• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Smashboards Username:pink Reaper
Region:West Coast
Primary Character(s):Kirby, Falcon
Secondary Character(s):Fox, Pikachu

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A.3 years

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A.Uhh, it fluctuates. In 2009 i went to all but one major WC tournament as well as a handful of smaller tournaments, in 2010, I only went to 2. Work > Melee, I have bills. My local scene doesnt exist, there's like 4 of us and it's 250+ miles in any direction to get to an actual scene.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A.Beginner

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A.Not at all. Because im a nameless Kirby player.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A.I tried to be in the MBR but as I found leading a discussion is hard when no one wants to do anything.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A.Not a TO, though i have a lot of experience with how tournaments are run and how rulings should be enforced because i spent 2 years as a judge for major YGO tournaments in SoCal. Yeah it's nerdy but shut up i like childrens card games
on motorcycles

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A.That's subjective. In terms of a combination of results and potential it's pretty accurate but there's still too much outlier influence.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A.Again, subjective. "Fair" depends on what you want your stage list to be. If it were "absolutely no outside interference whatsoever" then no, it's not fair. Only FD and Battlefield have no actual outside influence on a match so realistically the most "Fair" stage list in that case would be those two stages. But again it's subjective because if you take match ups into account suddenly FD becomes highly game changing. I personally feel a stage list should be on the opposite extreme of the spectrum, not banning anything unless absolutely necessary and to remove high random factors. Diversity helps to expand interest. Also Onett is the best stage ever and should be neutral.

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A.It's definitely fair, it has Meta Knight banned, proving that we have the balls to do what the BBR wont. I will say something i didnt propose when i had the chance was that major tournaments with more than one round of pools should increase the amount of games per set in bracket. I agree with the europeans with the idea of Bo5 and Bo7's

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. This is a dumb question and you know it. Both are extremely important and the only times one outweighs the other is in very character specific situations.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A.Again, very character and match up specific. See above.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A.Melee definitely has a limited lifespan. As much as people like to pretend melee will last forever the amount of new players we have compared to the players we're losing is minuscule. People who like to compare Melee to Street Fighter forget that for the most part SF sequels draw a lot of attention to all of the games and that they have a central sponsor to keep it going. Melee has neither. And if anyone brings up StarCraft, aka, the game that is BIGGER THAN THE SUPER BOWL you are ********.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A.Sponsorships are important, as is a central circuit. With both you can get a stable community with advertising to draw new players in. Very difficult though.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A.The MBR is home to nearly every major tournament organizer in the community. If a central circuit can be established it would have to be from the MBR. A grassroots circuit might be possible, as well as national power rankings. I'll flesh out the idea later maybe.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A.I'd like to think I've proven myself as a levelheaded debater from my time in the MBR but it's entirely possible im not in which case ARRRRRRRRRRRRRH LET ME IN :mad:

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: I've read it, agree with it mostly but it's hard to properly adapt to melee. Melee has an ill defined idea of what stalling actually is so Playing to Win in the most extreme condition may or may not result in a loss just depending on who the TO is.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:
I honestly wish the MBR leaders had actually discussed this with us before the mass purging. Im already weary of whether i want to be in the MBR any more when 4 people in a locked room can decide everything for a room of what is supposed to be equals. I shouldnt have to fill out an application just to discuss the application. Moreso this actual application has problems with it, both with the actual questions and what information is gained from it. I would have LOVED to have discussed this before it went out but it's too late now.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
@Strong Bad: Ohhhhh lol. Ya that ish is fail.

@Pink Reaper: The restructure was posted like 2 weeks ago in the MBR. The whole point of that was to give everyone a chance to voice complaints.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
okay here goes!

Smashboards Username: Mokumo, but I always sign up as "Relax" when I attend tournaments/fests
Region: Boston/NE
Primary Character(s): Captain Falcon
Secondary Character(s): Fox, a little bit of Falco, maybe some Marth/Sheik

REQUIRED

A. I went to my first tournament three years ago (2008), but I've been practicing my technical skill/lurking smashboards since maybe 2006 or so.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I attend local tournaments as much as I can, as school permits me to. I also don't have a car so I always have to bum rides off people. Since I've been going to tournaments for a few years now people in my region recognize me and know me by my tag (relax). I tend to place around top 10 or 15 at the mass madness tournaments. I've been to a few out of state tournaments but they have all still been in the New England area.

Sadly, I haven't been to any national tournaments. The biggest tournament i even went to was one of Spawn's tournaments called Bullheaded Onchynyms (sp). it was two day tournament and was a blast. I played great players there for the first time like Jman, Mew2king, Cactuar, and way, way more people. It really opened my eyes up to the whole scene and I got so much better at smash just from those two days. I would LOVE to attend a national tournament someday and it's definitely on my bucket list.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. I would say I'm average. A lot of people in my region say I have a lot of potential/i get better every time they play me, but if that were so true I would be way better than i am. I think if i work really hard and practice/play other people more maybe I can reach the "high level" calibur of play.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. Yes. I've talked to players like ZoSo and Thorn about being in the MBR and they've told me that i'm not an idiot and that I would be able to contribute to some intelligent discussion in the MBR. Maybe they would even repeat that if i reminded them =P

A. I suppose I can be a discussion leader if the discussion is about a topic that i am interested in or passionate about. despite that, I am definitely a discussion contributer and i try to make every post count.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. I'm not a TO but i've given the idea some thought before. I almost held a tournament in Somerville, Mass, but it didn't end up happening because the venue shut down. I feel like I contribute to my local scene not only by attending tournaments but by bringing my friends. Sometimes, the people i bring are total noobs but by exposing them to the smash scene I'm spreading the word and getting people into the game.

A. Sure! I like the way the high tiers are set up right now and I think it reflect the current metagame among the highest ranked players in the world. I think there might still be some discrepancies over the mid/lower tiers, mainly because not as many people play them and aren't familiar with the matchups. Despite that, I agree with the current tier list more than any of the earlier ones.

A. Yes. I'm glad that pokemon stadium isn't banned because that's one of my favorite stages. I know that it is really unfair/in favor of characters like fox but i never thought it should be flat out banned. All of the other neutral stages are perfect, of course. I think there should be more discussion about allowing more counterpick stages, although I understand the arguments against the stages that are currently banned.
I also like the current "2-1-2" stage striking system, although I don't really mind just striking one stage and hitting random. >.>

A. Yes. The rules are crystal clear. especially the last one haha
See what I said in the last question about the stage striking system.

A. What does strategy matter when you don't have the tech skill to do the things that your thinking about?
And what does tech skill matter if you aren't able to properly read your opponent?
This is a good question and I feel like I should carefully word my answer because the proper response to this one in particular can really separate the smart people from the not so smart people. It goes along with the tech skill vs. mindgames debate. the fact is, they both go hand in hand and are both extremely important to being a good (or even average) player.
I like tech skill though, just because its flashy ;)

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. I would say initiating punishments because I have an easier time combos. I practice combos all day against computers and against college noobs. Initiating punishments and capitalizing on your opponents mistake is a skill that comes ONLY from playing good players. Besides, how can you start a combo without hitting them first?

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. i hope not! i'm 21 and i have no plans on quitting. I know a lot of people that play this game are around my age. Some are older and some are younger, but there are new people getting into the competitive scene all the time.

A. In my local area, it would be to have more tournaments. Actually, I think the best solution overall is to have more tournaments. I think brawl is important too. I don't like brawl that much, but I think that is like the gateway drug of super smash brothers. Most people will want to get the newest game first and once they get into the competitive scene of brawl they might encounter melee for the first time. a TON of people have switched from brawl to melee after seeing melee played at a high level.

A. keep on keeping on! and never say things are etched in stone. It was really dumb a tier list or two ago when they said it was the FINAL tier list. I hope a mistake like that won't be made again.
I'm really interested in all the recent idea/breakthroughs that our community has thought of. in particular hacking and match casting. i'm a fan of starcraft, and I would love to contribute to some melee match casting. But how could the MBR help? I think they could help by having actual intelligent discussion about it (just look at what the original thread had turned into) and putting forth some official and professional commentaries.

A. I think about ssbm all the time. While I may not be a super good player, I am able to think and talk about smash theory with players that are much better than me. I ask smart questions. I'm friendly, and I try not to start stupid arguments over nothing - i would rather contribute my own knowledge instead of question the validity/intelligence of my fellow smashers. I also know when i'm in over my head. if i DO get accepted and I feel like this isn't for me, I wont just stop posting or just act like an idiot in the backroom, i'll simply ask to leave. I don't think that's going to happen though.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12185734#post12185734
i. Description: i put the wrong link for the youtube video, haha, so here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcjcNcHYgGY

the focus of the discussion was on baiting (hence of the name of the thread), and the link i gave is a superb example of a very pro bait -> own. hax ends up taking the stock after a very good waveland.
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12118466#post12118466
i. Description: some relatively basic discussion about falcon combos vs marth. earlier in the thread (just a page before), i asked a pretty good question about keeping up combos against marth at mid percent if they DI falcon's uair away. it prompted some pretty intelligent responses.
3. Link:
i. Description:
4. Link:
i. Description:
5. Link:
i. Description:

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: Dr. Peepee
i. Reason: Almost every single post this guy makes is so intelligent and thoughtful. I don't even play falco but I read his discussion thread all the time.
2. Player: Mew2king
i. Reason: Have you read his statistics and mind-boggling analyses that he made back around 2005? I have. That alone is worth putting him on this list, but his contributions go so much further than that.
3. Player: Mango
i. Reason: This might be a little controversial, and I had to take the time to decide who exactly to put as my #3 MVP (most valuable poster). Despite the broken language, his jigglypuff guide is simply amazing and one of the best. Remember when he made a thread in almost every character forum about asking him how to play that character? A lot of people got pissed about it, but the thing is he was able to help people out!

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer:
Yes. I agree. I think I can talk about Hungrybox's playstyle to answer this question. At first, i thought the whole thing was pretty gay. Face it, he plays really gay. But isn't that why he's so good? I think it's safe to say all of the really good players play gay, and the fact that they know how to is the reason why they are so good. I'm pretty much over with hungrybox playing gay, he's just playing to win and that's what you have to do if you want to be the best of the best.
I remember when someone from the street fighter community mentioned that people knew a new technique was discovered when people began to complain/john about a game. Fighting games are ALL ABOUT playing to win, and a ton of fighters rely on infinites and other gay **** that people hate dealing with in smash. It all just comes down to playing to win and if people didn't do it our community would be filled with scrubs.

it would be an honor to be a member of the backroom. i think the main reasons why i wouldn't get in would be because of my lack of significant contributions (guides and such) and relatively small amount of posts. Both of these would change if i got in. thanks for reading my app and considering me!

:cool::cool::cool:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'd assume making copious amounts of bad posts contributes to not being accepted <_<

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Apologies about any formatting oddities. I blame Notepad.

Smashboards Username: Fly_Amanita
Region: Socal
Primary Character(s): Ice Climbers
Secondary Character(s): Peach/Sheik

REQUIRED

A. I've been active in Socal's Melee scene since late 2007.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your
local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I attend tournaments quite frequently and am hence very familiar with my
own region. More generally speaking, I know the WC pretty well and am also
decently familiar with Europe/Japan.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current
metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. These labels aren't well-defined and are thus not very meaningful.
If I have to pick something, "high level" has a nice ring to it and it sounds like
something that might fit my skill level.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you
being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. Yes, because I think they perceive me to be a reasonable guy who knows a
fair bit about SSBM.

A. No, I don't like leading discussions. I generally prefer to form my own
views on whatever the topic is and will typically only express said views if
something similar hasn't been said yet or if somebody explicitly requests to
know what my thoughts on the matter are.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent
tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you
contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. I don't host tournaments. I contribute to my scene by trying to help
local players improve; admittedly, I only tend to this when they explicitly
ask to play me, but I notice that the players who do contact me about playing
are always the ones who do genuinely strive to get better, and I'd rather not
spend time trying to help people who don't really care about improvement, so
this works out well.

A. It's accurate in that it is supposed to represent how likely characters
are to succeed in tournaments in the current metagame, and the list we have
is at least somewhat consistent with current tourney results. That is this
accurate might just be coincidental, as I think people tend to vote on tier
lists in accordance with whatever nebulous notion of "good" they have in
their head, but conveniently, lots of different notions of "good" lead to
very similar lists.

A. What "fair" means in this context is really vague. I'm going to guess you
mean something like "promotes character variety", in which case my answer is
sure, because I'm content with the number of characters viable on any given
legal stage in the current stage list. I also echo the sentiments at the end
of my response to question #9 here.

A. If by "fair", you mean something like "does not reward degenerate
strategies", then sure. We don't see degenerate strategies dominate
tournaments. However, plenty of other rulesets are similarly "fair", and
whether are not we can significantly improve upon (in some sense of "improve"
that I'll leave ill-defined at the moment) the currently used ruleset is a
much more interesting question, but you conveniently omitted that here!

A. If by "what is more important to you," you mean "Which skill do I value
more", than the answer is easily strategy. I view tech skill as an
incredibly dull aspect of a game, and if anything, requiring much of it is a
negative trait rather than a positive one, as obtaining good tech skill boils
down to practice and memorization rather than analyzing something
conceptually difficult. Strategy, on the other hand, is why I play this
game. I love the decision-making in SSBM; there are plenty of interesting
and difficult questions one can ask about succeeding at Melee, and being able
to tackle these sorts of questions is a skill that I find much more
interesting.

On the other hand, if by "what is more important to you," you mean something
like "which is more important to your performance as a player," than my
boring answer is that I need both to succeed and prioritizing one over the
other offers no useful insight.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or
Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. I'm going to first assume that you mean something like "Which of these two
skills do I find more interesting." In this case, I'm partial to going with
"initiating punishments" since I love the positioning aspect of SSBM and
landing the first hit is often a consequence of controlling space better than
the opponent. I still love Melee's combo system, though; actually, it's more
accurate to say that I love the DI mechanism and Melee's interesting combo
system is a consequence of that. In any case, both skills presented here are
definitely ones that I value and that I prefer initiating punishments is
largely a matter of personal preference.

On the other hand, if you mean "which is more important to me as a player,"
than I have to go with "maximizing punishments." Why? I play Ice Climbers;
I'm content with not landing the first hit as long as the net rate at which I
kill the opponent is faster than the rate at which they kill me, and my
character(s) does the whole fast-killing thing as well as any other.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to
its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. There are plenty of factors that limit Melee's lifespan. For some crude
upper bounds, the number of decent Melee discs and good-quality GCN
controllers is always shrinking, and both of these are important to the
community unless they can handle some big changes.* A likely-more-important
difficulty is bringing in new players. As the game gets older, attracting
new competitors becomes more difficult. I actually still see new faces pop
up decently often, so I think it'll be a few more years before this issue
really starts to become a serious threat, but it is something worth stressing
about.

*This will probably never have to happen, but people could at least partially
avert the supply issue via emulated Melee and gamepads other than the usual
GCN controllers, although I'd be really surprised/impressed if the Melee
scene lasts long enough for this to be a necessary course of action.

A. Expanding the community requires attracting and sustaining interest in the
game. Attracting interest is easy enough (word of mouth, fliers for
tourneys, etc.), but keeping people interested is more difficult. Being
polite and encouraging to new players definitely helps, but I don't know how
many people would be willing to stick with the game if they don't notice
immediate improvement.

A. Regarding keeping current players excited about the game: just regularly
releasing content on what's going in the world of Melee, thoughts about the
game from high-level players, discussions on controversial topics, and the
like should be able to help. Maybe for the newer players, we could do
something like have current high-level players reflect on their earlier days
and how they overcame difficulties then, and maybe releasing some general
improvement guides could aid.

A. In spite of my aforementioned quiet nature, I do like talking about SSBM
and I know quite a bit about it, so I'd be happy to contribute to
publications on the theory of the game. To toot my horn a bit (this is an
application, after all!), I do think I am very level-headed, very aware of
what assumptions I am making at any given time, and am generally good at
noticing issues pertaining to precision and well-definedness.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the
melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued
here.

I don't particularly like most of my posts, but for reference, here's

something I made quite a while ago:
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256008
i. Description: This is an old post I made on thinking mid-match. There are
a few claims in there I no longer completely agree with, but I think it's a
decent post nonetheless.

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or
have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think
they are a good example.

Most of the players I would suggest have already been recommended plenty of
times, but here's a guy whom I think could have some good insight.
1. Player: Bizzarro Flame
i. Reason: I thought of Bizz when answering question #13 because he has a lot
of experience dealing with new players at Merced. He could probably provide
really solid input on expanding the Melee community. He's also generally a
reasonable guy and is a solid Melee player.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or
disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee
community?
1. Answer: Yes, I'm very familiar with Sirlin, as I frequent his site and
have his book. I'm hesitant to make a blanket claim about how his theories
(if you can even call them his, as many of the ideas he presents date from
milennia ago) apply to the Melee scene as he's presented plenty of distinct
ideas, but for the most part, yes, they are very clearly applicable. For
example, everything about how one should "play to win" is very sensible and
should be accepted in just about any large competitive gaming community. His
ideas about banning things should be approached with more caution here; Melee
is a game with lots and lots of options, and consequently there are likely
very many different games that are legitimately decent for competition that
could be crafted from said options. The one that differs from the default
settings the least is not necessarily (and I'd say almost certainly not) the
most interesting game we could be playing.

voorhese

Smash Master
Here is my application, hope it gets me somewhere =)

Username: jason_voorhese329
Region: Midwest
Primary Character(s): Fox/Falco
Secondary Character(s):puff/Peach/Marth/Sheik

REQUIRED

A. I have been playing Competetive smash since sometime in 2008 (when i first attended the super smash battle opera tournament series (hosted by cunningkitsune))

A. I like to attend tourneys as much as i possible can seeing as how my hometown has like 1 other player, and he doesnt play often. i would say it averages once every 3-4 weeks. I am my local scene, My regional scene i would actually consider both the ssbo and the illinois tourneys, because both scenes have traveled to eachothers tourneys, and so have I. As for nationals, I follow every big tourney via live stream if possible, and i even followed a couple "play by plays", i feel like i know the top players, and sort of how they play, but until i actually get to to play them, I wont know for sure of course.

A. Because my area doesnt really have any players, my matchup experience and general mindset for the game, in terms of understanding the players thoughts is average, but on the otherhand my tech skill is very sharp, and advanced (because I can practice tech skill, with out the aid of experienced players)

A. I think most of the purdue players, such as cunningkitsune, little england, lanceinthepants, fro', etc would all support my decision of trying to gain back room membership, because i cannot play other players very often, and some information that will help me further my skill in understanding the metagame will be there for me to gain.

A. A discussion leader....In my local area, I can explain what seems like a lot of the game to people, but there is always a new theory waiting around the corner, that is huge. I would consider myself just part of the discussion just as anyone else.

A. I am not as of yet a TO, i have hosted 2 tourneys, but the attendance was very poor. I am planning on hosting more, and i have a venue already picked out. I have taught all of my local scene basically everything they know, and have inspired them to reach for success, i have one particular friend that i team with everytime we attend a tourney together, even though we have a rough time.

A. I do, but in a way i dont feel like the popularity of the character helps determine the tier list enough. The tier list just feels like the top 5-7 fluctuate 1-2 places everytime a new one comes out, and thats fine because they are all so close.

A. Yes, I personally hate FoD and i have even tried to get it banned (it is banned in 2's cuz of the reflection, and i think that if u had IC dittos, it should lag also). But other than that the stages are fine with me.

A. Yes, i agree with it, but i am planning on experimenting with the hybrid bracket format in my tourneys, because you have a more fair time, like if ur good at every matchup except vs Peach or something, you can play 1 peach and 2 spacies, and you would get 2nd seed and move on, it would take the luck of the bracket down a bit, and bring the skill of the player more into effect.

A. hmmm, I have all the tech I need, for 2 reasons; I cant practice strats where I, and 2 when you 1st start all you can see when u watch vids is tech skill. As of now tho, i beleive strats are more important.

A. This is a hard question for me, but I have to say initiating a punishment is more important, mainly cuz getting the 1st hit is the begining of the "hard punish" and with a character like fox there is more than 1 way to skin a cat, so the hard punish would be easier than getting it started.

A. 1st LOL, second I will personally play melee, until i cant find another copy (and even then i could just burn it onto a disc..) so no i dont think it will die any time soon, and if it does it will be because they remake melee, i dont mean make another smash, i mean remake MELEE, as a whole.

A. Live streams always being up, self commentary about matches, imo would spark intrest, like when u 1st watched deathnote (if you have), when u see the thought behind it, its done...you are hooked.

A. Do what i am trying to do right now, let people who arent amazing into the back room, to help us learn more about it.

A. 1 more oppinion is always a good thing, and i may not be the smartest player ever, but i do have some good ideas, and oppinions.

OPTIONAL

Sorry, i cannot think of a specific post or anything like that, I feel like i may have added some information to players specifically, that has helped them do better in tourneys.

1. Player: cunningkitsune
i. Reason: his fox guide is one of the best guides over anything i have ever read personally, and he has influenced myself, as well as ALL of the purdue crew

2. Player: zelgadis
i. Reason: This man, got me into the game, honestly i saw shine blind and was like WOW imma play that game. so he himself helped the community i think by just purely drawing attention to it

3. Player: M2K
i. Reason: M2K was one of the players that helped give the metagame the push out of the ken/isai days (which where not bad by any stretch of the imagination), and helped the community as a whole in a way similar to zelgadis, except for the mental aspects of the game.

1. Answer: http://www.sirlin.net/archive/playing-to-win-part-1/ is not available to me now, So I cant say i have read them, or anything like that, but from how it sounds i can say; that if you play to win you will learn more about the game, and take it deeper than someone who just plays for fun will. The goal of course would be winning, and you would use all you had to win, whether or not it would be fun or boring. BUT also if all you do is play to win, and dont make money from it (or win) then the game would become more and more boring as time went on, so you would have to play for fun with friends and while practicing etc.

I really hope i can join the melee back room, and I very soon (next school year) i will be at purdue, where i can play with more experienced players, and i will understand a lot more of the game =)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Smashboards Username: Strong Bad
Primary Character(s): Donkey Kong, Fox
Secondary Character(s): Marth

REQUIRED

A. I began playing "competitive Melee" (L-canceling & wavedashing playing with a friend in my town) near the end of 2007, however the first tournament I attended (and thus the first time I was really exposed to the competitive metagame outside of videos) was in October, 2008.

A. There are rarely tournaments I'm able to attend, but I do attend free basement tourneys usually once a month in my area. I attended Pound 5, two Event-52 events, and two other local tournaments. I know everyone in the my local scene. The Midwest is kind of spread out and I don't get to attend tournaments often, so I only know people in my region from Pound 5/Event 52's and reading tournament results threads. I follow the national/international scene pretty closely, I'd say.

A. I believe I'm still only an average/mid-level player.

A. The answer to this question depends, honestly. The Midwest is very widespread, so several people in the region don't even know me, however the people in the local area I think would support it because I am knowledgeable and because of my involvement in Project M (which my crew, completely Melee-playing, enjoys!). I think some people in my region may misjudge me and wouldn't support me being a member of the MBR, however that is their decision to make.

A. I do not. I'm not good at "leading" a discussion; I'm better at contributing to a discussion in a variety of ways, but as far as beginning and keeping a discussion "on track" I lack experience. As far as bringing new ideas to the table, though, I'm always up for it.

A. No.
I think being there in and of itself helps. A community can't thrive without people, and being one of those people helps! Additionally, I always help out dmac whenever he wants frame data info haha. Otherwise, I suppose I don't contribute all too much by comparison.

A. I think that this question is a bit ambiguous. The current tier list puts too much emphasis on player opinion, and while I'm one who prefers to take into account character ability than player ability (i.e. tournament results), since it's supposed to be a listing of character effectiveness, not characters who have good players using them, I'm not sure just player opinion is enough. An accurate match-up chart factoring into it would be a good start, but that's difficult to make with the lack of knowledge on low-tiered match-ups.

A. Rainbow Cruise, while not random in any way, is far too game-changing in favor of characters such as Fox and Marth to be in the stage list. Brinstar is borderline; I feel it helps lower-tiered characters more than it helps the likes of Fox and Falco, outside of perhaps Jigglypuff. Otherwise I think it's pretty good; the decision to move Pokemon Stadium to CP to make way for stage striking was probably the best move I've seen in stage lists. Of course, "fair" isn't really a measurable quality, but with the ever-so wonderful stages that Melee came with we've had to make do.

A. While the idea of "fair" is entirely subjective, I feel that the current ruleset is about as "fair" as the game is going to get, since it in most cases guarantees that the better player wins. Banning Meta-Knight was probably the best decision so far IMO.

A. Strategy. Strategy, strategy, strategy. While both are important, as I'd rather not have my strategy hindered by my inability to perform it, I prefer to develop my strategy and then learn the technical skill in order to perform it. Additionally, a strategy can be far superior to another one even if it's less technical. Therefore, developing a good strategy is the more important of the two.

A. This is match-up dependent I'd say, and both are clearly important in their own respects, but in broad terms Initiating Punishments is more important. Floatier match-ups depend on First Hits far more than other match-ups, and in using Donkey Kong I've learned that being able to get a grab at high level play isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world, so first hitting with Back-Air... repeatedly... has been pretty important to my play.

A. I think its time is finite because people aren't immortal. We can make it last for decades to come, though, if we step up as a community. As it is now, tournament quality and attendance is slowly deteriorating, and it's not just going to stop doing that by itself.

A. We definitely need to reach out to new players more than we do. I think some of the attitudes portrayed by smashers in YouTube comments or even here on SWF aren't reflective of our attitude in person and at tournaments, and I think that needs to change, because this community is amazing in person.

A. I think there should definitely be more involvement by the MBR with various aspects of the community. The examples listed in the first post of this thread is in the direction of what I'm getting at, particularly Community Interface/Realtime Q&A, and the TO rules (Resonsibility). I think if the MBR set some standards for running tournaments, tournament quality would improve, and thus the community would be more likely to thrive.

A. I have the ability to offer insight into a lesser played character (i.e. Donkey Kong) and I also have a fair bit of knowledge on frame data and such. I speak to Magus420 often and I'm constantly learning obscure things about the Melee engine! :D

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12275407#post12275407
i. Description: Donkey Kong hitbox data. Useful in a variety of ways from fighting DK to using DK.

2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11739650#post11739650
i. Description: I made this post in December in reference to the DK vs. Peach match-up, however this mindset can be used against all characters. I think this post epitomizes how I play this game and recommend others to; play the player and not the character, and don't autopilot.

3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11032764#post11032764
i. Description: Some thoughts on the counterpick process (as in, how the player should decide his counterpick) specifically as Fox.

4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10870990#post10870990
i. Description: A post about the Fox vs. Peach match-up offering some advice. Later down the page is another post by me with some more information. On the next page RaynEX affirms my advice. :p

5. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298339
i. Description: A short guide on optimal DI against Captain Falcon =P

1. Player: KishPrime
i. Reason: The MELEE-FC series of tournaments was a premiere tournament series in the Midwest and the best of its kind.

2. Player: AXE
i. Reason: Watching Axe play is very inspiring for many low-tier players. What he's been able to accomplish through hard work with Pikachu is leagues above the accomplishments of most smashers with any character. He's also one of the nicest smashers I've ever played. This guy will 3-stock you and then afterward sincerely praise you in how well you took off that one stock. Playing & talking to him was definitely one of the highlights of Pound 5; he inspired me to keep playing and I don't even main Pikachu!

3. Player: Cactuar
i. Reason: Posts like this and this, being especially friendly to newbies/lower leveled players by comparison to other top/high level players, being Cactus. Cactuar played friendlies with me for an hour instead of with players like RaynEX/Darkrain/Lambchopz at my first ever tournament. If that isn't outstanding, I don't know what is.

1. Answer: Yes, I have. I agree in most respects. The idea of the game is to win, so why not play in a manner that contributes toward winning? Yet at the same time, there is much to be gained from "Playing to Learn" which is how I view the game in most atmospheres. Additionally, I feel that strategies such as ledge-stalling are detrimental to the community's ability to grow, despite its advantages in tournament. Such a game-breaking strategy isn't present in other fighting games so it's far easier to apply "Play to Win" to them; in most cases though I think it's very applicable to Melee outside of learning.

I was conflicted, personally, when I heard of this opportunity. On one hand, I've always wanted to be a Melee Back Room member because I feel that I have a lot to contribute. On the other hand, I feel that there is so much more for me to learn about this game, as I'm still constantly learning, and I don't know if I'm knowledgeable enough to contribute as much as I'd like. On the other other hand, being in the MBR would likely be an excellent learning experience, as reading the pinnacle of competitive discussion would no doubt be very enlightening.

If I'm rejected, if it isn't too much to ask, I'd like to request some suggestions on how to "improve my chances," for lack of a better way of putting it. This is because I highly value my intellect and even if I don't make it into the MBR, this is an excellent opportunity to find out in what areas I am lacking in the MBR's eyes.

All in all, this application has been a mentally stimulating one to fill out, and I feel that even if I don't get accepted, I've already learned a bit about myself and this game just from thinking about my responses. So I'd like to thank the people behind this application, because it was enjoyable to fill out. :)

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I've never read Sirlin's theories. Can someone please link me? I googled and searched here and didn't find anything :(

I plan on filling this out over the next few days :)

Eggm

Smash Hero
Smashboards Username: Eggm
Region: Beast Coast
Primary Character(s): Fox, Falco
Secondary Character(s): Yoshi, Sheik

REQUIRED

A. Early 2006.

A. Almost every weekend. Extremely familiar. Pretty familiar. I don’t know really much past Armada, amsah, and Calle W (that falco player) being top 3.

A. Somewhere between high level and pro. I consider a pro some one who consistently makes money at nationals. I make money at nationals but not consistently so somewhere between high level and pro seems best fitting.

A. Probably not but who knows. I don’t have the best reputation as a poster on smashboards.

A. No I would rather just put my two cents in if I felt like I have a good point or counterargument in a current discussion to help the discussion along.

A. I was I hosted about 7 or 8 Tunes monthlies until people stopped coming (bad location). Tunes Monthly 6, Tunes monthly 7. Since I kind of stopped hosting these recently I might as well put down the other ways I help and plan to help the community. I’ve clearly saved Tristate melee’s tournament scene by bringing 90% of the tv’s to a tournament that otherwise would have been canceled multiple times (like 4 or 5). I try to give people rides as much as possible to help make the scene stronger. Examples being back when all of NY kind of blew and I would bring like alukard/hax/jman/djnintendo and others to philly tournaments all the time and house them after they took the train to my house for weeks and now they have all become TO’s or great players and other things. I think I’m one of the highest level players who plays lower level players the most at tournaments and try to give them advice on improving their game as best I can. I also plan to do melee casts in the near future of games I haven’t seen yet to help attract more people to the scene. I feel its really important for casters to cast games they haven't seen yet otherwise it could be too analytical and less hype. If you see a triple knee you never saw before in the middle of a match you were casting, and you get all excited while commentating on it the viewer will get that much more excited.

A. No. I feel we jumped the gun and way overrated jigglypuff way too fast(Myself included). Despite that I still agree with the top 4, but not the order. I also think marth is too high. I’ll go into more detail if I do indeed get accepted.

A. I feel it is as fair as we can make it with current technology. I unfortunately feel we have too few stage choices far into extended sets at top level play, but I don’t know what to do to fix it short of hacking the game and creating more neutrals.

A. I have no problems with the current rule set.

A. In the past it has been tech skill almost 100%. Lately after getting to a fairly competitive level in super street fighter 4 I’ve been focusing more on strategy, baiting, and spacing and its been improving my game fast.

A. Both, because you need both to be a successful player (even you cactuar). You can’t get that many first hits no matter how good you are at it.

A. Every game has a lifespan as a competitive community, but I see melee sticking around for at least 5 more years, and more than that if we try hard.

A. Hugs’s recent thread on melee casting is way more important than I think the attention its getting. I and countless other posters have posted on teamliquid.net (the smashboards of starcraft) have said many times about how commentaries they found on youtube got them into competitive starcraft, I feel like it could do the same for melee. Sponsors for large tournaments would be extremely helpful as well. Just more capital in the melee scene as a whole somehow would benefit us the most because as of right now it’s ALL us (the community) which is very tough.

A. Not really sure as I’ve never been back there, but I’ll answer this more in depth if I get in and see more of how it functions.

A. I put very little effort into my posts on smashboards, but I also don’t post much at all anymore due to lack of interest. I think that if I were to become a backroom member I would put a lot more effort into my posts and with my knowledge of the game I feel I could contribute to discussions pretty well if I tried which I would. I’d have to put aside bias and personal feelings based on personal tournament results and other things, but I feel like I could do that if it were for the good of the community.

OPTIONAL

1. Link:
i. Description:
2. Link:
i. Description:
3. Link:
i. Description:
4. Link:
i. Description:
5. Link:
i. Description:

1. Player: KirbyKaze
i. Reason: That paint drawing Kirby thread on how to DI fox’s up airs helped me a lot as before that I did not know to DI the opposite way fox was traveling in the air. I’ve won tournament sets from reading that thread. He automatically gets a spot in this list for that. Oh an yeah lol I bet it helped others as well so great thread!! And you know for being an awesome sheik and nice guy.
2. Player: Hugs
i. Reason: I cannot stress the importance of that thread with melee casting enough. I think it’s absolutely essential to get more people into the scene (Especially because its old). Plus I’m pretty sure he’s made other awesome posts in the past that I just can’t think of right now. And obviously no one else has advanced samus’s metagame nearly as much as hugs.
3. Player: Forward
i. Reason: SeanForwardB helped me out A LOT when I first was getting into melee, introducing me to good players and giving me lots of games despite me not giving him much challenge at all. I’m sure he’s done this for other players in AZ before and since, and he’s also made lots of very good posts about strategy and other things that I and probably others read and benefited from. Obviously pushed falco’s metagame forward a lot. To my knowledge he was the first one to popularize Jump shine just under a platform Wd onto the platform to continue combos. I know that I learned that from him. And again just another all around nice guy and I feel has helped the community a lot in many ways.

1. Answer: I actually started reading it shortly after getting into ssf4, because that was the first I’ve seen it. I haven’t finished it yet however I’ll get back to this later.

I really don’t care all that much about being in the MBR. In fact I wrote this application as per request as quite a number of members. I don’t even know if I’ll have all that much time to look through it, but if I do get in and have the time I will try my best to not post unless a lot of effort thinking about each post went into a post and try to be unbiased as possible to not make my regret my words. One example of that I feel myself and a lot of others made was that jigglypuff was top tier. I was blinded by my losses to jigglypuff and hear sudden surge in metagame to thinking she actually was top, but after more thought and more matches against jiggs I see that I was just mad at losing and not noticing how smart you had to be with jiggs to get those super reads that setup her devastating stuff. She’s actually quite tough to play and because of that I don’t think she should be as high on that tier list as she is. One thing I'd really like to see is smashboards become more like teamliquid.net. I cannot stress how well modded those boards are, and how well organized their calendar and videos are setup. I would like to try my best to get smashboards setup similarly especially for casting matches unspoiled. I feel that is key to helping expand the scene.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Here you go guys *Crosses fingers*

Smashboards Username: Snap. (Soon to be XS Snap.)
Region: Atlantic south (North Carolina)
PrImary Character(s):Marth.
Secondary Character(s):Shiek, falco, Peach

REQUIRED

A. Ive been playing melee competitively for about a year and almost a half. My first tournament was the week after pound 4. Ive been in the smash community for two years and half however, as I started with brawl.

A.Every weekend I attended a tournament here in NC. Ive been to every single regional in my region and national (CEO, APEX, TO6, ROM 3 and Pound 5) Since pound 4 (Which I attended as well) I'm one of the more known players in NC because of my out going personality, my active board discussion, and my large tournaments hosted here monthly
I am very familiar with the national scene, having been out going to meet good players and stay in contact with high level players via aI'm or smashboards itself, as a means to get better. Ive housed M2k and hung out with mango in the past, Gotten dinner with hungrybox and PP is one of my best buddies as well.
I try to give something back to this players after they give so much entertainment to us. Not to mention the active discussion that follows the results of every tournament, If it were up to me, id know every smasher in the community. But I'm not quite there yet.

A.I am a average level player, I am still in a very early stage of my learning process as far as the game goes. I have never beaten anyone worth noting. But ive come pretty close, I made it out of round 1 pools at pound 5. So that's really my most notable accomplishment in game.

A.Yes absolutely, I am very good friends with everyone in NC and a large number of other ATL south smashers, I am a highly respected TO in my region and a highly respected commentator, I have no doubt in my mind that NC's sense of family would ensure the full support of them.

A.Id like to think I am but I honestly cant answer completely, I look at the metagame from a very new school perspective and I love giving insights to active topics, I have had ideas for discussion topics in the past to post on my own, but have never posted them outside of NC threads.
My best insights are on the doubles metagame. Doubles is my favorite part of the game and I consider myself to be a very knowledgeable team player. Many people do not understand the complex mechanics of teams play in high level and I love to enlighten them a bit

A. Yes I am, I have hosted tournaments since September of 2010. Lately I have been hosting some regional monthlies here in Concord, NC. I have had several top level players come to my tournaments and enjoy themselves a lot.
My last tournament had a turn out of about 60 melee entrants for singles and almost 30 teams. The one before that had about 50. The next one will be even bigger and better. Other ways I have contributed to my community here in NC,
I recently secured a corporate sponsor for my tournament series and myself as a player, Xs UNDERGROUND, the makers of XS energy drink. They have showed interest in sponsoring other NC players such as Dr.Peepee, lozr and Yahuzz.
They are very interested in the smash community as a whole and are esatic for us to represent the drink.

A.For the most part I think the tier list is heading in the right direction but I think marth could be higher, I also think puff is highly overrated in the current metagame. I could go on about this but that's not what the question was about I suppose.

A.In some aspects I do agree with the current is fair in several matchups, however I feel like the list favors fox as of now, but I don't really know how to fix this.

A.Id honestly like to see a ledge grab limit rule Implemented if planking puff becomes more popular. but yes, as of now the rule set is as fair as it can be to every character in the game.

10. Q. What is more I'mportant to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A.Strategy. The mental of aspect of smash is the biggest part from my point of view, Tech skill is fine and all, but whats the point of having it if you don't have the strategy to apply it in high level play.

11. Q. What is more I'mportant to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A.Making the most of a punish is extremely I'mportant in mid level to high level play, but baiting is also a big deal. they are both equally I'mportant in my eyes. But I also believe It's character dependant. But for most High tiers to top of mid tiers combos are absolutely the most important, the only way to beat someone is to take four stocks before they can take yours, plain and simple. and comboing into your kill move(Jiggs rest, marth fsmash, fox up smash, etc) to ensure the loss of one is a must. Its a battle within the actual match, its your combos vs that persons DI, But I digress.
For example for a character like marth you have to make the most out of one grab against fox. that could mean the difference between winning and losing a game.

A.I don't think so, Melee has been out for the past 10 years almost and the thing I love most about this game is that were still finding new things all the time, our metagame is never stagnant.
were always learning and adapting.

A. Find more sponsors like XS energy that want to put time into the community, companies who are looking for players that they can sponsor and put in the spot light. This would make our community not only stronger, but more mainstream, and its all about hype, which is exactly what a sponsorship could give us.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stImulate the community?
A.The melee backroom could be more open about what they are currently talking, and encourage them to discuss among themselves. A melee backroom member has a responsibility at every tournament they attended to be an example and to help anyone who is in need of our knowledge or help.

A.I am a respected TO in the Atlantic south region. I experience first hand what this community goes through at a tournament, both in and out of brackets. I do everything in my power to ensure everyone has a good tournament experienced.
Also I obtained (as mentioned earlier) a sponsorship for our community in XS energy drink. Id be very happy to continue doing his kind of work with the MBR's support.
I would like to consider myself one of the most out going smashers in the community and an active topic leader, the chance to prove myself and help people as a member of the melee backroom is a grand opportunity.

OPTIONAL

1. Link:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=296806

i. Description:A link to my latest tournament thread.
2. Link:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295795

i. Description: A link to my first G6 monthly

3. Link:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=299086

i. Description:A link to the fund I made for armada after his financial troubles came to light after the pound crisis. I do believe we reached our goal of raising 600 for hI'm.

4. Link:http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/...373379310_100000492468314_781559_751409_n.jpg

i. Description: Here's a link to a picture of me and colbol in buffalo wild wings shortly after pound. I dont know why I linked this, but col bol is really cute.

1. Player:Dr.Peepee
i. Reason: Kevin has lead several discussion within the NC community to the national community about everything from matchups to movesets. His insight on the game is remarkable. His falco thread is incredible and his love for the game is apparent in every single post he makes. He is honestly one of the most knowledgeable players I have ever met, having read and talked to him on a regular basis. His cinderella story at ROM 3 was one for the history books and his set vs M2K was inspirational, a true "Changing of the guard" moment, Old school meets new school, even odds, no sandbagging, falco vs marth. It truly was the revival of melee. I loved every second of the set and was glad I was there to experience the most moving thing I have seen in this community to date.

2. Player:SleepyK

i. Reason: Sleepy is one of the best melee "Teachers" Ive had the pleasure of meeting. As well as one of the most knowledgeable players. He looks at the game from a very unique perspective. He is one of the most analytical people Ive played and can tell you all your bad habits after 2 sets or maybe less. The guy is an amazing discussion leader and conversationalist. Once again an extreamly knowledgeable player and mentor in this community, and shows incredible drive to improve his local scene.

3. Player: JesiahTEG
i. Reason: Jesiahs blog is one of the most inspirational reads I have ever come across, and after meeting him at ROM and at my tournament, I have to say he has one of the most Impressive
drives i have seen in this community.He isn't just writing a post he is absolutely driven and on a quest to become the best player in the world, his blog has helped several members of this community overcome
personal hurdles of their own as he overcomes his.

1. Answer: I agree with the Scrub theory and his theory on things that are referred to as "Cheap" or"lame" in the article. I love hearing the classic scrub john about peach down smash or marth fmsash.
Classic mark of he scrub. The article is too true in that regard.

I really hope that I can join the ranks of the melee backroom as a TO and as A person with high hopes for the melee community.
I look forward to discussion with you, and hopefully leaving a mark on the melee community with your help :D

-Snap.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Smashboards Username: Lovage
Region: SoCal
Primary Character(s): Fox
Secondary Character(s): Falco

REQUIRED

A. Since around late 2006 or early 2007

A. I'm about as familiar with our scene as you can get lol, been going to local tournaments pretty much non-stop since like mid-2008. We travel up to Norcal a lot, and I get to play WA/AZ at the west coast regionals a lot so I'm pretty familiar with the region too. I've been to about 5 national tournaments and am pretty active on the boards so I know about as much as anyone else about the overall American scene.

A. Ummm, those terms are gonna mean a different thing for everyone but I guess I'd say high-level, there's only a handful of player's I'd really call pro today as the game has advanced so much in the last 2 years.

A. Yeah probably LOL. I mean I **** around a lot on the boards and stuff but I'm pretty sure most of my region knows I know a good deal about this game and can weigh in on discussions reasonably if my input is needed.

A. Can I dictate the flow of a discussion online? Idk, prolly not. I'd say I can start up discussion by making an interesting topic, but how people want to take it is up to them.

A. No I've never really hosted a tourny. Outside of that though I think I try to be pretty helpful to people who look like they take the game seriously and want to improve. I'm pretty good at identifying those types of people and try my best to give them advice or guidance about their gameplay. And of course I'm always down to play people who are looking to improve who come to my house or something.

A. Yeah it's pretty good. I think most good players today would agree that it's more or less the best tier list we've had for the game so far. Obviously a lot of mid-low and low tier placements can be debated a lot more but it's not really the MBR's fault since no one plays those characters lol.

A. Yeah it's pretty much fine, I think our set of neutral stages is really good and perfectly fair for the first game in a set. And I think our counterpicks are prettttty much fine in that they don't make the game totally on some other ****. I'd like to see a discussion in the MBR about Brinstar/RC and see what people think though.

A. It's fair for right now. I want to see another discussion on wobbling (both defining it and discussing it's legality) and if we need to discuss ledge stalling (probably not tho cuz melee players are MEN)

A. Ummm. Strategy is what makes this game interesting, but I feel like you can kinda get the same strategy in SSF4, Marvel or whatever 2d fighter you play. I think it's the movement, tech skill and punishment games that make Melee the most unique and best fighter out there. Personally though, as a player at my level, Strategy is of course the most important to my success. That said though, technical ability is what pretty much every player struggles with for the first 2-3 years of playing this game at a serious level, and to them it's definitely the most important.

A. To me it's getting the hits. Not only is this the more interesting aspect of Melee given the extremely deep range of positioning options and movement options, but as a Fox player I feel that this is really what separates the good from the great. Being able to use your big bag of movement tools to create situations in which you've won before you even throw an attack out. This is the most important thing and most interesting thing to me.

A. Does it? Yeah probably. Does it have to? No. I think the game has aged reallllly well for being almost 10 years old. The graphics are still pretty crisp (they look better than brawl imo lol) it's still really accessible, and the game play is still extremely fast, rewarding and deep.

A. I mean we've been going in this direction naturally for a few years now. More exposure through youtube, good players being more active in Smashboards discussion (especially character-specific topics) and increased advertisement/hype of big tournaments. I have a few ideas when it comes to "expanding the community" mostly concerning making new players really interested in the serious, competitive side of the game and making the game's systems and mechanics more easily findable/understandable. You shouldn't have to read 5 year old compendium of knowledge threads and post search Magus420 in order to learn more about the game.

A. Let the MBR be readable for everyone. Do whatever you gotta do so that duplicate threads aren't spammed in general melee discussion, but let the MBR's discussion get everyone to start thinking about smash in a more serious way (this is good for a lot of reasons.)

A. Sure. I've been playing this game for like 4 years, I've gotten to a competitive level of skill and I love talking about the game haha. I **** around a lot on the boards but that's mostly cause the discussion gets stale and there's not much to talk about. I hope the MBR would be a lot better and we could help out the smash community in a lot of ways.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279843
i. Description: Thread I started trying to get more exposure to really good melee youtube channels. I think imma trim back some of my selections though.
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=268908
i. Description: My attempt at getting an effort together to update the aging "Compendium of Knowledge thread" Like many other players, I spent hours and hours reading that thread back in 2006 trying to learn as much as I could about the game and I wish such resources could be made relevant in 2011.
3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=259617
i. Description: My common knowledge thread, I didn't mean much by making it but I'm happy how it turned out, I think a lot of people learned a lot about SSBM which is never a bad thing.
4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=9282974#post9282974
i. Description: A post in the fox boards trying to get everyone up to speed in the Samus matchup (since there's only a few good samus players in the US) I tried to make it easy to understand and cover a lot of different strategies.
5. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKGeUo_MAt4
i. Description: My little youtube video about how to live on battlefield LOL. I kinda made it as a joke cause fox players were pissin me off, but I actually think it's helped a lot of people understand recovery on that map.

1. Player: Silent Wolf
i. Reason: Is really good and knows a lot of about the game lol, I feel like ppl might forget about him tho for some reason.
2. Player: s2j
i. Reason: He's been banned like 16 times in the last month for talking **** LOL, but he's actually really good and knows a lot about the game and would be valuable to have around.
3. Player: Fly Amanita
i. Reason: Also really good at smash and good at explaining his thoughts. Sexy hair too.

1. Answer: I've never read it I don't think, but my buddy is into it so I kinda get the gist of it. And ummm, for what I know about it, it all makes sense. Is it healthy for the community for everyone to pick Puff and ledgestall on jungle japes? No. Good thing melee players are pretty much champs when it comes to that kinda thing UNLIKE CERTAIN OTHER COMMUNITIES LMAOOO

DR. MUNDO BUSINESS TIMEEEEEEEE

MacD

Banned via Administration
Smashboards Username: MacD
Region: So Cal
Primary Character(s): Peach
Secondary Character(s): LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL my zelda/sheik aren't that bad, and i'm sorta trying to learn falco

REQUIRED

A. 4 years give or take (WOW, already been that long)

A. I go to pretty much any and every tourney I can. I know all of WC pretty well, and nationally I know a good amount of people, though I'm not the most well versed when it comes to out of region people.

A. high level in this case

A. Yea, I am pretty active and people know me to have a level head and don't get affected by personal bias. They know I'm smart and I try helping in any way i can

A. Uhhhhh, I mean if there is some topic interesting to me I'm going to start a discussion to the best of my ability, though normally when it comes to smash, I like to read others opinions and go from there

A. Technically no, though I basically jump in and end up running every tourney we have. People aren't the best at keeping a time table (especially when they wanna play friendlies) so I end up calling lots of matches and seeding brackets. I also make sure good matches get recorded at tournies, along with sets from our up and comers who want to learn. Lots of them are too scared to ask to get their set recorded, so I ask them and kick people off set ups.

A. For the most part, though I don't agree with the top 3 being "tied" and those characters. Personal hate or love of styles seems to affect it too much (ie puff). I was actually surprised people didn't start talking about peach being top tier after armada.

A. Yes and no. I think dk64 is a crap stage that can be exploited to hell, but since no one has done so, it's no be deal yet. I'm personally fine with all the other stages and think striking is great. Makes things fair and flow well.

A. Idk it's stance on wobbling, but otherwise yes. Wobbling is probably the current biggest rule issue that needs to be dealt with. Everything else is good.

A. LOOOOL me and tech skill??? But seriously, strategy is obviously what gets you better; although, without the tech skill to execute, you have nothing to go off of. I think recently, new people focus too much on tech skill and nothing else which is a problem, but both are important part combined. Granted, right now I'm focusing on my tech skill more so than learning new strategies.

A. This is like the same as before for me. Initiating punishments has always been my strong suit stemming from my aggressive play style, and what you need to get things started. Problem is, you are going to need to punish hard if you want to get far.

A. Eventually competitive melee with die, the main thing is, how long can we keep it going? If Nintendo re-releases the game (like the 15 year anniversary or whatever it is they do), then I'm sure a who new generation of kids will get into competitive melee, and it will last like 10+ years after that. Until then, it's up to people to spread the game and get new people to stay interested.

A. Like I said above, it's up to the players to get new people to stay in the community. I always try convincing people to go to every tourney they can and keep at the game. Other good ideas I've heard/thought of were clubs at schools, sponsorships, get gaming stores to host them (and force people to come to smash boards so they learn about the competition and hopefully start trying to learn), and convert brawl players lol.

Side note to anyone who reads this: School clubs do wonders actually. Players from UC san diego started getting more active and are forming a club which will hopefully go well. Bizzaro flame went off to central cal for school, (at a fairly new school) with no smashers near him, but he had the drive and started a club, ended up getting like 15 people at the school into competitive melee

A. Just there being one seems to make people a little excited. I think if there was a way for people to see what they were doing or talking about it would help. Not necessarily see every thread/post, but maybe have like a summary thread in general melee that someone is in charge of. In that thread could be like current topics and a list of who thinks what, with quotes from good arguments or whatever. Then let everyone else post in there, they could give their own thought or ask questions that the MBR could answer if they so choose. That way if someone feels strongly about a topic (like peef on wobbling), they could make a post in that thread to help contribute to the MBR even if they aren't part of it themselves.

Also, making sure that the MBR isn't like elitist for good people. In the end, sure those who are better are going to know more and contribute more, but I feel like if you don't take some newer players/"okay" players, then lots of people will just take the MBR as elitist and dumb.

A. I know my peach things, and having different types of brains in there would be good. I'm not the best when it comes to analyzing every single last second of my vids and going on for pages like PP can, but my simple and concise ways would be of help.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: none
i. Description: I'm around the peach boards trying to give advice whenever I can, which I know cactuar has seen... I think haha
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272351
i. Description: A thread asking why people host tournies. So cal was having a tourney literally every week for a long time, sometimes 2 in a weekend. It was hurting turn out so I wanted to get a discussion going and hoped to get less tournies and better turnouts.

1. Player: Pocky D
i. Reason: He's really smart and not afraid to call people stupid. I love reading his posts when it comes to an argument because he will respond intelligently to every point the person makes, and counters it with more than "show, not tell" (good ol P)
2. Player: Fly
i. Reason: Whenever he talks about issues, he can go in depth and knows how to state what he wants intelligently. Sometimes he'll just ramble on about things, but when it comes to discussing smash things it's better to say extra useless things than not have enough good points.
3. Player: Sheridan (hyuga)
i. Reason: Sheridan is amazing. Always TOing at WC tournies. Gets things done. Great teammate. Another very intellectual person. I love his posts for the same reasons as pocky's, informative and amazing.

1. Answer: It's been a while, but from what I remember I pretty much agree. I remember pink shinobi most when thinking about that. He would play for fun and to win, and in his case, it meant timing out low tiers. It was a work of art but people just complained he is boring and just times out people. Reading Sirlin's theories helped reaffirm why what paul did was in no way wrong, he was just playing the game fairly (going off the rules) and trying to win.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Smashboards Username: DJ Nintendo
Region: East Coast
Primary Character(s): Samus & Pikachu
Secondary Character(s): Dr. Mario, Fox, Marth, Peach, Mario, Bowser, Jiggs, Falco, Falcon, and Sheik

REQUIRED

A. I've been playing competitive Melee since sometime in 2002.

A. I attend tournaments frequently. I've taken a break from tournaments to tend to some matters. I'm very familiar with every scene as I traveled pretty much all over the U.S. for tournaments and keep up with whats going on internationally. Hopefully after I handle the things that I need to, I can go to an international tournament in Europe.

A. I would classify myself as a pro player. I've always kept up with the ever-changing and fast-paced metagame (especially Fox and Falco's current metagame) even using characters as bad as Bowser. I may not be an extremely technical player but I do consider myself pro level when it comes to mindgames and my vast knowledge of the game.

A. I believe those individuals would support me because they know I hold a great amount of knowledge to the game and the way I've helped them over the years.

A. I consider myself a discussion leader because I know I can be of great service to the MBR and community with the things I have to say when I partake in any discussions, even if its not about smash.

A. Even though I've never been an official TO, I've been an assistant sometimes to TO's during their tournament. For example, helping them organize with setups, calling out matches, updating brackets, etc. One of the ways I feel I contribute to my local scene is playing friendlies with no matter what the person(s) skill level may be. My main reason for playing friendlies is not for my own enjoyment or to warm up before tournament. Its to help the person I'm playing with get better. I like offering advice to people and helping them improve even if its in the smallest amount. Another way I contribute to the community is when I actually, REALLY commentate a match. Not the stupid commentary that I used to sometimes that people disliked.

A. The accuracy of it is really good but in my opinion there could be a couple changes. Bowser should be higher. At least F tier. I know Bowser is horrible but the things that WarriorKnight, Gimpyfish and I have accomplished over the years should place him at least in that tier for now. I'm gonna have to start picking him in tournament again. If he doesn't get moved at all, its all good. I know he sucks lol. Mario and Samus are in good spots but I'll try my best to place them higher. The same thing with Pikachu. Axe and I will of course get Pikachu placed higher. What I really disagree with is Jiggs being third best. I know she's good in singles but if a person really knows the matchup, she can have mad problems. Although what Jiggs mains like King, Mango, Hungrybox, Darc, and others have done with her is amazing. I guess her being third best also has to do with her being so good in teams. In my opinion, she's the second best character in teams.

A. I think its fair just for the fact that it shakes things up in sets where people are usually accustomed to play certain ways on the regular stages like Final Destination, Battlefield, etc. So it makes things more interesting, SOMETIMES. Playing the game pretty much since the beginning, I played on those weird counterpick stages like Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar many, many times. So I made sure to be good on them just in case my opponent decides to take me there. Although sometimes, an opponent can just take you to one of those stages in a desperate attempt to hope you're not as good as they are on the stage. Especially if you make a technical error or a mistake during the match, you could get ***** from the stage and not from the opponent's skill. Rainbow Cruise especially promotes camping so it gets mad boring and players have to switch up their styles and even their character sometimes. So its kinda like a 50/50 thing when it comes to those counterpick stages. Another thing, I know Pokemon Stadium changes but I don't think it should've been put only for counterpick. Sorry for writing so much. I get carried away since I'm an English major lol.

A. I believe the rule set is fair. Although sometimes you can be right at a disadvantage depending on the characters picked, what stage is being played, and what spots the players start in on that stage. For example, even though its not major, first slot starts a tad bit earlier than any other slot.

A. Of course I'm going to say strategy lol. I know tech skill is very important. Although everyone knows that I'm a big mindgame player. I see myself as Shikamaru from Naruto when it comes to smash lol. Meaning I'm a very skilled tactician. When I fight anyone, whether its friendlies or tournaments, I try to study them as much as I can and see how they're fighting me, what kind of things are they trying to do, etc. It might take a stock or two or maybe even a whole game for me to get the idea and come up with a strategy to counter them. My friend is more technical than me but he wishes he had my tech skill because he says my tech skill is efficient. For him meaning do what I want at the right time to get the kill or a certain hit without me getting punished. So I have sufficient technical ability to do what I want when I come up with my strategies, mindgames, setups, etc. Too bad I choke alot in tournament lol. Bowser is a strategy character all around so without good mindgames and strategy, you will get destroyed.

A. Initiating Punishments to me is more important as it goes pretty much with what I was saying in my previous answer. I study my opponent to see how he's fighting me and moving around. I'm a player that reacts to what you're gonna do and punishes hit by hit at a time. For example, when I hit my opponent with a move, sometimes I know what he's gonna do ahead of time after I hit him with the move to then proceed to follow his movement and hit him again and again, and so forth. I play by putting my opponent in setups that will lead to what I call "mindgame combos." Then those mindgame combos lead to giving my opponent either heavy damage, enough damage to get off stage and give me an edgeguard opportunity, both, or causing them to die. Although of course I need to initiate the punish first. My combo game with high tiers like Falco has never been as good as my combo game with mid/high tiers like Samus, Mario, Bowser, Pikachu, etc. I can do real good combos with Falco but I tend to mess them up alot when I really need to perform them lol.

A. Age has nothing to do with it. People simply just gotta step it up and try their best to help the community grow and not die off. I don't see the game dieing off. Thats what people have been saying for years and we still livin' doe!

A. Help out the newer players that come out as much as we can. Reach out and give them the resources to have a drive for this game to get better and of course, have fun. Thats what I try to do at tournaments all the time like I've explained before.

A. Give people purple names LOL. Nah I'm kidding. Talk and take action on things that of course effects or will effect the community. Throughout the years, things are gonna be changing little by little, so with all of the smart, sexy people that are in the MBR, putting their heads together those members can help make it happen for the community to have a better smash world.

A. I know too much about this game, especially since I've been playing competitively since '02 and have kept up with the metagame ever since. I have knowledge on all kinds of matchups and know alot on how to excel in doubles. I'm pretty much like Cactuar, a theory guy. The Melee Match Casting idea is something that I will volunteer to do to help out the community as much as I can.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: Smash Sensei/Teacher
i. Description: I've helped people from all around the world with my knowledge and advice, whether its about smash or not. People hit me up all the time from AIM, FB, phone, or even at a tournament/smashfest to try and help them out with anything. I'm like a teacher and I like to see people improve, especially if they become better than me.
2. Link: Jman, Nando, and Lite
i. Description: My three apprentices. I've helped trained Jman for years and he has surpassed me and has become one of the best players in the world. Nando is rising exponentially and he'll be a top Falcon in the near future. He is also like a son to me. No lie. Lite is going to be the next Smash Prodigy :) This one probably has nothing to do with a contribution I made to the Melee community but I just felt like putting it on here.
3. Link: Commentary
i. Description: When I do my real commentary, people have enjoyed the entertainment I bring into it and especially the insight and knowledge that comes with it.
4. Link: Catch Phrases & Words
i. Description: Many of the phrases and words I've said throughout the years have been caught on and said by the community till this day. Some examples are Quit Life, Flutter Hush, and Tomahawk to name a few. They're said mostly in others' commentary.
5. Link: Bowser Plush
i. Description: Its my super old Bowser Plushie that I've taken to tournaments for many years. Everyone has seen it lol.

1. Player: Cactuar
i. Reason:
2. Player: HugS
i. Reason:
3. Player: Mew2King
i. Reason:

1. Answer: I haven't read it but you have to have fun with this game. If you don't, you're not gonna and/or won't get better.

I'm sorry if I wrote too much, didn't put up any links for the contributions, and explain the reasons for my three people. A last bit of info about me. I major in English and Psychology. Azen is my favorite smasher of all-time. When it comes to doubles, I've had exactly 40 different teammates in my smash career for tournaments. So I know a thing or two about doubles lol. I'm amazing at old school video games and really good at video games in general. I hold world record speed runs in various games. No one knows more than me about Super Mario RPG lol. I believe I'll be a great addition to the MBR.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Smashboards Username: trahhSTEEZY
Region: Las Vegas

A. Since mid-late 07. Actively since then, just asn't as active around the boards till late08- 09'.

A. I attend weekly smashfests every friday. I also go to our monthlys, which i don't think i've missed once for like 2 years now, even by leaving california tournaments as early as possible to make it to our monthly the same day, done this twice.

I live in las vegas, we don't have a massive scene, but everyone in my scene knows me. Outside of vegas, i feel i'm known by others, mostly west coast. california knows who i am..i think.

When i travled to europe, I played with a few UK players like Professor Pro, then went to france a week later and played with Armada, Aniolas, my ***** Rocky, and a few other good players for like a full day. Was an amazing experience. So i'm known by some EU.

some of EC knows of me, like hbox. i'm probably more known on the boards by EC though. sleepyk too <3

A. I consider myself in between average and high, it's kind of a tough question to answer honestly. I'm currently ranked 2nd on my scenes PR, really close to first. I find myself extremely informed in the game itself, as I spend loads of hours watching matches and just being on smashboards itself, and when it comes to thinking about the game, my mind goes on a train of thoughts involving ways of increasing my level of play. it's constantly about improving for me.

A. Completely. I help out alot involving our scene, and helping making our scene bigger/better. We recently all worked together to make a proper point system for a PR to increase peoples interest/attendance. The scene also seems me as the one who goes on smashboards the most, so i'm sure they'll support me in this.

I created our scene's website, along with a really well organized forum;
www.vegasmelee.zzl.org

A. I think so, possibly. I feel when it comes to discussion for me, it's all about rationality, and logic. So i feel with that, it can help to create a lasting interesting topic, without involving negative vibes whatsoever.

A. In a way I tournament organize, not as much as our actual TO though, i couldn't take credit from him. I help as much as I can, to keep our tournaments fast and legit.

I'm co-hosting a big tournament event coming up in vegas later, they know that me and our actual TO are very involved in our community and organizing and such so they offered us to do that.

I feel i contribute loads to the scene regardless, as I've posted in the last question. My dedication to my scene is very big.

A. I dunno, i've thought about it and yeah I do to some degree, but at the same time, fox being at the top seems more like a 'super theory bros' kind of choice, given the characters difficulty. It's hard to discuss, i've read over what they ruled for the tier list and it's kinda confusing to me. Like it says its based on the likelyhood of the character doing well based on tournament results, but then says below that all the MBR just voted, so it's not really 'likelyhood' but more like opinionated. but i dunno. skip?

A. Yeah I do, with the exception of kongo jungle. The stage is insanely big, the ledges are pretty ridiculous for a lot of characters, and the barrel adds a huge luck factor into it[i guess sorta like randall, cept YS is more balanced making it more acceptable, i'd say.]
I'm iffy on RC, but i can't throw much input on it. It's extremely unorthodox and seems really good and really bad for alot of characters. For example, characters/players that lean towards juggling their opponents are now very limited in that field, techchases are removed for the most part, and overall everythings changed. everyone is just used to normal non moving levels, RC changes the game to something completely different imo.

A. Honestly yep. I can't find many problems with it, with the exception of not addressing wobbling.[if i recall correctly?]

A. To me it's more important to first develop solid techskill/movement, and then learn strategy so that you can fully utilize what your brain wants to do. I feel one can't win without having both of these down completely, though a description of what implies tech skill would make this easier to work with, as you don't need to know every single bit of techskill to compete well.

A. I emphasize heavily on maximizing my punishments, obviously to maximize possible damage, and combo'ing in general is a huge part of loving this game for me.

A. The only thing holding our community back from staying alive is probably the age of our community getting too old to a point where they feel they aren't interested in gaming as much. Seeing as melee isn't mainstream, and the difficulty of learning, our rate of new members isn't alot. Though our community does have a decent amount of older guys [mid 20's], i can't imagine the older ones sticking around forever. I would personally love to just never quit, but i can't say where I and many others will be when the 25-30 mark comes around.

A. MLG! Ahh that would be so amazing. Besides that, one way to expand would obviously be to increase it's popularity, having the community post of smashboards, awesome matches, or anything involving smash around other sites more, more people knowing of melee's competitive nature and seeing amazing matches[melee catches the eye of non-melee'rs all the time] really brings people in.

A. Maybe getting more involved outside of the MBR. Address issues often that alot of people discuss, just showing people that the MBR cares[even though the MBR itself is caring just for being made] helps out alot.

A. As I've said earlier, when it comes to input, I dedicate myself to being fair, logical, and reasonable at all times in discussion. Also me having alot of in-game knowledge can provide lots of input, of course. I dedicate so much time to this game & site, i don't see how i couldn't provide.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241209
i. Description: I created the most viewed 'tournament video' thread to date. [101,410 views, with the 2nd most being roughly 47,000.] GENESIS. I updated the thread daily by browsing all over youtube/smashboards for the newest genesis matches as fast as possible, for everyone who wasn't there to see it, all compiled into one thread. It got tons of posts and praises, and i was really glad I did it.

2. Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/trahh?feature=mhum
i. Description: I have my own youtube channel, with 170 matches of me + friends + tournament matches.

3. Link: www.vegasmelee.zzl.org
i. Description: I created my scenes website, as i stated earlier.

1. Player: DRPP.
i. Reason: He's obviously extremely well informed, well mannered, and discusses anything you have to counter his argument in a positive-attitude kind of way. He also has 2-3 threads which are highly productive and helpful to tons of players.

2. Player: Mogwai
i. Reason: Few of the same reasons. He's extremely well informed aswell, and has a very impressive thread for Falco mains. Though I do feel he sometimes can be a little blunt/harsh to players, which can be counter-productive. Regardless, I still find him an important part of the community.

3. Player: 3rd one was hard to choose, because I think a few of the subscribers in the Fox advice thread are really smart, helpful, and overall very VERY productive, but i can't choose. It's someone like Brookman[hella helpful] Unknown522, silent wolf, raynex, lovage[sometimes :p], they've helped soooo many people in the fox boards in countless pages in that thread.
i. Reason: ^

1. Answer: I haven't read this, but if I'm thinking right on this, it probably involves something like how M2K plays, and it's a tough topic, because things can be abused from loopholes in the rules, but I think with a proper discussion of things broken, things can easily be fixed.

I've dailied smashboards for so many years, my love for this game is everlasting. I'm a dedicated member of the community and would love to be apart of the leading team. Thanks for reading everything, I appreciate that alone. If anything needs touching up, feel free to mention it!
:bee:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I just have a question I really want answered, why isn't the backroom readable by non members?

might do an application later idk.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
^ I always wondered that too. I guess because we would all end up discussing what they are discussing in another thread lol.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The MBR was unreadable to normal members since before I was a member. We made plans to make it more open to the public as part of the initial talks going into the restructure.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
Smashboards Username: Cosmo!
Primary Character(s):

Secondary Character(s):

REQUIRED

A. I bought the game in 2001 and played it "competitively" but I didn't go to a tournament or really know anything about the scene until 2005, when I was a beginner G&W main. My first national was FC6. I used a different username back then.

A. I attend regionals often, but don't seem to find the time or effort to go to more local events. I am familiar with the Chicago scene, the Midwest scene, and the (Inter)national scene quite well, and follow results.

A. high level

A. yes. I am successful with an "alternate" playstyle/character and have insight into parts of the game that others may not see.

A. entirely depends on what is being discussed. if I feel comfortable discussing something then I can rationalize my opinion and provoke meaningful discussion

A. no. I don't do much besides make sure the pool sheets are filled out properly

A. somewhat. in a game like this, niche characters may be viable as counterpicks but are not well rounded overall (young link). this makes placement of characters like this very difficult.

A. mostly, yes. striking two stages out always gives a fair starting stage (usually battlefield, which I feel is the most balanced stage in the game). the counterpicks aren't completely broken, and add variety.

A. yes. items are broken, more than 4 stocks are too many, striking is fair and quick, 8 minutes is fine. counterpick/double blind system works fine the way it is.

A. both. I wish I could say strategy, but having your tech skill on point is too important when it comes to winning. a slight mistime in this game can completely change the match by entire stocks. obviously without strategy you won't be doing much in general.

A. initiating punishments. even if I drop potential damage or even a ko now and then, being able to consistently win the spacing/momentum war is way more important.

A. it will slowly flicker away and become more and more niche, but i am going down with that ship. it would live a long, long time if nintendo realizes how masterful it is and rereleases a "melee: tournament edition" or something, but I don't ever see that happening.

A. more things like HMW is doing on youtube. more commentary, more hyped sets. more exposure to a wider variety of gamers. more tournaments being held, with cheaper venue fees.

A. be more open to the public about what happens in there.

A. I would benefit the MBR when discussing character utility and viability

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12386646&postcount=736
i. Description: a lot of good knowledge that people probably don't know about Zelda's upB
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11225534&postcount=15507
i. Description: why maining low tier without a lot of experience with the game is a poor idea
3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11337007&postcount=38
i. Description: the simple truth of circular counterpicks / double blind
4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11258681&postcount=8043
i. Description: variance in competitive games
5. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11249406&postcount=476
i. Description: hitbox / frame data testing

1. Player: Rat
i. Reason: extremely smart player, good attitude towards the game, can discuss the "strategy" aspect of this game with in depth. a perfect example of somebody who should be a part of this community

1. Answer: some of it applies and some of it does not. if people take this article too seriously you might run into weird arguments about IC Chaingrabbing VS Wobbling VS Freeze Glitch. it would be lovely to say "anything possible is allowed," but this game was not designed that way (as you can see from items and stages being banned).

i pick zelda and place.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Smashboards Username: MarsFool!
Region: Southeast
Secondary Character(s): Marth/Sheik/All Characters

REQUIRED

A. I began in May 2007, when I discovered smashboards. Ive played other games for 15+ years.

A. I try to go to at least regional (Florida/Alabama/Georgia) every month, and I host weekly tournies at my apartment, as well at attend weeklies at UNF. I try to make nationals when I can but I work a lot.

A. High level, but certainly not pro. I can keep up with everyone but when it comes time to getting far in the bracket just depends on how consistent my fox/marth is that day.

A. Im relatively sure all of the Southern people wouldnt say no.

A. Yes. I can carry a conversation well and keep my cool even under fire. After coming to a conclusion I feel it should be on to the next idea/concept/argument.

A.Yes. I was a TO before they dropped the title. Ive helped with Tipped off, Viva la Smash, and Noob series events.

A. Yes and No. A tier list can but accurate tournament wise, but it will never be 100% true. Peoples tactics changes daily and even if the changes arent that big, enough of them can change the entire forefront of a fighting game.

A. At some point everyone is going to complain about something. Fair is dictated by those who set the rules in all honesty. Do I think some stages should be on that arent? No.

A. The same way i feel with stages. Smash is a game where the rules have to be changed because the way the game comes isnt how people who like fighting games at a competitive level like to play.

A.Strategy. Tech skill should be automatic if you play your character enough. If this was about Hokuto no Ken then yeah tech skill. But this is melee and most combos end up being custom combos via DI, tech chasing, and general awareness of your character and theirs.

A. Maximizing punishments. Since this isnt a game with a health bar you can get poked all day and it wont be that bad. But a 0-Death combo will change the pace of the entire match, if not the set. When you get in someones head to land the initial you should take full advantage of it.

A. I feel its slightly limited because of a few things.
1. Smash is played with pads. There are some good pad players in other games but they are always make a big deal of it. Now in melee, a pro isnt made by utilizing an arcade stick, but how well you work the pad. Other fighting communities who have not played the game will never understand this and we will always wear the black sheep tag.
2. The game is old, flat out. Even though the game will always be of interest, people flock to new things because they are new. The only problem is, I feel that we were completely ignored by nintendo in the production of brawl. Brawl forces you to change how smash feels when you play and it didnt feel right. Melee wasnt too hard, it just takes time.

A. By keeping the one we have alive. You cant recruit new members to your army every time things go sour in war. You have to change your strategy and use the soldiers you have left better then eventually more will come.

A. Get in contact with people like MrWizard, Alex jebailey, etc etc We need to have street fighter/marvel/tekken at our events and show the other communities were interested in them/ respect them even if they do not respect us first. I recommend encouraging people to play other games as well. Once we have a foothold in the fighter community and people like us it will be easier for us to get into large events. CEO, Midwest Challenge, EC Throwdown, Ranbats, etc

A. I play a lot of different games. I believe that Im a rather intelligent person. Im not very quick to jump the gun and I try everything before I post it.
I action Replay everything to DEATH.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263034
i. Description: The Jacksonville FL topic. This region was considered dead for a while and I had to bring it back to life.
2-5: various arguments in the fox topic TBH

1. Player: Linguini
i. Reason: Kids a genius. Flat out. He doesnt post around here much but those of you who know himknow hes beast.
2. Player:XIF
i. Reason: This fool got banned, but hes really smart too. I think his ban was permanent...

1. Answer:
Yes. Its very agreeable but not when talking about melee. The main thing being ledges. Yes if invincibility is an option use it, but not in the aspect melee uses it. I think that the fact you can be getting wrecked then get a breather mid match is kind of silly.

Down B is broken.

Top Bottom