• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I'm convinced he'd win people over if he was added
Tbh, you could say this for any characters who aren't top picks in Twitter or gaming boards, any character they'll add will have mains or people who like their inclusion regardless who it is or how disliked their inclusion is at first, it happened with Piranha Plant, it happened with Byleth, it happened with Min Min, it happened with Steve....it will happen with any other character they add.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I hope if Terry returns we'll at least see his Garou outfit represented in some fashion. I'm assuming they skipped out on it because it doesn't jive with his animations involving his hat, but I feel like they could just have him wear the coat. That is if they don't figure out some workaround to give an alternate costume a few special animations instead. Not much precedent for that, but at least Inkling / Byleth have some different idles.
This is what I'm hoping for, but I'm not really holding my breath either given Smash's track record with costumes.

I'm convinced he'd win people over if he was added, but it makes sense to me that people might overlook him before seeing him in execution. I'm convinced that Samurai Shodown's gameplay essence implemented in Smash would be enough to emphasize him as "flashy" just as Terry was able to win people over by generally just being the coolest guy around. Being able to lose his weapon in particular would be pretty eyecatching. He also has a handful of fun quirks and cool looking moves like the aforementioned tornado attacks and using his sake jug to whack people. And out of all the "sword dude" archetypes, I think samurai is one that most people would be more or less accepting toward given how little of it exists on the roster as is.

Bottom line, one of those characters that people wouldn't know they want until they get him. Yknow, like Terry.

But yeah, Samurai Shodown isn't the kind of series I generally expect to be discussed in the context of Smash. But it is one that I could see Sakurai having an affinity for, and is somewhere higher in the pecking order if we were to discuss introducing a brand new SNK IP to Smash. Pretty much between SasmSho and Metal Slug, I would imagine. Neither of them get quite enough love in the general conversation, compared to some other similarly popular or influential series.
For what it's worth, Haohmaru DID get into Soul Calibur 6, so that may have helped him get at least a little more exposure. Though it's hard to say given that SC is pretty niche as well.

Now that you mention it though, I hadn't even considered his sake flask. That would sadly get cut for sure. I don't mind the absence of the one move where he bonks you with it but having it on his person is imo an important element of his design. Plus, he gets the animations where he uses it to bless his sword. I feel like you'd lose some of his personality and the ronin portrayal.

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
I saw this on Twitter and I wonder if you would change any final smash in Smash 6
I want them to decide if they want Final Smashes to be competitive or not. Right now they feel like a weird in between where they're trying to be both "casual" and "competitive" targeted and kinda falter at both. A lil too boring for casual play but a lil too chaotic for more serious play too. Personally I'd go for the latter; I mean the meter makes it clear they wanted to make them competitive, so might as well go all the way, maybe change the Meter FSes for like, Zelda and Peach more to not break the game. Though it would also be nice if every second one wasn't a cutscene either. I'm not asking for bull**** like DK's old Final Smash, but I mean, Byleth's could have easily been part of normal gameplay.

--

On that note, I want them to give Transformations/Super Modes/Installs/whatever you wanna call em another shot. I agree ones like Giga Bowser and Giga Mac had their issues but I think gutting them entirely was an extreme decision. I think it was the execution that caused problems rather than the concept. I feel like if you rebalanced them a bit (give them options against camping, make them less sluggish, but let them take (reduced) damage/knockback and stuff like a normal fighter), it'd work wonderfully.

Maybe they should not be "Final Smashes" though. Maybe they should be tied to their own separate "Super Form" meters or something, while having normal Final Smashes? Then the Super Forms could get their own final smashes too, or even their own win poses/alts. Hell, if this model works out, I'd even like to see some of the other characters get proper installs. Super Sonic especially would make a great "beefed up moveset" Install.

And though they'll probably never do this, letting us play as the Super Forms permanently by pressing a extra button when selecting the character ala Zero Suit Samus in Brawl would be fun too.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I want them to decide if they want Final Smashes to be competitive or not. Right now to they feel like a weird in between where they're trying to be both "casual" and "competitive" targeted and kinda falter at both. A lil too boring for casual play but a lil too chaotic for more serious play too. Personally I'd go for the latter; I mean the meter makes it clear they wanted to make them competitive, so might as well go all the way, maybe change the Meter FSes for like, Zelda and Peach more to not break the game.

--

On that note, I want them to give Transformations/Super Modes/Installs/whatever you wanna call em another shot. I agree ones like Giga Bowser and Giga Mac had their issues but I think gutting them entirely was an extreme decision. I think it was the execution that caused problems rather than the concept. I feel like if you rebalanced them a bit (give them options for camping, make them less sluggish, but let them take (reduced) damage/knockback and stuff like a normal fighter), it'd work wonderfully.

Maybe they should not be "Final Smashes" though. Maybe they should be tied to their own separate "Super Form" meters or something, while having normal Final Smashes? Then the Super Forms could get their own final smashes too, or even alts. Hell, if this model works out, I'd even like to see some of the other characters get proper installs. Super Sonic especially would make a great "beefed up moveset" Install.
I've said it many a time before and I'll say it again. They need to separate Final Smashes and Supers entirely.

Revert Final Smashes to chaotic, balance out the window, nonsense and make them Smash Ball only again.

Then either give everyone multiple, proper supers or drop them entirely if they think it'll be more effort than it's worth.

The middle ground that they're at right now still isn't balanced like supers should be, nor do we get fun stuff like playable Giga Bowser, Wario Man, Landmaster, etc.

Almost every FS is just a cutscene screen nuke. There's no strategy involved and they don't feel rewarding to land as a result.

With the Smash Ball at least, there's a struggle over who will manage to break it, the dynamic of the fight changes.

The current meter is pretty much just, "Oh it's full now, stop the match real quick." x the number of players because everyone usually winds up building it one after another in quick succession.

Plus without anything else to spend meter on it's really just a glorified ATB bar/timer since it builds up automatically.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
A bit of off-topic, but does anyone else feel like we're a bit lacking on crossover games lately? (excluding gacha crossovers ofc), the only crossover games i can think right now is Multiversus.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
A bit of off-topic, but does anyone else feel like we're a bit lacking on crossover games lately? (excluding gacha crossovers ofc), the only crossover games i can think right now is Multiversus.
Maybe? Personally, I've got crossover fatigue, though from media in general not necessarily games in particular.

Since you did specify games though, I don't think we're really lacking. I can't really say for other genres, but in fighting games at least, we do have Multiversus as you said, plus smaller projects like Fraymakers on the horizon. I suppose that's not a whole lot, but I don't really expect a whole lot of full crossover games. Otherwise, we still get plenty of guest appearances.

I do enjoy some crossovers, but I'm not particularly interested until I see them, I guess. I'd definitely be excited for a new Marvel vs Capcom or CvS3, stuff like that, but I'd have to see what a crossover entails before I got excited for it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i can think of a few others. nickelodean's second one, a couple disney corssovers

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Well, Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2 just added Zuko, and as you said, Multiversus is setting the stage for a comeback. There's also that Disney Mirrorverse mobile game and Dreamlight Valley

The time is perfect for a PlayStation All-Stars 2

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think most corporations believe that getting your stuff in Gacha games or Fortnite or something like that is more lucrative in the long run and it is not worth spending money on a big crossover game when you don't have to spend money to let others use your things.

and Game companies would rather spend double the money on Live Service games that will last a year, tops.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
In Vs. Capcom's case:
  1. They're probably trying to find their grounding with Street Fighter 6 first before making another fighting game, especially before a Vs. Capcom game.
  2. Capcom and/or Disney are probably hesitant with each other after how poorly Marvel vs Capcom Infinite did and how over in charge(or whatever the word I'm looking for is) Disney was to Capcom.
If we get another Vs. Capcom game soon, it's likely going to be a crossover with another company. Could be SNK vs Capcom, could be a new company.

I have seen rumors about Sumo potentially doing another Sonic racer, possibly another Sonic & All-Stars Racing game, but I'm waiting until it's 100% confirmed first before anything else.
---
But yeah, for the most part, aside from Multiversus, there's been a huge lack of crossover focused games. Most crossovers have been simply additions to main titles, whether to Fortnite, Gacha games, MMOs, or games with a cosmetic focus in general.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
re: my SNK question, I'm unsurprised to see the love dealt toward Nakoruru.

But it makes me curious, how come Haohmaru gets largely shafted within this conversation? On paper it makes sense - he feels like the most "basic" pick, he's kind of a standard samurai character. Nakoruru is a cute girl with a knife and a bird companion. It does call to some interesting potential on her end, and as far as practicality or likelihood goes she's got a Mii Costume and had a role in Terry's trailer.

On the flipside though, at least in the context of Smash's own roster, I think Haohmaru stands out a lot. It's odd to me that Smash still doesn't have its signature samurai character, probably one of the most glaringly and confusingly absent archetypes simply given how popular it is to explore across a slew of games. Nintendo has their own options via Takamaru, Samurai Goroh, and by some metric Ganondorf now. But the point being, the lack of a playable samurai altogether would already make Haohmaru a striking addition to the series.

Nakoruru is a bit more marketable and widely popular, but Haohmaru is a star in his own right and the leader of Team Samurai in KOF. Technically, he's the series protagonist. I suppose it's something like the relationship between Demitri and Morrigan from Darkstalkers, where Demitri is the intended main character and Morrigan became the breakout star. I think with Samurai Shodown, it's a bit less extreme (and Haohmaru doesn't quite have his "Midnight Bliss" to gatekeep him from crossover games) but it seems like the most apt parallel.

Gameplay wise, Nakoruru has that bird and she's got a bit less of a conventional swordie kit. But I'd wager again, Haohmaru stands out just fine by proxy. The traditional fighting game characters we have on the roster so far are all varying degrees of martial artist. We don't have a sword character with command inputs, the whole shebang. And with Shodown's unique properties like Rage Gauge and the ability to be disarmed or drop your weapon (so presumably, Haohmaru would enter a second, disadvantage state with exclusively physical attacks) is plenty to serve him as a unique addition. Adding all that to Nakoruru's more complex pseudo-puppet gameplay might make her just a little too unwieldy. With Sakurai's design philosophy in mind, I think he might feel more inclined toward Haohmaru's more straightforward approach.

Yknow, hypothetically. I dunno how likely it is, Samurai Shodown is a pretty small-time series compared to other third parties on the roster but it's a pretty feasible second dip for SNK and feels like it's had a somewhat overlooked influence on certain Smash mechanics (rage) and even some attacks and character quirks (Mii Swordfighter essentially has Haohmaru's Ougi Senpuu Retsuzan).

I'd be totally down for either this or simply having them on-foot. I feel like there's a ton of potential and personality brimming from both options, neither would feel like any other character on the roster - no wrong answers in my book. The prospect of outright playing as a tank would be pretty incredible. I wonder if they would have the guts to make this the definitive biggest or heaviest character on the roster, surpassing Bowser.
Haohmaru's pretty cool, yeah, and I totally understand the feeling of him going somewhat underdiscussed. It's really just that Nakoruru is like.....one of the iconic SNK characters. Like, one of the most popular characters in their entire library. It's hard to compete against that, especially when the latter also has what most would at first glance consider a more distinctive kit. It's a shame, because Haohmaru is a very cool character in his own right, but Nako just....feels right as an inclusion to me, and I'd be disappointed to see her passed up.
In Smash 4, Pac-Man kinda felt like a company ambassador. To some extent he still does, mostly for classic Namco arcade games but he did and still does have his little taunt to pay homage to series across Namco's catalogue. At some point many people just kind of accepted this was how Namco would remain represented, and Tekken caught us off guard. I recognize it's a bit different here, but I don't think Metal Slug / Samsho should be gatekept under the guise that they have a few songs in the game already. Terry does a great job as SNK's ambassador, but acting like that's all it's due is selling the rest short.
Huh, did people actually think Pac-Man was supposed to represent all of Namco? I actually don't think I remember ever seeing people take that sentiment so far, I always took it more as him just being the ambassador for "old-school" Namco. So like, we might still get Tekken or Tales, but not so much, like, Dig Dug or Druaga or whathaveyou. That's the impression I always had anyways

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Huh, did people actually think Pac-Man was supposed to represent all of Namco? I actually don't think I remember ever seeing people take that sentiment so far, I always took it more as him just being the ambassador for "old-school" Namco. So like, we might still get Tekken or Tales, but not so much, like, Dig Dug or Druaga or whathaveyou. That's the impression I always had anyways
I was generalizing a bit just to emphasize that it’s silly to dismiss other options under the guise of Terry being somewhat of a collective company mascot. The sentiment with Pac-Man was and still is mostly that he carries old-school Namco arcade stuff on his shoulders. But for a bit when it seemed like Tekken was off the table, people started to lose hope and figure Namco might just be stuck with their mascot, or that they were being humble or something. It wasn’t a super widely understood sentiment but it struck me as similarly a bit dismissive.

But yeah, sorry if that point was a bit distracting. The main sentiment I wanted to get across is Terry’s representation shouldn’t be a barrier for anything else, because they didn’t exactly plan ahead and put Samsho aside for Smash 6 or something. This was the big opportunity to pack in all the SNK stuff they could and they took it. Metal Slug / Samsho are still pretty sparse outside of their music. To a similar token they could probably go ahead and add Taizo Hori if they wanted.

I respect the angle on Nakoruru too. For me I think it has to do more with visualizing Samurai Shodown’s quirks in Smash, and that Haohmaru might allow a smoother and clearer translation of say, the disarming mechanic. So I feel like that’s something that may appeal to Sakurai, and feels more effective to me. But I guess there you have more of a conflict between representing game, vs individual character. On the latter front I totally get why Nakoruru has taken the lead, although I like them both about equally.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Right, my question was under the hypothetical that it does happen. I don't necessarily think it will.

Although I'd rather not use "Terry is representing his whole company" as an excuse anyway. For now he is, but neither Sakurai nor SNK had foresight regarding what would happen next game. Terry was the opportunity to celebrate the company in the moment, mostly through music. But it's not as if we have a Metal Slug or Samurai Shodown stage, or any of those characters appearing in the background either. Not to mention under this condition, someone like Athena or Iori could just operate as a "second rep" scenario under the general KOF-adjacent umbrella.

I recognize it's a bit different here, but I don't think Metal Slug / Samsho should be gatekept under the guise that they have a few songs in the game already. Terry does a great job as SNK's ambassador, but acting like that's all it's due is selling the rest short.
For Ultimate, Terry was basically representing the whole company. But yes, there's nothing to say it would have to remain that way. Even if he showed up first with all the content he brought to Ultimate, obviously Metal Slug and SamSho have additional content. They're whole ass series, and what we have right now are a few songs. It reminds me of when people said a character like Waluigi or BWD couldn't be DLC because how would they make a whole pack around them, as if we were out of Mario and Kirby content.

On the other hand, it is Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown. It's not that they don't have feasible options, it's that as series... well there's no shortage of much bigger ones. I mean Terry is SNK's most prevalent character, and he himself was seen as among the "smallest", if not the smallest third-party we got, Bayo possibly aside. Not that we won't get more characters that veer closer to Terry's level, but... Metal Slug and SamSho still seem fairly remote, at this point.

So in theory I agree with you, but in practice I think the outcome is a long shot.

In Smash 4, Pac-Man kinda felt like a company ambassador. To some extent he still does, mostly for classic Namco arcade games but he did and still does have his little taunt to pay homage to series across Namco's catalogue.
I see where you're coming from, but I think Pac-Man was, if anything, more a retro Namco ambassador. His roulette had a few later references like Don-Chan and Katamari, but he didn't come representing much past the 80s, including in his series' own content. Not like he showed up with Tales, Tekken, SoulCalibur, Dark Souls, Xenosaga, Klonoa, etc (I know the former two later got costumes). Even the music medleys were decidedly retro.

At some point many people just kind of accepted this was how Namco would remain represented, and Tekken caught us off guard.
People started to count Tekken out after Heihachi's costume, but it was never really the case that there was some prevailing belief Namco would never expand past Pac-Man.

Hope was held out for Lloyd until his costume, there was that fluctuating KOS-MOS contingent, and though it's not discussed much, Dark Souls is always acknowledged as an entirely plausible addition. Even to the point some people thought Sora's trailer was leading to that, what with the darkness and fire.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
On the other hand, it is Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown. It's not that they don't have feasible options, it's that as series... well there's no shortage of much bigger ones. I mean Terry is SNK's most prevalent character, and he himself was seen as among the "smallest", if not the smallest third-party we got, Bayo possibly aside. Not that we won't get more characters that veer closer to Terry's level, but... Metal Slug and SamSho still seem fairly remote, at this point.

So in theory I agree with you, but in practice I think the outcome is a long shot.
I do think this is selling Metal Slug a bit short. I’ll certainly give you SamSho, which is why I’m not all that confident in it happening in the first place, but I think Metal Slug’s notoriety is at least pretty comparable to King of Fighters in my experience. It’s definitely one of the more well established run and gun styled games if they want to tackle a character like that, the series has a fairly substantial number of entries too. And just a really strong identity that sells it pretty quickly and comes off instantly recognizable.

Would feasibly be more in the camp of an addition like Simon as a celebration of a standout, influential classic series rather than a healthy evergreen one, but each Smash game tends to have a couple of those and if they have any interest in dealing with SNK a second time it definitely feels like one of the strongest, most prestigious options. I can’t really speak on its strength as a series nowadays, I know it’s dropped some mobile titles that may or may not be official, but I see it as a viable dark horse nonetheless.

…I’m not actively counting on either of them happening though, so I think we’re in the same camp here ultimately. But I was more familiar with Metal Slug than I was Fatal Fury or King of Fighters for years, so by my own metric and those around me who helped introduce me to those games I always felt like it had a decent amount of notoriety. Although I didn’t know about Samurai Shodown til much later. That one would just have to count on them getting real nutty and inspired with their third party picks down the line.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Just follow the 2B appearances to find crossover games lol

Seems like you can license her for a bag of chips and a can of coke. Pretty ironic, considering she's Square.

(and not to take away from Haohmaru's SC appearance, but that's probably a part of why those two were chosen - they seem like pretty cheap licenses, and I think Namco was playing SC6 cautiously)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Im still waiting on the next SRW game to be announced, the last major thing they've done with the series was in 2022, ever since the series made the jump to hd development they've put one out every 2 years or so so the next one should be getting announced any day now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Re: Haomaru

I think the main thing that would make people not really all excited over Haomaru is just beginner character syndrome. They act as a template that other characters deviate from, making them the most basic and least interesting. Examples:
  • Mario is the most boring Mario Kart character.
  • Spring Man is the most boring ARMS character.
  • Ryu is the most boring Street Fighter character.
It's kinda rare when this doesn't happen in big ensemble casts like that. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Sol, Morrigan, and Terry, and all of them share this role with other characters (Ky, Demitir, Kyo*) within their series, allowing them to fill a little more of a niche on the roster. Also Fatal Fury doesn't really have any "basic" characters. There's like, that one Ryu lookin dude and that's it.

*Technically King of Fighters is a separate continuity from Fatal Fury and Kyo doesn't exist in the latter, but King of Fighters is also where a lot of people are exposed to Terry, so there's that.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Im still waiting on the next SRW game to be announced, the last major thing they've done with the series was in 2022, ever since the series made the jump to hd development they've put one out every 2 years or so so the next one should be getting announced any day now.
I'll keep dreaming for that Super Robot Wars USA spin-off.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I recently learned about a game called Inverse Ninjas vs. The Public Domain. That's... kind of a crossover, I think.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played SRW, but yeah, it seems like it hasn't released anything for awhile, yeah.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd be totally down for either this or simply having them on-foot.
On foot, I feel like they have too much overlap with Bill Rizer/Lance Bean, whome I also want.

Putting them in the tank would make them a lot more unique.

Random thought, if Final smashes remained like how they were in Brawl and 4 then the Metal Slug would make a perfect final smash for Marco.

Kinda like the Landmaster final smash but smaller and faster.
I hated the Landmaster FS. So I would not like that. :(

I think in the case of Mai specifically, they just didn't find it too worth it to redesign her for a background cameo since it would require extra negotiations, and her outfit in particular a bit difficult to alter in a way that doesn't look silly.
I'm hoping Mai is playable in City of the Wolves. And if so, her redesign is something that causes less issues.

For example, this is Fatal Fury/KoF Blue Mary:
1714276464119.png

And this is Mark of the Wolves Blue Mary:
1714276610741.png

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
re: my SNK question, I'm unsurprised to see the love dealt toward Nakoruru.

But it makes me curious, how come Haohmaru gets largely shafted within this conversation?
2 main reasons.

1. Even though Haohmaru is the MC of SamSho, Nakoruru is more of a mascot character for SNK.

2. Her bird gives her a ton of extra Smash moveset potential.

For Ultimate, Terry was basically representing the whole company.
Then why didn't he come with a Crystalis song?! There's an NES Athena song FFS!

My poor checklist!

Oh, come on. Not even Smash fandom is that superficial.
I agree. Smash DOES need Baiken.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Baiken could be a really funny character in Super Smash Bros.

Sakurai: "So I've added another swordfighter with a down special counter move.
Smash Fans: "How original."
Sakurai: "She can use this move while shielding."
Smash Fans: "She...what?"
Sakurai: "Also if she grabs you she can tie you to her so you can't escape."
Smash Fans: "She...WHAT?"
Sakurai: "She gets hard countered by reflectors though..."

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
What 3rd party characters that are not impossible or extremely unlikely would you get surprised if they got in?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Re: Haomaru

I think the main thing that would make people not really all excited over Haomaru is just beginner character syndrome. They act as a template that other characters deviate from, making them the most basic and least interesting. Examples:
  • Mario is the most boring Mario Kart character.
  • Spring Man is the most boring ARMS character.
  • Ryu is the most boring Street Fighter character.
It's kinda rare when this doesn't happen in big ensemble casts like that. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Sol, Morrigan, and Terry, and all of them share this role with other characters (Ky, Demitir, Kyo*) within their series, allowing them to fill a little more of a niche on the roster. Also Fatal Fury doesn't really have any "basic" characters. There's like, that one Ryu lookin dude and that's it.

*Technically King of Fighters is a separate continuity from Fatal Fury and Kyo doesn't exist in the latter, but King of Fighters is also where a lot of people are exposed to Terry, so there's that.
While I get the general sentiment, I feel like randomly throwing Mario Kart into the mix is a pretty poor example (unless you meant to say Smash Bros.?)

And to some extent I feel like ARMS isn't the best comparison either since outside of their signature abilities everyone still operates the same and share the same pool of arms.

Plus, you go on to name a bunch of main characters you don't find boring. (And it's kind of subjective anyway.)

The poster characters do tend to be the most basic but I don't think that necessarily makes them boring. As you pointed out Sol and Terry are considered to be pretty "cool" and I honestly think it'd be perfectly fair to throw Kyo and even Ryu in there too. Ryu is still a very popular character, he's Mr. Fighting game for a reason.

I won't argue that people will generally name other characters as being more "interesting" but you can't call him the most boring Street Fighter character when Abel exists.

I also think that some people find Ryu's kit to be a bit tiresome not solely for simplicity but retroactively due to the numerous characters in the genre that are derivative of him. It's bound to become less interesting when you play a bunch of other games that all have their own Ryu. It's just a matter of how much of a unique spin a particular game can manage for the archetype.

Again, it is subjective but I honestly would've gone with Hanzo (World Heroes), Rai (Waku Waku 7) and Ryo for a better comparison and even then, Ryo at least still has a dedicated following due to Art of Fightings legacy.

As far as most of the more major fighting game series go, I'd argue the protags are still very well liked. It's when you start moving into some of the more niche stuff when you start seeing weaker showings from more blatantly derivative characters.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What 3rd party characters that are not impossible or extremely unlikely would you get surprised if they got in?
Any character from TF2.

I love them to death. TF2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I play it all the time.

It's never getting any content.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some people want Turok as a newcomer to the Super Smash Bros. series because his video games have been more successful, but he's still a 4th party/non-video game character since we all know that the Turok series started as a comic, so he can't come to Super Smash Bros. series.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Any character from TF2.

I love them to death. TF2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I play it all the time.

It's never getting any content.
It's funny because the only way I picture Valve being forced to acknowledge TF2's bot crisis is if Sakurai approaches them to add TF2 content into Smash lol (I would imagine him trying to join a game only to be constantly headshotted by spinning aimbot Snipers while listening to omegatronics blast loud music over voice chat would not make the best first impression of the game)

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
A western non-indie that isn't from MS or Ubisoft. Edit: Or Epic.
So something like a Mass Effect or Boderlands rep?

Anyone from a free to play game. Such as Fortnite, the many mobile gacha games, etc.
I do have a feeling we're getting a Genshin Impact, Apex Legends or League of Legends rep next game tbh, not sure about Fortnite, but i'd say it's up there too.
I feel like adding one of those characters would attract some people who generally do not play smash bros.

no one at this point. smash lot the surprise element
Idk, if they added Sheldon from Splatoon or a Rean from Trails, i'd be suprised lol.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Quoting again from the alts thread:
Tangentially related take, but if the Smash series were to go on, one thing I'd like to see is a more modern format for character customisation when it comes to costumes, alts, and so forth. Here's an (edited) mockup I threw together a while back;

Essentially...
  • You select a "costume" and a "colour" seperately.
  • Each "costume" can have minor unique elements as needed beyond just a different model - things like voicelines, appearances of attacks, and victory animations could change too. This wouldn't change gameplay elements, though - that's reserved for echo fighters.
  • Obviously some of these costumes would be entirely different characters, some would be alternate costumes... and some could literally just be made up for the sake of looking cool, or references to entirely other things.
  • Each "costume" also has 12 default alts designed by the dev team with different references in mind - or just to look cool. In this example, Mario's "Modern" costume has a Fire Mario alt.
  • Additionally, they'd have four more custom alts you could put together with a colour wheel. For each character, it wouldn't go much deeper than just being able to select a "colour" prominent on them and change it - so for Mario, you could change the blue of his overalls, the red of his shirt and hat, and maybe his skintone. (This works as a form of customisation that wouldn't need moderation, so you don't need to worry about Mario calling you a slur every time he does a forward smash or something.)

This would go really hard, honestly. One additional thing I'd recommend - y'know how when characters walk or run in Mementos, there's that effect around their feet? I think it'd be cool for Dark Link to have a unique thing where when running or walking, he has a splashing water effect around his feet - as in, calling back to his boss fight in Ocarina of Time. I can't imagine it'd cause too many headaches balance-wise, right?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Quoting again from the alts thread:
Dark Link: "You fight on an endless ocean one time and suddenly they decide your socks should always be wet!"

Anyway, this could be a neat idea, and would work well setting up giving characters alternate costumes as DLC. A feature that I find infinitely more likely than putting the entire Mii Maker in the next game. One nitpick though: Even with the UI change, Dr. Mario would not be an alternate costume for Mario since gameplay differences and his former status as a separate character kept him being a separate character. I think a better example would be:
  1. Costume 1: Classic
  2. Costume 2: Builder Mario

Top Bottom