• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

1. Ridley - Just imagine unlocking this big lug after the boss battle in Subspace Emissary. That would make it even cooler!
  2. Krystal - A unique Star Fox character? Count me in!
  3. Tetra - Call me crazy, but despite the then-current public opinion of The Wind Waker, I think the success of the Wii has made that game a more viable point of reference.

1. Princess Peach
  2. Meowth
  3. Yoshi
I think it's time to give some Mario veterans a spotlight now, and Peach and Yoshi should hopefully give a taste of who to expect. As for Meowth, Jessie and James are still relevant.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
  1. Krystal
  2. Dixie & Diddy
  3. Ridley
I think this is the perfect time for Krystal. Any later and she's missed her chance in my opinion. I'll miss Wolf (I doubt we get both) but he was very much a last minute addition IRL anyway. Dixie and Diddy is a cool twist on an existing smash character that gives us a new gimmick. Ridley fits with our theme of villains we've been doing so far.

I agree it's too early for Ashley, despite submitting her myself earlier. Her star hasn't risen quite yet. I'd be down with her getting in next game. Tetra is a pick I'm proud of but is maybe too soon for a new Zelda rep after . Same with more Pokemon. Love Trainer but I'd actually quite like to do a different take on them with other Pokemon.

1. Peach
2. Wario
3. Dedede
Extending our existing series with Peach and Triple D. Wario is an original 12 vet here and deserves the inclusion. Shout out to Zelda and Marth, who almost made it onto my list.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes

Pokemon Trainer 7
Bowser Jr.
Diddy Kong 11
Ridley 12
Giygas
Midna 1
Kamek
Ashley 5
Krystal 14
Tetra 1
Diddy & Dixie Kong 3

Krystal and Ridley are the next newcomers.

Mr. Game & Watch
Luigi 3
Princess Peach 19
Princess Daisy
Donkey Kong Jr.
Yoshi 4
Wario 8
Princess Zelda 5
Marth 5
Celica
Black Shadow
King Dedede 7
Falco
Ness 1
Meowth 2
Mewtwo
Pichu

Princess Peach and Wario are the next veterans added.

Job 22: Submit a Newcomer (Open-Ended)
Ice Climbers.PNG
Nominating Ice Climbers here as I think the gimmick is cool.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Job 22:
Job 20: Bowser Jr. (Super Mario)
View attachment 389920
At this point in time, Junior would have a radically different moveset compared to when he was introduced in 4.

He would mainly utilise assets from Sunshine and NSMBDS for now, making for an interesting alternative take on a character at a different point in time.

He can use his magic paintbrush, as well as throw projectiles (shells) at his opponents.
I’ll just resubmit Junior. I think the core Mario series could do with a Brawl newcomer.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
May.gif

Pokemon Trainer (Gen 3)
I mentioned this before so why not go for it? A Gen 3 trainer with Grovile, Blaziken and Mudkip. Gives Gen 3 some representation and adds some really popular Pokemon. Blaziken would be a kung fu brawler, Grovile would be a quick ninja like fighter, Mudip would be small and walk around on all fours. May would be default here since I ink she's more the more iconic of the two trainers.

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 390071

Pokemon Trainer (Gen 3)
I mentioned this before so why not go for it? A Gen 3 trainer with Grovile, Blaziken and Mudkip. Gives Gen 3 some representation and adds some really popular Pokemon. Blaziken would be a kung fu brawler, Grovile would be a quick ninja like fighter, Mudip would be small and walk around on all fours. May would be default here since I ink she's more the more iconic of the two trainers.
Okay, I'd be down for this.

Also, my submission for this job is King K. Rool. Hopefully, he or Diddy can make it in.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Resetti

Feel like series should have been on the roster by now. Perhaps this wont age the best as character faded later on but would argue him as super iconic to series at this point alongside Tom Nook & KK (was chosen as series 1st assist for a reason). Would use a mix of villager & pickaxe attacks. Think his pickaxe & attitude in general would help flesh out a good moveset & push past the conflicting tone of the series in a fighting game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Wanted to break something down for a bit of a status check.

1980s - Ridley, Pit
1990s - Ganondorf, Sonic, Snake
2000s - Krystal, Ike, Olimar, Lucario

So far, pretty good variety among our newcomers! I think we've been doing well by contemporary Nintendo characters, and there are definitely a handful of others that I want to see tackled in the next few rounds. I think I'm going to throw another bone to the pre-2000s for this one and re-nominate Little Mac.

1716861425988.png

We're already sorta covered on "retro" type characters with Pit, but I consider Punch-Out in a special category of games that received multiple entries, were quite popular into the 90s and saw a fair bit of referencing in other Nintendo material. He's a character who could have even been a justified addition in the very first game. Once Mac is here I think we're maybe set on NES icons, but he's the last one whose absence feels glaring. As a matter of fact, he's technically an arcade icon, of which the crop is fairly limited as is.

Besides, I think it's natural for us to gravitate toward characters with flashy powers or weapons, but a more traditional fighter like Little Mac stands out in his own right. I suppose we kinda have a martial artist thing going on with Lucario, but there's a vast difference between a Ryu-type aura energy type character and a fully traditional boxer like Little Mac anyway. I still think there's a place for him here. I want to continue pushing the envelope further on fighters who may not have gotten the chance to join Smash yet otherwise, but from another perspective... characters like Little Mac or Ridley being here in Brawl would at least open up the door for more creative liberties in the near future.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the nominations
Pupp135 Pupp135 Ice Climbers
BritishGuy54 BritishGuy54 Bowser Jr.
M Master Hero Sock-on-Rye Muddy Mole
D darkvortex Pokemon Trainer (Gen 3)
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Diddy Kong
Mamboo07 Mamboo07 Excitebiker
Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP General Sturm
TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter King K. Rool
Northsouthmap Northsouthmap Isaac
nirvanafan nirvanafan Mr. Resetti
Louie G. Louie G. Little Mac

Vote for your three most wanted, where yours is not first.

1. Pokemon Trainer
2. Icies
3. Isaac

Job 23: Vote for three veterans to return.
Mr. Game & Watch
Luigi
Princess Daisy
Donkey Kong Jr.
Yoshi
Princess Zelda
Marth
Celica
Black Shadow
King Dedede
Falco
Ness
Meowth
Mewtwo
Pichu

1. Princess Zelda
2. Ness
3. Mars

1. Bowser Jr. - I think a Mario newcomer might be deserved in Brawl.
  2. Isaac - It's a new franchise in more ways than one. Isaac might need the representation.
  3. Little Mac - Yeah, I agree that the NES era might need another newcomer.

1. Luigi - It's about time he got back in!
  2. Marth - I feel like enough time has passed since Ike's reveal.
  3. Meowth - We need another Pokemon veteran from 64 and Melee. Meowth might be the easiest one to do.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
1. Little Mac
2. Bowser Jr.
3. Isaac

Maybe it’s a bit early for Mac, but I think he could come in at this point.

Looking back, with Wario joining in 64, the Mario universe shouldn’t get the short end of the stick here in Brawl. Bowser Jr has potential and was a rising star at this point in time.

Isaac is pretty popular here, so I can see him joining soon.

Note: If Pokémon Trainer wins, our slot count should technically be decreased to 37, right?

1. Marth
2. Luigi
3. Zelda

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Newcomers:
1. Pokemon Trainer
2. Issac
3. Diddy Kong
HMs - Ice Climbers, Bowser Jr, King K. Rool

Veterans:
1. Luigi
2. Zelda
3. Marth

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. Isaac - Another notable new IP put out between Melee and Brawl. They were kinda going nuts pumping those out! It would be unfortunate if we made the same mistake as IRL Brawl and neglected several of the most promising ones, only to never make it into Smash past that. If Nintendo introduced all these cool new series, I think we should make it a priority to reflect that. And Brawl was the perfect time to introduce Isaac - he had two games under his belt now which put him at least on par with the likes of Pikmin, which we already have on here. His Djinn abilities make for a welcome mage archetype on a roster that doesn't have very many of those, as well as earth bending, plant summoning abilities and big floating hands. He's just cool man.

2. Pokemon Trainer (Gen 3) - Alright, I think I'm ready to bite the bullet on this one. I agree, Pokemon Trainer is a cool concept. But committing to three characters is a lot when we have fairly limited space. I really love Squirtle and Ivysaur, and Charizard is pretty essential, but seeing the Gen 3 focus here convinced me that we can do something fresh. Granted, I am not fully convinced that these Pokemon will be that much more unique or compelling than the ones we already have... so I have a slight hangup about it, since one is just kind of a "ninja" archetype and the other is a martial artist like Lucario. But without Sheik, we don't have a ninja archetype. And Lucario has all his aura junk, so Blaziken can probably stand out right? Mudkip is an easy sell, I love that little guy.

So yeah, let's make it happen. The presence of Gen 3 would do a lot to diversify this roster beyond what our real version of Brawl had been able to achieve, and I think these three are all fairly popular and have the potential to be fun. Mudkip could be kind of a zoner splashing around mud, Grovyle with speedy rushdown and Blaziken with hard punishes and finishing moves. The team dynamic is there. And to be honest, May is my favorite trainer anyway.

3. Little Mac - Putting him at a bit lower priority because it doesn't look like the enthusiasm is there right now, and I'd rather ride the momentum of some of these other characters. Both Isaac and the Gen 3 'Mon would be new to the series as well, so it's an exciting new face whereas Little Mac will have another shot next game on the heels of his new game. I may still nominate him one more time a bit later, but at least we have Pit for a throwback character and it feels like we're tapping into a few more traditional fighters and/or rushdown characters here and there.

Honorable Mention to Mr. Resetti, but I don’t think he should be the first Animal Crossing character. Nook is the central figure in the series at this point and Villager is the playable character, so I still believe either of them are a bit more practical. But I do like Resetti and would like to see him playable anyway, I may have thrown him a vote if I had another.

Bowser Jr. is still a good idea, but I’m in no rush. He could even be added later on akin to Toon Link or Wolf as a smaller, faster take on Bowser. Or he’ll just make it next game, probably. But I am still curious what a Brawl version of this character would have looked like with the material available at the time.

And yeah, Diddy Kong. We should obviously add him. Although I’m kinda into revisiting the Diddy / Dixie team still.

Job 23: :ultzelda::ultness::ultkingdedede:

For Zelda and Dedede, it feels like it's time to round out those casts respectively. Ness should be here by now if we're not planning to add another Mother character. He's the only representative from an O12 series not to have made it back yet. I'm still content waiting on Marth just a bit longer since Ike is here, and I think at least one of the Pokemon should return but it may or may not be getting three new characters this round.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are the votes:

Here are the nominations
Ice Climbers 2
Bowser Jr. 14
Muddy Mole
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 3) 14
Diddy Kong 9
Excitebiker
General Sturm 3
King K. Rool
Isaac 15
Mr. Resetti 2
Little Mac 7

Isaac is our next newcomer, and here is a poll to decide whether Bowser Jr. or Pokemon Trainer should join.

Job 23: Vote for three veterans to return.
Mr. Game & Watch 1
Luigi 23
Princess Daisy
Donkey Kong Jr.
Yoshi 2
Princess Zelda 19
Marth 13
Celica
Black Shadow
King Dedede 1
Falco
Ness 4
Meowth 2
Mewtwo 1
Pichu

Because newcomer counts are getting low, I’ll add three veterans, who end up being Luigi, Princess Zelda, and Marth.

Job 24: Submit a Semi-Clone
Dark Samus.png
The Metroid Prime games were relevant during Brawl, so I’ll nominate Dark Samus, and she helps add more women to the roster.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Job 24: Plusle and Minun (Pokémon)
IMG_7279.png

My alternate proposal for a Gen 3 Pokémon representative, and possibly considered in our own timeline’s Brawl. A successor to Pichu, but a semi-clone of Pikachu. Likely an afterthought in development.

While there are two of them at once, like how Ice Climbers were in our world, it’s a neat concept explored differently.

And on that note, while a Gen 3 trainer is a neat idea… I don’t know. I’d rather open more slots to more fighters in this Brawl scenario. And I don’t really want the core Mario series to get the short end of the stick here.

Last edited:

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion

Black Knight (Fire Emblem)
Would be a heavier and slower semi of Ike. He also represents the hero vs villain theme going on for this entry.

Top Bottom