• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
We really need Disney and Universal Studios hopping on this same train for Platform Fighters.
As weird as it sounds, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Disney have considered it but denied it because of some arbitrary brand agreement from the 1930s saying that Mickey Mouse can never, under any circumstances, engage in any form of physical combat

Also I can't help but find the idea of Universal's just being like, Marty McFly, a realistic T-Rex, six different Minions with unique movesets, and Jason Bourne pretty funny

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
then how does kingdom hearts exist?
I'm being facetious for the sake of comedic effect, very sorry for the lack of clarity

Admittedly though I can imagine there being some branding issues that Disney would have with this kinda thing? I heard something about a proposed Disney Villains game that got canned for similar reasons so I'm mostly just spitballing

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Shaggy let alone Velma getting in over Scooby still doesn't feel right to me tbh.
I mean, i'm being hyperbolic but Scooby is 100% coming soon. His model was briefly seen in that hockey thing. Plus how often do you see a four legged fighter? (Reindog? Never heard of him)

It's still weird how Velma made it over scooby tho, not to mention prob one of the most creative and strong characters in the game. I do hope is not a lame reason like the Velma show because that would suck a lot but her kit and design are awesome.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
As weird as it sounds, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Disney have considered it but denied it because of some arbitrary brand agreement from the 1930s saying that Mickey Mouse can never, under any circumstances, engage in any form of physical combat

Also I can't help but find the idea of Universal's just being like, Marty McFly, a realistic T-Rex, six different Minions with unique movesets, and Jason Bourne pretty funny
Don't forget fast and furious guy

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm being facetious for the sake of comedic effect, very sorry for the lack of clarity

Admittedly though I can imagine there being some branding issues that Disney would have with this kinda thing? I heard something about a proposed Disney Villains game that got canned for similar reasons so I'm mostly just spitballing
well dissdia was originally gonna focus on Disney characters but it was nomura who didn’t like them fighting. And I have seen concept art for what was going to be a different Disney fighting game which could be the one you’re thinking of but it wasn’t just villains and there was no reason given for the abandonment of the game

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I heard somewhere (might have been this thread) the game was pitched to Netflix and Disney as well, though. Did it start as a WB pitch first and they had back up pitches just in case?
I think that the game was at first meant to have a fully original cast, but they decided to make it a crossover game instead. This resulted in the scrapping of nearly all of the original cast, with only Reindog surviving because the devs liked him. I think that the "Ninja" and Brute" characters found in the data were relics from when this game was supposed to have a fully original cast. Then the game was pitched to both Netflix and Disney, with both companies rejecting. They then made a last ditch push to Warner Bros, who decided to finally greenlight the project and the game ultimately became a WB crossover fighter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, i'm being hyperbolic but Scooby is 100% coming soon. His model was briefly seen in that hockey thing. Plus how often do you see a four legged fighter? (Reindog? Never heard of him)

It's still weird how Velma made it over scooby tho, not to mention prob one of the most creative and strong characters in the game. I do hope is not a lame reason like the Velma show because that would suck a lot but her kit and design are awesome.
All things considered, he should've gotten in before Shaggy and Velma. He's the titular protagonist.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You can't bring in Gunter without at least alluding to Orgalorg in some manner.

Well, you could, but it'd be a shame not to at least reference it.
I was thinking this even adds to the joke factor to some degree. An unsuspecting penguin doubling as / morphing into a Lovecraftian monster is rewarding to fans but also hilarious to anyone without context. Would honestly make for a killer moveset, I'm kinda bummed that we won't get it now.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All things considered, he should've gotten in before Shaggy and Velma. He's the titular protagonist.
Scooby would be significantly harder to implement due to being an incredibly lanky quadruped and all of the members of Mystery Inc. are iconic anyway. We know he's coming to the game at some point, so it makes sense to work on the characters who are easier to make first.

It's really not that deep.

Faso115

Smash Lord
So, how many characters do you guys expect for each season?

Im probably expecting Max 3, ideally only 1 to avoid another Beta season1 where characters got delayed and random characters got pushed forward instead.

Eesh was beta season 1 a mess.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Im probably expecting Max 3, ideally only 1 to avoid another Beta season1 where characters got delayed and random characters got pushed forward instead.

I think that we're getting the PPGs, Dexter, Scooby-Doo, and Daenerys for Season 1, as they've been hinted at for a while. Dexter and the PPGs have stages in the game and the latter were also shown in Joker's gameplay trailer. The latter two were hinted in the Riddle Game that revealed Joker, along with Scooby making an appearance in the NFL trailer.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Season 1 is animation themed right
The seasons don't really have themes as far as we know. They didn't in the beta, and because we don't know the lineup now, we don't know for the full release.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I think a regular season will have 1 or 2 new characters, usually 1 at start of season and 1 middle of season. I think season 1 will probably be an exception with 3 at start and maybe 1 or 2 more in middle (because there's a lots of hints of PPG coming soon and there's maybe a last surprise).

I just hope they're going to have a clear roadmap this time because the "we're dropping characters whenever we feels like it" from beta day clearly didn't work. I'd rather have something like Overwatch where it's clear from the start when new characters are coming (which is one every other season in the case of Overwatch).

On another note, I do hope we also get maps on a regular basis. This is also something that beta was lacking, with them only adding 2 maps (with one of them not being playable in the main game mode). One map every season would be very nice too, with again, Season 1 probably being the exception with 3 maps (2 we already know and Water tower thing probably coming also).

Season 1 is animation themed right
I don't think so. Banana guard fits the theme, but Joker not really (I mean, sure he was animated a few time, but he's a comics character first). Also Jason if the leaks are true clearly doesn't fit the theme. Personally I don't think season will have a specific themes, because the problem with that is that if you're, say a fan of Cartoon Network, and you see the next season is DC themed, then players will skip the season. So by not having theme and just adding a bit of everything, more players will want to play every seasons.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Velma's gotten pretty popular in recent years. It's part of why that show got greenlit in the first place (despite having zero to do with why people like Velma in the first place). So her getting in doesn't surprise me at all.

It's her not needing powers to keep up with everyone like Shaggy does, that surprises me.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Also on the topic of Scooby-Doo, you can take this with a grain of salt, but according to PapaGenos source, Scooby was planned pretty early on, but the team didn't have that much ideas for his moveset.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so. Banana guard fits the theme, but Joker not really (I mean, sure he was animated a few time, but he's a comics character first). Also Jason if the leaks are true clearly doesn't fit the theme. Personally I don't think season will have a specific themes, because the problem with that is that if you're, say a fan of Cartoon Network, and you see the next season is DC themed, then players will skip the season. So by not having theme and just adding a bit of everything, more players will want to play every seasons.
In the dev update video there's a sign in the back that says animation with the Multiversus logo

Screenshot_20240518_180850_YouTube.png

This combined with Powerpuff Girls, Dexter, and Animaniacs content leads me to believe seasons will have themes and that animation will be season 1.

As for roster theming not lining up, I don't think that'll be an issue. First off, I think Multiversus isn't gonna count Joker, BG, and Jason as "Season 1" characters, they'll be treated as launch characters. Secondly, for future characters I think that while the MAJORITY of season characters will be themed to the season, they'll leave one or two extras that don't relate to it. The season theme will mostly focus on dictate stages, cosmetics and maybe events.

I don't think it's a bad idea if done well, giving seasons themes could be a good way to make sure the speculation scene doesn't become too stagnant with the typical top choices, every season will give incentive to take a break from the most popular choices and get people to think "ooh! this character would go great with the space season!" Or something like that

I also reckon they wouldn't make seasons themed to specific franchises or studios. They'd do broader categories like the above mentioned animation and space.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
In the dev update video there's a sign in the back that says animation with the Multiversus logo

View attachment 389565
This combined with Powerpuff Girls, Dexter, and Animaniacs content leads me to believe seasons will have themes and that animation will be season 1.

As for roster theming not lining up, I don't think that'll be an issue. First off, I think Multiversus isn't gonna count Joker, BG, and Jason as "Season 1" characters, they'll be treated as launch characters. Secondly, for future characters I think that while the MAJORITY of season characters will be themed to the season, they'll leave one or two extras that don't relate to it. The season theme will mostly focus on dictate stages, cosmetics and maybe events.

I don't think it's a bad idea if done well, giving seasons themes could be a good way to make sure the speculation scene doesn't become too stagnant with the typical top choices, every season will give incentive to take a break from the most popular choices and get people to think "ooh! this character would go great with the space season!" Or something like that

I also reckon they wouldn't make seasons themed to specific franchises or studios. They'd do broader categories like the above mentioned animation and space.
The "Animation" on the dev update video is just because this was recorded at the WB animation studio. Also Joker clearly counts as a Season 1 character, is trailer stated so.

Faso115

Smash Lord
The "Animation" on the dev update video is just because this was recorded at the WB animation studio. Also Joker clearly counts as a Season 1 character, is trailer stated so.
Why is jonkler more animation of he is aslume patient? Is he stupid? /s

Guys, season themes never panned out even back in the beta and this will be no different. I hope they had some schedule cause it's going to be annoying if they just release whatever they have ready.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
It's a screen. It usually shows clips of WB's animated works. They changed it to the logo just for this video.
Ok I admit defeat

Bit of a shame cuz I liked the idea of theming seasons, makes them feel more special than just timespans where battle passes occur in.

darkvortex

Smash Lord

View attachment 389565
that's just a thing that's in that building. Not a MVS specific thing .

Joker was also listed as "season 1" in his trailer

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You know the great thing about Kong?

He could get in both this and a Universal Studios Platform Fighter. Talk about killing two birds with one stone! :D

Though Multiversus would be based upon his MonsterVerse incarnation and Universal would be more his original or Peter Jackson version.

Faso115

Smash Lord
There should be a character that just shows up in every platform fighter and no one questions it.

I think so far the character that have appeared in more than one platform fighter franchise as playable characters are Snake and Simon Belmont.

Unless i'm missing some indie game i haven't heard about.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
There should be a character that just shows up in every platform fighter and no one questions it.

I think so far the character that have appeared in more than one platform fighter franchise as playable characters are Snake and Simon Belmont.

Funnily enough Orcane from Rivals of Aether is right up there, despite originating from a platform fighter himself. Shovel Knight's also got quite a few under his belt, but... it's Shovel Knight, he's in everything lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I think the record actually goes to the TMNT.

Leo and Mikey have NASB1, Brawlhalla, and TMNT Smash Up.

Raphael and Donatello have NASB2, Brawlhalla, and TMNT Smash Up.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It's really obvious the writers have watched very little Steven Universe, since Steven himself is completely and totally off, while some of Garnet's interactions feel out of character (why does she hate Batman so much?)
Because Steven Universe is the show about them gay space rocks and there's nothing the gay liberals hate more than the rich capitalists!

...I'm joking but I feel like this might actually be what they're doing because she's got like three lines dunking on him for being rich

Faso115

Smash Lord
Cant believe the first mortal kombat character ever added is Jason!

(Please ignore jonkler i know the funny is better with Jason)

Top Bottom