SUCK at DI. Even some of the top players are pretty bad at DI:ing or at least DI:ing versus certain characters. So, even though I'll be helping my enemies, I've decided to put together a DI guide of spectacular DI!

Every single attack from every single character in the game will be listed and there will be two DI:s for each attack: "Non-comboability" and "Survival". "Non-comboability" stands for the DI one needs to apply in order to minimalize the chances of the opponent being able to combo you. "Survival" is the DI you need to input to survive longer.

Obviously, the "Survival" DI is situational. For example, if you're grabbed at the edge of Pokémon Stadium by a Peach facing the edge at 115%, you should use the "Survival" DI in expectance of the fthrow. However, if she grabs you at the edge facing away from the edge at 135%, you should input no DI at all or a slight DI upwards, but mostly away from her! Using the "Survival" DI here will actually kill you as opposed to using the latter. Certain attacks will also have alternate trajectories based on when in the attack you are hit. Therefore, all "Survival" DI inputs are based on if you're hit by an attack/eat the beginning of an throw by a person facing the edge at the edge of a stage. Also, for some attacks, the DI varies depending on whether you're hit by the back or front of the attack.

Also, bear in mind that "Survival" means "Not going off the top or the sides and DYING". It doesn't take into account recoveries of crappiness such as Falco's. Better alive than dead on impact. However, those with recoveries of spectacular suckiness should consider sometimes just not DI:ing some attacks at all in order to end up closer to the stage.

Also, all attacks have certain percentages at which you don't have to DI to avoid beind comboed. Heck, you'll DIE if you do. Switch to "Survival" instead or choose not to DI at all depending on attack and percentage.

Sheik:

1st jab:
Non-comboability: Away from her
Survival: Upwards and towards her

2nd jab:

Rapid jabs:

Dashattack:
Survival: Away from her

F-tilt:

U-tilt:
Survival: Upwards and towards him

D-tilt:

F-smash:
Non-comboability: Crouch Cancel the 1st hit and shield/grab/C-stick smash the 2nd. Shielding the 2nd hit might knock you far away enough to prevent a grab. She cannot combo from this attack :p.

U-smash:

D-smash:

Nair:

Fair:
Non-comboability: Away from her. Away from her and downwards or downwards if you can hit the ground from it without her landing and comboing.
Special-DI: If she fairs you with you pretty much inside of her, you can DI towards her and you'll get knocked in the opposite direction.
Survival: Upwards and towards her (you go less distance and slightly upwards instead of and towards her (you go less distance) instead of slightly downwards.

Bair:
Non-comboability:
Away from her

Uair:

Dair:

Fthrow:
Non-comboability: Impossible to DI

Bthrow:

Uthrow:
Non-comboability: Impossible to DI, DI towards or away from her after the initial hit

Dthrow:
NTSC:
Non-comboability: For some, impossible to DI, you can try away from her. For others, towards her.
PAL:Non-comboability: Always DI downwards and away from her

Neutral B (Needles):
Survival: Set knockback

Forward B (Chain):

Up B (Vanish):

Down B (Transform):
Non-comboability: Impossible to hit with
Survival: Impossible to hit with

Fox:

1st jab:
Non-comboability: Away from him

2nd jab:

Rapid jabs:

Dashattack:

F-tilt:

U-tilt:
Survival: Away from him

D-tilt:

F-smash:
Non-comboability: Pick your DI, any DI. Depends on where on the stage you are and your percentage.

U-smash:

D-smash:
Non-comboability: Pick your DI, any DI. Depends on where on the stage you are and your percentage.

Fair:
Non-comboability: Away from him.

Bair:

Bair:

Uair:
Survival: DI towards the direction from which he's coming at you and upwards. This will make the 2nd hit miss. To survive the 2nd hit longer, DI towards him.

Dair:

Fthrow:
Survival: Impossible to DI

Bthrow:

Uthrow:
Non-comboability: Behind him
Survival: Behind him

Dthrow:
Non-comboability: Away from him/behind him, tech. To practice timing, let Fox downthrow Peach and time the tech on when you hear Peach scream.
Survival: Impossible to kill with, will meteor smash you if he throws you right at the edge.

Neutral B (Laser):
Non-comboability: No knockback
Survival: No knockback

Forward B (Fox Illusion):
Non-comboability: Crouch Cancel or DI away from him

Up B (Firefox):

Down B (Shine):
Non-comboability: Pick your Di, any DI. To prevent yourself from beind shinecomboed on the ground, DI away from him. In the air, DI towards the stage to tech off it if possible.

Marth:

Jab:

Dashattack:

F-tilt:

U-tilt:

D-tilt:

F-smash:
Non-comboability: No DI (or away from him at low percentages)

U-smash:

D-smash:

Nair:

Fair:

Bair:
Non-comboability: No DI (or away from him at low percentages)

Uair:

Dair:
Survival NTSC: None, you DIE or hit the ground (tech!). If it acts as a launcher, away from him.
Survival PAL: Meteor cancel! If you hit the ground, tech! If it acts as a launcher, away from him.

Fthrow:

Bthrow:

Uthrow:

Dthrow:

Neutral B (Shieldbreaker):

Forward B (Dance of Blades):
Survival: All hits except the final blows should be DI:ed away from him except for the Dance that ends with a series of jabs with the sword in quick succession. That should also be DI:ed away from him. The rest of the final blows should be DI:ed upwards and towards him

Up B (Dolphin Slash):
Non-comboability: Pick your DI, any DI

Down B (Counter):
Survival: Set knockback. DI it upwards and towards him.

Peach:

1st jab:

2nd jab:

Dashattack:

F-tilt:

U-tilt:

D-tilt:

F-smash:
Non-comboability: Tennis raquet & Golf club: Impossible to DI, Frying pan: Away from her
Survival: Tennis raquet & Golf club: Impossible to DI, Frying pan: Away from her

U-smash:

D-smash:
Non-comboability: Upwards

Nair:

Fair:
Non-comboability: Upwards and towards her

Bair:

Uair:

Dair:

Fthrow:
Non-comboability: Pick your DI, any DI

Bthrow:
Non-comboability: Pick a DI, any DI
Survival: Upwards and away from her (which is really towards her)

Uthrow:
Non-comboability: Impossible to DI, you can DI after it hits (away from her)

Dthrow:
Non-comboability: Away from her and downwards

Neutral B (Toad):

Forward B (Peach Bomber):

Up B (Parasol):

Down B (Pluck):
Survival: Impossible to hit with

Bob-ombs & Grandfather turnips:
Non-comboability: It would be wise to DI to survive, but away from her works too
Survival: Upwards and towards the direction from which it came

Turnips, Mr. Saturn:
Non-comboability: Pick a DI, any DI, away from her
Survival: Upwards and towards the direction from which they came

Falco:

1st jab:

2nd jab:

Rapid jabs:

Dashattack:

F-tilt:

U-tilt:

D-tilt:

F-smash:

U-smash:

D-smash:

Fair:

Bair:

Uair:
Survival: DI towards the direction from which he's coming at you and upwards. This will make the 2nd hit miss.

Dair:
NTSC:

Survival: You DIE
PAL:
Non-comboability: The last part of the attack can be DI:ed away from him
Survival: The last part of the attack can be DI:ed away from him

Fthrow:

Bthrow:

Uthrow:

Dthrow:
Non-comboability: Away from him/behind him, tech. To practice timing, let Falco downthrow Peach and time the tech on when you hear Peach scream.
Survival: Impossible to kill with, will meteor smash you if he throws you right at the edge

Forward B (Falco Fantasm):
Non-comboability: Crouch Cancel or DI away from him
Survival: Meteor cancel

Up B (Firebird):

Down B (Shine):

That's all for now kiddies. The guide will be updated soon. If I've listed wrongful information, please inform me and I'll edit it. This was just off the top of my head at 01:00 AM.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
I believe you're supposed to DI behind marth when u-tilted, or you won't go anywhere... this is for not getting comboes, obviously.
Shine hasn't got a set knockback, at least when airborne, so DI affects you greatly when it comes to surviving shinespikes.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I always DI Marth's utilt behind him so it was just a guess. I'll change it. And I forgot about aerial shine >_<'.

Relentless16

Smash Apprentice
omg ive been waiting for this since last year good job ! ( and they said it wasnt possible >_>)

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
DI'ing towards Sheik's anything is a bad idea 90% of the time. Especially her jabs at high damage. You might want to elaborate on that.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The "Survival DI" is meant to be input at percentages at which you might die from the attacks. Obviously, dying from jabs requires you to have several hundred percents of damage, at which point it is impossible to combo you from the jab, so you should switch to survival DI (if you're fast enough). The same goes for the tilts.

In order to DI correctly, one must not only know what attacks one is DI:ing but also what percentage one is at (depending on falling speed).

The preface to the DI guide states all of this and more. I really wish people would read it before asking questions.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
You should specify certain moves towards different falling speed chars. E.G: Marth's up throw vs Fox/Falco compared to vs Ganondorf. Not all chars, but just chars that have certain techniques commonly used against (marth's chainthrow on FFers, Fox chainthrow on FFers, etc).

Falco fsmash:
Survival : up and towards,
but, Point blank, towards only, since you will fly upwards and a little behind him, you don't want to hold up too much.
Iss sum good ish.

EDIT: well, that's sketchy. by towards at point blank, I mean like... if you're on the right, and you're flying up and left, hold left, you won't go left toooo far. at point blank... ya.... effing Ice

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Wow! This guide is very nice! *submits endorsement for a STICKY from the mods* I'll need to read over it a couple times to internalize it all.

The Cape

Smash Master
Helios said:
I believe you're supposed to DI behind marth when u-tilted, or you won't go anywhere... this is for not getting comboes, obviously.
Shine hasn't got a set knockback, at least when airborne, so DI affects you greatly when it comes to surviving shinespikes.
If you smash DI up and towards the level you have the greatest chance of survival.

phish-it

Smash Champion
The Cape said:
If you smash DI up and towards the level you have the greatest chance of survival.
Yeah but it depends which part of the attack you get hit by, because Marth's up-tilt can kill you vertically if hi from below.

TherealSD

Smash Rookie
Also with marths U tilt being a marth player if you DI behind him it will set you up for a lot of combos... Personally i would DI up then when coming back down try to either air dogde through him. Going behing him he can just pivit and do it again... At least this is what i have done to others. But maybe im wrong.

The Cape

Smash Master
phish-it said:
Yeah but it depends which part of the attack you get hit by, because Marth's up-tilt can kill you vertically if hi from below.
My fault.

I meant for the shine spike.

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
I sincerely apologize for asking this, but even after reading through the faq on the terminology in this forum I've yet to figure out exactly HOW to DI and what it specifically does.

Could someone please fill me in on it?

Gate Everest

Banned via Administration
Master Chibi said:
I sincerely apologize for asking this, but even after reading through the faq on the terminology in this forum I've yet to figure out exactly HOW to DI and what it specifically does.

Could someone please fill me in on it?
Take your control stick and point it in the direction it tells you to. The goal of this DI is to influence, not nullify/oppose, the direction an attack hits you with (which is why, for survival, you go 90 degrees to the flightpath of the attack). Then there's Smash DI, which... well, that's a bit more complex. This guide seems to only cover regular (and by effect, ASDI).

Smash DI is basically just moving your characters actual body during the hitlag of an attack by smashing the control stick around like a madman.

Anyway, one thing I noticed. You say Sheik's needles have set knockback, but that doesn't appear to be so, at least in the NTSC version I have. At 999 there is a very definite difference in knockback (each needle sends you flying and skidding like it's outer space), but even at that percentage there is little chance of death anyway, so it's negligible. Just a bit of trivia.

Master Chibi

Smash Cadet
Ok (please continue to pardon my ignorance), so let me get this straight, DI is done as I'm physically being hit? At any point during 'hitstun', ie while I'm in the air? DI is simply pressing the control stick in certain directions which will better influence one to either not be comboed or to survive a big 'smash' attack that has sent me off the edge (but has not killed me in the process)?

Yes, no?

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
For Marth's fthrow at low %, isn't it safer as some characters (like Peach) to DI towards him to avoid getting tippered? To the extent of my knowledge, you can't escape his fthrow-fthrow-fsmash combo at 0%.

Gate Everest

Banned via Administration
Master Chibi said:
Ok (please continue to pardon my ignorance), so let me get this straight, DI is done as I'm physically being hit? At any point during 'hitstun', ie while I'm in the air? DI is simply pressing the control stick in certain directions which will better influence one to either not be comboed or to survive a big 'smash' attack that has sent me off the edge (but has not killed me in the process)?

Yes, no?
Smash DI is actually moving your character's body during the hitlag; it requires that you be smashing the stick around during the few frames of hitlag that occur after every attack.

Regular DI is just affecting your trajectory, and all it requires is that you be holding your control stick when you're released from hitlag - that is, the moment you start flying. This doesn't mean you have to smash it in at that exact moment; indeed, you could've been holding your stick in that position for the entire match, and it will still pick up the DI. This guide focuses on just regular DI. So when it says 'upwards and towards her', all you have to do is hold the stick in that direction until you've actually been sent flying.

Zander805

Smash Ace
WOW!!! This guide is awsome! Thanks a bunch, I'm gonna start looking at some character's move sets so they won't be able to combo me. ^^

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I disagree only with Marth's forward B.

Since he moves forward, away will allow the third strike to hit you. If you DI toward him you can end up behind him or hit him before the third swing comes out.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
FalseFalco said:
I disagree only with Marth's forward B.

Since he moves forward, away will allow the third strike to hit you. If you DI toward him you can end up behind him or hit him before the third swing comes out.
I agree with that. :)

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
I think it depends on the character you use. Like for instance Fox vs Marth, when Marth uthrows Fox the best thing I found is to DI up then try to shine right before he grabs you again. This doesn't always work but between 15 and 30/35% it will usually keep him from chain grabbing you. Just my thought, bc each character should DI differently according to who they play against. DI for Peach wouldn't always be the same as DI for CFalcon to not get combo'ed. The survival thing is a different story, that mostly applies to everyone with probably a few exceptions.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Awesome guide so far, but it definatly needs how to DI Captian Falcon. And maybe Samus too.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I finally got enough time to reply to this thread:

chesterr01: I already specified in the preface that my guide isn't complete in all situations and stuff. I'm gonna wait 'til it has more data before adding stuff like that.

Alternate DI:s like Falco's fsmash at point blank range is like adding alternate DI:s for reverse fairs and nairs.

phish-it Marth's utilt always kills you vertically unless you input the wrong DI >_>'.

TheresalSD: Situational. For survival, do not DI up. At low percentages, the utilt must be DI:ed behind him. Any other DI will just prolong the combo a bit. As a fastfaller, go figure. You're a fastfaller. Accept it.

ZeldaFreak0309: You are correct. I, however, DI away from him to stop the chaingrab from continuing and then immediately switch to Tipper-survival DI when I see him go for an fsmash.

Gate_Everest: Not according to what I've heard and experienced. Smash DI is calculated by the input you're inputting during the hitlag. For every frame of hitlag, you can input a new smash DI, which, of course, is impossible to do. However, holding the C-stick/control stick/both (during which the C-stick will override the control stick) in a certain direction before the hit connects (and of course still holding it when it does connect) will Smash DI you as well. Using this, you can DI with the control stick and smash DI in another direction with the C-stick. If Smash DI required frame-precise DI, no one would be able to do it much.

FalseFalco: This also falls into the situational category and depends on if you're a fastfaller or not. Floatier characters can DI away and airdodge. Also, depending on which Dance he's doing, DI:ing towards him is a bad idea. Also, he could just stop the dance after 2-3 hits and fair/dair/grab you.

Captain Falcon & Samus DI: Coming soon!

Queen

Smash Apprentice
Under Fox you have two bairs listed. I assume one of them is a nair. Granted, they both have the same advice for DI...

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
Awesome guide, Yuna. I hope that I'll be able to compete against you on the next SSBM tournament I'll be in, even though I'll get completely owned. ^_^;

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Gate_Everest: Not according to what I've heard and experienced. Smash DI is calculated by the input you're inputting during the hitlag. For every frame of hitlag, you can input a new smash DI, which, of course, is impossible to do.
However, holding the C-stick/control stick/both (during which the C-stick will override the control stick) in a certain direction before the hit connects (and of course still holding it when it does connect) will Smash DI you as well. Using this, you can DI with the control stick and smash DI in another direction with the C-stick. If Smash DI required frame-precise DI, no one would be able to do it much.

FalseFalco: This also falls into the situational category and depends on if you're a fastfaller or not. Floatier characters can DI away and airdodge. Also, depending on which Dance he's doing, DI:ing towards him is a bad idea. Also, he could just stop the dance after 2-3 hits and fair/dair/grab you.

Captain Falcon & Samus DI: Coming soon!
Not quite. The c-stick can only be used for automatic Smash DI, which isn't inputed until the very last frame of hitlag. Holding the control stick will also only produce ASDI, but it is over-ruled by the c-stick. Holding both sticks will still only produce one ASDI, but it will allow you to ASDI in one direction and DI the attack itself another direction.

The first two neutral hits of the dancing blade send you slightly up and towards Marth, so DIing away will not neccesarily save you from the third hit. DIing towards is a better idea, because it would not only save you from the third hit, but if Marth were to stop the dance, he wouldn't have time to hit you because the first two hits have terrible stun. You should also put the DIs for the different variations of the dancing blade.

2nd hit up- non comboability, away
-survival, away
3rd hit up- non comboability- away (towards will often get you hit by the fourth hit
-survival, away
3rd hit neutral- non comboability-away (and slightly down at low percnetages so that you hit the ground)
-survival, up and towards
3rd hit down- non combo ability, away (tech if you were airborne)
- survival, away (meteor cancel if in air, tech if you hit something)
4th hit up- non comboability, away
-survival, away
4th hit neutral- non comboability, away
- survival, up and towards
4th hit down- non combo ability, away and up if your near the tip, up and towards if your near the hilt, DI the last hit away (if you get hit by it.)
-survival, same as above, except DI the last hit up and towards

DIing Marth's u-throw away is just asking for a fair for most characters, it'd be better if they either DI'd towards him, or not at all, because then they could jump or airdodge before Marth can utilt them. He could probably still get a uair though.

Also, you got the survival DI on Marth's up B wrong. Marth's up B is primarily a horizontal killer, and only sends you up if you are overlapping Marth when he hits you. The DI you put would be the special DI, but the survival DI is up and towards him.

Marth's uair is easier to combo out of if they DI away from him (in most cases). He just combos them with fairs. Your better off taking the utilt and DIing that.

Marth is really going to be the hard one, because he's really got two movesets.

His downsmash sends you away and slightly up when hilted, his bair sends you foward if it hits in front of the vertical line above his head, his up tilt sends you away and up when hilted in front of him, when the sword arcs past his head it sends you up and in front of him instead of up and back, ect.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I didn't think I should make a new thread for this. Are you sure that it's impossible to DI Falco's down air? It always looks like when people DI it away they go farther away.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
You can DI Falco's dair, same as any attack. If you want to go away as far as possible you need to DI away and slightly up.
Quite possibly a SDI input away (and the resulting plain away DI) will net more distance than regular DI, especially when you're getting hit close to the ground.

Top Bottom