• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
Dude! Get Rid Of That And Pm Him It Instead B4 The Mods Come!

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
here's a poly reducer http://www.vizup.com/index.html i found don't know if it words with studio max ...

ps Necro Toad make back up copy's of Geno incase you make some errors ... click on the pictures on the right and check those pictures out ...

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
In 3DS, I believe there's a tessellate option that will convert quads into tris when used.

It's in the editable poly menu.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
how's the progress on Geno Necro Toad hope my poly reducer link helped ^^

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Senjen:

I'm having a lot of trouble to convert Geno into tri polygons. Even doing it automatically, it becomes "deformed". But anyway, your site helped a lot.
My college is killing me with so much homeworks, and so, I haven't posted every day. As soon as possible, I'll put a new version of Geno.

Werewolf25

Smash Rookie
I have to say, that model looks amazing. Like, honestly, that is the best render of Geno I have ever seen.

Brawl hacking has come so far since way back when I longed for Geno in Brawl. Now we have a decent moveset implemented, the forest maze theme easily inserted, and we may well have this excellent model running some time later. Kudos to Necro Toad and all else involved in this project.

Edit: No pressure, no rush Necro Toad. I hate it when people are pressuring you to get a job done that you are doing on your own time.

Garrett223

Smash Cadet
This, in my opinion, is one of the farthest progressed, and GOOD community projects.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
i'm still working in the 3D Model. But unfortunately I'm a little busy with my university.
I'll post something late about the 3d model.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
And once we get the models all set up, we've got people making the moveset and animations. We're probably going to borrow some animations for the beginning, but everything's going to be completely original (I hope)

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
Currently Geno isn't very balanced. I don't see why we need a model to balance his moveset. The last changes are from months ago. When you think about it, it really doesn't make sense to have Fighter AND Cosmic Geno. They should just be combined in the best possible way.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Currently Geno isn't very balanced. I don't see why we need a model to balance his moveset. The last changes are from months ago. When you think about it, it really doesn't make sense to have Fighter AND Cosmic Geno. They should just be combined in the best possible way.
That's sort of what Fighter Geno currently is - I took a lot of ideas from Indigo that I liked.

Anyways... Geno has a lot wrong with his moveset. Most of it is clumsy and unpolished, and there's a lot of things in general that need to be reworked. In the long run, most moves are going to be remade completely. Animating the wrong model is an extreme waste of effort, so we're waiting for a model to be released.

Glad to see that this is still going. Who's still working on the current project, by the way?
As far as I know, development has essentially halted until a model is able to be inserted. I've also been busy with school and involved in another Project (M) at the moment, so I couldn't even put that much time into it anyways. If anybody wants to spearhead an effort to put stuff together at the moment, I wouldn't object.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
That's sort of what Fighter Geno currently is - I took a lot of ideas from Indigo that I liked.

Anyways... Geno has a lot wrong with his moveset. Most of it is clumsy and unpolished, and there's a lot of things in general that need to be reworked. In the long run, most moves are going to be remade completely. Animating the wrong model is an extreme waste of effort, so we're waiting for a model to be released.

As far as I know, development has essentially halted until a model is able to be inserted. I've also been busy with school and involved in another Project (M) at the moment, so I couldn't even put that much time into it anyways. If anybody wants to spearhead an effort to put stuff together at the moment, I wouldn't object.
I don't know if you got it but I sent you a PM with some suggestions.

I see what you mean but I believe some significant changes could be made without further animation. Although I understand if you're too busy.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I don't know if you got it but I sent you a PM with some suggestions.
I thought your name looked familiar. I read your PM like, the day I've got it. There was just a lot of content and I've been meaning to reply but haven't found the time - my apologies.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
I thought your name looked familiar. I read your PM like, the day I've got it. There was just a lot of content and I've been meaning to reply but haven't found the time - my apologies.
No that's fine I just assumed you didn't like me giving suggestions and decided not to respond >_>. In comparison this scenario is much better. Let me know what you think when you get a chance.

I know a lot of things will probably be changed but this is the prototype. It'd be nice to have a stable balanced prototype until it's really done. That would probably also help in comparison to make sure a new move isn't going to be too overpowered or underpowered. Who knows how long it'll take before the model is in and animations are done. It could take a while. In the mean time it'd be nice to be able to use him in a relatively fair match.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Hello,

I am updating the information about the Geno. probably this will be my last update for now. Due to my college and my work, I'm having no time to work on the model. So, I am posting some pictures about the current situation of the model and I'm also posting the original file if any of you resolve to continue the project.

basically left to convert some parts of the model in tri polygons. Also left to reduce the amount of polygons of some part of the body, especially the hands.
We steel need to make a cape. Even if I can get back to work in the model, I will not be able to create a caper. I have trying with all my effort to create something like the orignal cape and I have failed with each attempt. So, if someone can help, it would be great.

Finally, my last updates were at the head, and I am posting a comparison between the old and the current version. The current version is on the left.

Here is the promised picture of Geno. I posted a version with the latest cover and I one without.

Well, that's it. Thanks for all the help and the compliments. I'll still be coming here often, so anything let me know.

Anyone who wants to modify the file, be free to do this.

thanks

File: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F0MDO58M

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
Wow, very impressive. So can anyone finish this up? Even a bad version would work for now, so it can be animated.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
Right but the point is that it's on the road to completion, not much point in trying to import an unfinished model.

Fen__

Smash Ace
Right but the point is that it's on the road to completion, not much point in trying to import an unfinished model.
It couldn't be animated now anyways. Considering importing the model isn't even in the forseeable future (it's possible that it will happen, but there isn't anything being done with it right now), there's no rush to finish the model. What would making a rushed model achieve?

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
An Geno Model

I'm finishing up a low poly Geno model for consideration.

I'm not familiar with Brawl modding so I'm not sure about the limits for the model, it's got about 6500 tris (Still cutting down a bit.) and 3 512x512 textures not including the eye tex.

I can get a basic rig going once I figure out what bones I'll need to put in for it to work in Brawl, I'm not sure what's going to happen with animation, but Shadic will take over at that point.

Hopefully someone can inform me of the technical stuff.

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
i gotta say Joeadok you made his hat a lot better than (sideview) (i forgot the person who modeled the other Geno hat but i both are amazing models if you look back on bottom of page 60 you could see the other Geno model.

now to review your model make the face look like the other's model i don't like how there's little lines between his feet and his hands. Also i like NecroToad's new blue texture alot as well.

i like to review things alot XD

anywho great job as well Joeadok

We will most likely take your model into consideration as well

so thank you

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Great job Joeadok,

I really like your hat.
Please, can you post a picture of your model in bottom view? And can you put his arms down and inside the cape too? That will help a lot to see how close to the original this model is.
I really like your "toon" style. Congratulations

by the way, someone have any idea about when the 3D Model importer will be released? or even if it will be released someday?
I'm just asking because maybe, someone should do the animations with the incompleted version of the models. That would accelerate a lot of the creative process, and how the models are almost finished, we should already start doing the other parts of the project.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
I'm finishing up a low poly Geno model for consideration.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3806/image7dh.png

I'm not familiar with Brawl modding so I'm not sure about the limits for the model, it's got about 6500 tris (Still cutting down a bit.) and 3 512x512 textures not including the eye tex.

I can get a basic rig going once I figure out what bones I'll need to put in for it to work in Brawl, I'm not sure what's going to happen with animation, but Shadic will take over at that point.

Hopefully someone can inform me of the technical stuff.
Looks great.

Do you know if you could post a wireframe version?

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Got the model rigged up sort of and added a few things, namely eyelids, the gun, a slightly smaller tri count (by +-100 tris), eye liner or whatever (After I took these shots.), guess we'll see where we go from here, maybe Brawl would be able to physics the cape or I'll have to add special bones for control.

Also, I've got him at those porportions so he can make the basic SMRPG poses without overlapping or going into himself.

Wireframe(Blender doesn't show the faces properly)

GeminiCrossFade

Smash Ace
@Joeadok That model is amazing. I also dont know much about the brawl modding but i hope a 3d model converter comes out soon because this would be awsome

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
his mouth is a tad too thin...but other than that, EPICNESS!
Maybe slightly :) Can change later.

Well, I went with the Cape/Bone thing and set up 6 bones, 4 for the cape, 2 for the collar. It works well enough. If there are ways to import, I can look into animating methods.

Quickie Render

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
owww... You'r doing a great job Joeadok! your animations are really good too.
Let me just ask a thing, Are you planning to use the geno cape like a waistcoat? Or it's just because the cape haven't any bone?

Well, I don't know if I need to keep upgrading my model, but any way I'll post a picture of it, in it's actual state later. I'll try to post a open archive too, just in case that this can help Joeadok. I'm finally have a cape, and I'll post it soon as I can.

By thw way, I really like your model Joeadok, it's fantastic

Senjen

Smash Apprentice
Joedock you are an amazing modeler 0.0 i give 5 thums up ^^

the renderd version is like i expected Geno to appear in brawl 0.0

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Wow, I am in shock. That is the greates geno model I have ever seen, keep up the good work!

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
I really like the rest of it but the face to me is sooo unappealing. He looks fat almost. Do you think you could make it more flat so there aren't huge indents like that? Slight black gaps make sense assuming they're two different pieces of wood but I don't see why they would mismatch like that in such a way to make indents unless he was poorly made or something. I'd expect them to fit together almost perfectly.

Also personally I think his knuckles in that one image sort of look like skin instead of wood. Either way you should try and mark each line on the face black like in the original image. I think that would really make it look better.

It may sounds like I'm nitpicking but I really do think it would look much better.

The body and hat and cape are great though pretty much perfect.

I feel like Necro Toad's model will go to waste now x_x.

So whats going to happen with his moveset? Is he keeping the current ones, starting from scratch, something inbetween? With a custom model I think there are a lot of new options to consider. Maybe there should be some sort of brain storming session? Make this more of a public project than a private one.

AA and Think from Balanced Brawl would be great at making sense of a moveset instead of just giving him random "cool" moves and of course in balancing him. I wonder if they would help. Balanced Brawl is practically done now after all.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I posted some ideas on a moveset here. I'm probably going to keep some move concepts, and completely revamp a lot of it, especially in terms of animations. The project has already been agreed to open up considerably, and I'm very willing to take contributions from anybody talented and willing.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
I posted some ideas on a moveset here. I'm probably going to keep some move concepts, and completely revamp a lot of it, especially in terms of animations. The project has already been agreed to open up considerably, and I'm very willing to take contributions from anybody talented and willing.
Ah alright didn't see that it's kind of a huge thread. Hmm looking at those ideas I can't help but feel like some of them could lead to him being a bit overpowered.

What would be the range of that jab? I seems weird to have bullets that only go a few inches but anything more would probably be a little cheap. Uair seems fine.

UpB seems really complicated without doing very much. While a good recovery it seems underpowered. There is a reason many Up specials attack as well as recover. Certain attacks and characters could definitely knock him out of it and since you go into free-fall you'd die. For instance Charizard's forward air or Kirby's Up B. If I understand your description you'd have a hard time recovering unless you were moving VERY fast. In that case it'd probably be rather easy to miss the stage in some cases.

Down B would be good but I don't think it should come from the sky like thunder, that move tends to be a little cheap, this would be even moreso. It would probably be best if it just faded in from somewhere between 2 1/2 to 5 times Geno's height. There would definitely need to be a lot of testing for this. This might make it hard to beat him with characters who don't have projectiles, the minimum charge time would have to be significant.

I already pm'd you my comments on his current geno whirl.

Dair sounds fine.

For his fair, what do you think of something like a reversed version of Lucas's back air?

Nair sounds fine.

Not sure about his back air, seems a bit brutish to me.

Also sent you my opinion on his geno beam by pm.

So lets see that's all the air attacks, all the specials, and jab. So what do you think of tilts, running attack, edge attack, 100% edge attack, and throws?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
UpB seems really complicated without doing very much. While a good recovery it seems underpowered. There is a reason many Up specials attack as well as recover.
Geno's UpB potentially being quite weak was intentional in its design. Geno is a character with very strong offense and speed, but incredibly lacking defense. The wisp/star idea would probably end up with the "star" form doing minor stun/damage to people who hit it (Pikachu UpB) this would make it so people can't just walk all over him, but keep the premise of the move.

I like the idea of a forward-flip kick for his Fair. It could be something like Snake's, but weaker, and considerably quicker.

As for the Bair, I had the idea recently of making him use his hand for a sort of energy blast, instead of his legs... Almost like Marth's bair attack, actually. Still need to mentally sort through the details of it, though.

DownB would take quite a bit of time to come out - I estimated the full length of the attack would be 3 seconds. That's almost enough to make the move actually quite unusable, not overpowered in the least. Again, details can be worked out after the "framework" has be laid.

As for tilts, I'd like to keep the basic ideas of Dtilt and Utilt. Ftilt would need an entirely different animation, however, and preferably better range.

Top Bottom