• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Please cite your source on this information.

I didn't explain it properly but my point is moreso that better quality tends to lead to better word of mouth which tends to lead to better sales numbers.
The first game's playercount at its peak is higher I'm pretty sure and everyone was talking about NASB 1 during its peak. Loads of randoms bought NASB 1, Some very unexpected people like LowTierGod even bought and streamed two full priced versions of the game for different consoles. Everyone knowing about the first game is what screwed the second tbh.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Please cite your source on this information.
NASB1 selling better than NASB2 is really easy to prove.

-NASB1 topped multiple charts at launch, and has topped charts again in specific regions since them, NASB2 has not yet done that
-NASB1 was a legitimate cultural phonemenon pre-launch, and many mainstream YouTubers from outside cartoon and gaming circles such as Dude Perfect and Jaiden Animations were playing or being sponsored by it.
-Amazon reviews. Comparing SKUs, the US Switch NASB1 SKU alone has 1,394 reviews; while all 3 NASB2 SKUs avaliable on Amazon US combined share a total of 54 reviews (30 for Switch code-in-box, 24 for Switch cartridge, 0 for Switch code-in-reciept, other platforms are not avaliable on Amazon US at all). The cartridge NASB2 SKU sold the same amount of copies in the past month as Switch NASB1. There isn't even a listing for any other NASB2 SKUs. Of the 10 NASB1 SKUs on Amazon US, some of which don't even have box art, only one has less reviews than all 3 NASB2 SKUs combined (a duplicate, possibly scam, listing of the PS4 SKU that is mistakenly labled Teen and has NASB2's description).

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
NASB1 selling better than NASB2 is really easy to prove.

-NASB1 topped multiple charts at launch, and has topped charts again in specific regions since them, NASB2 has not yet done that
-NASB1 was a legitimate cultural phonemenon pre-launch, and many mainstream YouTubers from outside cartoon and gaming circles such as Dude Perfect and Jaiden Animations were playing or being sponsored by it.
-Amazon reviews. Comparing SKUs, the US Switch NASB1 SKU alone has 1,394 reviews; while all 3 NASB2 SKUs avaliable on Amazon US combined share a total of 54 reviews (30 for Switch code-in-box, 24 for Switch cartridge, 0 for Switch code-in-reciept, other platforms are not avaliable on Amazon US at all). The cartridge NASB2 SKU sold the same amount of copies in the past month as Switch NASB1. There isn't even a listing for any other NASB2 SKUs. Of the 10 NASB1 SKUs on Amazon US, some of which don't even have box art, only one has less reviews than all 3 NASB2 SKUs combined (a duplicate, possibly scam, listing of the PS4 SKU that is mistakenly labled Teen and has NASB2's description).
All of that is circumstantial evidence at best and assumption at worst. Topping a chart doesn't mean anything as pure sales numbers amongst all games vary greatly from week to week, sponsoring a Youtuber costs money and that money could've been better spent improving the game, and reviews are not an indication of purchase; I and basically everyone I know only ever leaves a review if the product is exceedingly bad.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Topping a chart doesn't mean anything as pure sales numbers amongst all games vary greatly from week to week
The whole point of a chart is to track sales numbers. NASB2, as far as I know, has never been on a chart whatsoever, this doesn't inherently confirm it sold poorly, especially given that licensed games tend to be granny-sees-SpongeBob-and-buys-it slow-burns instead of relying on hype, but a game that hasn't ever been on a chart is always going to be at a disadvantage against a game that has topped multiple charts, one of which it has topped multiple times - NASB1's second chart topping was AFTER NASB2 released in fact.

sponsoring a Youtuber costs money and that money could've been better spent improving the game
Yes, that is where money is better used for game quality, but we're talking about sales. Not game quality. Game quality and sales do not go hand in hand, never will, and never should, because sales are objective and quality is subjective. Marketing benefits sales, quality does not.

I and basically everyone I know only ever leaves a review if the product is exceedingly bad.
You call me out for using "circumstantial evidence" and then immediately say this? Anyway, here are the ratings of both games' most reviewed SKUs - NASB1 US Switch on left, NASB2 US code-in-box on right. I'm quite familiar with Amazon reviews, and negative ones are EXTREMELY rare for any product whatsoever.
Screenshot 2024-05-07 185834.png
Screenshot 2024-05-07 185929.png

To put into comparison how rare negative reviews are on Amazon, here are the reviews for notorious "unplayable scam" Gollum (PS4 US SKU)
Screenshot 2024-05-07 190501.png

Stop seeking validation and fighting the NASB1 stigma, and just play and be enthusiastic about the game you like.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The whole point of a chart is to track sales numbers. NASB2, as far as I know, has never been on a chart whatsoever, this doesn't inherently confirm it sold poorly, especially given that licensed games tend to be granny-sees-SpongeBob-and-buys-it slow-burns instead of relying on hype, but a game that hasn't ever been on a chart is always going to be at a disadvantage against a game that has topped multiple charts, one of which it has topped multiple times - NASB1's second chart topping was AFTER NASB2 released in fact.

Yes, that is where money is better used for game quality, but we're talking about sales. Not game quality. Game quality and sales do not go hand in hand, never will, and never should, because sales are objective and quality is subjective. Marketing benefits sales, quality does not.

You call me out for using "circumstantial evidence" and then immediately say this? Anyway, here are the ratings of both games' most reviewed SKUs - NASB1 US Switch on left, NASB2 US code-in-box on right. I'm quite familiar with Amazon reviews, and negative ones are EXTREMELY rare for any product whatsoever.
View attachment 388967View attachment 388968
To put into comparison how rare negative reviews are on Amazon, here are the reviews for notorious "unplayable scam" Gollum (PS4 US SKU)
View attachment 388969

Stop seeking validation and fighting the NASB1 stigma, and just play and be enthusiastic about the game you like.
I am not seeking validation, stop projecting. Just being on a chart is not confirmation of sales numbers. Until you've got the objective physical evidence to back up your claims, you're full of **** by saying that one game outsold the other. That is an objective fact.

My point with the last part, which you clearly missed, is that only a minute percentage of people leave reviews in the first place. Let's take a guarantee example: Super Mario Odyssey. On the first SKU I found on Amazon, there are 33,000 customer ratings. According to Wikipedia, Super Mario Odyssey has sold over 27 million copies, but you'd be hard-pressed to know that based on Amazon SKUs. The fact of the matter is that you do not know how many copies either game has sold, and you're not taking your own objective bias into account when claiming the first game sold better. If only 1000 games where purchased in a week total, and an overwhelming majority of those were Scrimblo Bimblo Adventure, it would top the chart, obviously. That's nothing compared to a Tears of the Kingdom, a Pokemon, a Minecraft - games most people already own. Not to mention that one of the times I know you are citing is when the game was on sale for an incredibly steep discount.

I am not trying to say the second game outsold the first. All I am saying is that public perception of the latter game is clearly more positive, meaning that, theoretically speaking, DLC is going to get bigger buzz. Whether the game gets more DLC or not is irrelevant; as my entire point is based on public perception of the game, which, might I remind you: the first game is seen as laughingstock shovelware by the overwhelming majority.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean as someone who's been paying attention for a while, it seems very obvious to me that NASB1 sold considerably more. Review numbers, online engagement numbers and view counts, concurrent player counts, and general publicity and mind share all VASTLY seem to favor the first game.

As someone who loves both of the games, NASB1 had the bigger draw. The reason a lot of people seem to be more positive about the second is that most of the people who didn't like the first game didn't bother coming back. It's the whole "you only get one chance at a first impression" thing.

Everyone and their mother was talking about the first game. The second game did not have that. That's not a statement of quality one way or the other, but it's just how it is.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I mean as someone who's been paying attention for a while, it seems very obvious to me that NASB1 sold considerably more. Review numbers, online engagement numbers and view counts, concurrent player counts, and general publicity and mind share all VASTLY seem to favor the first game.

As someone who loves both of the games, NASB1 had the bigger draw. The reason a lot of people seem to be more positive about the second is that most of the people who didn't like the first game didn't bother coming back. It's the whole "you only get one chance at a first impression" thing.

Everyone and their mother was talking about the first game. The second game did not have that. That's not a statement of quality one way or the other, but it's just how it is.
There is another factor that hasn't been brought up here: the first game has been available for 2 1/2 years, as opposed to the second which has been available for only about 6 1/2 months. Obviously the first game is slowly going to gain a steady supply of dripfeed sales over time. We also don't know how well this round of DLC has sold, but if a majority of people who bought the game also purchased the DLC, I feel like that's a good indicator to Nickelodeon that, for lack of better terminology, there's still more money they can milk out of this game. The first game's negative general perception likely did have an impact on the DLC sales, even despite pulling in two of the biggest requests.

One way or the other my point wasn't to make a big deal over which game sold better - it was to dissuade the negative perception over the possibility of more DLC. They're not even halfway done with the first batch yet - so making a judgement on whether there will or won't be more DLC isn't fair to make.

Personally speaking, I'd like to see more DLC as this lineup of characters is a mixed bag for me and I'd like to see both some returning faces as well as some new series get represented. I vastly do prefer the second game - it's one of my favorite platfighters by a long shot and is infinitely better than Multiversus was during it's beta - so naturally I'd like to see it have a long and healthy development cycle.

For the record, I did very much enjoy the first game. I thought it was a great starting point. But in a similar method to past Smash titles, it's not a game I plan on revisiting frequently unless I have an overwhelming itch to play a specific character who didn't return. That said, if by some miracle the other 2 turtles, CatDog, Oblina, Hugh, Sandy, Toph, and Powdered Toast Man all did eventually make their way into 2, I would literally have no reason to return to the first.

Also bring back Omashu and Ghost Zone I unironically liked those stages and their music

Top Bottom