• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DG Interview Thread: Walrus? Toasted

RPS

• Total voters

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Here we have a known aggro Dgames member. You know that once he sniffs out scum vibes, he's not letting go till something else interest him or they're lynched. Here's the guy who always wants info upon flips, KevinM!

----------------------------------

Thank you for joining with us. How does it feel to take on this interview?

I'm pretty excited actually, it's been a lot of fun reading the ones that have happened so far!

How do you feel the game of mafia has changed from when the game was introduced to you, to the present day?

That one is tough... Without sounding mean I feel as if a lot of the newer players are just looking for the wrong things and instead play a more by the book style of mafia. When you played with the vets I felt a lot more like I was reading the player, not the playstyle but a lot of the new wave hold really hard to logical fallacies as scum tells (shoutouts to DH bby) and meta plays a HUGE part of how they scum hunt. My most recent game had me trying really hard to get Ghebscum caught but a lot of people dismissed him as town because he was "following his meta" then when he flipped indie I was p sad. Which is a good transition into the fact that like Yedi said.. newbies actually listen to Gheb.. wtf is up with that?

What veteran player do you feel most comfortable on your side as town? Your scum mate? Same question regarding the newer wave players.

Hmmm...I guess as town for the vets I would have to say Marshy, knowing he is town is just such a nice boon and even though he doesn't give a lot input he normally can just sorta win the game by himself eventually. For scum, it would be me and Tom. man we have been waiting for that for so long, I can't even elaborate because when it happens we are perfecting that game, real talk haha. Uhh for newer players, I guess it really depends on when I could cut off for newbies. I guess as far as my definition goes, knowing Cello is town would be hella tight, that guy is mad smart. The problem is I always think he is scum just because we have completely different ways of getting to our conclusions and I almost always think his style is scum or underhanded haha.. Sorry Cellobro!

I can't think of a scum partner I'd want with the newbies to be honest, it's tough mainly because I haven't been scum in like the two games I've been back so I have no idea how they would function. I guess possibly Tandora since a lot of people think she's town no matter what she is doing and a lot of players think she has a solid read, we could probably do some damage. Also if I was allowed two for scummies btw in Vets I figure I should mention if I can't have Tom give me EE.. that guy is the homie and we would click super well just because of how far apart our playstyles are.

Why do you feel people listen to Gheb?

I honestly haven't the faintest idea, must be the pokemon tag he has after every post. Looks official.

What is your ideal Day/Night phase length?

Ideally a Day phase would be a week and a night phase would be maximum 72 hours. however knowing SWF's plagues of inactivity. make it 10 days and 72 hour nights.

Why won't you play RO

Hah, well I mean I had been there and done that once with an Alco, I tranced and everything but I'm really awful at grinding games, where your actual goal is to be grinding. haha. Plus I already have my kick of SWF gaming with LoL haha

Ever toasted any walrus?

Haha then no I'm actually allergic to walrus haha.

What was it like playing your first adventure game? What transferred over from mafia? What was new and exciting?

Oh man The Fog was such a sweet idea, I was definitely pumped about it... until EE wronged me in a way I have only just forgiven...(I SAID I WOULD STAY WITH HIM UNTIL AFTER THE WEEKEND I HAD THE LOGS :( I KNOW IT WAS TO LATE AND YOU HAD ALREADY MADE THE MISTAKE BUT... *deep breath*)... besides that it was a lot of fun and it took some logic to try and figure out who had ulterior motives for the time I was alive.

In the fog, what was the character and how did it go for you personally?

I played Solley, she was basically a drifter, it was a lot of fun because I didn't have to force ties with anyone and got to do a lot of my own thing for the majority of the time I was alive. I did some fun quick second decisions concerning opposing parties on whether to work with them, steal from them, where to go and why I was doing it. It was a blast but unfortunately due to mod miscommunication :mad: I was killed off earlier then expected. I hardly knew her :(

So you were the Scarecrow in Batman holy balls that is cool. Where'd you take your inspiration for the character? What mentality did you bring to playing the Master of Fear? What do you wish you'd have done, or would you have done, if you could have been more active?

Oh man he was the coolest character. I took a lot of inspiration from the character in the comics, as well as how underhanded he fought in his brief cameo during TDK. I felt like I had a lot of stuff under wraps, I had the plants growing, I had a lot of big plants and I think for the longest time I had the biggest casualty rate with my attack on the football stadium. man that was definitely my biggest move and shake the planning into that was ridiculous. If I could have been more active the blimp/jet flyover was going to be the destruction of that town I swear...also having to do sessions with other villains was great, putting the pills to I believe it was Bane with fear pills on the bottom was awesome. God it was so awesome

Any enemies you met or allies you had? You seemed so quiet in that game.

I worked alone pretty much all game. The closest I had to allys were underhanded stuff I did during sessions. fear pills, guiding them etc. But for the most part I was running solo I don't think I was ever under any pressure from major movers on the side of good

[b[What was your favorite play ever in the history of Decisive Games?[/b]

hmmm...I mean for sheer hilarity it will forever be Swords counterclaiming that Day Vig... man that will forever be my favorite thing ever.. I mean he just played such a perfect game...and there was absolutely no way he really shoulda lost that one but LOOOOOL. For actual plays that is tough there were a lot of Dgames plays that were good. I really like Frozen's play throughout all of Harry Potter but I guess my favorite moment would be me claiming Dementor on D2 and then having someone mafia use the luck potion to make it happen. It was the easiest win that was ever gifted to me and just all the shenanigans that happened from it were godlike. I guess you could say my favorite moment WAS Harry Potter haha.

Who are you always wary of when you play a mafia game?

I'm always worried of Yedi, we talk so much and we've played in a lot of games together. More importantly if he ever catches me he gloats about it in real life :(, he's so mean. He knows my style really well. What about players like Tom, FrozenFlame, or any other of the vets. I mean all of them are super good, its really hard. The problem is the vets lately have been super plagued by inactivity, they get themselves killed a lot of the time haha. Back in the day though it would have been Frozen, that guy is LEGENDARY when it comes to scum hunting.

Who are you always wary of when you play an adventure game?

Tom, he gets SO into the adventure game and he's got all of his options covered but he interacts a lot more with the other players and makes himself work behind the scenes a lot. its hard to get actual interactions with him and you're never sure if someone has met him before he's met you.. that guy is the epitome of adventure games.

DGames has a rather consistent influx of newbies. What's your #1 "this guy is so ****in scummy" tell when it comes to fresh meat?

Not taking stances. Seriously it's either the number one tell of weak townie you can get rid of anyways or a scum that isn't getting proper info from his team mates. You can usually pick them off by day two with like a simple character net and just realizing they aren't doing anything to push a player.

How much do you love EE? Picture a catchy beat and bust some rhymes on this subject.

haha ok hold on..I'm gonna actually try and bust something here hold on

Pick a day nine out of ten I'd be with you babe see you while I'm dreaming, dreaming wake up in the morning love you more every morning. First time I saw you I was in awe you had me lookin back at ya, its not just the fact that your beautiful its the fact that your beautiful in every root of the word, could I have a word or a dance with ya you could put your head on my shoulders the musics getting slower the night is getting colder DJ let the music play

haha thats the best love song I can make for him on the spot, tell him to give me some more time and I'd have a way better one

What do you think about Fluff posts? What if the person naturally posts alot?

It depends on what I think they're trying to get out of it, if they're fluff posting and I feel like they're just trying to stay off radar I start pressuring them for solid stances, if they don't give one thats when I start getting suspicious. For the most part I think conciseness is the best friend of a townie. If the person is naturally like that i REALLY have to look for his stances but more often then not those are the characters I end up lynching just because I want a more solid and successful endgame.

Is it wrong for the person to use words such as "Should" and others relating to "Advice Doggin"? How do you think someone generally good (or thinks so) at teaching, avoid this?

I think a lot of the time if people are "advice doggin" they are discussing mechanics which shows them avoiding taking firm stances on the players themselves. The one exception I make for that is stronger players just want to direct town in a way that can shape the game how they wanted it to turn out. The latter part is hard to figure out though...sorry haha

What type of questions are unneeded besides wifom?

Night action questions before night occurs things like. Well if you were doc who would you protect? Only serve to give mafia ideas and out the doc, they aren't protown and I still don't understand why people try and direct the night in that manner. Its just another form of WIFOM I know but I feel as if its in its own catagory

What is a solid case? What is a weak case?

A solid case is a concise case pointing out inconsistencies in a players stances towards various players and or opinions. It will show that the player doesn't actively hunt out the scum so much as he's been trying to remain relatively un noticed, showing off the players more conducive to being alive then winning for town. A weak case.. is the opposite, and is usually done from those stupid "I'm gonna go back and read about X" and then they bring up every post they've made in the last week and a half. the reasoning is that they're so convinced they are scum they just pin everything on that and don't give any head to other ideas.. it's just a weak way to make a case.

How many questions is too many questions?

In the case of this interview? INFINITE. In mafia? INFINITE. Questioning things in mafia is one of the strongest ways to gain information.. if the questions are genuine and require the player to draw actual connections

In a newbie thread, how should a semi-experienced player start out? Should newbies trust the IC's with power? What would you do in that situation, knowing that the leaders are quite, slow. (In moving, didn't do that much ****)

The IC should be sitting back imo, they are there only to help the players and move them forward progressively not to try and win the game. Their main goal should be to teach not to win the game.

What roles are too broken?

Anything that limits flips.. Worst ****ing roles ever.

Is a setup ok if everything is fun and balanced?

Yes for sure, I mean how could it not be haha. Although sometimes I wish the flavor was toned down

Can you give examples of games where there was too little flavor, or too much flavor in a Mafia game?

Too little flavor was probably my down and dirty mafia, but most people enjoyed it for just being mafia without the bells and whistles. The game with the most flavor that tended to be a problem was probably monster where not having role claims really butchered our characters since they weren't strong enough in the series to be a good claim

What if two roles were combined, how should that go?

Two roles combined hmm...I would find some kind of hybrid SK that would make it a little more nooby friendly. I really liked Virg's how he balanced it...Made it so night actions could not block the SK kill...however more so then that I would tweak it slightly more so that redirections could also not happen on the SK...Call it a trueshot killer or whatever haha

What is your advice for players who wish to be strong town players?

Don't be so worried about convincing the town that you're town as much as looking for scum.. if and when you flip town the players that you were pinning down (if you were correct haha!) will be looked at really hard
KevinMorrissey12 (11:29:23 PM):
and if not you will get cleared by your stances and why you're making them and people WILL follow you

How can one find out other town tells so that they can combine intelligence and corner scum? (I hear monster Island is a great example, I need to read it more, but could you give examples to some who didn't have the time to read all of it?)

Basically I look for someone that is reaching the same conclusions as me without me having to spoonfeed them why I am reaching it. If I'm town and they are reaching similar conclusions it's pretty safe to assume they are on my side

Do you think it would benefit your play if you would be a little bit more elaborate in mafia games? If not, what makes you think so?

Umm I think it would only because people wouldn't try to kill me just based off of me being curt haha. But Idk I really like the way I play and I think the vets read off of what I'm saying enough to make it worthwhile
kevinmorrissey12 (11:50:40 PM):
But yeah I think sometimes I'm to stubborn for my own good haha

Can you explain what your playstyle is?

I try and highlight things I see as scummy by drawing attention to it with a quote and a comment. Honestly eventually I just get a THIS GUY has to be scum vibe and I start grilling it really hard, normally when I latch on that guy is going to crack and give information. I'm not infallible and sometimes I swing and force a claim of a PR but like Tom and Frozen have joked before the number one scum tell is if I'm wrong on two days in a row I'm probably scum what a serious compliment. So I guess in a nutshell I highlight scummy things and let the better worded players make my case xD

Why did you start off TMNT mafia by claiming miller?

I get investigated a lot.. figured it would be a pretty townie KevinM way to play and I like being in the spotlight because I'm a good player and being able to dictate a day to me is huge

Do you think large posts are anti-town, or do you feel that people should buckle down and read them?

I definitely feel people should read them, but MAN i hate them haha. Usually their posts just get weaker and weaker like I said before usually they're just fluffing it up and the argument gets weaker and weaker

How did come to your current playstyle of minimum-sized posts? Did you just start out with it, or did you gradually develop it over time?

Um I kinda encompassed the most efficient playstyles that I could and then tried to make it mesh with me. at first I had a lot of large posts but for the most part they were forced and watered down

Do you think that there are any general scumtells fo experianced players who know what they are doing

Trying to direct night actions, if a vet starts doing that in a non-lylo mylo situation it throws up red flags for me super fast. I'm almost 90 percent certain that if I feel there is mal-intent behind it that person is scum just because of how blatant of a bad idea it is the first couple days

What's your stance on meta?

I think unless someone has a blatant meta (read you are 100 percent certain) then you should ignore it and scumhunt naturally.. it's 100 percent more effective.

Do you know how to dance IRL?

Yeah I got mean moves haha.

On average, how many women are in your place of residance at any given hour?

Lookin like an MTV music video up in hurr 24/7 you know what it is haha

In Batma(n)fia. Was keeping me out of the loop planned, or something that just happened? You scared the **** out of [Ryker] when you stole my safe claim.

A huge style of play of mine has to do with keeping people out of the loop, look at MK with Monster Mafia. It's a great style to leave the player that I feel weakest (no offense you were newer at the time) because they literally have no connections to the rest of the mafia members. Then more so then that if I were to die they see a connection to one player (the other mafia member) and they really have to look for the person with almost no connections that isn't scum hunting to catch the third. I feel its really solid, it worked pretty strong

How old were you when you got your first kiss?

Um stupid peck was super young, my first like girlfriend kiss was probably like 13 and I was 18 when I shared my first kiss with HaileyM, whom I've been dating now for a little more then three years, so I'd say that last one is hella important as my first "real" kiss haha

Fill in the blanks to create your own Rockin joke. _______ is an acceptable _________ for ________ when _________ are __________.

Rockin is an acceptable rockin for rockin when rockin are rockin.

Man I'm funny

any advice you wanna give new players on how to improve?

Stop relying on Meta! Seriously you cripple yourself by autoclearing others, and also don't ever as town look at the game as self-survival, look at as victory for town.
KevinMorrissey12 (1:32:52 AM):
Frozen was the greatest example of that because he always died N1 anyways so he would crush D1 for town

how was your day today? howve you been?

Uhh, its been pretty ****ty to be honest, but we livin haha. I like getting **** done when its knitty gritty

if you could meet and chill with 5 dgamers irl who would they be and why?

Tom- Kid is like my best friend real talk, we need to hang out asap and want to make this happen sometime

Marshy- I love this kid, and he's super smart and he's one of my number one bros. I've always wanted to chill with Marshy

Evil Eye: Man inside jokes galore with this guy plus he's the person i probably talk to the most outside of Tom just about things besides mafia

hmmm..I've met you, Yedi, Frozen. Probably Chaco since he was a good friend of mine and I really miss that kid...and Teran if he counts, that kids the homie. If not I guess it would be between Cello and Xiivi both of those guys would probably be cool to hang out with but I feel like I don't know them as well as the aforementioned league of bros. Also Pierre seems neat but he disappeared off the face of the earth haha

when [Marshy] finally adopt a child together do you like the name KevinMarsh for him?

I love it! And I love you!

...wait, are you cheating on HaileyM for Marshy?

She knows of my love for the bros of Dgames, she's cool with it because its totally bromosexual. Bromance for all

What is your favorite town role, Scum role, and Independent role?

Town: VT

Scum: Godfather

Indie: SK

basic love haha

What is your favorite open setup?

Hmm...Probably Popcorn I really like that setup

If you could add/change/remove any rule that is pretty standard here in Dgames for mafia games, what would it be and why?

The lax amount of modkills on inactivity. the more modkills we get the less inactive people would be

What is your ideal Neutral/CP stage list for Melee singles? (No more than 7 neutrals, but you can have as many CPs as you want)

Hmm..Either Pound 4 which I like a lot or...I like 5 Neutrals: PS/YS/BF/DL/FD. Counterpicks: FoD, Japes, Corneria, Mute City, Brinstar. That would be fun and it means I don't have to strike FoD EVERY SET I hate that stage

What is your most/least favorite Melee matchup to play?

Most: Fox Dittoes or Fox Falcon, I'm really comfortable in both of those matchups

Least: Fox Marth, just way to campy and I hate avoiding half of the stages i normally like playing on

What is your most/least favorite matchup to watch?

Really high level Falco Dittoes are always a blast to watch PP and Mango was amazing. Least favorite is probably like Falcon vs Sheik... it's just painful

Can you elaborate why the Falcon Vs. shiek is 'painful' to watch? Both seem to have the speed to keep up with the other, so the matchup seems who can punish the most

Yeah but then you watch like M2K do it...and he just gets the grab and ahh :( Falcon just kinda bounces around for a while until he dies. ever watch him vs Darkrain? So sad

Who is the hardest player for you to read in mafia?

Marshy, he's just so concise and smart it drives me insane. of the newer players, probably Swiss but I don't think its a good thing he just plays antitown for the sake of playing anti town imo

What would your dream game flavour be and what character/role would you ideally get in said setup?

Dream flavor huh? Probably Fight Club Mafia, I feel like the whole who is tyler durdon stuff could be crazy for roles and the double lives of people could lead to some fun mechanic. You know I gotta be ya boy Brad Pitt, who would be an independent role either an Arson or an SK in masonry with the REAL Tyler Durdon

Where do you spend most of your time on SWF?

Um mostly Dgames the BRoom and the LoL thread...actually... thats it haha...and tournament results for like the week after I attend them to name search xD

What other games do you play a lot outside of smash?

Hmm...League of Legends (Add me- KevinM2010), MvC3, I wanna be the Boshy. Uhh thats really it I don't play a lot of video games haha. oh and Heroes of Newerth, way better then LoL but not enough smash players play it to make it worthwhile. I guess like Basketball and Tennis would be what I play the most outside of smash if that counts for games ahah.

Are you finally gonna play [Adumb] at Zenith?

Yeah come find me dawg!

Who was your favorite set of scummates in a game and why?

Favorite set of scummates that is tough. I really liked MK/EE and Rockin in Monster mafia was it? Yeah that was the one. Man that worked so well. You caught like my every little night action mistake I might have made...and EE just played like a boss and keeping MK out of it just made it so he had no connection to anyone..it was just super smooth sailing the entire game, sorry we had to bus you haha

Can you remember what went down in Monster Mafia that made you feel this way? Please explain the plan, the pros, and cons of the victory/lost of your Mafia team

Well from the beginning I really liked my team just because since it was two newer players it meant I could experiment with some bull**** ideas and they would be down with it ahah

I ran it over with [Rockin] on D1 about the possibility of bussing [Rockin] early on so that I could look townie and [Rockin] agreed and I was like awesome everything is going to go super well and I also got to once again run one of my favorite mafia ploys in the book one that I think at least on SWF I'm the only person to really stand behind. Anyways the plan involves leaving one of your members completely out of the loop. Heck it got to the point that Meta would send in his own night kill and I would just override it afterwards. He had no connection to me and rockin at all and with me and rockins constant bickering on D1 and D2 when and if I was lynched it would be really REALLY hard to draw a connection between one or the other. Omni used to hate that strategy I remember haha. Rockin was really good about night actions there was one or two times I don't remember the specifics of but he would correct me on details of the game I wasn't looking at and it would save a night action that might have cost us thegame. **** was perfect basically

Did ya win the game?

Umm...this is the weirdest one. I half did. I was mafia and we lost, but my night action made it so when and if I was lynched on only one day and it had to be the day I chose. I would flip as a vanilla townie and a completley different character...so in a sense by being lynched town and myself won the game.. don't get me wrong I count it as a loss but haha it was quite a fun lylo to see "KevinM Vanilla Townie has been lynched" Town Wins

Who are your favorite players among the old guard of Dgames?

Ahh man thats mean xD, well it would probably be Tom, Yedi, Frozen, Marshy and Evil Eye... they're the people I can talk to the most about things in my life outside of mafia.. plus they are just either people I've met at tournaments before or people I would like to meet soon :)

Who are your favorite players among the new guard of dgames?

Probably [Rockin], Cello, Mayling.. and I think thats all I really ever interacted with outside of even DGames itself haha. You guys are all p cool, even if I ***** you in smash pretty hard Rockin xD

How do you know that Rockin didn't just sandbagged you so as to make you full of yourself? :p

Nah not a chance

How do you avoid getting lynched as town?

I normally just try and redirect town to other scummy things that are actually worth taking a look at.. but I'm never town anymore so if and when they finally look at me they're usually right xD Though we did just win that last game as town and broke the town loss streak. SUCK IT FROZEN I GOT THERE FIRST hahaha. I never seem to actually get lynched as much as just considered every single day of the game hah.

Why you can't get Moriarty to Day 2?

Town is way to dumb.. man that **** gets me heated...seriously you're gonna have me and tom debating a game and KNOWING we're both town...and lynch us because our picture play is unorthodox. There is a discernable reason for posting our pictures and a lot of thought goes into why we're calling out certain posts. Plus votes are the most important part of a game and we use it to show our suspicions...but le sigh...we will never get past a d1 it looks like ahha

Swiss

Smash Lord
Who is the hardest player for you to read in mafia?

Marshy, he's just so concise and smart it drives me insane. of the newer players, probably Swiss but I don't think its a good thing he just plays antitown for the sake of playing anti town imo
I'd love for someone to actually explain this. Lots of people like to say it, and sure I like to chuck in WIFOM (that's null guys!), but I never play anti-town. Ever. Even when scum I play 'pro-town' as it were. I get asked a ******** question? I give a "I'm scum btw" reply. Because it's dumb as ****.

Ronike

Smash Ace
You missed rep Kev? It was definetely still here when I started, so it musta been just barely.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Vote: Frozen even though he won't give the interview for like 50 days

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Why you can't get Moriarty to Day 2?

Town is way to dumb.. man that **** gets me heated...seriously you're gonna have me and tom debating a game and KNOWING we're both town...and lynch us because our picture play is unorthodox. There is a discernable reason for posting our pictures and a lot of thought goes into why we're calling out certain posts. Plus votes are the most important part of a game and we use it to show our suspicions...but le sigh...we will never get past a d1 it looks like ahha
I was disappointed by this answer. I was expecting a picture.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Can we please get someone new in here for a change? Frozen is even gone for Spring Break, ffs.

Vote: Swiss

X1-12

Smash Champion
Yeah Rockin can we just Accept FF will win and we take whoever gets more votes out of Cello/Swiss and then just do FF's when he gets back?

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
This won't be a problem because Rockin won't do the interview for like a month.
>:(

Not true. I'll do it as soon as possible. It's just that Macman decided to give me a hard time >>

anyway, pick whoever ya are going to pick. If they can't be interviewed at the time, I'll do the same thing what I did to macman: get his 3 picks and have ya vote so as to focus on them while I try and get the former to interview.

Really, I don't want to constantly rely on people PMing me the interview answers. Pick whoevever ya pick. Don't blame me if the said interviewer is inactive. >>

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
wat u mean I see 5 votes for Swiss : [

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
i remember something being said about FF being away on vacation.

we should do swiss in the meantime and get ff when he gets back

Top Bottom