• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Double post, but Jason got directly leaked, and dear lord, he big.
Not like, Iron Giant big, but he big.

I wanted to avoid it but i ended getting a glimpse of his head and a small view.

i wish i didn't see it but now i did, also his design strikes an odd curiosity on jason in multiversus and makes me wonder if this will apply to other live-action characters appearances.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
re: the leaked screenshot, not sure how I feel about that Jason design at first glance, but we'll see how it looks in motion. I had a pretty clear vision of it in my mind and this is definitely not quite it, although maybe this sort of abstraction is how they justify having such an otherwise gory, mature character in the game next to silly family-friendly cartoon characters and IPs. If that's the case then I understand why they went for more of their own thing.

But I dunno, something about it doesn't quite click. Maybe I'd like to see a bit more detail in the outfit? The flat colors make it look a little tacky, although I'm assuming some of the folds and tatters here just aren't properly colored and rendered yet. Should probably withhold judgement til tomorrow but I'm bored so I'll just spill my thoughts out anyway.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I don’t have a strong stake in what Jason’s design should be since I haven’t watched any of his movies, but, I’m definitely curious to see this design in motion (assuming it’s real of course.) I can also see how they’d want to go for this to fulfill a gameplay niche that doesn't have a lot of diversity yet.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Look, I get what they were trying to do but... come on. Years of legal limbo, Multiversus gets the opportunity of a lifetime and they go with THIS? This look is too goofy, their execution just isn't natural or good looking.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
We have Stripe, a non-human creature whose species has been depicted being killed off in gruesome ways with green blood (part of why the PG-13 rating came into existence), Bugs Bunny, who has been depicted in more recent shows with grotesque horror (but in a manner that is implied not to be fatal to him, so can just have him be "slashed" but wink to the audience that he's alright), Iron Giant, a robot, Joker, who had been in a Mortal Kombat like Jason (so the concept of fighting MK characters instead can still apply), Garnett, an alien rock species that can be killed in a manner that was flat out referenced in an losing animation and would require no blood, etc.

No one's buying that you didn't just single out the one character you'd been making a huge deal out of the past days and went doomposting the game over and literally saying Jason would "make up for it" to cater to a sadistic fantasy about killing it off for your own satisfaction.
Okay I admittedly forgot about Garnet being a gem and not having Blood, and I forgot Iron Giant was in the game, but if they want to be able to market the trailer for a game aimed at kids, with my concept you'd only be able to do it with characters who aren't human, but my point was the he is in fact a fruit and you can do something funny with it. If it were Garnet, it wouldn't be funny (hence why they removed that animation), it'd just be sad. Same with Iron Giant, it's a character people care about. But the nameless fruit soldier that no one cares about is the obvious canidate.

I have no need for anyone to "buy" anything. I think it'd be funny because he's a fruit and wow it'd be funny for the slasher guy to kill the fruit man. Yeah, I don't like the addition, but I did not ****ing doompost that the game was gonna die. I said that when you come back after a year you need more than a joke character. Stop trying to project some false narrative that I have some sadistic fantasy about it because it's a game, I don't have sadistic murder fantasies because I'm not a psychopath. Jason's a slasher character, his trailer should reference that, obviously

Did I overreact to the stupid banana? Absolutely. But I have high expectations for this game, and they did imo the stupidest call they could've made with the Banana and I do think that the addition was a mistake. He cost resources and time that I think could have been better served working on something else. The game's lackluster stages, for example. They likely had to pay to license the character, no matter how miniscule. That money could have been used on something else (for example, paying the underpaid voice actors).

Do NOT try to paint me as a violent psychopath. I am a staunch pacifist. Violence is fun in movies and games. I'm not losing any sleep over the banana. I suggested an idea for a trailer. Stop looking for things that are not there.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
One thing i want to describe Jason's design in the image before i saw the full model is basically this:
He looks like Frankenstein mix with Spider-Verse's Kingpin, but now? he's basically Frankenstein size.

Season 1 is apparently going to contain Agent Smith based on tags from the new trailer.
Clicks the spoiler tab with curiousity
f**k me....

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Season 1 is apparently going to contain Agent Smith based on tags from the new trailer.
I am... honestly intrigued. I mean, there's a ton of awesome stuff you could totally do with him but I'd personally love to see how (or even if) they'd implement one of his most iconic abilities, transmuting others into clones of himself. Something that maybe springs to mind is that he could like, buff the defence of both himself and his ally by thrusting his hand into their stomach and transmuting them into a Smith, making them another Agent Smith for a limited period? That'd probably be awful lol

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Re: Leaked screenshot.

I honestly really dig this Jason design. It make him looks like a real threat, but in cartoony way, which fits Multiversus themes and style. It also fits with Jason being unstoppable. The design make him also stand out more, because in a game full of wacky design like a stretching dog and a walking banana, having a regular dude with a machette and a hockey mask, it was maybe a good idea to give this dude a more crazy design to make him stand out (not that Jason regular design is bad, it's obviously super iconic, but still).

LimeTH

Smash Lord
About the screenshot.

I knew Jason would be beefy but this is a biiiiiiiit much. He looks like the Heavy from TF2. I do have a guess that this may be him under a buff effect but then I don’t really know much about the Friday the 13th movies to know if that’s something he can do.

Last edited:

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Re: Leaked screenshot.

I honestly really dig this Jason design. It make him looks like a real threat, but in cartoony way, which fits Multiversus themes and style. It also fits with Jason being unstoppable. The design make him also stand out more, because in a game full of wacky design like a stretching dog and a walking banana, having a regular dude with a machette and a hockey mask, it was maybe a good idea to give this dude a more crazy design to make him stand out (not that Jason regular design is bad, it's obviously super iconic, but still).
My problem is that it's trying a little too hard. I get what they're trying to convey but it needed more subtlety than making him: Hulk 2. Ultimately you still need to represent his character correctly in a game like Multiversus and part of that was the fact that he was a person. Bulk him up to Superman levels, maybe a little more, but not THIS much. He's still a twisted sort of human, not a loony toon.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Seems Smith could be launch? He's with all the launch characters at the end

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Also, seems like Rick and Morty may receive new voice lines as none of Rick’s lines in the trailer were from the game.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
In the water tower, you can see hints from 4 different franchise: Aquaman trident, a katana (possibly Samurai Jack), Power puff girls octopus plush and a broom (Harry Potter). At the end of the trailer, you see that 4 more characters are appearing next to Jason and Smith. Those might be the characters coming soon.

GOBkRG7XsAEVK0n.jpg

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
In the water tower, you can see hints from 4 different franchise: Aquaman trident, a katana (possibly Samurai Jack), Power puff girls octopus plush and a broom (Harry Potter). At the end of the trailer, you see that 4 more characters are appearing next to Jason and Smith. Those might be the characters coming soon.

View attachment 389647
Broom could just as easily be Wicked Witch

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

View attachment 389647
The broom has a fully straight handle after doing a frame by frame check. It's absolutely the Wicked Witch of the West's.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Hmm, i wonder why Agent Smith over Neo. Prob to make the "season of villains" theme make sense? In any case, weird how we didn't see PPG. I guess they are saving them for season 2? WAIT, is Banana Guard a villain?

Im not expecting any more characters this season beyond Agent Smith. i hope they learned their lesson with the beta

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hmm, i wonder why Agent Smith over Neo. Prob to make the "season of villains" theme make sense? In any case, weird how we didn't see PPG. I guess they are saving them for season 2? WAIT, is Banana Guard a villain?

Im not expecting any more characters this season beyond Agent Smith. i hope they learned their lesson with the beta
One character for a season would be worse. They gotta pace these out.

Top Bottom