• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Mind-Meld: A Captain Falcon Matchup Thread (now on: EDGEGUARDING))

0Room

Smash Lord
uthrow-knee around 100%
uthrow->fsmash starts as low at 83%
Knee->grab at 0%
Can stomp->knee 50-100%
dropzone->knee 70-140ish
Dtilt->knee 70-110%
uthrow->ftilt around 80%

Anything else?

Walt

Smash Ace
uthrow > dsmash 90%ish on fastfallers, for front hit, back hit I think will always get jumped out of.
uthrow > fsmash 100%ish on fastfallers
dropzone on sheik and ganon 35%-45%
uthrow > dtilt 60%ish on fastfallers
dtilt > grab I don't remember, someone check
nair > grab can be actually combo'd I think at like 15% but people will usually let you do it at 0%, gogo tick throws. provided it doesn't get CC'd, which it should at low percents and you should get insta-grabbed.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Depends on DI
Also depends on how close you are to the ledge
Also depends on how fast you are at running out of grab (I suck at it ... sigh -_- stupid Sheik)

Mokumo

Smash Ace
if they DI away it will never, ever work. if they're at higher % and they DI way in it won't work either, i usually bust out a low angled Ftilt or something. im talking about fox/falco/falcon here though

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
when I play falcon when fighting a fox and just got shined off edge if the fox is predicting youl up B again and wants to shine you again just to be a troll. what I like to do is just befor the try to shine me just Up Air them since your gonna die either way miles well take them out with you. works well on dreamland the up air has a chance to send them under dreamland for the and betime they fire fox they are waffle coned haha. could stage up on other stages if they dont tech cause its high unexpected. just 1 of my nooby tactics i dont even main falcon.

J_Noodles

Smash Cadet
when I play falcon when fighting a fox and just got shined off edge if the fox is predicting youl up B again and wants to shine you again just to be a troll. what I like to do is just befor the try to shine me just Up Air them since your gonna die either way miles well take them out with you. works well on dreamland the up air has a chance to send them under dreamland for the and betime they fire fox they are waffle coned haha. could stage up on other stages if they dont tech cause its high unexpected. just 1 of my nooby tactics i dont even main falcon.
LOL, I think I did this once on yoshi's story; it was my last stock and after shining me, he decided to go all the way down and shine me again but I uaired and he got stage spiked pretty bad.

J_Noodles

Smash Cadet
Just to make a note, u-throw to d-throw-dropzone works well for me if the fox doesn't di the u-throw. It should work at percents where u-throw chaingrab is possible, so around 60% or so.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
i did that to jman once =P it was back when he started experimenting with holding your shine off stage and then jumping out into a bair/anything.

dropzone is borringggg ._____________.

at least from dthrow, everyone knows how to do that. what are the %s for bair -> dropzone (runoff knee), knee -> dropzone, uair dropzone, nair dropzone, **** even dair dropzone. i'm pretty sure i've done all of these before but i wasn't paying attention to the percentages.

Windrose

Smash Lord
What happened to this mind-meld. Let's keep going!

Is there a way to prevent ever from getting the reverse knee dropzone? Reverse kneeing on dropzone is the worst... they tech it and you get owned.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
so if we're gonna keep this mindmeld going... do you guys want to officially move on to a different matchup? i feel like the thread died in part because of that.

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
sure, i think switching to a different matchup would be just fine. someone mentioned a samus matchup, and we can mention samus for a bit, but i think going a falco-type direction would be more beneficial and relevant as a whole.
as always, we can go back whenever it is needed

that said, lets talk falco

Walt

Smash Ace
Yeah but a MU is more than just what percentages you can do a 2-hit combo on them at. Tricks to getting around lasers, what Falcon can do about pillaring, how to avoid and DI the auto combos, the inability to challenge Falco in the air, utilt is gay, etc.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I played PeePee at G6
If he didn't airdodge off the edge I think I would've gotten solidly 4 stocked twice
The depression

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
I play with chops frequently and we go even or i win majority. I'm very familiar with the falco MU, i see falco as fox with a projectile that can stop you lol What i do that works is when he starts to laser camp i just shield and wd oos towards him little by little. Then when i get close to him i either grab, space knee, nair, or space uair(i prefer uair) don't dair it's sucks unless you know you're gonna get it. When he starts his pressure BS on my shield with nair shine/pillars etc i just buffer roll or full hop(full hop is mad safe) you can also shield DI away from his pressure or point your shield upwards to mess up his timing. Then just grab and tech chase and ****, a lot of falcons i see don't wait for the tech they just wanna guess where they're gonna go to knee or dair. Hax and myself like to wait and regrab then after we know their patterns we start to use knees/dairs as tech chases. As for shdl from the ledge full hop stomp is your best bet, i like to knee it before the lasers come out it's too good lol If you time it right you'll get the knee or it'll clank with his laser but it doesn't matter he's dead. Crouch cancel dtilt is also **** vs shdl a lot of people don't use it, cause if he's at enough percent he'll pop up and you can knee him or if he's at low percent you'll take his jump and he'll go down and then easy edgeguard. LOL i never post but i wanna start to help now with w.e i can

Windrose

Smash Lord
Wow that was quite an insight, I'm going to try to apply that. The one thing I'm not too sure about is the slowly wd oos toward the falco when they're lasering. That seems kinda awkward...

I think it's probably a good idea to eventually get a grip on powershielding lasers no matter what char you play against falco. it's always good to know

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think the reason why most people who aren't good are bad vs Falco is because they don't have out of shield timings down

I certainly don't
Sigh -_-

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I play with chops frequently and we go even or i win majority. I'm very familiar with the falco MU, i see falco as fox with a projectile that can stop you lol What i do that works is when he starts to laser camp i just shield and wd oos towards him little by little. Then when i get close to him i either grab, space knee, nair, or space uair(i prefer uair) don't dair it's sucks unless you know you're gonna get it. When he starts his pressure BS on my shield with nair shine/pillars etc i just buffer roll or full hop(full hop is mad safe) you can also shield DI away from his pressure or point your shield upwards to mess up his timing. Then just grab and tech chase and ****, a lot of falcons i see don't wait for the tech they just wanna guess where they're gonna go to knee or dair. Hax and myself like to wait and regrab then after we know their patterns we start to use knees/dairs as tech chases. As for shdl from the ledge full hop stomp is your best bet, i like to knee it before the lasers come out it's too good lol If you time it right you'll get the knee or it'll clank with his laser but it doesn't matter he's dead. Crouch cancel dtilt is also **** vs shdl a lot of people don't use it, cause if he's at enough percent he'll pop up and you can knee him or if he's at low percent you'll take his jump and he'll go down and then easy edgeguard. LOL i never post but i wanna start to help now with w.e i can
do you mean cc the first laser and dtilt before the second one? or crouch under it?

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
mikehaggar, both ways work cause if the falco shdl from the ledge too high you go under it, if he does it low take the first hit then dtilt

Hax

Smash Champion
im thinking of writing a falcon guide.. i feel like this game's community isn't as big as it could be because its not very inviting for beginners. it would take a mad long time though

Windrose

Smash Lord
im thinking of writing a falcon guide.. i feel like this game's community isn't as big as it could be because its not very inviting for beginners. it would take a mad long time though
That would be awesome!

You should work with scar. He already has it under construction. I am sure if you guys split it up or something it will be alot easier. S2j, nand0 and other more experienced people can contribute too?

$mike

Smash Ace
you definitely should

i'd recommend the same layout as mango's old guide for puff. it was really simple - the main pointers listed for each matchup, followed by a brief summary. i think this is both the most effective and least time consuming way to go.

for the record i'd be down to help, plus others would probably be willing to as well... though i'm sure you can do it on your own. your advice *****

0Room

Smash Lord
/ignore V3ctorman

I try and help people get rid of bad habits on the Video Critique thread
Whether or not it works is up to you, but if you want to post something there, we can help you pick out what's good and what's bad.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
def think you should hax, I'd ****ing read it and read it again every time I lose, and read it instead of studying.

And eventually I would pwn.

And while you're at it, you should come to australia, or otherwise get good at brawl as well and be sponsored to come to an aus major like we sponsored m2k. yepppp that would be pretty sweet.

D

Deleted member

i was thinking of making guides/videos

but all i know is.. defense

Top Bottom