• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZeRo's Bowser vs Nairo's Zelda/Robin- SSB4's Zelda in a competitive atmosphere.

micstar615

Smash Ace
High level Smash players Zero and @ Nairo Nairo go head to head here in this set. Nairo uses Zelda and Robin while ZeRo just used Bowser. Bowser has been deemed a top tier character so far by a lot of people in the community, it was nice to see Zelda go toe to toe with such a strong character used by one of the best players in both Brawl and PM, and she surprisingly held up quite well. Nairo was no slouch and he did a really good job with both Zelda and Robin.

http://youtu.be/53G3xgDJ9y4

So what are your guys' thoughts? Wil our favourite princess be more viable this time?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
More viable than brawl? This already seems like a yes to me. As for truly good character? I certain can't tell for sure yet. It feels like tons of characters haven't really even gotten use by a good player to the public eye yet, and the rest have only gotten a couple DAYS of work in anyways.

I'm pretty interested to see what Nairo would say on the matter though, as he's probably gotten to play zelda competitively the most out of anyone in the WORLD (to make it sound big) right now.

Aibou

Smash Master
I saw that vid earlier. It kinda seemed like the matchup is pretty close, but we'll probably have to play really defensively because Bowser can stuff our approaches for free.

I dunno but I really like the way Zelda's looking in this game. Can't say for sure if she'll be great, but she at least looks a lot better than before. Just being able to actually recover for a change is a huge plus for me.

micstar615

Smash Ace
More viable than brawl? This already seems like a yes to me. As for truly good character? I certain can't tell for sure yet. It feels like tons of characters haven't really even gotten use by a good player to the public eye yet, and the rest have only gotten a couple DAYS of work in anyways.

I'm pretty interested to see what Nairo would say on the matter though, as he's probably gotten to play zelda competitively the most out of anyone in the WORLD (to make it sound big) right now.
Yeah, she's looking MUCH better than Brawl, everything about her just seems much faster. I feel the balance in this game is pretty good overall so far.

I saw that vid earlier. It kinda seemed like the matchup is pretty close, but we'll probably have to play really defensively because Bowser can stuff our approaches for free.

I dunno but I really like the way Zelda's looking in this game. Can't say for sure if she'll be great, but she at least looks a lot better than before. Just being able to actually recover for a change is a huge plus for me.
Bowser just WRECKS, he's so fast and strong both on the ground and in the air, he's going to be a threat for sure, Zelda is going to have a difficult time approaching him. Luckily, her grabs seem much faster which is great. I wish Phantom and Din's were a bit better tbh, but they're pretty good to force approaches. And I agree, Zelda is looking very solid :)

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't help but notice that Robin had a much easier time with Bowser than Zelda. Besides the SDs, it might not have been totally in Bowser's advantage if Zelda didn't go helpless after a Din's Fire in the air.

I'm wondering if Zelda should have been trying to get close to Bowser most of the time, especially when she sent him offstage.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I couldn't help but notice that Robin had a much easier time with Bowser than Zelda. Besides the SDs, it might not have been totally in Bowser's advantage if Zelda didn't go helpless after a Din's Fire in the air.

I'm wondering if Zelda should have been trying to get close to Bowser most of the time, especially when she sent him offstage.
Speaking as someone with access to the Japanese version, Zelda chasing Bowser off-stage has great reward for low risk most of the time, so definitely try to do this. Also, this video had me cringing the entire time, both as a Bowser main from Melee and Brawl and as someone who has a friend that is a Zelda main from Brawl. Here are some tips that every Zelda player should keep in mind.

Ledge Recovery
- Do not freaking let go of the ledge and regrab the ledge after your invincibility runs out. ZeRo was a fool and didn't walk up for the angled down forward tilt.
- You can still instagrab a ledge just as in Brawl. This WILL LEDGE TRUMP. As soon as someone is ledge trumped, they lose ledge invincibility and can easily eat a bair before being able to act again. Think of ways to force this for your lightning kicks.
- Don't up b too close to a character with a disjointed aerial. The start up may be reduced, but you can still eat something like Bowser's fair to the face before the move can execute. The only thing saving Zelda players is the fear people have of the initial hit box, and that fear will go away with practice.

Nairo

Banned via Administration

Late response yeah I know but better late than never! Zelda is definitely more viable than brawl, she isn't like an AMAZING character but certainly not as bad as brawl, she has match ups where she does quite well in and some that she currently seems to struggle with (like little mac). I can see her being like mid tier or something in the future but i'll always use her even if I end up not maining her because to me she is fun!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Just some information @ Nairo Nairo has shared:

Re: Nair cancel follow-ups

MAYBE on big characters like bowser a nair > kick would work but ive never landed it on any other smaller character I usually go for a nair cancel > grab or nair cancel dtilt > nair > follow up now that I'm thinking about it a nair > downsmash may work which goes toooo

Re: Down smash

It isn't a bad move its weaker than brawl but not drastically so it could be used sometimes but the reason I don't do it a lot is because of the circle pad sometimes I would have down tilt come out and not downsmash when I would want downsmash but that won't be a problem on the wii u version!

Can't thank you on your profile so I'll do it here. Thanks! :)

Top Bottom