• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like people that want to cut Villager simply just don't find avatar/self insert characters appealing, which is totally fine, especially since most of them aren't actually serving as an avatar in this series, but since Animal Crossing (and a lot of series for that matter) is built around these kinds of characters, they kind of have to be in in order to show off the series as a whole.

Look, all I'll say it that I saw Sky High Sundae slander on this boards and I will not stand for it.

I ****ing love Sky High Sundae.
I haven't played it, but from what I've seen it's a neat concept that needed a bit more polish. Namely, the rails have no visual indication that they're anti-grav booster peg thingies rather than walls, and some areas have blindish jumps due to bad camera angles.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To clarify, since I’ve seen multiple people refer to it, I didn’t say I want to cut Villager. I said if I was in charge of the roster, I may have prioritized Tom Nook. Avatar characters are not my defacto choice to represent a series unless there are no equally viable options, and I think a mascot character like Isabelle or Tom Nook could play the role of series ambassador just as efficiently. But since Villager is here, and he was realized in a very charming way, I don’t especially want him gone. And I understand why the choice was made, I never had a problem with it.

The furthest I’d go would be to say I would easily keep Isabelle over Villager, if push came to shove. But I don’t think that will ever need to happen - Animal Crossing easily justifies three characters at this point, even if the roster is considerably cut down. Villager being the main guy and Isabelle / Nook being Nintendo icons and massively popular characters in their own right.

Last edited:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
100% agree Tom Nook is probably first up for being a newcomer in the next smash game given Animal Crossing's massive popularity.

I also think it's weird that Toad has never even been considered. He's probably the most recognizable Nintendo character to a wider audience not yet playable in Smash. Rosalina getting the 2nd mario spot over him in Smash 4 was a product of the era, but they chose ****ing Piranha Plant in Ultimate over him lol.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
From famous Japanese companies only from Koei Tecmo and Level-5 have not yet put newcomers to the Super Smash Bros. series.
Famous in Japan? Or in NA?

I'd say Falcom and ArcSys qualify.

I think a more interesting question is who were "THE" Nintendo characters of the 2000s, 90s, and 80s?
80s eh?

1713414441257.png

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think they'll get a new guy to be the announcer for the next game.
Can we get the Tekken 8 announcer?

"MAH-R-R-R-IO!"

But I also think that the most iconic Nintendo villains are all already playable in Smash, with maybe the exception of Skull Kid/Majora (and Andross, of course, but he's not workable).
He'd make more sense as a Boss. As would Mother Brain.

What fun side modes do you guys wanna see in the next game?
Smash Run Battle Royal.

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
You know what I think would be a good (albeit small) moveset change for Sonic? While his Down-B could be his Spin Dash, his Side-B could be his Light Speed Dash from Sonic Adventure.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Mario Kart has vocal fans that want a MK9, but most people i've seen are unsure how they'll improve from 8D same with Ultimate and New Horizons.
Seriously, I'd rather have Booster Course Pass 2.

Everycourse is Here!

You know what's also cool? Being the top bad boy at your school who beats up other bad boys and even the yakuza for messing with you and your friends.

Kunio
You know what's also cool? Being 40 and being just like that.

1713416644487.png

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
What new stuff could Smash 6 add?
New Story mode like SSE?
Some new core battle mechanic? But i feel like that could be controversial.
I mean, there's quite a bunch of things they could do.
  • Want to make Assist Trophies or some Pokemon more prominent? Have some Classic Mode battles or Spirit Battles directly use the Assist Trophy or some Pokemon like a Mini-boss rather than use a stand-in and then have the Assist Trophy/Pokemon summoned. Or give Smash Mode a new mode where every player choose 1 out of most Assist Trophies or Pokemon(with an obvious few being exceptions, like Rathalos) and during the battle, you can summon them by pressing one of the taunt directions and when they are finished attacking for a bit, they are put on a cooldown timer. And some Classic Mode matches can give you or your opponent/s an Assist Trophy/Pokeball summon.
  • Bring back enemy Mooks. They can appear in Classic Mode as part of an Enemy's match or can appear in a Mob Smash mode during Classic where you fight against groups of Mooks. Some Spirit Battles get adjusted to include Mooks as enemies that fight alongside the Spirit's character. Heck, you could even have an option to have them invade Smash Mode matches from time to time.
  • Obviously, there are many ways they can do an Adventure/PvE-like mode. They could bring back Adventure Mode from Melee or Smash Run and expand upon them. They could do a Metrovania-like Adventure mode. I don't see something like SSE right now.
And those are just some of my ideas. Some others or even Sakurai could probably think of stuff that I can't think of at the moment.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Smash, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing are in a "we don't know how to improve from here" right now, so it will be hard to convince people to buy a new game

Mario Kart has vocal fans that want a MK9, but most people i've seen are unsure how they'll improve from 8D same with Ultimate and New Horizons.
To address your first point here, that’s how companies become capcom, we can’t do better so let’s just stop.
The only way forward is nee experiences, they can get away with it for the switch one but this market isn’t one that buys up slop, we saw that with the Wii u, they can’t rest o their laurels here, it’s not just short term what’s best but long term, a smash ultimate port or a new horizons port can save money but it’s going to lose fans and attention they will have to fight to regain, it isn’t so simple that they can just press pause; rather they should be looking at alternative ways to growing like new markets.

to address your second point here That’s honestly pretty strange since they all have very big flaws.

Especially new horizons.

All of them have very clear and easy ways to improve.

mario kart 8’s item balance is in the drain, the bullet bill system leads to a lot of stages getting ruined.
For example cheese land, all you do is press the bullet In the right place and it automatically wins it for you.

it’s not flashy but all have a ton that still needs fixing, smash ultimate the least.

In terms of new features it’s not that hard to imagine. Mario kart can change the course mid way through the race, the next animal crossing can have a roster of 50 villagers and really focus on populating and turning a small town into a big one, the next smash can focus on new getaway and get in options considering how aerial focused ultimate is.

People were saying the same about 2d Mario how can they make it and then they made it, its creative peoples job to create things most people won’t think about making In the first place, trust nitnedos Market research and developers.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Seriously, I'd rather have Booster Course Pass 2.

Everycourse is Here!
Everycourse is here!

But they're all terrible recreations of what they're supposed to be and don't make good use of any of Mario Kart 8's native mechanics and have actively broken elements like half-pipes and horrible camera spots! But... who cares about things like quality and cohesion, right?

I love content slop!

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Everyone is here!

But they all look horrid and have shallow playstyles because they're based on 10+ year old assets and the engine hasn't been allowed to evolve past the fourth game in the series!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If Smash Ultimate got three Fighters Passes with six Challenger Packs each, which characters would you pick and why? For me:
Vol. 1 (2019)Vol. 2 (2020)Vol. 3 (2021)Bonus Challenger Pack (2022)
  • 71. Joker
  • 72. Hero
  • 73. Crash Bandicoot
  • 74. Estelle Bright
  • 75. Terry Bogard
  • 76. Banjo & Kazooie
  • 77. Byleth
  • 78. Dr. Eggman
  • 79. Sephiroth
  • 80. Chun-Li
  • 81. Cinderace
  • 82. Steve
  • 83. Min Min
  • 84. Shantae
  • 85-86. Pyra / Mythra
  • 87. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • 88. Kazuya
  • 89. Ring Fit Trainee
  • 90. Sora

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If Smash Ultimate got three Fighters Passes with six Challenger Packs each, which characters would you pick and why? For me:
Vol. 1 (2019)Vol. 2 (2020)Vol. 3 (2021)
  • 71. Joker
  • 72. Hero
  • 73. Crash Bandicoot
  • 74. Estelle Bright
  • 75. Terry Bogard
  • 76. Banjo & Kazooie
  • 77. Byleth
  • 78. Dr. Eggman
  • 79. Sephiroth
  • 80. Chun-Li
  • 81. Cinderace
  • 82. Steve
  • 83. Min Min
  • 84. Shantae
  • 85-86. Pyra / Mythra
  • 87. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • 88. Kazuya
  • 89. Sora
you are obsessed

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is here!

But they all look horrid and have shallow playstyles because they're based on 10+ year old assets and the engine hasn't been allowed to evolve past the fourth game in the series!
Idk about that. Ultimate looks and plays fine (for the most part. The shallow playstyle thing isn't going to be fixed by them restarting on the assets either, that would need to be an intentional design change decision made by the dev team.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I have a question - what is the weirdest reason you have for wanting a character in Smash?

For me it’s Cranky Kong. I don’t believe DK is desperate for more characters and I find Dixie and Funky to have just as much merit and moveset potential. However, I really want an old man in Smash. The wise/cooky elder responsible for teaching many of the protagonists. 70+ years old but can still rock with the best of them. It’s such a classic trope that I always love. Master Roshi, General Iroh, etc.

It’s super common in fighting games, too. Tung Fu Rue in KoF, Gouken in SF, Bo Rai Cho in MK. It’s the main reason I’m a wee bit salty that we missed out on Heihachi in Smash.

Cranky Kong is the perfect Nintendo character to fill this archetype. Both in the context of his character and design, but even in the context of his role in Nintendo history.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, i think the Squid Sisters are a overlooked newcomer possibility, they're pretty iconic and splatoon definitely can have 3 reps (Inkling, Octoling, Squid Sisters)

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, i think the Squid Sisters are a overlooked newcomer possibility, they're pretty iconic and splatoon definitely can have 3 reps (Inkling, Octoling, Squid Sisters)
They are also already an assist trophy in Ultimate. When it comes to distinct characters they are probably the most recognizable and popular among the splatoon cast and have had major roles in all three games. With how well Splatoon 2 and 3 did and how big Splatoon has gotten, similar to AC, three reps isn't out of the question.

The only issue I could see with their inclusion (as well as any other splatoon character) is how they would have to change the way Ink colors work with more than one character that can use it. As of right now its not an issue because you can't play two of the same color at once. With the squid sisters or octolings they would either need 8 new colors of Ink visually distinct from what Inkling has currently, or they would need to restrict multiple of the same color Splatoon characters being selected at the same time. That might get funky.

That said I think the squid sisters would be amazing inclusions, especially because Marie's signature weapons, the splat charger and brella, are not represented in Inkling's moveset right now.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
That said I think the squid sisters would be amazing inclusions, especially because Marie's signature weapons, the splat charger and brella, are not represented in Inkling's moveset right now.
Hi, no double posting. If you forgot to say something in your original post, please edit that original post.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The only issue I could see with their inclusion (as well as any other splatoon character) is how they would have to change the way Ink colors work with more than one character that can use it.
For what it’s worth, I don’t think Squid Sisters or any other Splatoon character who isn’t Octoling needs the same ink mechanic as Inkling. That would limit the vast amount of potential within this series for these characters to be diverse.

Assuming an idol character’s focus may be music, I think those elements would be taking precedent and attacks that involve ink or weapons may just have a more temporary effect rather than sticking to the opponent / stage.

Granted, I also don’t think this color thing is an issue. There are colors and dynamic shades that have gone unused in Inkling’s 8 costumes and, since Inkling is a high priority character as is, I think an amount of effort would go into making this work. But again it really only needs to apply to Octoling, who can literally be as simple as an alternate costume for Inkling to begin with.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I agree with you, but I think the biggest hurdle is simply: how would they work? Do you make them a duo character, or do you choose one, and if so, who do you choose? And if you choose the duo path, how would that even work? Ice climbers style or switch characters style? And if you go with the latter, do they have both similar gameplay like Pya Mythra, or you do double the amount of work Pokémon trainer style?

I think another overlooked Splatoon newcomers is DJ Octavio. I think he's often overlooked because people are so focused on Octoling right now, and I do agree that they're very likely to the point that I would argue they're the closest thing to a "lock" the next Smash have, but DJ Octavio have a lot going for him too. He's very unique design wise, and he's one of the few Splatoon characters to have a pretty big roles in all three game.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you, but I think the biggest hurdle is simply: how would they work? Do you make them a duo character, or do you choose one, and if so, who do you choose? And if you choose the duo path, how would that even work? Ice climbers style or switch characters style? And if you go with the latter, do they have both similar gameplay like Pya Mythra, or you do double the amount of work Pokémon trainer style?

I think another overlooked Splatoon newcomers is DJ Octavio. I think he's often overlooked because people are so focused on Octoling right now, and I do agree that they're very likely to the point that I would argue they're the closest thing to a "lock" the next Smash have, but DJ Octavio have a lot going for him too. He's very unique design wise, and he's one of the few Splatoon characters to have a pretty big roles in all three game.
I think they could be similar to Pyra/Mythra, you can swap betwen them.

I agree with DJ Octavio also, he's up there, honestly i think DJ Octavio and Squid Sisters could BOTH join in Smash 6's base roster, Splatoon deserves it, IMO.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Squid Sisters or any other Splatoon character who isn’t Octoling needs the same ink mechanic as Inkling. That would limit the vast amount of potential within this series for these characters to be diverse.

Assuming an idol character’s focus may be music, I think those elements would be taking precedent and attacks that involve ink or weapons may just have a more temporary effect rather than sticking to the opponent / stage.

Granted, I also don’t think this color thing is an issue. There are colors and dynamic shades that have gone unused in Inkling’s 8 costumes and, since Inkling is a high priority character as is, I think an amount of effort would go into making this work. But again it really only needs to apply to Octoling, who can literally be as simple as an alternate costume for Inkling to begin with.

I honestly think it would be weird to have the Squid Sisters without the ink mechanic, they can have some dance moves, but i asume most of their kit will be weapons or sub weapons not used by the Inklings.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I honestly think it would be weird to have the Squid Sisters without the ink mechanic, they can have some dance moves, but i asume most of their kit will be weapons or sub weapons not used by the Inklings.
If every Splatoon character is going to use the same mechanic and concept, it makes me want them less. This is a character who I feel like you’d need more of a unique gameplay hook in mind for to feel inclined to add in the first place. If you’re adding idol characters, you’d want to take advantage of that identity sooner than you would use them to stack on whatever weapons the Inklings aren’t using. At least in my opinion.

But I’d much rather have Off the Hook than the Squid Sisters anyway. I think their more distinct visual identities and body types better signal an offense / defense switch-up mechanic and they use more physical music props than the Sisters that better justify a moveset based around sound and equipment.

Less like Pyra and Mythra or Ice Climbers, and more like how Diddy and Dixie may have played. One swaps position to become the lead and the other follows and comes in for occasional assists. I feel like this is the one untapped angle left to explore when discussing team based characters, and it’s very much in the spirit of a musical duo.

Last edited:

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Some stray thoughts based off catching up with the last few pages of the thread:

DJ Octavio would be a very interesting lay-up, but yeah he'd have to go through both octoling and the many idols of the splatooniverse.

I used to really detest the idea of Smash Kart because I wanted MK to dive into the deep cut territory rather than just doing nintendo's mainstays again and thus giving us a roster that's basically identical to a good chunk of smash... after MKT though, I'm starting to think it's the only actual way I'll see characters from mario spinoffs (like Warioware) in the game.

Funny how if the roster becomes smash kart I'd guarantee that the koopalings would return, much to the chagrin of many.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I don’t mind the idea of Nintendo Kart. In fact, after 8 Deluxe and Tour focused on the past, I think it would be a nice change of pace for a game. I’m not 100% sure it would happen, but it would be neat.

It should still be MARIO Kart, of course. Have the mainstay Mario faces like Daisy, Bowser Jr, Waluigi, etc. But I’m fond of the idea of Nintendo delving into their other IPs.

Not gonna lie, Nintendo Kart: Double Dash would go so hard as an idea.

Though I think I’m just not as into the idea of more ‘deep cuts’, it seems.

I think a majority of the casual audience doesn’t care that Fawful or Ashley aren’t in Mario Kart, as long as they can play as Luigi. And I can see them finding some enjoyment out of Samus or Olimar in a go-kart.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I think the thing that bothers me about DJ Octavio and the Squid Sisters is that I often see them suggested along with the assumption that we'll get Octoling as an echo.

A third Splatoon character sounds cool, but I'll be hella disappointed if it was at the cost of a half-assed Octoling. You can build an entire moveset out of the dualies or the tri-stinger alone and that still leaves the splat brella, charger and splatling at their disposal. Octoling can still share the ink mechanic and have similar stats to Inkling, but this is easily one of the most important characters Nintendo has left to add. They should absolutely prioritize making Octolings into a fully fledged unique newcomer before just about anything.

I'd be fine with another Splatoon newcomer in addition to a unique Octoling, but it also feels pretty unnecessary. If we're getting a brand new take on a Splatoon moveset with 8 totally unique, stylish alternate costumes, one or two new stages, some new items, etc. then I feel like I'll be more than satisfied with new Splatoon content.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I think the thing that bothers me about DJ Octavio and the Squid Sisters is that I often see them suggested along with the assumption that we'll get Octoling as an echo.

A third Splatoon character sounds cool, but I'll be hella disappointed if it was at the cost of a half-assed Octoling. You can build an entire moveset out of the dualies or the tri-stinger alone and that still leaves the splat brella, charger and splatling at their disposal. Octoling can still share the ink mechanic and have similar stats to Inkling, but this is easily one of the most important characters Nintendo has left to add. They should absolutely prioritize making Octolings into a fully fledged unique newcomer before just about anything.

I'd be fine with another Splatoon newcomer in addition to a unique Octoling, but it also feels pretty unnecessary. If we're getting a brand new take on a Splatoon moveset with 8 totally unique, stylish alternate costumes, one or two new stages, some new items, etc. then I feel like I'll be more than satisfied with new Splatoon content.
But Inklings and Octolings are functionally identical in Splatoon. It also doesn't help that they look way too similar.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don’t mind the idea of Nintendo Kart. In fact, after 8 Deluxe and Tour focused on the past, I think it would be a nice change of pace for a game. I’m not 100% sure it would happen, but it would be neat.

It should still be MARIO Kart, of course. Have the mainstay Mario faces like Daisy, Bowser Jr, Waluigi, etc. But I’m fond of the idea of Nintendo delving into their other IPs.

Not gonna lie, Nintendo Kart: Double Dash would go so hard as an idea.

Though I think I’m just not as into the idea of more ‘deep cuts’, it seems.

I think a majority of the casual audience doesn’t care that Fawful or Ashley aren’t in Mario Kart, as long as they can play as Luigi. And I can see them finding some enjoyment out of Samus or Olimar in a go-kart.
I just want one attempt at a Nintendo Kart racer. Not a replacement for Mario Kart, just one crossover-focused game. For easy reasons. Not just a roster of Nintendo characters, but also tracks, karts and items to choose from. Not to mention, any character that would not be easy to put into Smash Bros as a fighter can easily be put into a Nintendo Kart. And there's certainly potential for medium or deep cut characters.

That said, I'm aware that in terms of the tracks that some are afraid of tracks being similar like what happened with Smash Ultimate, but one, Smash Ultimate's issue was the fact that they brought back most stages that were originally intended to be replaced by the stages that were made similar to them. Whereas a Nintendo Kart would have every track made from scratch(assuming they don't bring back crossover tracks from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) meaning that since they are still prioritising track variety while making tracks, there will be a lot less stages that look similar to each other. And two, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe already has it's fair share of a number of tracks being similar to each other, especially after the Booster Course Pack, so it's not like it was a problem exclusive for Smash Bros.

Perkilator

Smash Legend

I'd at least be fine with DJ Octavio as a boss, even though they'd probably have to do some fiddling to avoid being a mess of a boss by Smash standards.

Top Bottom