• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
All I can really put at this point is that I hope Multiversus has a long long life otherwise it's gonna go down in history as one of the worst rosters ever. They need a lot of characters to make up Black Adam and Banana Guy. Even the Gremlin characters were pushing it a bit.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All I can really put at this point is that I hope Multiversus has a long long life otherwise it's gonna go down in history as one of the worst rosters ever. They need a lot of characters to make up Black Adam and Banana Guy. Even the Gremlin characters were pushing it a bit.
This is ridiculous hyperbole.I know you're a lot younger than me, but are we really debating the value of having the Gremlins?!?

Those guys are absolutely iconic.

Smash Journeyman
This is ridiculous hyperbole.I know you're a lot younger than me, but are we really debating the value of having the Gremlins?!?

Those guys are absolutely iconic.
They're not bad or worthless, just very questionable. Both Gizmo and Stripe being added so early on is where I question it. A lot of people said it before but Gremlins characters would've been perfect as later additions in the game where the roster is at least in its 30s than immediate priority over loads of other icons that outclass them.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They're not bad or worthless, just very questionable. Both Gizmo and Stripe being added so early on is where I question it. A lot of people said it before but Gremlins characters would've been perfect as later additions in the game where the roster is at least in its 30s than immediate priority over loads of other icons that outclass them.
I don't think I've ever felt like Darth this much before.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean the other thing to remember with Gizmo and Stripe is that, according to the datamines and just like, their file names, they were originally meant to be one character that could swap to the other. Their in game designations are, respectively, C023A and C023B. This eventually changed during development and the two were separated.

But even still, Gremlins is absolutely iconic enough to not feel out of place. Like...it, alongside Temple of Doom, literally caused the PG-13 rating to exist. So in addition to being a pop culture touchstone, it literally helped retool film lol.

Smash Journeyman
Iconic but not more iconic than other options to be in so soon especially when there's two of them in the roster now. But again, I'm not stating that they're completely out of place, just "pushing it".

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean the other thing to remember with Gizmo and Stripe is that, according to the datamines and just like, their file names, they were originally meant to be one character that could swap to the other. Their in game designations are, respectively, C023A and C023B. This eventually changed during development and the two were separated.

But even still, Gremlins is absolutely iconic enough to not feel out of place. Like...it, alongside Temple of Doom, literally caused the PG-13 rating to exist. So in addition to being a pop culture touchstone, it literally helped retool film lol.
Honestly I'm really glad that Gizmo and Stripe aren't the same character. It would feel really out of character to have either of them work together. They aren't like Tom and Jerry where they both have some mutual respect for each other.

Stripe is straight up evil.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I know you're a lot younger than me
I don't think there is such a thing as being too young to be familiar with movies that are older than you, compared to TV shows-even if your parents don't have a Gremlins tape or DVD, you can still stumble across it on TV or sometimes a free streaming service without going out of your way to specifically find it, or you could've seen it on a movie day at school (I know I did-one of my "exams" on exam day was just to watch Gremlins, and it wasn't film study or any other subject that could be relevant to it). The same is true for many, many other 20th century movies that have millions of fans already, not so much TV shows unless they're really REALLY popular like Seinfeld or officially fully released for free like The Joy of Painting.

Hell, one of MVS's datamined characters includes a character from the 30's based on a book from 1900. Their playerbase is inevitably going to be people too young to have seen their movie in theaters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Now that I've had time to process just how strange the Bananananananana man is...

1. This doesn't particularly bother me. Every cast needs it's weirdos, and the joke is a funny one.
2. Being sandwiched between two other fighters is the Banana Guard's best bet of being accepted. Launch is his time.
3. I will be bothered by his inclusion if one of two things happen. If content releases are slow, and I mean slow, he'll start to sting. If we get a ton of characters like the Banana Guard, I'll start to be annoyed.
4. I'm real curious as to what his moveset will be. I got like... Nothing.
well there's and episode of AT where it turns out nearly all the guards have unique talents, so i'd guess as mash up of that

also banana man is a different character

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Seeing some people speculate that the "J" character could be Jason Voorhees.

And well, I mean...

... wouldn't be the first time he showed up in a WB published fighting game.
Honestly I sign think this is impossible. I know the rights are a mess but there was a apparently a "horror" tag spotted in the most recent trailer and they did say they where working on a character who's all ways angry .

Another option I've seen floating around is Imortian Joe from Mad Mad Fury Road. he features in the about for be released Furiousa.

fury-road-immorten-joe-header.jpg

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly I'm really glad that Gizmo and Stripe aren't the same character. It would feel really out of character to have either of them work together. They aren't like Tom and Jerry where they both have some mutual respect for each other.

Stripe is straight up evil.
And it doesn't make sense according to Gremlins lore. Once a Mogwai becomes a Gremlin that's it. They can't ever turn back.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Knowing a little about how licensing and agreements work with Dead by Daylight, let me tell you that i's VERY unlikely Jason is a character, especially a launch one.

The right holders for Jason just announced their plans for the Friday 13th franchise and its unlikely this dev team reached out to them during a rather rumored tumultous dev period, so better temped that expectation.

Plus, join the Bravo + Jack club.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I think the Black Adam hate was overblown. Obviously, he wasn't my next choice for a dc character, but to say the character is not popular in the fandom or that he's a random pick just there for the movie is kind of exagerated. I think he's fine on his own right and he was the first vilain of the game alongside Stripe which make him standout.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I mean, the timing didn't help Black Adam's perception all that much but hey, at least the movie ended up being good and it all worked out in the end.

....... oh.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Roster aside... What announcement will we get today?

Haven't we been getting an announcement for every weekday lately?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Black Adam is fine in a vacuum...it's just that it's weird when adding the context. He was the fifth DC character on a general WB roster of 23. He got in before Joker did. When DC only takes up a fourth of the currently confirmed roster, it's weird having one of those six characters be significantly less notable than the other five when so many other more prominent and popular DC characters haven't shown up yet.

Like yeah in a DC only roster with like twenty characters, Black Adam absolutely makes sense. But in a general crossover where there are fewer DC reps, the jump from "The Trinity, Harley, and Joker" to "Black Adam" is pretty damn big.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Boooo! Another Bruiser? Bro was the perfect tank! i swear to god they hate tanks

Anyway i dont buy the jason rumors but i've been wrong before. Plus how would jason look in the MVS style? Like this

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Boooo! Another Bruiser? Bro was the perfect tank! i swear to god they hate tanks

Anyway i dont buy the jason rumors but i've been wrong before. Plus how would jason look in the MVS style? Like this

Delirious got his invitation

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Two things I will say:

1. I know they said in the past having a NPC role did not deconfirm, but I think Banana Guard completely shatters that expectation.

2. In terms of moveset, Banana Guard reminds me of Bandana Waddle Dee concepts that I have seen in the past.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
The worst part is that the shills will eat this up. Tony could take a fat dump on the stage live and he'd get a standing ovation and a "keep cooking Tony we love you UwU"

I already was hesitant to be hopeful. This is the straw that broke the camels back. **** this game.
Yeah, no, now you're just overreacting ngl

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Still a pretty funny choice, my whole problem is just the timing of it all. I feel it is a bit too early for a joke character of this caliber and coming before Marceline or Ice King is a bit like if street fighter added Dan Hibiki before Chun-li.

Still the concept is ballsy enough for me to laugh and respect the audacity.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I would love Jason to be in, but I honestly still don't buy it. I don't see why they would go out of their way to work on Jason when they already have 10+ characters complete or very near completion, including big request one. Johnny Bravo make much more sense because we know from the early beta days that he was already being worked on. Also the rights to Friday the 13th were a big mess until pretty recently, so work on Jason would have to be pretty recent.

Top Bottom