• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Version 2 Release

Rainierman

Smash Rookie
Erh, a petition, which might or not be among the project's goals, but, any chance that the missing ledge in the lower part of Hyrule Temple gets added back? You know, the one that Melee had but Brawl doesn't. I don't know what that would imply but it's certainly awkward to play down there because of its absence. Not sure if it was removed for a reason in the first place, but it would be nice to have it just like it was in Melee (being a Melee stage and all that).

Just saying, but if there's nothing wrong with adding it... please? :)

Smasher7

Smash Rookie
For those wanting levels with extra ledges, you should check out the Brawl Vault. I downloaded Summit & Port Town Aero Dive with extra ledges. I'm not using a modded Wii and I haven't run into any problems yet. There's also a Hyrule Temple with that added ledge.

I'll write a mini guide later. It's not hard, it's just putting the levels (with the proper name) in the right folder.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway

I'm pretty sure most of us know how to do so.

It's not a matter of adding it to our personal hacksets, it's a matter of it being part of the official build.

Hell, I could just load up brawlbox and add the ledges in myself. It'd take me a few seconds. Hell, I could make ledges in midair that make no sense.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Alright, just finished uploading the first (and hopefully only?) release candidate for BBrawl 3.

BBrawl 3 RC1 Download Link
(Smashstack->Gecko load method is included in this particular upload, you can use the files with whatever method you like.)

If you were expecting crazy or flashy changes, in general you won't find that here. The goal of this project has never been change for the sake of change, so things that aren't broken aren't getting fixed. As it turns out, it seems we got a lot of things right and there hasn't been much to fix.

That said, there are plenty of loose ends to tweak; small things that got overlooked, or perhaps something we just plain got wrong. And then there's Ice Climbers.

It's no secret that in previous releases we sort of swept ICs under the rug; heck, we took the opposite approach to actually solving them by just making them exploiting them more difficult and calling it a day from there. I think this was probably the right call at the time, since ICs are a huge time sink and we had over 25+ other characters needing serious attention... However, with most things in a stable state, we can finally properly tackle Brawl's biggest design problem.

I'll list the changes along with commentary in their case. Note that all previous BBrawl changes have been reverted; ICs have been completely remade from a standard Brawl state.

:popo:
Popo dash attack base knockback and shield damage slightly increased
Nana dash attack damage and shield damage increased, knockback substantially decreased, now hits opponent above and behind Nana.
A theme that will be repeated here is Popo havign a stronger attack that "overwrites" Nana's when they hit together, and Nana having knockback is sets Popo up. the real utility of dash attack will be apparent in a second.

Popo f-tilt knockback extremely weaker.
Nana can no longer f-tilt, dash attacks instead.
This is the big ICs change: auto-desyncs on tilts. It's hard to describe how natural and perfect it feels, I need to get some clear videos up. In this case, the f-tilt dash attack combo is very safe for Popo and very risky for Nana. It's a combo in most cases, and the Nana dash attack normally links to Popo u-smash pretty easily.

Popo u-tilt hits (all) knockback converted to all base.
Nana can no longer u-tilt, jumps instead.
...so Popo u-tilt true combos into any Nana aerial, including sweetspot fair if you can follow their SDI. You can even get a Nana footstool for Popo smashes or a grab! Additionally, a quick u-tilt is the quickest and easiest of the de-syncs; you can do desynced Ice Blocks, Squalls, or Blizzard on command with no technical difficult.

Popo d-tilt hits somewhat downward, almost zero growth knockback, and has no innate trip chance.
Nana can no longer d-tilt, dash grabs instead.
This is a combo in most cases, including on shields. Like f-tilt/dash attack, it's a very safe situation for Popo but puts Nana in harm's way. The ability to grab with only one Climber on command is really powerful and satisfying.

Popo smashes all moderately stronger in knockback.

Popo nair has increased knockback growth, lower trajectory.
Nana nair has increased damage, almost all knockback converted to base, and lower trajectory.
Popo nair is a respectable kill move, while Nana's reliably creates space. Remember that combined, you get the best of both worlds.

Popo fair damage increased to 13% from 12%
Nana fair sweetspot knockback mostly converted to base, SDI ratio increased from 1.0x to 2.0x
Nana fair needed to consistently knockdown and have some possibility or escape, given how accessible Nana fair combos are now.

Popo bair damage increased to 12% from 11%, knockback somewhat converted to more base.
Nana bair damage increased to 9% from 8%, knockback significantly reduced and converted to base, trajectory now hits somewhat downward.
The purpose of Nana's altered bair is to push opponents back on the ground on the other side of Popo out of u-tilt, giving Popo the option of f-smashing the enemy behind him.

Popo uair sweetspot damage increased to 11% from 10%

Popo and Nana dair knockback increased, now autocancles/interrupts on frame 51 from 57/63.
Popo dair falls significantly faster, especially on startup; hits straight up.
Nana dair falls slightly slower; hits horizontally.
Note that the timing change isn't actually different in practice spatially, it merely accounts for Popo's newer falling speed. The new dair is much more useful due to it's speed and the rewarding knockback angles. (Popo's generally combos into Nana's more useful hit.) Often an aerial attacker that intercepts Popo will now be hit by Nana.

Popo b-throw base knockback slightly lowered, trajectory significantly lowered.
Popo f-throw trajectory lowered.
Popo u-throw damage increased to 11% from 6%, some knockback converted to growth.
Popo d-throw knockback converted to base; consistent knockdown.
This means that Popo always sends his opponent into tumble, but never gains much knockback past that. This means that Popo himself has no guaranteed solo chaingrabs, but does enjoy a somewhat favorable solo followup position at all %s. (I like sneaking in nairs.) It also means that regrabbing with Nana has never been easier. It's also extremely easy to sweetspot fair with Nana; since it's no logner growth based, both can be done on anyone at any % with the same ease.

Nana can no longer throw in directions other than up.
Nana u-throw damage increased to 9% from 6%, knockback growth significantly reduced.
Yep, this is the caveat. No Nana->Popo chaingrabs. It's not all bad though; Nana's upgraded u-throw reliably sets up Popo to do whatever aerial he wants. That's 23% base with no pummels out of just a Nana grab, not counting anything that led into it; still more guaranteed damage out of grab than any other character in the game.

Popo and Nana pummel damage increased to 2% from 1%, 50% longer total animation duration.
This just prevents pummel-regrab-on-break abuse.

Icicles now have a higher trajectory. (lift opponents off the ground.)
This prevents ice block lock combos, which would otherwise be far too easy given their more robust moveset options It gives ICs a slightly higher frame advantage on hit for grounded opponents, and makes Ice blocks slightly less dominating against slow diagonal recoveries like Ganondorf.

...and that's it. In some sense, the character is completely different (easily the most changed character in BBrawl now), but in another ICs have the same core they always did. You are still going to be spacing with smashes and blizzard, and trying to get those grabs at all cost. The world no longer ends if ICs land a grab, but they now have a ton more options to make that and other new nasty things happen.

The bottom line here is accessibility; despite ICs now being a little bit deeper and nuanced, they are significantly more playable for non-ICs mains. ICs mains have a way more flexible character with better access to their mastered tools (especially desync techs), and the rest of us no longer have to curse when we get them on random.

Seriously, give them a whirl, personally I'm really shocked we were able to find a solution as successful as this. The tilts changes sound so absurd on paper, but in play it just flows and... works, with no questions.

:mario2:
Dair knockback has been tweaked so that it cannot be interrupted. This mainly applies to Marth and Jigglypuff.

:luigi2:
No changes.

:peach:
No changes.

:bowser2:
Super armor on the activation frames of down-b. (Ground and aerial.)
This is primarily intended as to get Bowser a much needed counter to juggles, a key factor that has continued to hold him down.

:dk2:
No changes.

:diddy:
Dash attack second hit knockback has been tweaked so that it cannot be interrupted. This mainly applies to Marth and Jigglypuff.

:yoshi2:
No changes.

:wario:
Pummel now has the correct sound effect to match coin element.

:link2:
Up-b tether miss bug fixed. (Now correctly goes into specialFall)
Jab2 converted to all base. (Should link more consistently.)

:zelda:
No changes.

:sheik:

:ganondorf:
No changes.

:toonlink:

:samus2:
Jab1 converted to all base. (Should link consistently.)

:zerosuitsamus:
No changes.

:pit:
Jab1 converted to all base. (Should link more consistently.)

:rob:
No changes.

:kirby2:
Nair base knockback increased, autocancels/interrupts on frame 41/56 from 55/72.
Invincible during the duration of Copy's post-swallow state.
Can ledge-grab (forward) after first aerial Hammer Swing.
[See Falcon Punch and Eruption changes.]
Bite sound effect now matches coin element.
Chef projectiles can no longer be absorbed. (Now matches G&W's Chef.)

:metaknight:
No changes.

:dedede:
No changes.

:olimar:
Pikmin pluck speed normalized on all terrain.

:fox:
No changes.

:falco:
No changes.

:wolf:
Jab1 and jab2 converted to all base. (Should link more consistently.)

:falcon:
utilt does 14% damage up from 13%, trajectory now 30 up from 20.
Falcon Punch armor reduced to 19% from 25%. (all)
Raptop Boost shield damage increased from 2 to 3 (aerial and ground, all hitboxes)

:pikachu2:
No changes.

:pt:
:squirtle:
No changes.

:ivysaur:
No changes.

:charizard:

:lucario:
No changes.

:jigglypuff:
Dash attack angle increased to 25 from 15.
F-smash sweetspot base damage increased to 17% from 16%.
bair changed to have significantly higher base knockback, less growth
Rest damage increased to 21% from 15%, base knockback significantly lowered
Rest now heals Jigglypuff for 10% on natural wakeup.
Jigglypuff will now Fake Rest if the attack button is held down when using Rest.
Fake Rest does 1% and does not heal, but can be interrupted after frame 39. (bubbles)
Sing hitboxes slightly extended in duration to better match graphics. (same size)
Jigglypuff got a lot of changes, mostly due to the decision to ease up on her serious dash attack buffs. We believe these more evenly spread directions should do a better job of addressing her matchups than a singular focus on dash attack.

Bair's changes are calibrated to primarily combo low-weight, medium fall speed targets like Marth and G&W. F-smash's minor buff also threatens low-weight target with a potential kill out of jab locks. Rest was changed primarily in response to survey data indicating a skewed public opinion undervaluing its damage, which was causing problematic interaction with the new Eruption.Falcon Punch armor values.

Finally, Fake Rest (and Rest healing) was added to make Rest a slightly more dynamic option, particular in matcups without projectiles. The threat of Fake Rest causes Rest to be punished slightly less harshly, as Jigglypuff can roll and grab in response to most charged smashes. Remember that although Fake Rest only does 1%, the fact that it still has a hitbox means the opponent cannot distinguish the hits on powershield. (The typical case out of dair -> rest) Additionally, Fake Rest has identical invincibility frames, although the cooldown timing is frankly too poor to seriously use as any sort of dodge.

:marth:
No changes.

:ike:
Eruption duration super armor downgraded to 19% heavy armor.

:ness2:

:lucas:
U-smash pre-hit SDI multiplier changed from 1.0x to 0.0x.
D-smash base damage changed from 17/14/11 to 17/15/13, tiny base increase on later hits.
Grabbox duration (all) extended to 4 frames from 1 frame.
PKT2 should now carry opponents significantly better and more consistently.

:gw:
No changes.

:snake:
No changes.

:sonic:
No changes.

Additionally, we are pleased to announce multiple stage changes, primarily related to hitboxes! Knockback has been significantly reduced on PTAD cars, Norfair lava pillars, Pictochat arrows, cart, and bombs, Flat Zone 2 lion tamers, and the Pirate Ship catapult. Damage has been reduced to 10% from 20% on reen Green blocks, and to 10/15% from 20/35% on Pirate Ship bombs.

We hope you guys can test these files out and let us know what you think about BBrawl3; this includes Ice Climbers, other characters that changed, characters that didn't change, and stages. We look forward to hearing from you!

Note: It was our intention to include animation fixes that would make Ganon/Bowser suicide resolution consistent. I could not generate a reasonable bone distance that yielded such, so this was not included in this file release. We will continue investigating to see if a successful set of values can be found. (Perhaps yes for Ganon, no for Bowser seems likely?)

Let us know if you have any questions.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
WTF?! Already?!

Get ***** world.

I have to get on this asap...which will be after my midterms. But holy ****, I love the changelist you got here.

Unless you just forgot to mention it, I still highly recommend fixing Ganon's D-smash hit 2. The simple solution to fixing it is to reverse the angle of knockback (it's currently 130 iirc, so it should be set to 50 degrees) and to switch the angle flip parameter to a value of 4 I believe. This will guarantee that the opponent is consistently sent in the direction that Ganondorf is not facing on both hit and block (currently the move always sends the opponent in the direction Ganon is facing on hit and block).

Also for the sake of helping Ganon against the Ice Climbers, his F-throw should be changed to have 25 kbg and 85 bkb on the 5% special offensive collision. One IC gets thrown forward. The other IC gets put above Ganon to be juggled. The ICs by design are one of Ganon's hardest matchups, and the best part of this buff is that it only comes into play against the ICs or in doubles. In vBrawl and I would assume currently, Ganon's F-throw is unsafe on hit against the ICs at low percents.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I should point out that all ICs match-ups are completely different now. Ganon should do much better since he can actually survive being grabbed. We actually speculate that Bowser, another traditional "doesn't beat ICs" character, probably is at a little bit of an advantage against them now.

Thinkaman forgot to mention that Sheik's chain glitch is fixed. Her chain used in that circumstance now hits just like grounded chain, and there is no possibility for a lock-up.

Sing hitboxes are now actually massively extended to match graphics; spotdodging Sing isn't really feasible now (the million other ways to counter Sing still work). Sing also hits two frames earlier with the first hit which matches the graphic effects (granted, that's still frame 27). Sing is still a bad move and will always be a bad move, but it is at least a bad move that makes sense now!

Sorry about the announcement on Ganon and Bowser being a false alarm. That was my fault in letting the public know about something incomplete that didn't work out. Dealing with trying to make this work was the cause for the lengthy delay; every other file, and in fact the set you are getting now, has been ready for at least a week.

I'll just admit to something we really wanted to do but couldn't. We wanted to explore giving Lucas a damaging hitbox on his tether (since the feedback we got from you guys on Lucas was consistently wanting him to be more powerful; we really do listen), but we couldn't get implementation to a satisfactory state. On the other tether attacks (Link, Toon Link, Samus), the tether hitbox tracks with the head of the tether via what I presume to be magic. The same magic doesn't work on Lucas, and setting up his hitbox the same way results in the hitbox's position being relative to Lucas, not to his tether. Due to the dynamic movement of the tether, this is frankly unacceptable for our level of polish (like I can put the hitboxes along where the tether usually is as other projects have done, but when characters are moving, it doesn't line up exactly right). The only way to make it work actually right would be putting the hitbox in the article logic itself. Unfortunately, the sub-actions for Lucas's tether attack have empty logic so PSA can't insert code into them (because you can only reference sub-actions for articles via looking for the specific address). OpenSA2 can look at those sub-actions but can't edit. Logically one would think Tabuu would be the solution, but after a good deal of effort that culminated in us compiling the most recent build of Tabuu ourselves, we discovered that it can't actually add lines at all and can only edit lines that already exist... which makes it not a solution to our particular needs. Given the development realities, we just decided to polish up a few things about Lucas that would pass as slight improvements, go with our personal inclinations that Lucas as already within range of good enough (though I don't think the power level of a tether attack would have necessarily pushed him out of it), and overall be happy. The silver lining is that, even if a tether attack would address a lot of Lucas's inherent issues well, tether attacks are really obnoxious attacks on all three characters that currently have them so the game is perhaps slightly more fun in the version where Lucas has to make do with other approach techniques instead.

Thinkaman really took point on a lot of this stuff; BBrawl2 was honestly a bit more me than him, but this revision is more him than me (overall we both still are heavily involved in everything and do discuss every last change with each other and both agree before proceeding; don't get any wrong ideas). Like with Ice Climbers, most of the (new) stuff was Thinkaman's idea (actually all of it except dair), but my role was mostly in polishing and helping refine certain ideas. Dtilt went through a whole lot of revision for being the tilt that will still probably be the least used one, but if you had seen some of the earlier ideas for dtilt, you'd be happy for it.

My biggest contribution here was the stages, and some of you may know me as being a big stage guy in general. I'd really, really like feedback on the newly changed stages, particularly Flat Zone 2 and Port Town Aero Dive but really all of them. Thinkaman didn't mention it, but I think this is the first public version with improved behavior on Green Greens and Luigi's Mansion removing the slow down code in lieu of .pac based changes that accomplish similar things but are better for the animation. I know I mentioned it in an earlier post. Be sure to check those out too.

Another way I can reveal our ways of working together and point out one of my big ideas was with Bowser. Thinkaman was the one who pushed hard to improve Bowser (if it were me alone, Bowser would be the same), but I was the annoying guy who kept shooting down his ideas for how. This Bowser Bomb change was ultimately my idea to address the issues he was highlighting, and in the end, we were both pretty happy with how things worked out. I would, however, definitely like to hear what you guys are able to get out of it. I know I posted the frame timings for it in an earlier post if that helps anyone; experimentally it's not particularly easy to take advantage of (nowhere near as big of a window as something like Eruption in BBrawl) but potentially a great asset if you are clever.

---

About some of the recent discussion...

That ledge on Onett was really awkward in Melee. The developers were wise to remove it in Brawl. There's only one place I can think of a ledge in Temple that would make sense to only exist in Melee (by the lowest platform but a part of the main ground?), but a ledge isn't needed there at all since in a game in which grabbing ledges backward exists, you can just grab the lower ledge. In fact, what the ledge does is limit your mobility jumping around down there. Temple isn't a serious stage in any case, and including a fairly sizable STGDXSHRINE.PAC file in the download to alter it (not even really improve) doesn't seem prudent. It's especially not prudent when you consider "it was that way in Melee" isn't something we take as justification in this project in general. It's more like "if Melee didn't exist, would that change improve Brawl?". That led us to a small number of Melee-inspired changes (our take on Mario is probably the most clear example), but mostly it led us in a different direction than Melee since Brawl is different and all.

As per the Star Fox characters cancels, game feel is important. This is something Thinkaman and I ran into when initially implementing those. Of course, I personally am a firm believer in the whole "tech skill isn't real skill" thing, and while the amount of tech skill in the game isn't something we sought to change (Brawl in my opinion sets a very appropriately low level), I would always favor less instead of more when the option was presented to me. Somehow though, the cancels on the Star Fox characters just didn't feel right. They're such "tight" characters that it seemed odd to be able to jump cancel across this whole big movement. Tightening the frame window made it feel so much better, and honestly it still isn't "hard" so much as it requires you to be aiming for it with some precision. They also animate a bit better when confined to a narrow window (really late cancels in our earliest implementations looked goofy; making those impossible was a good thing). So, yeah, we've thought of this before, and our conclusion was that the current way we have them is the overall greater good. If you have slow fingers, Fox and Wolf are probably two of the worst choices for you for other reasons anyway (as someone who does, in fact, have slow fingers, I sympathise!).

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I should point out that all ICs match-ups are completely different now. Ganon should do much better since he can actually survive being grabbed. We actually speculate that Bowser, another traditional "doesn't beat ICs" character, probably is at a little bit of an advantage against them now.
The concern is natural. Note that ICs have still have dominate (30%+) Popo grab reward, so characters that risk getting grabbed easily still have some for of an innate disadvantage.

However, it's not that simple, just as Ampharos says. A significant amount of of the IC's new approach options put Nana at risk; this might not be a big deal against say Meta Knight or Pit, but against Bowser or Ganondorf it's a huge risk.

If I had to guess, I'd guess both those matchups are in ICs favor, but to a far smaller magnitude.

Thinkaman forgot to mention that Sheik's chain glitch is fixed. Her chain used in that circumstance now hits just like grounded chain, and there is no possibility for a lock-up.
Indeed, posting at 3am will do that. This is a very nice and important bugfix!

I'll just admit to something we really wanted to do but couldn't. We wanted to explore giving Lucas a damaging hitbox on his tether (since the feedback we got from you guys on Lucas was consistently wanting him to be more powerful; we really do listen), but we couldn't get implementation to a satisfactory state.
Yeah, Lucas's zair animation and the way it's referenced would probably have to change for it to behave in an acceptable way identical to other tethers. It's not built like others. I have a pretty high opinion of Lucas though, and actually use him constantly in BBrawl.

Thinkaman really took point on a lot of this stuff; BBrawl2 was honestly a bit more me than him, but this revision is more him than me (overall we both still are heavily involved in everything and do discuss every last change with each other and both agree before proceeding; don't get any wrong ideas).
I'll step out on a limb to publicly disagree, this isn't quite fair simply as a fuction of the volume of work. Ampharos did a significant dive into stage hitbox research and testing once the first of that material because available, with only a little USB Gecko work from me as I worked on ICs non-stop. Similarly I did most the design specs and first pass testing on the "new" stuff in BBrawl 2, while Ampharos did months of much less fun work doing the initial PSA conversions.

Being a two-man operation results in a pretty heavily workload, but lets us maintain an extreme level of accountability and self-scrutiny that leads to the polish (we hope!) you guys see.

Another way I can reveal our ways of working together and point out one of my big ideas was with Bowser. Thinkaman was the one who pushed hard to improve Bowser (if it were me alone, Bowser would be the same), but I was the annoying guy who kept shooting down his ideas for how. This Bowser Bomb change was ultimately my idea to address the issues he was highlighting, and in the end, we were both pretty happy with how things worked out. I would, however, definitely like to hear what you guys are able to get out of it. I know I posted the frame timings for it in an earlier post if that helps anyone; experimentally it's not particularly easy to take advantage of (nowhere near as big of a window as something like Eruption in BBrawl) but potentially a great asset if you are clever.
Bowser is probably the biggest single source of internal disagreements, or at least has been; I'm pretty pleased with this current Bowser. As usual, let us know your input on his matchup states.

That ledge on Onett was really awkward in Melee. The developers were wise to remove it in Brawl. There's only one place I can think of a ledge in Temple that would make sense to only exist in Melee (by the lowest platform but a part of the main ground?), but a ledge isn't needed there at all since in a game in which grabbing ledges backward exists, you can just grab the lower ledge. In fact, what the ledge does is limit your mobility jumping around down there. Temple isn't a serious stage in any case, and including a fairly sizable STGDXSHRINE.PAC file in the download to alter it (not even really improve) doesn't seem prudent. It's especially not prudent when you consider "it was that way in Melee" isn't something we take as justification in this project in general. It's more like "if Melee didn't exist, would that change improve Brawl?". That led us to a small number of Melee-inspired changes (our take on Mario is probably the most clear example), but mostly it led us in a different direction than Melee since Brawl is different and all.
This also goes towards Falcon/Ganon's down-b melee double jump regen, a question we get a lot.

As per the Star Fox characters cancels, game feel is important. This is something Thinkaman and I ran into when initially implementing those. Of course, I personally am a firm believer in the whole "tech skill isn't real skill" thing, and while the amount of tech skill in the game isn't something we sought to change (Brawl in my opinion sets a very appropriately low level), I would always favor less instead of more when the option was presented to me. Somehow though, the cancels on the Star Fox characters just didn't feel right. They're such "tight" characters that it seemed odd to be able to jump cancel across this whole big movement. Tightening the frame window made it feel so much better, and honestly it still isn't "hard" so much as it requires you to be aiming for it with some precision. They also animate a bit better when confined to a narrow window (really late cancels in our earliest implementations looked goofy; making those impossible was a good thing). So, yeah, we've thought of this before, and our conclusion was that the current way we have them is the overall greater good. If you have slow fingers, Fox and Wolf are probably two of the worst choices for you for other reasons anyway (as someone who does, in fact, have slow fingers, I sympathise!).
I'm just reiterate the big ideas, since AA just said most of it already:
-"Cancel" effects feel very natural on the space animals. Most similar cancels that were tested ages ago on other character were obvious failures in operation and feel, but they seem "tight".
-The cancel windows are tighter than most things, but still much wider than many tech skills in Brawl. (to say nothign of other fighting games.) Many Brawl techs have a 2-5 frame window, or even 1 frame in the case of true pivots.
-I'm pretty weak in terms of technical skill relative to other players at my level. (I had to really brush up to get where I could test ICs...) Adding tech skill or other execution barriers to the game is a non-priority for us, as you can tell by our changes. The rare cases where any sort of execution testing has been adding, significant decision density exists.

I'll be around checking this thread and my PMs a great deal over the next few weeks, sorry for the haitus as I focused on this release.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno, fundamentally Ganon by design doesn't really have much to do once the ICs start using desynched Ice Blocks. Powershielding Ice Blocks can only go so far. Wizkicking is too slow to get past them, and F-tilt's lack of range, even with the super armor buff isn't doing many favors for Ganon's approach game. Given that Ganon is going to have a hard time implementing Wizkick due to Ice blocks alone, the ICs are much more free to use Blizzard and other stuff to wall out Ganon.

For Ganon, most of his game hinges on his Wizkick, DA, and F-tilt being able to somehow get Ganon inside, and I don't see that working well against the ICs. Getting grabbed was never my concern about Ganon vs ICs, I mean sure, infinite grabs are lame, but beyond that, it's just the fact the ICs really do have the best options in the game to prevent Ganon from approaching successfully. Ganon at some point is going to have to jump at the ICs just due to desynched Ice Blocks locking down too many of his ground options, and unfortunately for him, being above the ICs is a VERY bad position.

-The cancel windows are tighter than most things, but still much wider than many tech skills in Brawl. (to say nothign of other fighting games.) Many Brawl techs have a 2-5 frame window, or even 1 frame in the case of true pivots.
I just felt like adding, I know from experimentation with various techs that 2 frame windows and anything more lenient are easy to hit with practice. They are windows that I believe the average player can demonstrate with at least 95% consistency when not under pressure.

It's the 1 frame tech windows that are extremely difficult to hit consistently. Controlling the different distances for SideB cancels on space animals for example is based on 1 frame discrepancies if I recall. Doing a random cancel...not too difficult if you're familiar with the character. Getting the exact cancel that you need at the moment? That can be hard to rely on.

shanus

Smash Hero
I just felt like adding, I know from experimentation with various techs that 2 frame windows and anything more lenient are easy to hit with practice. They are windows that I believe the average player can demonstrate with at least 95% consistency when not under pressure.

It's the 1 frame tech windows that are extremely difficult to hit consistently. Controlling the different distances for SideB cancels on space animals for example is based on 1 frame discrepancies if I recall. Doing a random cancel...not too difficult if you're familiar with the character. Getting the exact cancel that you need at the moment? That can be hard to rely on.
2-3 frame windows are very tight inputs. However, buffering is giving you a false sense of tech skill. The reason you find these cancel windows difficult is because in these scenarios is simply that you cannot buffer this input.

If 1 frame-2frame inputs were easy, all games as we know it wouldn't be technical (melee, SF, etc). Just want to clear this up, because its a pretty untrue statement.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I dunno, fundamentally Ganon by design doesn't really have much to do once the ICs start using desynched Ice Blocks. Powershielding Ice Blocks can only go so far. Wizkicking is too slow to get past them, and F-tilt's lack of range, even with the super armor buff isn't doing many favors for Ganon's approach game. Given that Ganon is going to have a hard time implementing Wizkick due to Ice blocks alone, the ICs are much more free to use Blizzard and other stuff to wall out Ganon.

For Ganon, most of his game hinges on his Wizkick, DA, and F-tilt being able to somehow get Ganon inside, and I don't see that working well against the ICs. Getting grabbed was never my concern about Ganon vs ICs, I mean sure, infinite grabs are lame, but beyond that, it's just the fact the ICs really do have the best options in the game to prevent Ganon from approaching successfully. Ganon at some point is going to have to jump at the ICs just due to desynched Ice Blocks locking down too many of his ground options, and unfortunately for him, being above the ICs is a VERY bad position.
Well, Ganon still hates FD in such matchups and ICs still love it, so realistically in a competitive setting Ganon should never let ICs take him to FD. On other stages, Ice Blocks become a lot less scary.

Remember that Ganon's d-tilt is legitimately good against ICs, he can wiz-kick through blizzard, and that once she is separated Ganon fair might be the best "I feel like killing Nana today" move in the game. BBrawl Ganon also might be one of the best characters in the game to crush solo Popo with... He has all of his combo link options, and doesn't really care about any of the range advantages solo Popo clings to.

Add in the Ice Blocks no longer doing silly things to his recovery, and you've got a pretty interesting matchup.

Yeah, I can reliably do Lucas's PK Fire jump, which is a 2 frame gap, and most of Squirtle's shellshifting tricks which are about the same. I occasionally miss Jigglypuff DACUS, which is 3, or Fox/Falco natural side-b cancel which is 2-3.

I think our cancels are 8 frames on double jump and 15 on walljump, and can be buffered. They are pretty liberal, especially compared to the natural cancel! Frankly the only hard part is Wolf's long hitlag messing you up if you aren't paying attention.

Is there a .txt file available with the codes? I'd like to use Riivolution, which means disabling the File Patch Code.
AA should have this readily available, I think I only got the .gct files and not the .txt file from him yet.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
2-3 frame windows are very tight inputs. However, buffering is giving you a false sense of tech skill. The reason you find these cancel windows difficult is because in these scenarios is simply that you cannot buffer this input.

If 1 frame-2frame inputs were easy, all games as we know it wouldn't be technical (melee, SF, etc). Just want to clear this up, because its a pretty untrue statement.
This is correct.

Also, technical difficulty of inputs is a function of the cadence of the motion. Something like Lucas PK Fire jump is extremely natural to do at the required timing. Hitting the same window to natural cancel a side-b about 50 or so frames after any other button press is far more difficult--there is no clear rhythm or muscle pattern, so it becomes a completely different type of execution skill.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

I was talking literal 2 frame windows. Bufferable inputs in Brawl are 10 frame windows. Please don't take what I say out of context. I know I am right.

2 frame unbufferable windows are EASY to hit if you practice. Mario's Sliding Up-smash in Brawl is a perfect example of this in my experience, but it's a little known AT. Point is you have 2 frame windows in Mario's Dash to input an Up-smash which retains a huge amount of horizontal momentum.

Similarly, P-Linking in Street Fighter makes 1 frame links easy to hit consistently, which essentially turns them into 2 frame windows. PROVIDED you perform the act of P-Linking consistently, which is more or less muscle memory. Street Fighter however is extremely technical due to everything being situational and heavily dependent on tight reactions, and due to the INSANE number of inputs you need to hit to increase your frame windows.

I do not consider myself an extremely technical player. I cannot for example play Fox in Melee due to his high technical demand, which involves skill beyond just simply hitting frame windows.

shanus

Smash Hero
I was talking literal 2 frame windows. Bufferable inputs in Brawl are 10 frame windows. Please don't take what I say out of context. I know I am right.

2 frame unbufferable windows are EASY to hit if you practice. Mario's Sliding Up-smash in Brawl is a perfect example of this in my experience, but it's a little known AT. Point is you have 2 frame windows in Mario's Dash to input an Up-smash which retains a huge amount of horizontal momentum.

Similarly, P-Linking in Street Fighter makes 1 frame links easy to hit consistently, which essentially turns them into 2 frame windows. PROVIDED you perform the act of P-Linking consistently, which is more or less muscle memory. Street Fighter however is extremely technical due to everything being situational and heavily dependent on tight reactions, and due to the INSANE number of inputs you need to hit to increase your frame windows.

I do not consider myself an extremely technical player. I cannot for example play Fox in Melee due to his high technical demand, which involves skill beyond just simply hitting frame windows.
An input can be a 2 frame window, but be bufferable. The buffer window allows a transition of a 10 frame input to be done prior to the action.

You can envision the following action (this is not exact, just an example).

The first 2 frames, of an air dodge, if you hit a, it will zair. Now for this input, you realistically have a 2 frame window to alter your air dodge into a zair. However, because brawl lets you buffer your input of L + A, this input becomes facile in that you can realistically be holding A to register as a "Button Press" instead of "Button Pressed."

There is nothing false about my claims, and have hard coding behind it to prove it.

I challenge you to load up melee, and do 10 multishines with fox in a row. If 2 frame inputs for you are easy, then this should be cake. Or perform 5 samus swd in a row (if your phanna or ihsb this won't be a problem, but very few people are as capable as they are with swd)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You are again taking my claims in completely the wrong context. Hitting a frame window is GENERALLY NOT the hard part of technical skill unless it's a 1 frame window.

And your example of 10 multishines in a row is completely irrelevant. It's not even about 2 frame windows anymore. It's about endurance, which is a completely different subject.

shanus

Smash Hero
You are again taking my claims in completely the wrong context. Hitting a frame window is GENERALLY NOT the hard part of technical skill unless it's a 1 frame window.

And your example of 10 multishines in a row is completely irrelevant. It's not even about 2 frame windows anymore. It's about endurance, which is a completely different subject.
So, then can you even do 1-2 multishine in a row consistently? You said it yourself before that you couldn't play fox due to his technical components. If not, your claims are bogus.

The fact is, 2 frame windows are not something simple unless its the direct start of a move which can be reflex buffered in (i.e. dash or dash attack to usmash inputs is a just move-as-fast-as possible input, its got no sense of timing behind it). Frame perfect or near frame perfect execution is viewed as impressive because its a difficult input to begin with, and its a real stretch to call 2 fr inputs "cake."

Anyways, not discussing this anymore in BBrawl's thread.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So, then can you even do 1-2 multishine in a row consistently? You said it yourself before that you couldn't play fox due to his technical components. If not, your claims are bogus.

The fact is, 2 frame windows are not something simple unless its the direct start of a move which can be reflex buffered in (i.e. dash or dash attack to usmash inputs is a just move-as-fast-as possible input, its got no sense of timing behind it). Frame perfect or near frame perfect execution is viewed as impressive because its a difficult input to begin with, and its a real stretch to call 2 fr inputs "cake."

Anyways, not discussing this anymore in BBrawl's thread.
If I try hard, I can do two multishines definitely. It's not even the frame window that's the hard part, it's the physical action required that's hard.

Timing a button press to hit at a designated moment is easy if the leniency is 2 frames or more. The most difficult part of technical skill is not timing. It's learning the actions.

What you're talking about is completely irrelevant to timing. The aspect of technical skill that actually is difficult is NEVER timing unless it's 1 frame windows. What you are actually talking about is motions.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Did AA ever get around to posting the .txt file for the codes? I want to make sure I can play BBrawl with some of my stage model hacks, too. :p

Last Elixir

Smash Cadet
This is pretty sweet, I'm liking what you did with IC quite a bit, though I've only had the chance to use them a couple of times! My only real initial complaint is about Green Hill Zone being a legal stage, as the middle of the stage falling apart can become annoying, though usually the ledges are at least close enough when things fall that you can grab one, it's simply frustrating when the stage decides to fall apart when nothing seems to be attacking it! Also, that's not much of a complaint seeing that I can just turn the stage off and not deal with it.

Anyway, to answer your question about how natural the game feels at the moment, I'd say that while IC feels like a pretty different character from everyone else, and aren't really something I'd expect the designers to have made them, it's still pretty fluid to pick them up and go to town, even if you are not an expert with them, or Brawl itself, so I'd say you guys are doing a pretty great job!

Thanks for the update, it really does help to keep the game fresh and make me keep coming back, when I'd have probably dropped it some time ago otherwise.

EDIT: Also, I just overwrote all of the old information on my SD card with the new stuff for BBrawl 3, is that an acceptable way to update it, or is there anything that needs outright deleted to make what I have be official?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Did AA ever get around to posting the .txt file for the codes? I want to make sure I can play BBrawl with some of my stage model hacks, too. :p
AA has this, I'll make sure he posts it tonight.

This is pretty sweet, I'm liking what you did with IC quite a bit, though I've only had the chance to use them a couple of times! My only real initial complaint is about Green Hill Zone being a legal stage, as the middle of the stage falling apart can become annoying, though usually the ledges are at least close enough when things fall that you can grab one, it's simply frustrating when the stage decides to fall apart when nothing seems to be attacking it! Also, that's not much of a complaint seeing that I can just turn the stage off and not deal with it.
I'm not a big fan of Green Hill Zone personally, mostly due to the shape leading to defensive play.

Anyway, to answer your question about how natural the game feels at the moment, I'd say that while IC feels like a pretty different character from everyone else, and aren't really something I'd expect the designers to have made them, it's still pretty fluid to pick them up and go to town, even if you are not an expert with them, or Brawl itself, so I'd say you guys are doing a pretty great job!
Thanks; ICs are really tricky. Assuming that their infinites are not intended core design, competitive ICs play in standard Brawl is already significantly deviant from their intended design. In fact, it doesn't take many assumptions to be able to say that in competitive play ICs are more deviant from their "design" than any other character.

This is why we aren't changing ICs just because we felt like it, or because we thought they were on the wrong "road": we're changing them because in competitive play they aren't on *any* road, they are off in a ditch somewhere.

Thanks for the update, it really does help to keep the game fresh and make me keep coming back, when I'd have probably dropped it some time ago otherwise.
Balance is ensuring the validity of a game's innate variety, so it's always good for long term game health.

EDIT: Also, I just overwrote all of the old information on my SD card with the new stuff for BBrawl 3, is that an acceptable way to update it, or is there anything that needs outright deleted to make what I have be official?
Mostly. We're deprecating the Spear Pillar modification, so you can delete the TENGEN stage .pac if you want to get rid of that. Of course, continue using it if you'd like. (It's just that the few people who actually liked Spear Pillar prefer the old one, on average, and everyone else turns it off by habit anyway.)

Is there a .txt file for the codes used in BBrawl 2 PAL?
I'll ask Ampharos aobut this too, a quick look doesn't find one on my local folders nor the server. It has to exist somewhere, and if nothing else we can reverse the .gct file?

Stammer6

Smash Rookie
Hey, I just recently downloaded B.Brawl, put it on my SD card, and tried to load it up into my Wii, but it isn't working. I followed all of the instructions, but the Wii is acting as if my SD card isn't an SD card at all. Even though the computer I used to unzip the B.Brawl files onto the card recognized it as one, my Wii isn't.

And I don't know what the problem is because my Wii recognizes my other SD card. I'd use that one but it's too small for the B.Brawl files.

If someone could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
You probably are trying to use a SDHC. Restrict yourself to SD cards 2 GB or smaller in size for Brawl to recognize them.

I have sent Thinkaman both requested .txt files, and I think he's going to put them up on the site.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
http://balancedbrawl.net/download/BBrawl3.txt

http://balancedbrawl.net/download/Bbrawl2PAL.txt

Additionally, I made a small error and included some files for the old menu changes in the package. I have re-uploaded a smaller .zip with them removed; there's no reason to redownload, it's simply 12MB smaller.

Hey, I just recently downloaded B.Brawl, put it on my SD card, and tried to load it up into my Wii, but it isn't working. I followed all of the instructions, but the Wii is acting as if my SD card isn't an SD card at all. Even though the computer I used to unzip the B.Brawl files onto the card recognized it as one, my Wii isn't.

And I don't know what the problem is because my Wii recognizes my other SD card. I'd use that one but it's too small for the B.Brawl files.

If someone could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
How big is this card? Wiis often have issues with large cards. How big is the other other card?

Here's a condensed package (11 MB) that doesn't have the files to load PT, Shiek/Zelda, ZSS, or Castle Siege faster: www.balancedbrawl.net/download/bbrawl3_rc1_condensed.zip

Edit: Feel free to just grab that file pack if you already have BBrawl2...

Stammer6

Smash Rookie
How big is this card? Wiis often have issues with large cards. How big is the other other card?
My older card is only 64MB, so it didn't have enough for the regular B.Brawl. But I went out and bought a new 4GB one... guess I'll have to take it back now haha.

Thanks for the link to the condensed version. I'll give it a shot right now.

Stammer6

Smash Rookie
Okay, so this smaller one... it won't let me extract files onto it.

I'm feeling pretty stupid right now. I'm usually pretty computer-savvy, but I've never ever had to use an SD card before and don't know how they work. It's looking like I can't simply just put stuff onto it. So how do I put stuff onto it?

EDIT: Apparently it's "write-protected", how do I fix this? lol

EDIT: Okay, I figured it out. Never mind!

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
Do you plan on making another compilation video showing off some new things in BBrawl 3? Loved seeing the previous ones.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Do you plan on making another compilation video showing off some new things in BBrawl 3? Loved seeing the previous ones.
There's not a whole lot to show, besides ICs and Jigglypuff stuff. Maybe a single shot of Bowser down-b countering a juggle and PKT2 connecting completely.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Um... a video showcasing the new Ice Climbers ALONE would be worth it, personally. They're... interesting, but fun (so far), although I'd LOVE to see actual skilled IC play in BBrawl 3.

I'm sure it'd be mindblowing.

Stammer6

Smash Rookie
Glad you got it figured out, let us know what you think.
So far, I think it's awesome! I've been having fun for the last...*checks clock*...holy crap, 5 hours! Only playing against CPU right now, but I'm going to be playing with friends tomorrow to check it out more realistically.

Falco was always my best character, and I love how you managed to allow him to still follow through with a combo after a down-throw while disabling his chain-throwing ability. Infinites and for-certain KO's are just not fun for either party.

But hands-down my favourite change is: NO MORE PRAT-FALLS! haha. Those were the bane of my existence. Thank you for removing them!

Top Bottom