• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YYG out of shield

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
So at first I didn't think this was possible because you need the cstick to jump cancel upsmashes out of shields and you can't charge the usmash with the cstick. Then i remembered you can if you press Z.

I guess my question is, does this work.

and if it does is it even applicable. I could see it working if people like spacing attacks on your shield so that they are out of your grab range. However I don't know if the usmash come out fast enough.

Any thoughts?

Levitas

the moon
Yes it works.

No, it's not particularly effective. People watch for attacks when you're shielding and the Usmash is pretty slow.

I still like to do JC Usmashes from dashes and mixup when I approach if I go for a YYG.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
thats a pretty good idea, against an obvious marth fsmash or something.

Reik had a good technique back in the day CC'ing Dtilits immediately into a charged upsmash.

hitting someone with dtilts will automatically make them di away and dtilts themselves space characters just right for setting up the yyg.

techchasing with your upsmash is probably the safest and most reliable setup though.,

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I might wanna try out the yyg out of shield thing, but i agree with levitas, it seems like it will be too slow.

the dtilt idea sounds sexy,
i basically tech chase with it too or punish laggy moves with wavedash yyg.

this is sounding more like a "how can i land a yyg during a match" thread.

have people been able to combo into it?
I was able to pull off uthrow > djc fair > yyg on matt.zebs falco in friendlies last weekend. It felt really good lol.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
yea djc fairs are def a nice setup,

another yyg setup on space animals atreally low percents is. dthrow, dashattack reverse upsmash.

Levitas

the moon
I dunno. It seems like whenever I get a grab on space animals on most stages, uthrow > uairs > bair is a better option.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
I dunno. It seems like whenever I get a grab on space animals on most stages, uthrow > uairs > bair is a better option.
everyone knows ness combos only succeed when they end in a charged upsmash.

its like C. falcons knee, but less like an electric leg joint and more like a yo-yo...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Does it work? Technically speaking yes it does for the reasons you said, it's an upsmash you can charge.

Is it practical? No, because if you upsmash OoS, you're more likely going to catch people jumping out, or jumping in at you; meaning you wont be hitting with the first hit box.

__

Now, if you can put your shield up and trick people into running in for grabs (and running into the hitbox), that's a different story, but good luck with that.

PSI-Apocalypse

Smash Apprentice
You don't need the c-stick to do the Usmash out of shield, I do it with the normal stick and the A button. It's useful to dash attacks, I use it often

Top Bottom