• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I wish Smash fans would care more about how the game plays and less about the characters in the game

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I keep saying that the easiest way to freshen up the gameplay for casual and competitive alike is to introduce a proper super move system (alongside keeping Final Smash exclusive to Smash Balls). It would give a lot of the older characters some new toys to play with alongside consolidating a lot of the gimmicks of other characters.
Yeah, maybe. But that is still harder to visualise and far less appealing than "one of my favorite characters being playable in Smash". Again, it could be great and make the game better by itself, but it is more of a floating, nebulous notion to most players.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Then they should make the multiplayer meat of the game better designed then. That's not an exclusively competitive concept.
What is wrong with the MP part? The only argument that I have seen is that the MP is not as fast as Melee. I get you want to change move sets but the move sets are all really well done right now. Perhaps the clones could use more moves but outside of that, most the move sets are very fleshed out.

I think surpassing Ultimate is going to be a massive challenge as it is pretty flawless on the MP side IMO. That is why my posts focus on Single Player which is pretty boring at the moment.

Online play could be better as well.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
What is wrong with the MP part? The only argument that I have seen is that the MP is not as fast as Melee. I get you want to change move sets but the move sets are all really well done right now. Perhaps the clones could use more moves but outside of that, most the move sets are very fleshed out.

I think surpassing Ultimate is going to be a massive challenge as it is pretty flawless on the MP side IMO. That is why my posts focus on Single Player which is pretty boring at the moment.

Online play could be better as well.
Fundamentally the biggest challenge is the specials are terrible & boring.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Thing is, I don't want movesets to be changed on the animation side (though there are a few I'd like to see).

I want movesets changed on the functional side. As it stands now, movesets are very unsynergistic and there's a relative lack of methods to capitalize on setups. You often end up using the most reliable 10% of a whole moveset.

There's no need for the game to be as fast as Melee; just a reason for moveset functions to be better designed. Actually, a universal jump cancel for up-tilts and upward-launching d-tilts would be a good start.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Thing is, I don't want movesets to be changed on the animation side (though there are a few I'd like to see).

I want movesets changed on the functional side. As it stands now, movesets are very unsynergistic and there's a relative lack of methods to capitalize on setups. You often end up using the most reliable 10% of a whole moveset.

There's no need for the game to be as fast as Melee; just a reason for moveset functions to be better designed. Actually, a universal jump cancel for up-tilts and upward-launching d-tilts would be a good start.
Thanks. In all confession, some of this was a little over my head (although I think I know what you mean). To help explain it better, could you pick a specific character and explain the moves/scenario as an example?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Thanks. In all confession, some of this was a little over my head (although I think I know what you mean). To help explain it better, could you pick a specific character and explain the moves/scenario as an example?
Sure. What I have in mind is if you land an up-tilt with Mario, you can cancel it early with a jump so you have more follow-up options. If you don't land it, you can't cancel with a jump.

That said, this might need to accompany n-airs being semi-universally revamped into aerial jabs.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say that ultimate gets points just for finally removing forced neutral getup. How that ish persisted for two installments is beyond me.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Speaking of getup, maybe Smash should sacrifice all the on-command i-frame dodges for doing the tradfighter thing of making getup invincible.

Yeah, I know floor wakeups already have i-frames, but maybe just get rid of the jab lock/reset thing.

Top Bottom