• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Silly question, but how strongly do people feel that we should get the main character over side characters? I'm asking because smiling friends season 2 has me thinking. I'd be perfectly happy with Pim and Charlie being playable, but I'd much prefer either Mr Boss
View attachment 389318
or President Mr Frog
View attachment 389317
I would personally prefer Charlie and Pim as dual fighters. Hearing Zach Hadel and Michael Cusack make commentary in the middle of a match would be hilarious.

As much as Mr. Frog being playable would be funny, I feel like he'd be a better inclusion as a sort of Assist Trophy. Once summoned, he could run up to a random opponent at hyper-speed, say hello, then eat them.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I think months of NASB2 speculation has soured people on the idea of duo characters.

That said, Angry Beavers show how fun some kits can be if u pull from really creative and out of nowhere points. Like, who expected Beavers to be a Mahvel style character where the beaver that's not being played acts as an assist?

Actually that's what i'm hoping for PPG or animaniacs. Have a point character of your choice and the other 2 become assists. That said, maybe one of those 2 groups will prob play a lot more like Pokemon trainer over Angry beavers.

....platform fighters have become weird as hell haven't they?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I would personally prefer Charlie and Pim as dual fighters. Hearing Zach Hadel and Michael Cusack make commentary in the middle of a match would be hilarious.

As much as Mr. Frog being playable would be funny, I feel like he'd be a better inclusion as a sort of Assist Trophy. Once summoned, he could run up to a random opponent at hyper-speed, say hello, then eat them.
Putting my usual thoughts about dual characters aside, I think we’d be more likely to get Charlie and Pim as two separate characters purely because this game’s emphasis on 2v2 has led to them making any non-Tom and Jerry duos two separate playable characters for each person on a team to play as together. Finn and Jake. Rick and Morty, and now Joker and Harley (there was a whole section of Joker’s trailer devoted to it). It’s what I’ve been saying about Mordecai and Rigby too, they’re not going to put them together when Finn and Jake aren’t.

I think months of NASB2 speculation has soured people on the idea of duo characters.

That said, Angry Beavers show how fun some kits can be if u pull from really creative and out of nowhere points. Like, who expected Beavers to be a Mahvel style character where the beaver that's not being played acts as an assist?

Actually that's what i'm hoping for PPG or animaniacs. Have a point character of your choice and the other 2 become assists. That said, maybe one of those 2 groups will prob play a lot more like Pokemon trainer over Angry beavers.

....platform fighters have become weird as hell haven't they?
This being said, we don’t really have a basis for trio characters yet. I’d definitely prefer PT’ing it over cramming all three PPG or Warners into one controllable huddle. Maybe you could get away with that with the PPG due to their small size but it’d probably look ridiculous with the Warners given Yakko alone is around the same size as Bugs.

But yeah I’m getting tired of “there’s two of them, put them in one slot” in MVS discussion in particular because they’ve never done it like that. T&J are hardly even an exception because how else are you gonna do them?

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I've already talked about it in the past, but I think the comparaison with Nasb makes little to no sense here, because with Nasb and the Beavers you could argue that the second Beavers would have never make it into the game if it wasn't for the duo gimmick. But MVS is a live service game, it's supposed to be update to a very long time. If we get one Powerpuff girls, they could just work on the other 2 later and add them when they're ready. There's no time limits for the development (or at least not in the same way a regular game would).

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Silly question, but how strongly do people feel that we should get the main character over side characters? I'm asking because smiling friends season 2 has me thinking. I'd be perfectly happy with Pim and Charlie being playable, but I'd much prefer either Mr Boss
View attachment 389318
or President Mr Frog
View attachment 389317
If the protagonist is interesting enough, it'd make the most sense for them to get in first. Like, some fans want Muscle Man and Nicole Watterson to be the primary reps for Regular Show and Gumball respectively, and I wouldn't mind them coming later on, but Mordecai, Rigby, and Gumball all have fun personalities and plenty of moveset potential.

An example of me preferring a side character would be wanting Shirley to be the Tiny Toon Adventures rep. Cause other characters might feel too close to their adult counterparts.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I've already talked about it in the past, but I think the comparaison with Nasb makes little to no sense here, because with Nasb and the Beavers you could argue that the second Beavers would have never make it into the game if it wasn't for the duo gimmick. But MVS is a live service game, it's supposed to be update to a very long time. If we get one Powerpuff girls, they could just work on the other 2 later and add them when they're ready. There's no time limits for the development (or at least not in the same way a regular game would).
On paper, yes they can do that.

But the actual problem is that live services are fickle. If they don't find a strong core audience, it runs the risk of getting shut down. You can never bank on a game being always there so better make the best impression right off the bat, which is why i guess they decided to have PPG be 1 character.

Now that gimmick will get old quickly if they keep doing it. Animaniacs, the Edds, etc

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don’t know much about the PowerPuff Girls, but the way I’d handle them as a single character is that the 3 of them would be kind of huddled together, with one of them in front as the main one you’re controlling. However, the majority of their attacks use a specific one of the girls’ abilities, which causes that girl to move into the “main” position while doing the attack. The few moves that don’t cause a character swap have different properties depending on which one is in front. They also have a couple moves where they all attack at once or consecutively.

Additionally, I wonder if there’d be a Byleth-esque thing where each of the girls is associated with a different control stick direction, with the last unused direction (neutral or side maybe?) being used for the non-specific moves.
I think that only one will be out at any time to reduce lag, with the other two simply come out for various attacks similar to Poisandra and Sledge in Battle for the Grid. I think that the perks will simply switch around which girl you control. Also, when it comes to side characters over the main character I'd take Numbuh 4 over Numbuh 1 as a KND rep simply because the former is just much more fitting for a fighting game.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I think that only one will be out at any time to reduce lag,
The PPG are a trio of characters with very simple designs, in a game that’s only on consoles more powerful than the Switch and only supports up to 4 players rather than 8. Admittedly, I don’t know too much about the specifics of how MV is optimized, but I’m sure they could make it work if they wanted to.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The PPG are a trio of characters with very simple designs, in a game that’s only on consoles more powerful than the Switch and only supports up to 4 players rather than 8. Admittedly, I don’t know too much about the specifics of how MV is optimized, but I’m sure they could make it work if they wanted to.
As this is on online game, I'm concerned about the PPGs making the game lag excessively due to there being too many models on the screen.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As this is on online game, I'm concerned about the PPGs making the game lag excessively due to there being too many models on the screen.
This would only be an issue if they were like the Ice Climbers: in other words, if desynchs were possible. If they have them as an unbreakable huddle a la Duck Hunt or a swappable trio like Pokémon Trainer, this literally would not be an issue.

It depends entirely on how they're implemented.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Currently, you can have 4 Ricks in the match and have them each summon 2 Mr. Meeseeks (plus an extra one if items are on and one of them picks up a Meeseeks cube and uses it.) Mr. Meeseeks doesn’t have much AI but he does have proper animations. My idea for the PPG doesn’t give them AI.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
A desyncable 3-in-1 character seems too crazy. And I have trouble imagining how they'd work as a huddle. So I predict either swapping between them, or playing as Blossom while the other two come out for certain attacks.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
A huddle would be too clunky and be nonsensical honestly. There's other more interesting ways of tackling the PPG.

There's one problem with this. Multiversus' roster is much more expansive, not only due to them tapping into the "general" Warner catalog but they're going to inevitably dip into 3rd party type characters. While the more distinct characters make sense separate, PPG would've been a bad call to make separate. Not only because they're very similar down to design but look at the roster lmao.

We're going to get a lot of punchy, kicky characters. DC heroes alone offer so many caped crusaders with powers like PPG's. PPG's biggest way of standing out is having the girls tagteam. Same thing for Animaniacs. We're gonna get a billion toon-force/cartoony characters so playing into the shenanigans of the three Warner siblings together would bring more variety together than separate.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
A huddle would be too clunky and be nonsensical honestly. There's other more interesting ways of tackling the PPG.

There's one problem with this. Multiversus' roster is much more expansive, not only due to them tapping into the "general" Warner catalog but they're going to inevitably dip into 3rd party type characters. While the more distinct characters make sense separate, PPG would've been a bad call to make separate. Not only because they're very similar down to design but look at the roster lmao.

We're going to get a lot of punchy, kicky characters. DC heroes alone offer so many caped crusaders with powers like PPG's. PPG's biggest way of standing out is having the girls tagteam. Same thing for Animaniacs. We're gonna get a billion toon-force/cartoony characters so playing into the shenanigans of the three Warner siblings together would bring more variety together than separate.
In addition, I still think both of these sets of characters can absolutely function like the Beavers' do, where technically they are three characters but can summon the other two and switch to them as needed. With the catalogue of potential IPs, personally I think it'd be a waste to make every franchise have to get a second, third, etc. character with a roster at it's current size. When building my 100 fighter roster, there were still series I had to tag characters together for to just have the room for other IP to join in

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Turns out there are two versions of the Dexter’s Laboratory Stage.

IMG_7383.jpeg

IMG_7384.jpeg

Edit: While I’m here:

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I mean the music is nice but they need to be dropping more character reveals. Game releases in 11 days.

Let's move it along, people. Show us you have a reasonable amount of new content to show.

Top Bottom