• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
I figured you'd say that about his UpB but I wanted to see what you'd say anyway. Yeah then that would work fine I think.

That Bair sounds good but the animation has to be... well cool. That might take a few tries but that's with anything I suppose. Maybe something like him turning around completely, putting both hands together and shooting said energy attack? That would give it a bit of a "not so fast" coolness to it unlike some other Bairs that seem like the character is just aimlessly attacking behind them.

I figure the foward flip would hit with the heel instead of the toe. As for specifics I say give it some base knockback but not much knockback growth in comparison to most attacks. Maybe something like Mario's Fair in a technical way except much faster with less knockback.

For tilts as well as other things, that model has a gun under his arm. That's f'ing awesome, so his moveset should make use of that. I was thinking a shotgun-esque blast from the arm cannon would make for a good forward smash. I'd love to see him take off his arm with his other hand and hold it during the attack.

He gets that star weapon in bowser's castle, maybe something like that would work as a ftilt? A lot of ftilts are essentially weak faster versions of forward smashes, so maybe a quick star shot from his arm?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Star shot was kinda the idea for down air, but it is supposed to be his most powerful regular attack, so it'll have to be figured out how to make that work properly. Another large issue with making the PSA will be the fast that a lot of attacks are projectile-like, something that we still don't have mastery over.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
Do they really have to be projectiles though? Can't they just be projectile-like?

Ah I see, yeah that would probably work for a down air. Hmm well what for Ftilt then. Physical attacks aren't really his thing so those should probably be avoided to prevent overuse. Random magic attacks seem weird too.

Is the rocket punch in use? Could you do that?

Also does your idea for his UpB mean you're not going to use Geno Boost?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Geno has actually used physical attacks before, however. Check out the introduction to the fight against Bowyer.

And any long-range attacks need to be projectiles, unless you want them to stick out. I was actually thinking of trying to figure out how to turn the boomerang into a working Geno Whirl. Anybody with PSA help would be nice.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah I forgot about that. If I'm right he only uses one attack though right? Well before that though I think you should try to incorporate as many of his actual in-game attacks as possible don't you think?

Like I said AA and Think from Balanced Brawl could probably help but I don't know if they would. At least I think they could help.

Edit: I just checked and he really only does some jumping spin move. Besides that he doesn't use anything but physical and energy projectiles. So while I understand using physical attacks, I think if there are attacks he has in the game like a rocket punch, you should try and use it before anything made up.

Also when Geno uses a special attack in the game a large red star is displayed over him. Anyway you can incorporate that?

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh756KHXJes
Most moves seem doable, I especially love the up-b
Not bad but honestly I like shadic's better. Except for the jab. I think the jab combo might work better than finger bullets. The down smash looks familiar... oh yeah it's lucario's down smash. Not sure copying a move is the best way to go about things. Same for the drill = tornado.

Edit: Actually, I looked at it again and I was thinking. His UpB would suck as Geno's sole recovery but I think a variation of that would make a great grab, Zair and tether recovery. What do you think Shadic? I was thinking rocket punch for Zair and rocket grab for tether recovery and standard grabs with a rope tying his hand to his arm. Is that doable?

Roo525

Smash Ace
Great model, great moveset...
Geno's just that much closer to Blowin up japan. ^-^

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
That render is simply amazing.

Although, it doesn't mean much. I support this project, and would like to help in the way I can.
Ideas, Images, Simple Stuff. I'm not a Brawl hacker yet. But I'll help in anyway I can.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
I still think the face needs a little cosmetic work. It does look great overall but not quite right. Although for all I know he may have adjusted it since the last render though.

As I said I think the lines should be black lines with slight creases instead of huge creases.

Swiftblades

Smash Rookie
do you mean as in the real brawl? oh and btw is this for a emulator or through the sd card>your Wii.? oh and btw
does he still have the scene when u win a fight with toon link and chase a pig?

EDIT:Do you need BrawlPlus to play as geno(and do you need to be Blue colored link to play Geno or any color?) and yeah, do u need BrawlPlus?

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
@Beren Zaiga

Anything is possible... but I wouldn't count on it.

@Swiftblades

No, you don't need BrawlPlus. In fact of any hack I'd recommend Balanced Brawl. It doesn't change nearly as much and definitely fixes some of the pathetically weak characters and nerfs overpowered characters like Metaknight. It also removes infinites.

You can currently use Geno in regular brawl if you have an SD loader. I think his victory scenes are still the same. With the current instructions he'll only appear properly if you play as blue link.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Any chance that model will be appearing in Brawl anytime soon!
Hate to break it to you, but this probably won't happen, all the insanely good hackers are gone(PW for example) and aren't coming back, a new generation of hackers will attempt to get better to do this, but getting to model importing probably won't happen for many years

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Hate to break it to you, but this probably won't happen, all the insanely good hackers are gone(PW for example) and aren't coming back, a new generation of hackers will attempt to get better to do this, but getting to model importing probably won't happen for many years
Well, life will catch up with everyone eventually.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
Don't be so pessimistic, you never know what will happen. We didn't think we'd get a decent model either yet here we are, in fact we got two suitable ones.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
@Akuma: Nooooooooo! T-T at least let us dream. . .
It's better to face reality, I'd rather do that than continuously hoping for something that probably won't happen.

Well, life will catch up with everyone eventually.
Yes it's understandable, I myself am also very busy.

Don't be so pessimistic, you never know what will happen. We didn't think we'd get a decent model either yet here we are, in fact we got two suitable ones.
People thought we couldn't get a decent model 0_o, wow, that's just, ok, but I'm being realistic, not pessimistic.

It's highly likely that stuff won't be happening unless we get some other people insanely good at hacking to randomly show up here and do it for us, but having people waiting and hoping on that is just pointless and, just bad.

Or wait until the current hackers get as good as PW hoping they don't quit along the way like the others, which, even if they don't quit, will take a good amount of time before anyone's that good if anyone else can or is willing to go that far.

Face it, we've got some good people left but none at PW's level, all I'm saying is don't get your hopes up or get antsy for any major stuff like model importing or the clone engine because it's likely that it won't happen ever, or it won't happen for a good long time.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Except Bero is actually continuing production of BrawlBox. And RandomTBush has imported random models before. Progress is still being made.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Except Bero is actually continuing production of BrawlBox. And RandomTBush has imported random models before. Progress is still being made.
Yes but it's very slow, so like I said, either it won't happen ever, or not for a good long time, the current generation of hackers have to get to Phantom Wings' level before any major things like clone engine or model importing will be possible

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
Yes but it's very slow, so like I said, either it won't happen ever, or not for a good long time, the current generation of hackers have to get to Phantom Wings' level before any major things like clone engine or model importing will be possible
It's not a bad thing to hope for something you might not get. It's not like people are giving time or money to this. They're just checking back every once in a while to see if any progress has been made, no harm done really. All you're doing by being 'realistic' is ruining people's hope for this project. You're not doing anyone any favors. Hope and excitement is a good thing even if it's misguided, so long as it's not wasting excessive amounts of time, effort, or money.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
It's not a bad thing to hope for something you might not get. It's not like people are giving time or money to this. They're just checking back every once in a while to see if any progress has been made, no harm done really. All you're doing by being 'realistic' is ruining people's hope for this project. You're not doing anyone any favors. Hope and excitement is a good thing even if it's misguided, so long as it's not wasting excessive amounts of time, effort, or money.
I hate seeing people hope for something that's most likely not going to happen, it just crushes them in the end even more if they hold this hope for a long time

I think it's better to look at it realistically, then if it does happen then there will be a ton of interest in this, whereas if you let people continually hope over time and nothing shows up people will just become agitated and lose interest

I think if you look at it as, "It probably won't happen, but let's hope that one day it does happen and prepare for it the best we can"

There's a difference between hope while knowing reality, and hope with ignorance which leads to people getting agitated when nothings happening and they start asking the same questions over and over bugging people.

I'm not intending to deter people from this project, just to inform people of the current status of this getting into Brawl.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
I hate seeing people hope for something that's most likely not going to happen, it just crushes them in the end even more if they hold this hope for a long time

I think it's better to look at it realistically, then if it does happen then there will be a ton of interest in this, whereas if you let people continually hope over time and nothing shows up people will just become agitated and lose interest

I think if you look at it as, "It probably won't happen, but let's hope that one day it does happen and prepare for it the best we can"

There's a difference between hope while knowing reality, and hope with ignorance which leads to people getting agitated when nothings happening and they start asking the same questions over and over bugging people.

I'm not intending to deter people from this project, just to inform people of the current status of this getting into Brawl.
I see your point but I can't help but think that people are going to look at messages like that and say "Oh, well forget it, no point in trying to help since it probably won't happen for a very long time." Whereas if more people did get involved and did help, it might actually happen sooner rather than later.

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
I see your point but I can't help but think that people are going to look at messages like that and say "Oh, well forget it, no point in trying to help since it probably won't happen for a very long time." Whereas if more people did get involved and did help, it might actually happen sooner rather than later.
That's not the intention I had, but I don't want to send out a false message either, it just seems wrong. Hopefully they'll read the rest of what I said for further clarification.

Yes it won't happen for a long time most likely, that also means there's no rush on the work, no pressure, so people are more free to gather thoughts on the project, coming up with a solid detailed movelist would be a nice start, I could help out with that at least and some animations once the project reaches that stage.

I'm also interested in this project very much, Geno's one of my favorite characters as I loved SMRPG.

As for the matter of the project, who's the big chief around here, or is there even one?

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
That's not the intention I had, but I don't want to send out a false message either, it just seems wrong. Hopefully they'll read the rest of what I said for further clarification.

Yes it won't happen for a long time most likely, that also means there's no rush on the work, no pressure, so people are more free to gather thoughts on the project, coming up with a solid detailed movelist would be a nice start, I could help out with that at least and some animations once the project reaches that stage.

I'm also interested in this project very much, Geno's one of my favorite characters as I loved SMRPG.

As for the matter of the project, who's the big chief around here, or is there even one?
Shadic, as far as I can tell.

I think anyone interested should get together in a chat room to discuss a moveset in detail. Maybe finalize some things.

Can anything happen on the animation front before the model is in the game? Also what do you think of the Model? I think the lines on the face are too rounded and too deep. They should fit more tightly together with a gap between cuts instead of a more rounded appearance. You know what I mean? Right now it sort of bends into the lines like a crease instead of a gap. It makes him look weirdly fat in some lightning.

tngodzilla379

Smash Rookie

Pffff, geez calm down :p. It's a game I understand, but where are you? A video game website. But if you want to believe that everyone besides you is going to hang themselves because of this, go ahead.

None the less I am amazed at the skills and talent of this hack! I actually play as Geno a lot! I look forward to seeing the New Geno!!!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
For knowing so much, you don't seem to have read much of the topic.

The most recent thing I've said regarding project plans is here.

None the less I am amazed at the skills and talent of this hack! I actually play as Geno a lot! I look forward to seeing the New Geno!!!
Glad to hear it! If you know anybody who can animate, or can do so yourself, that will speed up things considerably once this project really starts rolling.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet

Glad to hear it! If you know anybody who can animate, or can do so yourself, that will speed up things considerably once this project really starts rolling.
So what do you think of having a chat detailing his moveset, maybe finalize some things?

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Pffff, geez calm down :p. It's a game I understand, but where are you? A video game website. But if you want to believe that everyone besides you is going to hang themselves because of this, go ahead.

My thoughts were not that extreme :/

I've read it, just a while ago and I can't keep such details in my memory when staying up for 2 days straight studying and taking finals and summer midterms and such so excuse me

I think anyone interested should get together in a chat room to discuss a moveset in detail. Maybe finalize some things.

Can anything happen on the animation front before the model is in the game? Also what do you think of the Model? I think the lines on the face are too rounded and too deep. They should fit more tightly together with a gap between cuts instead of a more rounded appearance. You know what I mean? Right now it sort of bends into the lines like a crease instead of a gap. It makes him look weirdly fat in some lightning.
Good idea

Animations could probably be set up before the models in game, but there won't be any testing, I've made some animations that just turn out wrong in game but are fine in Brawlbox, especially with non-Brawl models

I think the model right now looks good, I'm not too nitpicky, slight improvements could be made but nothing severe

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
My thoughts were not that extreme :/

I've read it, just a while ago and I can't keep such details in my memory when staying up for 2 days straight studying and taking finals and summer midterms and such so excuse me

Good idea

Animations could probably be set up before the models in game, but there won't be any testing, I've made some animations that just turn out wrong in game but are fine in Brawlbox, especially with non-Brawl models

I think the model right now looks good, I'm not too nitpicky, slight improvements could be made but nothing severe
Would it be easier to animate it first and fix it later or easier to just animate later?

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
Would it be easier to animate it first and fix it later or easier to just animate later?
It would be best to get the model fixed and working 100% before animating, otherwise some changes could screw up some animations that are already made and then we'd have to start over, and fixing a broken animation is harder than starting a new one from my experience, so you can see where I'm going with this.

I'm not a pro animator by any means however, I just know how to get by with it really.

tngodzilla379

Smash Rookie
Sorry man I'm no good at kinda stuff :(, I'm a little good at hacking in general, but you are probably better. I could try and find a person for ya.

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
It would be best to get the model fixed and working 100% before animating, otherwise some changes could screw up some animations that are already made and then we'd have to start over, and fixing a broken animation is harder than starting a new one from my experience, so you can see where I'm going with this.

I'm not a pro animator by any means however, I just know how to get by with it really.
I figured as much.

Exor15

Smash Rookie
Ok so I don't know if u guys had this problem and I've been looking around and can't figure out why it's doing this.

When I put in the pac and psa for cosmic geno he still has his sword and shield in game and uses toon link's moves still.

Halp plz?:confused:

Dakaggo

Smash Cadet
Ok so I don't know if u guys had this problem and I've been looking around and can't figure out why it's doing this.

When I put in the pac and psa for cosmic geno he still has his sword and shield in game and uses toon link's moves still.

Halp plz?:confused:
Did you replace Toon Link's with it or did you just put it in there? You have to delete Toon Link's and rename Cosmic Geno's.

If that's not the problem I'm not sure.

Top Bottom