• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda MU Advice

Boiko

:drshrug:
Hey guys,

I recently picked up Tink to cover some of Ness' less than favorable MU. One MU Ness has a relatively hard time with is Zelda. On flat stages like GHZ, and FD Ness doesn't struggle too much, but when she can camp under/on top of platforms, he tends to have a much more difficult time.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is a MU that Tink does well in or if he he has a hard time. I haven't had a chance to pull him out against our local Zelda player yet, so I don't really have any input. For what it's worth, I understand Tink's tools pretty well and I have an overall firm understanding of his mechanics. I'm just not exactly sure how to implement them here.

Thanks everyone!

Shrug

Smash Cadet
Most of my experience with this matchup is based on 3.0 Zelda, so some of this might be outdated.

Toon Link has a lot of tools that are really good against Zelda. What it boils down to is Toon Link's mid-range and close-range strengths. You can dash dance and throw projectiles at mid-range to bait out Din's Fire, Nayru's Love, or some other equally punishable option and then use your superior mobility to punish her. Din's Fire is pretty easy to avoid, and you can just clank it with nair or something if it's coming right at you.

Hitting her with a bomb at this mid-range hitconfirms into some pretty good damage for Toon Link. At lower percents, I prefer to hit with up air. Zelda can have some serious trouble coming down, especially against a move as good as Toon Link's up air. She might opt to teleport down to the stage. You should be able to catch her where she reappears with some experience.

There's also Toon Link's bread and butter bair -> (possibly a second bair) -> up b, which is pretty nice on a character who is generally pretty difficult to combo.

If you manage to land a grab, up throw is good at low and mid percents. After that, you have your DI mixup between down throw and forward throw.

Let's see, that's all I can think of for this matchup right now. Again, some of it might be outdated, but hopefully it will help.

Boiko

Thanks, Shrug. I appreciate the input. I definitely feel like getting her into the air and keeping her up there is pretty much the best strategy.

If anyone else has anything more to add, I appreciate it.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
TL is fine against Zelda. You want to stick to really basic tools and just abuse things that punish her flaws (your movement, punish game and ability to not over extend until you have a projectile hitconfirm). If she uses Nayru's a lot vs your projectiles there's counterplay to this, you can simply wait until she uses it pre-emptively and then punish the end lag with a bomb toss, or z-drop a bomb above her head.

Zelda's fall speed and aerial mobility are garbage, which is a golden combination to just endlessly juggle her for days with TL's disjointed uair. You also kill her mad early from dair/uair bcuz floaty, and up+b is good if you need the extra height to hit her. You have plenty of killing set-ups like bomb/rang/bair etc.

tl;dr just play safe and don't over extend until you can convert into a juggle, then just go ham.

Last edited:

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
Nayru's Love leaves Zelda vulnerable above her. You can get a free dair on her head every time she neutral Bs, trying to alleviate projectile pressure.

Backair at low percents creates easy combos against Zelda too.

Boiko

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I appreciate it a ton. I'll start practicing up.

Top Bottom