• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
May I ask something, what does the staleness of ftilt have to do with anything?
Nado isn't affected by damage, only by the priority of the, it has to be disjointed enough to hit MK inside, but no the nado, which ftilt does if MK incorrectly spaces his tornado.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Well I also heard that Utilt can beat out Nado when it's fresh.

But since the knockback is weaker, the hitboxes are affected differently due to less protection on his hand. Weaker means less damaging hitboxes, and less ability to fight off Nado.

When I play my Peach against an MK, Stitchfaces beat Nado. Normal turnips don't.

Stitchface obviously does more damage than normal turnips do, so I would think that damage is completely revelant to how Nado is affected.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Damage has only something to do with a grounded nado, which is beaten by a move that does more than 10% damage. But due to a faulty mechanic, an aerial nado isn't affected by this. The damage doesn't have anything to do with it.

A reverse util beats nado because it hits from above. There is no hitbox above nado.
EVERY single dair in the game can beat nado for that reason.

And upwards tilted ftilt is fast enough to hit MK before it hits the nado, making it beat it if the nado isn't space well enough.

Are you sure stichfaces don't have a special priority or property? I would believe so as they are special.
And turnips beat nado from above too.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Damage has only something to do with a grounded nado, which is beaten by a move that does more than 10% damage. But due to a faulty mechanic, an aerial nado isn't affected by this. The damage doesn't have anything to do with it.

A reverse util beats nado because it hits from above. There is no hitbox above nado.
EVERY single dair in the game can beat nado for that reason.

And upwards tilted ftilt is fast enough to hit MK before it hits the nado, making it beat it if the nado isn't space well enough.

Are you sure stichfaces don't have a special priority or property? I would believe so as they are special.
And turnips beat nado from above too.
-lzr- you're wrong. damage has everything to do with it.

the aerial tornado has ground priority and therefore clashes with everything that deals within 10% of its 1-2% damage output. the only difference is a bug which makes tornado always win if it clashes. if a move does over 10% AND hits MK in the tornado then the tornado will be beaten

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But that only applies to grounded nado. There is no such thing as aerial priority.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
But that only applies to grounded nado. There is no such thing as aerial priority.
it applies to aerial tornado. seriously, accept it. you're wrong.

I can't find the frame data for it atm. but trust me

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The framedata doesn't matter. But I trust you since you are among the top DK players. Don't worry. I gotta count his ftilts then next time I play Jebu.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
The way priority works on special moves differs from move to move. Tornado uses ground priority in the air and on the ground. The thing about aerial tornado's "priority" is that it doesn't stop when you clank with it, just keeps on going. If you hit MK, it stops the move. When you clank a grounded tornado, it works correctly and stops.

Tbh, tornado would be pretty horrible if you could clank it and stop it in mid-air.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
It does?! i ddnt kno that I have to try for myself
Yeah, i think it always does. Not to sure so dont quote me. But i can test and find out.

have fun trying to do that. frame 19 ground pound and their tornado has to be grounded.
I think i was the one to find this out actually (well at least the first to post about it).
It was in a tourney match actaully. We were on pictochat and the flames popped up. I was in between the flames while MK was on the right, i walked up and started to ground pound camp beside the flame, the MK tried to nado in, but ground pound won.

So it does beat it, but honestly it is soooooo situational, its best not to try it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It beats bad MK who uses grounded nado, but DK absolutely DESTROYS bad MK players.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
How do I play against Diddy? What should I do with his Bananas? And also, how do I approach this prick? If I approach/space Bairs against him he just waits for my landing and glide tosses those nanners .__.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Simple tip against Diddy: When he has 2 nanners, don't approach or you will lose always. Wait for him to lose control of the stage before you even try. That's why the MU always takes so long.

Luigi player

Smash Master
You have to abuse your SA against diddy (grounded upB (needs good timing, learn it), SA punch).
Maybe take a banana from him, you can still do grounded upB, downB, neutral B, sideB... and he has one banana less. Or just throw it up/away somewhere, mix it up/try things out etc. Don't let him pull his bananas.

It's still mad difficult though. You basically just need to build up some damage while surviving till 200+ %.
Then somehow get the KO. :\ You need to abuse DKs longlivety and Diddys KO "problems".

And yeah jumping around is good too so you can't get comboed from bananas to hell and back, but don't face him so he's treatened by bairs or else he can just jump and fair you all day.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Anyone wanna give me some tips Vs. projectiles as Donkey Kong? I feel like I have nothing to do, I cancel out 70% of the incoming ones with f-tilt and d-tilt, but that means 30% gets by, and once I get close, I'm shooed away.

Two characters in particular I have a problem with are Falcos and Marios.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Anyone wanna give me some tips Vs. projectiles as Donkey Kong? I feel like I have nothing to do, I cancel out 70% of the incoming ones with f-tilt and d-tilt, but that means 30% gets by, and once I get close, I'm shooed away.

Two characters in particular I have a problem with are Falcos and Marios.
Falco is SOO hard to deal with when you're using Donkey Kong. It's ridiculously hard. I've never played a Mario, so I wouldn't know. Pshielding is the best way to approach projectile characters, due to Ftilt not being fast enough to fight off all projectiles.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
It depends on the character really. for falco, ps'ing is your best bet. Learn2powershield his second lazer, its not that hard, just takes muscle memory to do it consistently.

Hmm....against pit you can f-tilt his arrows, against tink you can f-tilt his arrow and bow but not his bomb.

Something cool i learned about pikachu, if he is short hopping his jolts what you can do is run up and upb his jolt, your upb will get canceled and you can buffer a grab while in your up-b since it gets canceled. But i do this a decent amount, i throw out upb against attacks that i know will cancel the ub and buffer something out of it. It works well since the other player will not know that it will cancel out the up-b so they have to react to it, while you are buffering. Buffer ftw.

against mario, since most marios short hop fireball, just bair him, it will go through his fireball and hit him if spaced right.

against wolf, you can block his lazer on reaction if he is not in your face (most likely will not happen)

for snake, if he is taking out grenades just run up and down b him. also his up smash can be canceled out with nair. also you can simply di his upsmash, just hold towrards him, if he is dacusing across the towards you, just hold the stick towards you and the mortar will miss you. same thing for wolfs upsmash, just hold to the side, the first hit will knock you out the attack. (good for when recovering after an upb brake)

samus...just powershield everything

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Um.....if f-tilt can beat out fireball than do that (not sure if it does)

or you could do grounded upb to beat fireball and get inside

fyi just be sure not to do grounded up b near the ledge or cape will **** (and always save jump verse mario when recovering)

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Yeah, all of DK's tilts clash with fireballs, not sure about his second jab, but the first one does. And the only reason I'm hesitant about using Up b is because that only clashes, and there's a decent amount of lag when they do clash, and when it does happen, I don't know what to buffer out because Mario's usually a good ways away, not sure if Mario's cooldown is longer, I'll have to do some testing. I'll look at options I have after they clash the next time we play.

Nonetheless, thanks for all the advice.

FlyingFrenchman

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys do from the edge against marth once you break 100% and get the crappy edge recoveries?

Roll, attack and standard getup are so incredibly slow, and they usually just end up in free hits for me, so I usually just try to mix it up with jump recoveries. Hitting back and then hopping up onto the edge and shielding in particular seems like one of the safer options, but it feels like all too often I just get hit and pushed back onto the edge. High jump recoveries usually never feel safe, and frequently end in juggles. Are there other good options here that I'm just failing to realize?

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
if the stage has a ledge you can ledge hop and up b to it

ledge drop->jump-> air dodge

ledge drop -> jump -> up air

ledge drop -> jump -> giant punch (one of the best imo)

ledge drop -> upb (hold down and you wont grab the ledge and you can rise above the ledge while spinning)

FlyingFrenchman

Smash Apprentice
if the stage has a ledge you can ledge hop and up b to it

ledge drop->jump-> air dodge

ledge drop -> jump -> up air

ledge drop -> jump -> giant punch (one of the best imo)

ledge drop -> upb (hold down and you wont grab the ledge and you can rise above the ledge while spinning)
Always love up-b shenanigans, this problem is more addressed at stages that aren't YI, pictochat, or lylat.

Usually my problem is that they stand too far back for any of the attack recoveries to work (one friend who guards particularly well stands so the standard getup is a free tipper). I'll try to bait them closer by planking to try to land an attack, but this only really works well if I'm in the lead.

I guess I probably just need to work on mixing up more.

Most used move aside from bair? Probably ftilt (angled down) or dtilt. There is nothing more satisfying than landing a trip and then punishing it with a side-b tech chase.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
What do you guys do from the edge against marth once you break 100% and get the crappy edge recoveries?
I think you mentioned it, but the standard ledge jump above 100% is still very usable. Go to a platform right away if they're not being stupid, and don't be afraid to go back to the ledge if things don't look good. If you do the ledge jump and they get too in your face, you can just do an aerial up-b(very quick) to smack them and then fly away to the other side of the stage/back to ledge/platform/mid-stage/whatever works. If you're willing to burn a giant punch, full charged punch out of a ledge drop is a very safe way of getting back.

Standard get-up is pretty safe, you need to buffer a shield out of it. It usually just ends in your shield getting hit and you falling back on the ledge but it's alright. Don't do get-up attack unless they're in the air near the ledge or like charging a smash too close. The only reason to do a get-up roll is if they're being stupid or if you want to get hit. Getting hit isn't that bad of an idea, since you'll almost definitely survive (this is assuming they're hitting you the long way down the stage), and it'll be hard for them to catch up to you after they hit you.

Oh and what CG said. Up-b ledge stall, and then doing the hold-down while up-bing trick can catch some people off guard. Just mix it up.

but i have a question, what move do you think you guys use as DK the most? (answer can not be bair)
I think u-tilt tbh. It's soooo good. Or maybe jabs.

edit: I just realized how much I use the qualifying statement "if they're not being stupid." Maybe that should just be assumed from now on lol.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Haha, DK's side-b in air has a lot more range than normal. Also it looks like you were beginning a dash-attack, so you probably extended your hurtbox out into it. Still pretty dang big, must've been at like the tip of it's range.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Well, I forgot according to who, but Ftilt works, and so does jab due to the slight invincibility frames given from the PSC.

Btw, I've always read your name as EvilFlyingFrenchman.

Don't ask why, I just have.. lmao

Top Bottom