• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Fun fact: Wendee Lee is credited in SSBU's credits for voicing someone, but it's not Lyn since they're still using Lani Minella's voice clips. So who could it be?
Tried looking it up, but the only sources I could find either say that she doesn't appear at all, or that she voices Lyn...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Fun fact: Wendee Lee is credited in SSBU's credits for voicing someone, but it's not Lyn since they're still using Lani Minella's voice clips. So who could it be?
Interesting. I thought she sounded different than she did with her Brawl assist trophy. I remember Lyn sounding like Wendee Lee in Ultimate but I haven’t played with assist trophies on in a long time so I’m probably misremembering.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I feel like Nintendo only credited Wendee Lee out of obligation, considering the reused voice clips of Lani Minella.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I thought she sounded different than she did
She doesn't. You're hearing the same old voice clips.
Tried looking it up, but the only sources I could find either say that she doesn't appear at all, or that she voices Lyn...
According to the Smash Wiki she's probably there because of a mixup with Lyn's English VAs, since, again, it's the same voice clips from Brawl.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
So moving on, I've been having some trouble figuring out some Taunts for one of my character wants. I got the Victory Animations figured out for Brian(Quest 64), but solely one taunt. While respectively the rest of the moveset has shown to be difficult to conceptualize beyond "referencing", as being an RPG Hero means that him having a more interesting moveset that at least attempts to use one of his unique mechanics helps him stick out, that's been surprisingly easier. Ironically so.
Taunts aren't that hard to figure out. If a character doesn't have enough particular expressions/poses/dances that they're known for, then simply create new material that still fit the character's personality. It does no harm and can lead to a lot of great things (Luigi's kick, Banjo & Kazooie's duo pose, K. Rool's belly slap, and Captain Falcon's... everything are stand-out examples of this).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Taunts aren't that hard to figure out. If a character doesn't have enough particular expressions/poses/dances that they're known for, then simply create new material that still fit the character's personality. It does no harm and can lead to a lot of great things (Luigi's kick, Banjo & Kazooie's duo pose, K. Rool's belly slap, and Captain Falcon's... everything are stand-out examples of this).
That's why I had trouble in the first place. He has almost zero personality or expressions. XD The most he does is say "Yes sir"(or variants of that) in the demake. That said, I'll relook through the unused spells. Maybe that could be slightly workable. I did that with some Victory Animations(though Silence is used in the third moveset. ...The second moveset technically was never made, but it has enough of a concept either way).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
She doesn't. You're hearing the same old voice clips.

According to the Smash Wiki she's probably there because of a mixup with Lyn's English VAs, since, again, it's the same voice clips from Brawl.
I had to confirm for myself because I could have sworn they changed the voice but you’re right. It is the same as the Brawl voice. I’m guessing my memory was off because I play with mods and I have a Lyn mod over Lucina that is using Wendee Lee’s voice. That is definitely interesting.

I feel like I’m one of the very few people that cares much about particular voice actors and actresses to the point where it’s actually a small factor in how much I want certain characters in Smash. Probably because I’ve watched a lot of anime over the years and I’ve grown to really like and appreciate a lot of the actors in them and various games.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I had to confirm for myself because I could have sworn they changed the voice but you’re right. It is the same as the Brawl voice. I’m guessing my memory was off because I play with mods and I have a Lyn mod over Lucina that is using Wendee Lee’s voice. That is definitely interesting.
If any dev team is good at reusing assets since 2008 it’s the Smash Bros dev team.

i really hope that changes soon

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’m guessing my memory was off because I play with mods and I have a Lyn mod over Lucina that is using Wendee Lee’s voice.
Luckily I don't have to worry about that since PMEX Remix uses Japanese voice clips for Lyn so Roy's mom isn't speaking a different language from her son.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
While we’re on the subject of voice actors and actresses, here’s just a few of my favorites that would be cool to hear in Smash somehow. Unfortunately many of them don’t really play a prominent enough game character to have much a chance but still:

Crispin Freeman
Steve Blum
Johnny Yong Bosch
Chris Sabat
Robert McCollum
Jamieson Price
Chris Patton

Wendee Lee
Luci Christian
Michelle Ruff
Cheremi Leigh
Cristina Vee
Erica Mendez
Laura Bailey

There’s a lot more but I’ll leave it there because I don’t think a ton of people really care about the subject lol.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Luckily, at least a couple of my favorite actors have voiced characters that have some small chance to be chosen for Smash. Whether they’ll actually keep the actors even if the character is chosen is another question. Heres a few that I feel are somewhat realistic options:

Wendee Lee - Lyn
Steve Blum - Sub-Zero and Bill Rizer
Johnny Yong Bosch - Zero
Jamieson Price - Lu Bu
Cristina Vee - Velvet Crowe
Michelle Ruff - Etna
Laura Bailey - Chun-Li

Even some of those are a bit of a stretch but I think they’re all in the realm of possibility at least. Steve Blum is unlikely to voice Sub-Zero even if he does get chosen because they’ve since changed the actor. Same goes for Laura Bailey and Chun-Li.

Does anyone else have any favorite actors and actresses they’d love to see in Smash somehow, even if not as a playable character?

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Does anyone else have any favorite actors and actresses they’d love to see in Smash somehow, even if not as a playable character?
1716218371522.jpeg

Richard Steven Horvitz has a very fun and distinctive voice. Been playing a lot of the Psychonauts duology recently and if Razputin were to ever get in Smash, his role would definitely be reprised by Horvitz unless whatever Nintendo's deal with unions is makes the company avoid casting him, for some reason.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
While we’re on the subject of voice actors and actresses, here’s just a few of my favorites that would be cool to hear in Smash somehow.
Johnny Yong Bosch

Laura Bailey

There’s a lot more but I’ll leave it there because I don’t think a ton of people really care about the subject lol.
Johnny Yong Bosch - Zero
Lucina and Zero in Smash Ultimate: "Are we a joke to you?"

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Lucina and Zero in Smash Ultimate: "Are we a joke to you?"
I thought Lucina was played by her new actress in Smash (Alexis Tipton). Alexis did a great job in other appearances emulating Laura’s Lucina portrayal so it’s hard to tell. I did notice Johnny Yong Bosch is Zero in Ultimate but I was mostly referring to playable characters. Still really cool he’s in it at all.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I thought Lucina was played by her new actress in Smash (Alexis Tipton). Alexis did a great job in other appearances emulating Laura’s Lucina portrayal so it’s hard to tell. I did notice Johnny Yong Bosch is Zero in Ultimate but I was mostly referring to playable characters. Still really cool he’s in it at all.
No, Lucina reuses her lines from Smash 4. So in Smash Ultimate, she still uses Laura Bailey's voice.

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
That's got me thinking: In Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, both have 10 bosses each (not counting tandem bosses like Master Hand & Crazy Hand or Galeem & Dharkon). Assuming the next game followed suit, which bosses would you pick?
  • Master Hand & Crazy Hand
  • Fury Bowser
  • Lord Fredrik
  • Calamity Ganon
  • Queen Sectonia
  • Mega Rayquaza
  • Porky
  • Hades
  • Dr. Eggman (if he's playable, then Perfect Chaos)
  • Rathalos/Dracula
  • Jasper Batt Jr.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That's why they should add Persona 4 protagonist to Smash.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Didn’t Jonny Yong Bosch voice Nate in yo-kai watch?
Whilst I do recall Johnny Yong Bosch was more notably well known for playing Adam Park in the second and third season of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Power Rangers Zeo and Power Rangers Turbo, I also believe he voiced Ichigo Kurosaki in the BLEACH anime as well as Nero in the Devil May Cry franchise.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Whilst I do recall Johnny Yong Bosch was more notably well known for playing Adam Park in the second and third season of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Power Rangers Zeo and Power Rangers Turbo, I also believe he voiced Ichigo Kurosaki in the BLEACH anime as well as Nero in the Devil May Cry franchise.
nero was the guy with the arm that everyone hated right?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Even some of those are a bit of a stretch but I think they’re all in the realm of possibility at least. Steve Blum is unlikely to voice Sub-Zero even if he does get chosen because they’ve since changed the actor. Same goes for Laura Bailey and Chun-Li.
I could imagine Jennie Kwan who is the current VA for Chun-Li in Street Fighter 6 voicing her if the character were to be in the next Smash game. I'd also expect Kyle Hebert to reprise his role for Ryu though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not really. And if they did, not anymore after Devil May Cry 5 where he's regarded very highly by DMC fans to the point where he's a popular fan pick for a new Versus Capcom game and is currently being modded into the UMvC3 Community edition.
apart from that did I have the right guy?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They are not balanced against the entirety of said stages, which already eliminates a ton of work required.
...that's not how stage balancing works.

They don't balance each character in each stage individually. They build characters that are balanced within the framework of Smash's gameplay. And they build stages that are balanced within the framework of Smash's gameplay.

Hugo isn’t colossal, but he’s the biggest I can think of as a more suitable boss than M. Bison.
SF just doesn't need a Boss in Smash. Any SF character that makes sense as a Boss makes more sense as a Fighter.

It's hard to say since they haven't recently been in the same game, but I think Abigail is bigger.
Hugo is 7'10". Abigail is 8'0".

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m curious if there’s any chance we’d get Nero over Dante as a DMC rep. He’s another popular Johhny Yong Bosch character, was the main protagonist in modern titles, and has an awesome theme song in Devil Trigger. I think Dante’s still more likely since he was the original protagonist and is still active in the series but it’s something to think about at least.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I’m curious if there’s any chance we’d get Nero over Dante as a DMC rep. He’s another popular Johhny Yong Bosch character, was the main protagonist in modern titles, and has an awesome theme song in Devil Trigger. I think Dante’s still more likely since he was the original protagonist and is still active in the series but it’s something to think about at least.
Definitely not over Dante. Especially when Sakurai has acknowledged Dante being a popular request with his Mii Costume reveal.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Definitely not over Dante. Especially when Sakurai has acknowledged Dante being a popular request with his Mii Costume reveal.
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking as well. I’m also not really expecting two DMC characters. If we did get a second down the line, he’s competing with Vergil so I don’t know who’s more likely there.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I'm almost sure establishing Studio S, as opposed to the continued ad hoc, per-game assembling of devs is part of the plan to gradually have Sakurai recede in his active role to one of more delegation and oversight, to fully leaving it to them. So I suspect someone from that team succeeds him as director.

Also, after checking, the current Kirby director didn't even join HAL until after Melee, so he has no Smash development experience.
Working on kirby itself is SMash experience!
He also worked on 3 kirby fighting game spinoffs, has had multiple games with tons of collectibles AND has done fanservice bMovesets!
Okay fine he probably didnt do all of that himself but neither did sakurai so i think hes fine!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not unless DMC6 is an entirely Nero-focused game. Dante had the whole spotlight for the first three games and SMT3 and was the focus character for half of 4 and 5. Nero only becomes the REAL main character at the end of DMC5. Dante's still far and away the selling point of the series, at least as of current

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nero was definitely controversial in his first appearance but idk, that always felt like people hating the new thing for being new. Either that or his moveset obviously being for newcomers.

I think most fans warmed up to his DMC4 incarnation once the game got old enough.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I like Nero but I don’t know how much of that is bias because he’s played by Johnny Yong Bosch. I had a lot of fun playing both him and Dante in DMC5.

On a side note, I’m curious if Dante took any inspiration from Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy VII. Their personalities are totally different but they have a lot of similarities in terms of attire, transformations, and guns. They’ve always kind of reminded me of each other for those reasons.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
That's got me thinking: In Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, both have 10 bosses each (not counting tandem bosses like Master Hand & Crazy Hand or Galeem & Dharkon). Assuming the next game followed suit, which bosses would you pick?
  1. Giant/Giga/Fury Bowser (Super Mario)
  2. Calamity Ganon (Zelda)
  3. A New Kirby Boss
  4. A New Pikmin Boss
  5. Z OR Alpha (Xenoblade)
  6. DJ Octavio (Splatoon)
  7. Egg Dragoon (Sonic)
  8. Rathalos (Monster Hunter)
  9. Master Hand & Crazy Hand
  10. New OC Villain

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think most fans warmed up to his DMC4 incarnation once the game got old enough.
Kinda happens for most games. Heck, even DmC. Sure, the stigma is definitely still there for DmC, but DmC itself has been acknowledged as a decent game in it's own right. As for DmC Dante, you either hate him with a passion, you don't care for him or you think he's a decent character on his own, but still acknowledge he's not The Dante from the Devil May Cry series.
On a side note, I’m curious if Dante took any inspiration from Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy VII. Their personalities are totally different but they have a lot of similarities in terms of attire, transformations, and guns. They’ve always kind of reminded me of each other for those reasons.
No. Because Devil May Cry was originally a concept for Resident Evil 4, Dante was originally going to be a policeman like Leon Kennedy and his name was similar to Chris Redfield's name. As for his personality, he was based on Johnson from the Cobra manga series.

Last edited:
Top Bottom