• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Mains Interview Thread! Interview: TooBusyToCare!

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
Weren't we going to interview Mr. Chair after Apex?

I kind of want to hear his views on our metagame compared to the European metagame.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Hehe, I have talked so much about the European metagame, but I guess it won't harm anyone having it on black and white. Yeah I'm up for it, anyhow. Ya'll just decide who gets the interview, we have all the time in the world.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Chair. After meeting all the sexy wario players at apex, give us 1 word that describes our sexyness.

What do you think is the most different about Europe's players and USA's players

Does wario hold his own in holand?

How often do you play smash?

Why that color wario?

Do you time your farts or is it a natural instinct by now?

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
Chair, my only question to you for the moment is:

What are some funny little jokes European players have similar to our "Weatherwatch Combo" and stuff like that?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Chair. After meeting all the sexy wario players at apex, give us 1 word that describes our sexyness.

What do you think is the most different about Europe's players and USA's players

Does wario hold his own in holand?

How often do you play smash?

Why that color wario?

Do you time your farts or is it a natural instinct by now?
Smile! :)

The differences between EU and USA players are pretty simple, you guys are more advanced and therefor lesser players are aware of the more usual habits and the better tactics to apply. In Europe, the average level is way lower than in the US. Even though top players are definitely able to compete with American top players, the differences in play style are in the US' favor. We have yet to adopt the campier, gayer and more effective playstyles which are so dominant out there in the states. I think while I was at Apex I noted it more than once: even though I was getting more and more campy while out there, the sudden shift of playstyle I felt like (and still feel like) I have to adopt more consistently is way more solid than being 'EU'-aggressive. However, knowing a MU in the US makes that specific easier in another degree than in the EU. In Europe, people play MUs much less 'by the book' and slightly more creative. When in the States, I could approach most players by looking at the MU rather than at who I'm playing. The differences in aggro probably are the reason for this, it makes for more consistent play in the US, but for more interesting play in Europe :)

(I didn't structure that just to show that it's an answer to 1 question, lol, please edit in eventual summary)

I'm the only Wario main in the Netherlands, and I have yet to place consistently at tournaments. I'll be bold enough to say I'm ranked about 7th here (nothing official), MUs generally don't **** me up so 5th-7th should be what I'm able to place (if I don't choke, I guess). The only people I'm actually sure of I won't win against in the Netherlands are Jumpman and Mr. R.

I like Smash a lot, and I'd play it rather often if it weren't for that fact that I usually have to travel in order to do so, and traveling is rather expensive here (more so than in the US). However, I'll be going to college next month, which in the Netherlands means free traveling during weekends, so that's exactly what I'll be going to do :). What I just said only applies to 1v1 friendlies or small smashfests though, I'm lucky enough to live in one of the more Smash-active regions of the Netherlands. Monthly Smashfests extravaganza and relatively many good players live here. Since tournies are once every month AT MOST, I attend to every one of them.

I play Green Classic, simply because no one does (also, because everyone here keeps saying it's the most disgusting one aside of brown, and they always ask me not to pick it, teehee).

Farting has been something I both love and hate, and am inconsistent with on regards of landing them. MU experience is extremely important in landing them, farting MK or Marth is just that much more difficult than farting Snake or DK. Aside of knowing how to place them, knowing how to use them reflexively is indeed quite the asset. I have the idiotic tendency to nair anything and everything, even if my opponent's lag is enough to just shielddrop fsmash/grab/lolfart, so I haven't mastered farting on reaction well enough. I do always notice what the better option had been right after I naired though, and I'm landing my farts more and more often on reaction.

What are some funny little jokes European players have similar to our "Weatherwatch Combo" and stuff like that?
I've never heard of the Weatherwatch combo m'afraid, but with the few players we have here some of them tend to get their own 'combos', which are generally very silly but strangely effective. Gregs (Falco main) has his own 'G'-combo (G meaning both Gregs and, of course, Gangster), which is simply jab canceling someone in the air right next to the ledge, hoping the player will buffer all sorts of ridiculous **** out of it (which most people will). Kaak has the 'kaak combo', of which I still don't know what it's supposed to be (something with offstage fair and nair... probably). I think we have more, can't really recall them at the moment though :)

Yes I'm bored and I give extremely elaborate answers, I'm at home right now and not really able to leave the house (fatigue/jetlag johns) and I'm bored, oh well.

Sky`

Smash Lord
After getting top 3 in norcal for the past few tournaments, I feel I should get an interview. I beat sean 3 times in a row now *****aaaa.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
I see no problem with that.

So, you're an official Wario main now, Sky?

Let's give Chair two more days.

Questions from me:

Favorite stage? Matchup? Move? Wario main? ;D

What did you think of the **** at Apex?

Will you be attending Pound 5? :O

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Questions from me:

Favorite stage? Matchup? Move? Wario main? ;D
SV, Diddy, nair, Malcolm because he has a sweet mustache.

What did you think of the **** at Apex?
I was disappointed by RAIN, I knew how good Brood was so he didn't surprise me all that much. Sweet peas was quite the contender. I slept in the same hotel room and I took the same OoC tour, they were really nice and often hilarious ('Go to sleep', 'OK', *instantly fall asleep*). I was kinda rooting for them all along :)

Will you be attending Pound 5? :O
No. If I come back to the states it'll be Apex3, though I'm not really sure of that either. Oh well, I have a full year to think about it.
10answers.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Lord Chair

Q. Chair. After meeting all the sexy wario players at apex, give us 1 word that describes our sexyness.

A. Smile! :)

Q. What do you think is the most different about Europe's players and USA's players

A. The differences between EU and USA players are pretty simple, you guys are more advanced and therefor lesser players are aware of the more usual habits and the better tactics to apply. In Europe, the average level is way lower than in the US. Even though top players are definitely able to compete with American top players, the differences in play style are in the US' favor. We have yet to adopt the campier, gayer and more effective playstyles which are so dominant out there in the states. I think while I was at Apex I noted it more than once: even though I was getting more and more campy while out there, the sudden shift of playstyle I felt like (and still feel like) I have to adopt more consistently is way more solid than being 'EU'-aggressive. However, knowing a MU in the US makes that specific easier in another degree than in the EU. In Europe, people play MUs much less 'by the book' and slightly more creative. When in the States, I could approach most players by looking at the MU rather than at who I'm playing. The differences in aggro probably are the reason for this, it makes for more consistent play in the US, but for more interesting play in Europe :)

Q. Does wario hold his own in holand?

A. I'm the only Wario main in the Netherlands, and I have yet to place consistently at tournaments. I'll be bold enough to say I'm ranked about 7th here (nothing official), MUs generally don't **** me up so 5th-7th should be what I'm able to place (if I don't choke, I guess). The only people I'm actually sure of I won't win against in the Netherlands are Jumpman and Mr. R.

Q. How often do you play smash?

A. I like Smash a lot, and I'd play it rather often if it weren't for that fact that I usually have to travel in order to do so, and traveling is rather expensive here (more so than in the US). However, I'll be going to college next month, which in the Netherlands means free traveling during weekends, so that's exactly what I'll be going to do . What I just said only applies to 1v1 friendlies or small smashfests though, I'm lucky enough to live in one of the more Smash-active regions of the Netherlands. Monthly Smashfests extravaganza and relatively many good players live here. Since tournies are once every month AT MOST, I attend to every one of them.

Q. Why that color wario?

A. I play Green Classic, simply because no one does (also, because everyone here keeps saying it's the most disgusting one aside of brown, and they always ask me not to pick it, teehee).

Q. Do you time your farts or is it a natural instinct by now?

A. Farting has been something I both love and hate, and am inconsistent with on regards of landing them. MU experience is extremely important in landing them, farting MK or Marth is just that much more difficult than farting Snake or DK. Aside of knowing how to place them, knowing how to use them reflexively is indeed quite the asset. I have the idiotic tendency to nair anything and everything, even if my opponent's lag is enough to just shielddrop fsmash/grab/lolfart, so I haven't mastered farting on reaction well enough. I do always notice what the better option had been right after I naired though, and I'm landing my farts more and more often on reaction.

Q. What are some funny little jokes European players have similar to our "Weatherwatch Combo" and stuff like that?

A. I've never heard of the Weatherwatch combo m'afraid, but with the few players we have here some of them tend to get their own 'combos', which are generally very silly but strangely effective. Gregs (Falco main) has his own 'G'-combo (G meaning both Gregs and, of course, Gangster), which is simply jab canceling someone in the air right next to the ledge, hoping the player will buffer all sorts of ridiculous **** out of it (which most people will). Kaak has the 'kaak combo', of which I still don't know what it's supposed to be (something with offstage fair and nair... probably). I think we have more, can't really recall them at the moment though

Q. Favorite stage? Matchup? Move? Wario main? ;D

A. SV, Diddy, nair, Malcolm because he has a sweet mustache.

Q. What did you think of the **** at Apex?

A. I was disappointed by RAIN, I knew how good Brood was so he didn't surprise me all that much. Sweet peas was quite the contender. I slept in the same hotel room and I took the same OoC tour, they were really nice and often hilarious ('Go to sleep', 'OK', *instantly fall asleep*). I was kinda rooting for them all along

Q. Will you be attending Pound 5? :O

A. No. If I come back to the states it'll be Apex3, though I'm not really sure of that either. Oh well, I have a full year to think about it.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Tedeth

Q. What's it like living in Austrailia?

A. Australia is awesome. We have amazing beaches and heaps unique qildlife and stuff. Also many attractive ladies to go on our attractive beaches.
We also have a pretty unique food culture here. I remember in America nobody had any idea what beef pies were, but over here beef pies are like a mad Australian staple food. Also we put beetroot (I believe you call them beets?) on our burgers which is amazing.
Gets pretty hot in summer and stuff.

Q. Why Wario

A. Wario kinda came to me. I used to main only Wolf for a long time, then one day I was playing random on wifi (a habit I have since kicked) and I got Wario and I was like "Wow this character is amazingly fun to play" so I started seconding him. Since then I've played more and more Wario and now I really only use Wolf to counter MUs I don't like with Wario or use him on noobs to do amazing things like blaster -> dair.

Q. Favorite Matchups,Stages, Moves...?

A. My favorite MUs are probably Snake and Marth. Probably because I've played them so much. Ironically my Wario is seeen as a bit of a Marth killer over here somehow. lol.
My favorite stages. Hmmmm. Always a fan of SV and BF. FD for MK. I also really like Frigate against alot of characters. Oh and pictochat rocks my world esp in doubles.
As for my favorite moves, I find myself using ftilt alot more than most of the Warios I see. I often chuck it out when my opponent in trying to get off the edge and I can hit with it surprisingly often. Good on Marth and MK in that situation. Also a massive fan of nair and dair but who isn't.

Q. tedeth do you plan on coming to America for tournies?

A. I went to Genesis and Evo last year. I played really badly overall. Since then I have improved out of sight though. I think alot of this was because I went to America and saw what play of that level is like. Also 2 solid weeks of being taught by Havok is helpfull lol.

Q. What are you ranked in Australia #1? Or does Shaya have that title ?

A. In Australia there is no clear cut #1 in Australia. At the moment I consider it to be between 3 people. Myself, Tibs (Diddy) and Corpsecreate (Toon Link). Tibs is the best player down in Melbourne who I have played a few times this year and we go basically even depending on how we're playing on the day. Corpsecreate won our national championship last year but is considered the only top player on the west coast so nobody over here has had much exposure to him. That being said, when he won our championship, he didn't get to play me OR Shaya and alot of people think he would have lost to both of us seeing as the people he beat have never played against a TL before.
Shaya is very close to this 3 though and he could take ony of us out at any given tourney.

Q. How has Fencing helped you in Smash?

A. Fencing has helped my game alot. It's a sport that requires a similar mindset to smash and to Wario in particular. It's about feinting and perfect spacing. Waiting for your opportunity to get that hit then moving away. As a shorter fencing I can use alot of my distance based fencing theories with Wario to do with safe zones and zones hta are advantageous to me etc.

Q. So Tedeth, what do you think the over all skill level is in Australia, i mean, i know of you and shaya, but not really anyone else. Who else you guys have?

A. The overall skill level in Australia is not as good as the overall skill level in America purey because of 1 thing. Population. As any good player will agree. Sone people have it and some people don't. You can train yourself to improve but without the natural talent for the game you're always going to struggle to beat the top players. In Australia we have a much smaller population which leads to a much smaller amount of good players. This means our good players have fewer other good players to practice with and thus don't improve as much as say, good players in the American scene would.
That being said, we are improving constantly. As this stage I'd say our top players would surprise alot of America's good players for sure.

We have a good amount of players down here that could give me a run for my money. Some of the one that I havn't mentioned that spring to mind are ZXV (Peach (I hate peach)), Luke Atyeo (Snake), Metoer Master (Ness/Sonic (God of low tier)), Attila (Snake), Amaterasu (MK) and many others.

Q. Tedeth, what is your playstyle? What do you do the most? What is your favorite Move, Stage, and Match-up?

A. I'd describe my playstyle as "patient". I wouldn't go as far as to say I try to time matches out. But if there's no need for me to approach I certainly won't be approaching. Of course if I need to time out a match I'm happy to do so.
My real "style" as such though uses alot of weaving in and out of range with airdodges and quick aerials untill I can see an opening where I can get a quick combo off and retreat again. I'd say I play a pretty standard style for a Wario, but maybe more patient than most.
Already talked about moves, stages, MUs.

Q. What do you think of the top American Warios and how do they compare to you in your opinion?

A. As for the top American Warios question, I'm a pretty humble guy and don't like to compare myself to others too much, but I'd consider myself to be a high level Wario overall.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
JNig:

How's it feel to be a power top?

Will your bro EVER learn what power tops and power bottoms are?

How amazing is Bowser on a scale of 1-10?

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
JNig:

How's it feel to be a power top?

Will your bro EVER learn what power tops and power bottoms are?

How amazing is Bowser on a scale of 1-10?
Feels good, man. In fact, it feels GREAT.

I might let him know if things get too out of hand, but for now, he will never know.

Amazing? I'd say 7, since Giga Bowser is THE 10. But he is awesome, no doubt.

JNig why is your name JNig?
Well, ya see, my first name is Justin, and back when I was a freshman in high school, I was on the wrestling team. One of the captains said that I act really black. Not "wigger" black, but super chill black. Other people have told me this as I went through high school, which is cool I guess.

Anyways, the captain thought I should have a nickname. J=Justin, N=you know.

Jnig; how frustrating is lee martin's lucario?
Honestly, I haven't played Lee's Lucario in a very long time. He always goes MK on me. I guess when I get to the point I can beat his MK, he'll use Lucario. When I play him, I always expect the unexpected, and never get caught up in his tricks. I'm sure his Lucario would be a fun matchup.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Because my router sucks/I suck at wifi.
play moar wifi.

Outside of TX what states have you been to for smash? Favorite MU? least favorite? Do you feel pressure of having to place well as you continue to do well? Whats your playstyle? Any Wario influenced you? Why Wario? Any advice for new warios or people interested in learning him?

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
play moar wifi.

Outside of TX what states have you been to for smash? Favorite MU? least favorite? Do you feel pressure of having to place well as you continue to do well? Whats your playstyle? Any Wario influenced you? Why Wario? Any advice for new warios or people interested in learning him?
I absolutely cannot handle wifi anymore. At least not with Wario.

I've been to Florida once for a tourney. Other than that, just TX for OoS.

Fav matchups: Wario vs. Diddy (bananas are really fun), and Wario vs. Toon Link (mostly since I play with Hyro so much)

Least fav matchups: Wario vs. DDD. The fact that I actually have to care, no matter who the DDD player is, is what's really annoying. And Wario vs. Ike. Ike can be such a pain.

When I started to get really good placements, I wasn't too worried about pressure. I've looked past that aspect, which I think is a crucial step at getting good. You shouldn't worry about how people think how good you are, nor should you worry about how good your opponent is. That's how I've gotten closer and closer to beating people like Lee. Also, when it gets to the point to where it's expected of you to do well, the pressure from others reduces, while the pressure on yourself to be consistent rises. I would say I am usually aware of pressure, but I have learned how to stop it from affecting me.

I guess my playstyle is consistently poking at you. I like watching my opponent and learning their patterns and such. Definitely more aggro than defensive, since I'd rather keep pressuring my opponent than missing punishing opportunities so I can camp. Not that I don't like to camp. I've finally been able to use killer wafts at will, now I'm focusing on how to play when my opponent is unpredictable/unorthodox, as well as add a little tire mixup to my game (learning to instant-throw or whatever is so much fun!). Oh! and the airwalk-->upair is REALLY underrated; it's a really good mindgame, since no one does it.

Wario is a very special character. You must learn to annoy your opponent (pokes, wafts, gimps, tires), without getting annoyed by every little thing (outprioritzed, getting outcamped, CG's/grab releases). You have to be multi-dimensional in order to be truly successful. And if you can't camp, DON'T play this character, lol.

EDIT: Woops, skipped "Why Wario?"

At first, I started playing Shiek/Ike, but I had no real skills or exp for the competitive scene. I, like many people, was "the best in my neighborhood," which consisted of 10 or so bros. My older brother started to get competitive a few months before me, so when he started to get better than me, I joined in. I got ***** a lot, then switched to Pikachu since I loved Quick Attack Cancelling. I mained Pika for a few months, and started to improve. The day before one tourney, I was housing Sars Pirate and Hyro, and they both suggested I should main Wario since I play so evasive. I've been solo Wario ever since. I finally got a grasp of how the game should be played and how I should correct my mistakes, something I hadn't done with any other character. I can safely say I owe most of my success to Wario.

femmetriforce

Smash Apprentice
1. What do you think about grab release, player here make fun of me because of that, players ther make jokes about that?

2. Seriously what is your strategy to avoid grab release at maximum? camping? planking :p? tires?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
**** JNig your name has such a cool meaning haha! It's cool how you are a bit more aggro, but not afraid to camp. I'm trying to pull that style off too haha. Really good idea with the airwalk uair, totally forgot about that since I saw a vid for it like a year ago!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Would anyone like to take this over? Snack's requested someone else run this thread.

Top Bottom