• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Just FYI, the web hosting set me back $50, so there'll be periodic collections and/or skimming from the top of the venue fee to pay for that.

Otherwise, enjoy. :)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
This weekend's monthly is using a slightly different ruleset, here's a copypasta from facebook.

So, I NEED SETUPS FROM PEOPLE. We're going to have like 5 or 6 projectors available, so if we want this to run as smoothly as possible, please bring a Wii and Brawl, hacked for replays if possible.

Now, with that said, here's the ruleset, tweaks will be outlined specifically at the bottom, and are also indicated in RED.

[collapse=General Rules]
General Rules
-------------
2 Stock
6 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets are best 3 of 5 matches. Bracket Finals and Grand Finals are Best 4 of 7.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. In teams, each players stock/percent is added together.

* Resolving Ties: If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously (Causing Sudden Death. If you Dedede/Ganoncide/Kirbycide/ANYTHINGCIDE and you LOSE, that is the result. Be aware of the risk.), there will be a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by ONE ROUND of Rock-Paper-Scissors. In teams, controller ports shall be used in a 1221 fashion. In addition, a player may request a specific port on their counterpick.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Stalling is banned. Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while using an infinite to run out the timer rather than to score a KO is. As such, any infinite chain-grabs, locks, etc. cannot exceed 300%. IDC IS ALSO BANNED.

* Any action which prevents the game from continuing (i.e. by causing the game to crash or causing all characters to freeze indefinitely) is banned. If the Tournament Organizer or a judge can conclusively determine the player responsible for the failure, that player loses the interrupted game. Players are expected to know their characters and prevent this from happening.

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players. (Dave's Stupid Rule)

Set Format
----------
1. Opponents make their character select screen choices for the first match, DOUBLE BLIND PICKS OPTIONAL.

2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure. The stage striking order changes depending on the number of stages allowed. When reading this order, “1” is player 1 and “2” is player 2. The optimal striking orders are as follows: 9 Stages: 1-1-1-2-2-2-2-1 (Read: Player 1 strikes 3, P2 strikes 4, then P1 picks the last stage)

3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.

4. The winner of the previous match announces his 2 stage bans.

5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.

6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.

7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Stage List]
Stage List

Starter:

Battlefield
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium 2

Counterpick:

Delfino Plaza
Luigi's Mansion
Pirate Ship
Brinstar
Final Destination
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Green Greens
Distant Planet
Port Town Aero Dive
----------------------------------------
[/collapse]

Ok, so the changes to be aware of:

We're running TWO STOCKS, SIX MINUTES.

Accordingly, regular sets are now 3/5, Finals are now 4/7.

The Controller port rule has been SLIGHTLY modified:

"* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by ONE ROUND of Rock-Paper-Scissors. In teams, controller ports shall be used in a 1221 fashion. In addition, a player may request a specific port on their counterpick."

Frigate Orpheon has replaced Final Destination in the starter stage list. FD has been moved to a counter-pick.
------------------------------------------------

Reasons for any of these changes will be provided upon request. Everything I do has a reason behind it. xD

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That's nice. :)

But it's contrary to anything the game displays as a result, and makes little sense to arbitrarily award the Dedede in that situation. At best the Dedede wins because the game says so, it goes to a one-stock rematch (average case), or he loses because the game said so. (worst case)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Bowser can jump out of his suicide move, so that one's irrelevant.

Kirby was an accidental omission, and should be included with Dededecide. My mistake.

Rule has now been appended to include the ANYTHINGCIDE case.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
the best kirby in ottawa says its pretty much impossible to kirby cide because of the slow fall speed during inhale. as for dddcide, not sure why the rule is the way it is, but i personally think all cases should be one stock rematch regardless of the results screen. (i'll take this moment to mention that i used a ddd-cide to win a game in tourney against this kirby, despite losing the set 2-1)

from a spectators point of veiw though, dddcide-ing should favour the ddd because it gives the appearance of ddd pwning the opponent to end the match. (this is especially the case with ganon since he chockslams the opponent downwards with ganon on top, pinning the opponent)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'll just smile and nod, and hope you know how anti-competitive that spectator reasoning is. :)

The reason Dedede doesn't automatically win is because he SHOULDN'T, unless he actually SURVIVES the move. (Game says he wins) At best, he's allowed to tie.

Knowing you might lose is a risk you take when you attempt the maneuver. If you really want to be sure, make sure you're a stock up. :p

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
i don't think that comment necessarily makes my point a write-off though, especially considoring its a rule here.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Then I'll ask you, Malcolm.

Why should Dedede/Kirby/whoever win, unless the game says he does? Because it looks cool? Because it's "honorable"?

Why should Dedede win regardless of the game's judgement?

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
Then I'll ask you, Malcolm.

Why should Dedede/Kirby/whoever win, unless the game says he does? Because it looks cool? Because it's "honorable"?

Why should Dedede win regardless of the game's judgement?

like i said before, i think it should be a one-stock rematch regardless of what the end match game screen. i suppose i could use your own question against you and ask why should ddd lose?

all i was staing was that dddciding gives the appearance of victory, yet the game somewhat randomly draws its own conclusion. to which you say not a valid argument (in different words). considoring the the randomness of the results screen in these cases i beleive there should be a rule in place for standardizing purposes. so why should that favour a person using the move? well the point of smash bros is to defeat the opponent by knocking them off the screen. i think the person initiating the suicide move does a better job of meeting that objective then the helpless sap being attacked.

again my opinion is for a 1-stock rematch, but to call it an automatic loss for the person using the move is an unjust rule that you just decided on what seems to be a whim. i really just want to emphasize that because the result screen is random when it comes to double ko's a standard practice should be in place.

Croi

Smash Lord
The only one that should really count as a victory for the -icider is Ganoncide.

Reasons:
1) An opponent can wriggle free from Kirby or DDD, but not from Ganon. Because the kill is a definite thing, it should therefore be in Ganon's favour, even if somehow the game is janky enough to decide that he lost.
2) It's Ganondorf. It should practically be a reward for anybody with the balls to go as Ganondorf in a serious tournament match.
3) Holy **** did you see how ****ing manly that **** was, he grabbed them by the throat and slammed them into the abyss, goddamn

camden

Smash Apprentice
God damn it.
Score one for me. No worries, I sub your stuff on YouTube.

The only one that should really count as a victory for the -icider is Ganoncide.

Reasons:
1) An opponent can wriggle free from Kirby or DDD, but not from Ganon. Because the kill is a definite thing, it should therefore be in Ganon's favour, even if somehow the game is janky enough to decide that he lost.
2) It's Ganondorf. It should practically be a reward for anybody with the balls to go as Ganondorf in a serious tournament match.
3) Holy **** did you see how ****ing manly that **** was, he grabbed them by the throat and slammed them into the abyss, goddamn
I actually agree with this.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1

Reasons:
wouldnt the fact that the opponent can wriggle free contribute to saying that the win should go to kirby/DDD?

i agree with the ganondorf statements, but since the opponent can escape (at least at lower percents) then it's entirely up to them if to get out of it before both chars die. if they're at a too high percent, or if DDD's fat-@$$ falling speed is too much for them, i say too bad.

i'm for suicide-moves to be a win for the initiator, but i'm more of a fan of old school stuffz

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I know I'm not part of your guys' scene (though I will be up to visit in the summer for a tournament), but I thought maybe I'd give some input on the whole "icides" rules.

I hosted a regional in November last year, and what we did was we declared that "Bowser/Ganon/Kirby/DDD suicide attacks. If these moves are used to end a match and a sudden death is then started. Bowser/Ganon/DDD/Kirby will be declared the winners."

I did want to note though that I think Ganondorf has a chance of actually y'know, WINNING with his (as in, he gets the win screen). I think that's what DLA told me when it happened at my tournament.

Just my two cents, though I think the BBR now goes along with the whole "1 stock rematch" thing.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
The tournament went well on our end. And yeah, he does look kinda like me. >_>

Scary coincidence.

I ended up taking second, losing in Game 4 of Set 2 of Grand Finals. ALMOST brought it back. xD

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
huge props to nick for knocking down both brawl and melee singles. such a beast, he might have gotten 1st at all three if parker could've gone.

from what i saw from the late dubs matches/GFs, you guys have all improved a ton, keep it up dudes. jesse is on his way to the top :) :) :)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lamb was super legit. It could be possible he is the best pika in Canada, although he'd have to travel to make that official, but he's definitely good.

Top Bottom