• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Imma place an arbitrary rule: We should expect any character teased in this trailer after Smith.
It's the order we'll get them in, that's the real mystery.

We know from the easter eggs in the launch trailer that we're getting/might be getting

an Animaniacs character
Powerpuff Girls
Aquaman
Wicked Witch of the West
a Harry Potter character (two broomsticks came out of the water tower, so I'm leaving the option open.)
Samurai Jack
Daffy Duck
Dexter (the random placement of his glasses and gloves in Townsville of all places should erase any doubt he'll be playable)
Green Lantern
Raven
Robin
Marceline
Scooby Doo
four more villains, one possibly being the aforementioned Wicked Witch

It's a matter of who's coming first. I think given the theme of the season is villains, Wicked Witch seems like a shoe in, and I don't recall if any other villains have been leaked or hinted at besides Poison Ivy and I suppose Beetlejuice.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I'd really be shocked if we got four more villains so soon, I feel like there's some sort of misdirection happening with the trailer

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The glowey portals opening up not be first cgi trailer ended up not meaning anything so
This feels different, Joker was clearly alluding to more help from additional villain characters - but there is some leeway to what that means specifically. It could just be a general acknowledgment of them adding more villains eventually, or that they will add them this season. The name of the season seems to imply the latter, so I feel like four of them isn’t unreasonable with that theme in mind.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
It's the order we'll get them in, that's the real mystery.

We know from the easter eggs in the launch trailer that we're getting/might be getting

an Animaniacs character
Powerpuff Girls
Aquaman
Wicked Witch of the West
a Harry Potter character (two broomsticks came out of the water tower, so I'm leaving the option open.)
Samurai Jack
Daffy Duck
Dexter (the random placement of his glasses and gloves in Townsville of all places should erase any doubt he'll be playable)
Green Lantern
Raven
Robin
Marceline
Scooby Doo
four more villains, one possibly being the aforementioned Wicked Witch

It's a matter of who's coming first. I think given the theme of the season is villains, Wicked Witch seems like a shoe in, and I don't recall if any other villains have been leaked or hinted at besides Poison Ivy and I suppose Beetlejuice.
If we're getting 4 more vilains, my bet are on Wicked witch, Daenarys, Scorpion and either Wile E. Coyote or Daffy Duck. Wicked witch leaked ages ago, Daenarys too and she was hint in the box clue thing, Mortal kombat was also hint with John Tobias in the office picture and while Scorpion isn't 100% a vilain per say, I think he would fit. And I think both Daffy and Wile would fit, while Daffy is again not really a vilain, he does have some antagonistic role.

And my theory is that they might do something like Fortnite with each season having story continuity, If that's the case, Season 2 might be Hero themed to fight the vilain. This would lead to Powerpuff girls, Samurai Jack, Aquaman and a Watchmen character being add.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
either Wile E. Coyote or Daffy Duck.
And I think both Daffy and Wile would fit, while Daffy is again not really a vilain, he does have some antagonistic role.
Not so sure about that myself. They had Marvin, probably one of the closest things to an actual villain Looney Tunes has, on the heroes side in the trailer (alongside Stripe for some reason???) so I don't think they'd classify any Looney Tunes as villains on the level of Joker or Jason if Marvin wasn't villainous enough to be on their side. Especially not Daffy, who's been comfortably sitting in the anti-hero category for decades.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
if Potter is on the table, maybe Voldimort? It would be kinda interesting if we got Aku or Mojo before their heroes but I don't see it

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If we get a real Looney Tunes villain, outside of Marvin, I’ve kinda been wanting to see them take on Yosemite Sam. I think the sharpshooter, cowboy sorta archetype would be a lot of fun.

Obviously Elmer is in the cards too but I feel like you might be able to do more with Sam, and let that aesthetic kind of inform the rest of his kit. Have him kick around in those boots, maybe have some sort of rage mechanic. They did mention that character who’s “always angry”… maybe it’s Jason like some people speculated, but it’s hard to tell how he’s feeling.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
If we get a real Looney Tunes villain, outside of Marvin, I’ve kinda been wanting to see them take on Yosemite Sam. I think the sharpshooter, cowboy sorta archetype would be a lot of fun.

Obviously Elmer is in the cards too but I feel like you might be able to do more with Sam, and let that aesthetic kind of inform the rest of his kit. Have him kick around in those boots, maybe have some sort of rage mechanic. They did mention that character who’s “always angry”… maybe it’s Jason like some people speculated, but it’s hard to tell how he’s feeling.
Sam was the other one I was thinking of that's as close as Looney Tunes gets to an actual villain. He'd have a lot more possibilities for costumes than Elmer too, since he often had different alter egos in different shorts.

I would say "especially since Elmer's no longer allowed to use his gun" but apparently that's been lifted now.
Better question would be what would Elmer be able to do besides the gun. Sam at least has lassos.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
If we're getting 4 more vilains, my bet are on Wicked witch, Daenarys, Scorpion and either Wile E. Coyote or Daffy Duck. Wicked witch leaked ages ago, Daenarys too and she was hint in the box clue thing, Mortal kombat was also hint with John Tobias in the office picture and while Scorpion isn't 100% a vilain per say, I think he would fit. And I think both Daffy and Wile would fit, while Daffy is again not really a vilain, he does have some antagonistic role.

And my theory is that they might do something like Fortnite with each season having story continuity, If that's the case, Season 2 might be Hero themed to fight the vilain. This would lead to Powerpuff girls, Samurai Jack, Aquaman and a Watchmen character being add.
Scorpion and Sub-Zero are good guys now tho

if Potter is on the table, maybe Voldimort? It would be kinda interesting if we got Aku or Mojo before their heroes but I don't see it
Voldemort kinda only does one thing as a villain though and that's cast the insta-kill spell

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Better question would be what would Elmer be able to do besides the gun. Sam at least has lassos.
Seems like a pretty easy solution, they could just lean hard into the “hunter” angle and give him literal stage traps. Cages, bear traps, etc etc. That’d give him a pretty fun identity of his own, and a unique gameplay function to boot. I think he’d be a lot of fun too, even if I’m on Sam’s team a little bit more.

If you wanted you could pull a lot from the What’s Opera Doc portrayal too. Probably more suited for a skin, but the viking helmet and spear lend some extra inspiration.

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
If we do get four more fighters I don't think they'll all be villains, considering the fact that there are villains on the team against joker.

Faso115

Smash Lord
My cope theory is that one of those 4 characters is the PPG so they can recreate the Powerpuff girl intro of them beating Multiversus bad guys.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Curious, what characters or stages were hinted at during the Joker Box ARG? Cause i totally forgot a few of those

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Curious, what characters or stages were hinted at during the Joker Box ARG? Cause i totally forgot a few of those
there where possible hints at PPG, Scooby and a new GOT character

i thought the theme was puns and villains not just villains?
This so why I think we're getting the Powerpuff Girls and Dexter this season, to fit that catotony pun theme

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
While I want Godzilla who's one of my most wanted fighters, having to balance Toho's licence and Legendary (Monsterverse incarnation) would be too much of a hassle.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
While I want Godzilla who's one of my most wanted fighters, having to balance Toho's licence and Legendary (Monsterverse incarnation) would be too much of a hassle.
Don't you start pulling the same song and dance as the other Godzilla "fan" that goes off about this any chance he gets.

Toho practically whores Godzilla out nowadays to anyone willing to pay and follows their guidelines. So unless the developers literally cannot pay or Multiversus specifically goes against guidelines, this is a non-issue.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Don't you start pulling the same song and dance as the other Godzilla "fan" that goes off about this any chance he gets.

Toho practically whores Godzilla out nowadays to anyone willing to pay and follows their guidelines. So unless the developers literally cannot pay or Multiversus specifically goes against guidelines, this is a non-issue.
What are the guidelines? Cause sometimes owners get uppity about certain things, like how the Yakuza creator doesn't want Kiryu in a fighting game cause he doesn't hit women

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

And we got Jason who has even bigger legal issues than Godzilla does.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
What are the guidelines? Cause sometimes owners get uppity about certain things, like how the Yakuza creator doesn't want Kiryu in a fighting game cause he doesn't hit women
We don't know any full list. Just bits and pieces from discussions based on interviews such as one given to Legendary is that Godzilla cannot emote, which some workarounds were given to be ambiguous.

I found something that was for the Call of Duty crossover (and there were some for Kong too that I don't have a document for, such as he cannot be called "King Kong", just "Kong".) which could have some issues with Multiversus as a platform fighter.
FROUQjOX0AUm6vm.jpg

It's hard to tell just what people are allowed to get away with, as even in the MonsterVerse he's seen hauling ass and leaping, especially in New Empire which came after this.

Faso115

Smash Lord
We don't know any full list. Just bits and pieces from discussions based on interviews such as one given to Legendary is that Godzilla cannot emote, which some workarounds were given to be ambiguous.

I found something that was for the Call of Duty crossover (and there were some for Kong too that I don't have a document for, such as he cannot be called "King Kong", just "Kong".) which could have some issues with Multiversus as a platform fighter.
View attachment 389761

It's hard to tell just what people are allowed to get away with, as even in the MonsterVerse he's seen hauling ass and leaping, especially in New Empire which came after this.
Bro can't jump it's over Zilla bros /s

I'm sure Godzilla is easy enough to implement. Although probably him using items might be a problem for Toho if they even care enough.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

View attachment 389761

I’m pretty sure Godzilla’s playable appearance as DLC in Gigabash breaks some of these rules, such as being able to jump and being able to use items. The only thing that really feels mandated about it is that it has no skins, unlike the base game characters, which could be a problem if it prevents them from being able to give it the red and blue team recolors.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I’m pretty sure Godzilla’s playable appearance as DLC in Gigabash breaks some of these rules, such as being able to jump and being able to use items. The only thing that really feels mandated about it is that it has no skins, unlike the base game characters, which could be a problem if it prevents them from being able to give it the red and blue team recolors.
Actually all the DLC has palette swaps to allow mirror matches, including Godzilla.

I also don't recall GigaBash having items, with the thing you're talking about probably being how you can pick up and throw buildings, which isn't quite the same as picking up a gun and shooting it or picking up a sword and swinging it.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 389761

I imagine some of these guidelines can change depending on the context of the crossover. Like if he's playable and needs to be able to do things like jump run and eat.

As long as multiversus doesn't add weapons or insist upon making skins with blankzilla puns they might be fine

LimeTH

Smash Lord
The only thing that really feels mandated about it is that it has no skins, unlike the base game characters, which could be a problem if it prevents them from being able to give it the red and blue team recolors.
Easy way around this is that in GvK, Big G glows blue, while in GxK he's pinkish. It's canon, so it's okay!

I think if they were gonna do skins, many of the different Godzillas from over the decades would be a lot of fun.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Actually all the DLC has palette swaps to allow mirror matches, including Godzilla.

I also don't recall GigaBash having items, with the thing you're talking about probably being how you can pick up and throw buildings, which isn't quite the same as picking up a gun and shooting it or picking up a sword and swinging it.
Oh okay, I guess I missed that.
In terms of weapons, I’m referring to stuff like the army base maps having surface to air missile launchers that you can pick up and fire at the other players.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

View attachment 389761

My only fear with Godzilla is that maybe Toho won't like the Idea that he's as strong as Shaggy or Banana guard if he's meant to be represented as always strong. Maybe there's some work around similar to how some fatalities in Mortal kombat 9 where changed so Kratos don't look weak or vulnerable, but he might be a lot of works.

Top Bottom