• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The MBR was unreadable to normal members since before I was a member. We made plans to make it more open to the public as part of the initial talks going into the restructure.
ok thanks. Another question, when's the deadline for application? OP says first admissions will be april 1st, jut wondering with theres a seperate deadline for applying.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Smashboards Username: Mogwai
Region: East Coast (NYC/CT area)
Primary Character(s): Falco
Secondary Character(s): Pikachu

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. Really long... Fall of 2006 I think? what is that, 4.5 years?

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. My tournament attendance has certainly tapered off in the past few years, but I still make it out to locals ever few months and tend to hit the larger nationals every year. I'm friendly and well acquainted with my local and regional scene. I'm familiar with the national/international scene in the sense that I pay attention to national/international tournament results.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. Average? I guess? I haven't placed in the money at a tournament in a long time, but I still think I'm capable of hanging with fairly high level players. I'm not really sure what that qualifies me as.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. I think so. I believe I'm pretty well regarded as a knowledgeable smasher and I think most smashers in NY/CT would support me being a member of the MBR.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. Yes, I think I'm a good discussion leader when I choose to be. I feel like I am good at understanding when a discussion is getting derailed and why, and when a discussion is worth continuing, I always make an effort to get it back on track.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. No, I haven't held a tournament in a long time. However, whenever I go to a tournament, I'm frequently asked for advice on how to run things or seed players. While I don't think I should be asked about seeding players due to my lackluster activity, I still think I'm knowledgeable about the logistics and theories of running a successful tournament and I think that the local TOs share this opinion since they frequently ask me for advice on these matters.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. Accurate enough that it was worth posting. The old tier lists were not really reflective of the metagame shift in modern smash and I think it was important to bring out a new list that acknowledged the ascent of Jiggs players. Personally, I think making an official tier list isn't worth the effort though. To an extent, a tier list will always be biased, so I'm of the opinion that the best tier lists are those made by individuals who explain their placements thoroughly. I don't really see the value of a group trying to reach a consensus or compromise on a tier list as long as there is an accessible tier list for newer players to use as a reference point.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. Personally I think that the stage list should be limited to Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Battlefield, Dreamland 64 and Final Destination in singles and Stadium in place of FoD in doubles. While I understand that this limits the diversity, I think that it's better to have a stage list that conforms to what the majority of the community views as fair and I don't think we really consider the non-neutrals fair as a community (hence the name non-neutral :p).

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. I think it's fair enough, though I think some thought needs to be given to Best of 5 sets, as picking stages with the Modified DSR in a Bo5 can force the person who's picking the stage to pick a disadvantageous stage due to lack of other options.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. :laugh: is this question for real? Like seriously what are you trying to get out of this question? Just seems really stupid to me. Just seems like you're looking for people to give you canned responses about how Tech Skill is nothing without a Strategy behind it or something. Whatever, I'll answer... Strategy, because Tech Skill without strategy behind it is useless, whereas you can have a good strategy and succeed without good tech skill. There, happy?

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. To me, maximizing punishments because I like cool combos and they're what I love the most about the game and keep me amused by it. I think that getting first hits is a more important skill to have to be a successful tournament player, but as I'm not terribly concerned with my tournament success atm, it's not as important to me personally.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. Yes, and if you think otherwise you really need a reality check. The playerbase is aging and new players aren't coming in fast enough. The game would need a re-release on a newer console and big time sponsored tournaments to re-spark mainstream interest in the game, but as it is now the community is most likely just going to slowly die out as the remaining players eventually stop traveling for whatever reasons as they age.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. I don't think there's anything within our control. As I said in the last answer, I think the only things that could truly revive Melee are a re-release on a newer console along with a committed and well funded tournament circuit.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. Honestly I have no bright ideas here. Having a good comprehensive ruleset is the only matter of real importance for the MBR imo. Other than that, it's all gravy and I don't think the MBR has the resources to stimulate the community in any other way.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. I'm a knowledgeable and logical person who enjoys discussion and debate and is active about posting. I have considerable tournament experience and knowledge from playing and following other games and think I would be able to provide helpful insight on nearly all tournament related matters.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203781
i. Description: Mogwai's Falco Thread, which is a hodgepodge of Lessons on various aspects of Falco's game.
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=100240
i. Description: My attempt at mathematically calculating a tier list based on Phanna's matchup chart many moons ago, lol. Ultimately it was a giant failure, but I did put a lot of effort into it at the time.

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: Dr. PeePee
i. Reason: Gives an unbelievably large amount of advice that is always well intentioned and well mannered. Also he's the best player in the world and took getting gypped out of $2K+ at Pound 5 unbelievably well. Seriously, kid is too good to be true, no homo.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: I have not read it.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:
My avatar and sig are amazing, so you should weigh their positive impact on MBR morale next to my other qualifications.

CaptainNanD0

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards Username: CaptainNanD0
Region: Tri-State
Primary Character(s): Falcon
Secondary Character(s): Falcon

REQUIRED

A. September 2009

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I attend tournaments very often, pretty much anything I can get a ride to which is like always. I'm very familiar with all of those scenes especially my local scene.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. I would classify myself as high level because of how I place and how good I do against my region's best players.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. Yes. I believe they would support me because they are aware of my knowledge of the game despite how long I've been playing. I don't post a lot but I'm willing to change that in the MBR.

A. No. But I will participate in group discussions and give my opinions on the topic.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. No. Some ways I help contribute to my scene is attending their tournaments and contacting other people to go for a bigger turnout.

A. Yea I believe it's pretty accurate except for Jiggs I don't think she should be that high. I don't she should be that high because only Hungrybox wins and places high at nationals with her right now, so I believe he's that good of a player not necessarily his character.

A. Yes. I'm comfortable with the striking and stuff and so do most people.

A. Yes. Pretty much what I wrote above answers this also.

A. Both. I use to think it was tech skill mostly cause of how you can overwhelm and pressure your opponent. But now from my experience all tech skill doesn't work without strategy, you need to have strategy behind tech skill or you won't do good.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. First hits. They're the most important part cause they can lead to death. Also Cactuar told me first hits are the most important so even more of a reason why I said first hits. lol

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. Yea it's limited right now cause of people not traveling anymore and being unmotivated.

A. Motivate smashers to travel more and get more new players to show so the community wouldn't die. It can be done people just don't try hard enough.

A. Only have people with experience and knowledge in the MBR that can help out the community. Also let people view what is discussed in the MBR.

A. As I said early despite the time I've been playing I got good amount of knowledge about this game. So I could definitely help out.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12403748#post12403748
Description: Some advice I gave earlier today for like the first time. lol
2. Link:
i. Description:
3. Link:
i. Description:
4. Link:
i. Description:
5. Link:
i. Description:

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player:
i. Reason:
2. Player:
i. Reason:
3. Player:
i. Reason:

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: No. I've never read it.

Hax$ jr.

Money

Scar sucks

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Sure, why not =3

Smashboards Username: Teczero
Region: NJ/Tristate Area
Primary Character(s): Sheik/Fox
Secondary Character(s): Marth/Peach

REQUIRED

A. I've been playing melee competitively since around 2007.

A. I'm typically a very active member of my scene, attending tournaments whenever school allows me. Locally, I hold a lot of gatherings and have people over to play often. I consider myself one of the top players (Like top 10 not ridiculous or something lul) in tristate, and a threat in national tournaments being able to make it to brackets at many national tournaments.

A. I'd classify myself as a high level player. I do well relatively, but I can see clearly that I lack a few traits that allow myself to become a top level player.

A. I do think other individuals would support me being in the MBR. I help a lot of new comers and offer advice and tips when I can. I also have a wide array knowledge on 4 out of 6 characters that are often played in competitive melee.

A. I do consider myself a discussion leader, I enjoy experimenting new ideas and exploring new strategies. This fuels me to start a topic and discuss everything about it.

A. I'm not a TO in my region. I contribute a lot to my scene by going/entering tournaments and smashfests and try to offer any help to other players in furthering their gameplay.

A. I think its fairly accurate, but Jigglypuff is a little too over-represented in it. There aren't nearly as many high/top level puff players to be placed that high.

A. I think its fair, it allows many skills to come into play (multi character, knowing stages, etc) and simple enough so that you can place all the stages in consideration.

A. I do feel it is fair. It offers a chance for players to use stage strategies to their advantage and gives more power to having knowledge of the game.

A. Strategy has always been more important to me. Mainly because of my lack of tech skill. Strategy is also much more meaningful to me since I like to think I largely play based on predictions. It is also something that can be dynamic and may offer simple effective solutions.

A. First hits are more important to me. Partially due to my characters having very simple punishment games.

A. I think the competitive community doesn't have a limited life span. Many places still have very active tournaments and scenes. The community doesn't seem to have any intention on slowing down

A. Offering more incentive for lower level players especially in a tournament setting. Its hard for newer players to get into the game due to the game's age and the fear of going 0-2 and out. I think the amatuer bracket idea is a step in the right direction.

A. There could be many things that could help the community. Creating new tournament ideas with noteworthy TOs, offer potential new rulesets, etc.

A. As a high level player and an active discussion leader I think I can add new ideas and ways to look at things, in game and out. Being able to do something for the melee community is always something I'd like to do.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=129276
i. Description: "Sheik Q&A thread Ask Questions here!", in 2007 this was my take on the "ask cactuar/cort" threads. Though I made it more general than the pros so anyone can answer. This thread has now become the most useful/active thread in melee sheik and I feel that I aided in it growing.

1. Player: Vanz
i. Reason: A player I respect highly, and also very knowledgable. Also is adverse in many different characters so he can view a topic in more than one way which can be an immense aid

2. Player: Cactuar
i. Reason: In a sense, I feel as if cactus is somewhat my mentor rofl. He didn't help in specific gameplay but concentrated in showing me (or at least this what I got out of it) the basics of melee that people seem to overlook. Push vs pull is a great example of how cactus helped contribute with knowledge.

3. Player: Alex Strife
i. Reason: A person kinda bent on striving for a better and larger community. His drive is something else and he always tries to find ways to make any and all events as enjoyable as possible in many different ways.

1. Answer: nope

I tried infracting cactus for trolling. But it didn't work :(

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Pretty much. All applications are being tracked, so it really isn't a problem for this to be social other than those posts.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Cactuar, when I see your avatar. I think you really do look like that in person :( Scary.

Though, unmasked, I'm sure you look like :troll:

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Smashboards Username: V3ctorMan
Region: West Coast/Arizona
Primary Character(s): :yoshi2::falco:
Secondary Character(s): :mewtwo::samus2:

REQUIRED

A. I've been playing competetive melee since May 2006

A. I attend tournaments frequently. Sadly AZ is in a highly divided scene, so usually only 1 monthly occurs at a time. I'm highly content with my local area since Im one of the players who has taught and helped train many players in my surrounding area. :) I'm very familiar with the surrounding regional/international scene in general. Seldom as it may seem, I've gotten this from my OoS experience and getting to know people on a more personal level :)

A. This is a tough one to answer for me honestly. If I had to choose one though. I would say I'm a high level player, hoping to break the pro status :)

A. I believe most everyone in my region would support my role as a member of the MBR. I've helped many and support everyone in my community and have done multiple roles and continue to do so to help further my community :)

A. Depends on what the discussion is about. :p. I can be a discussion leader to the best of my abilities, but I know there are better candidates for such positions as this. Also I don't exactly know what the bar is set at for a "good" discussion leader is. I can lead a discussion, but the right mindset/subject must be imminent. :)

A. I'm NOT an active TO, however I was for the city scene in my area. Now I help contribute by helping bring recording equipment, setups, to help make tournaments run a bit smoother, however I don't help run the tournament per se. I just make it easier, faster with the extra equipment etc. I like to have the TO handle this, and so does our TO. n_n

A. I think "some" changes could be made with the tier list, but atm in time, it's definetely one of the more accurate ones we've had. Tournament results are a high priority, but we have to remember if lower tiered characters were played anywhere near as often as high tier is played, could we possibly have a different tier list anyway? Just a possibility :)

A. I like the current MBR recommended stages, except few, (but the few are for personal reasons) :p Some I can agree could come back, and have been convinced otherwise with logical reasoning why the stages have relevance. :)

A. I've no objections on the current ruleset. n_n; It seems to be working for many of the tournaments we have. <--- this alone should be good reasoning ^^ I'm not exactly familiar on the wobbling debate, but Im sure an agreement can be met upon, within the MBR. :)

A. this question is very easy to misinterpret, as different characters require a different set or mindset of a specific kind of techskill. Samus/IC's/Yoshi/Fox.. IMO tech skill and strategy work hand in hand. If you have the ultimate strategy but don't have the fingers or abilities to SHFFL, or even L-Cancel, or consistently do the moves you intend to do "proper wavelands" SD's, accidental air dodges..etc to follow up more combos etc. Same goes for the ladder, if one only has tech-skill but no proper approach to put the strategy in place, then a dilemma is still in place. IMO both of these go hand, in hand but even then the question is easy to misinterpret. In that sense in theory, at high level play, you can't have one without the other to begin with. :)

A. This also is somewhat of a trick question. Since some characters are better at punishing (such as Peach) while others are better for initial combo starters (such as Falco). The question should more be along the lines based on character base as well, or even the MU that is being played. In certain MU's (such as Falco dittos) Initiating punishments is very viable. but in other character MU's maybe not as highly seen that AZ has seen. Such as hmmm (Yoshi/insert low tier here vs Samus) maximizing punishments is the clear winner. n_n;

A. Sadly games come and go. Most players move on to the most up to date game. Doesn't mean old games die per se. but it's difficult to get the population we had that say. 2005-2007 had. Many players play the up to date game, not even because the newer game is better per se, but just because that's where the population of players is, and is how you can make your own resume for yourself. ^^

A. Be more open to the newer players, perhaps even advertise somehow, areas within areas. Have some kind of funding not for just good players, but even "upcoming" players as well. Nothing would welcome me more with open arms, if I'm a new guy to the scene for someone with similar interest help me/guide me.. etc.. Each of us at some point in time of our smash career, had an idol or someone to look up to. We should keep passin that on to each generation to come. :) Hopefully, rivalries, player hate vs player etc.. can be minimized too since it's usually not good practice to have hatred towards each other, that can only cause more dilemma. Now i'm not saying stop rivalries,(because those are fun and implement competition) but "respect for one another" is something this community could highly work on. Now I know this is difficult and hard to be perfect etc.. but it still can be attempted. n_n

A. Hopefully, something along the lines as making MBR related topics, viewable to the public, (or somethin similar) nothing can make a community more comfortable than at least being able to see what is discussed in the MBR as well. I really can't see any negatives from it n_n

A. I believe the MBR would benefit from my input because, I believe i've a very open mindset of how both parties/sides work. I have a highly capable knowledge of lower tiered characters and high tiered characters, and with the experience I've accumulated in years time. n_n;

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=76908 (Official SV AZ thread)
i. Description: *Sigh* this is where it ALL started for our little crew. SV Crew. Players such as myself, Axe, Nicknyte all started out here. Here I was the main Tournament Director starting off our first rankings system, hosting tournaments and contributions to our small hometown, on our journey to attempt gaining recognition. What a journey it's been. Being the best in my area (for the time being) this is initially where I began helping/training most/many members of the SV Crew, and still continue to this day. :)

2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272973 (Vman wants to make YOUR combo videos thread)
i. Description: This is something i've made to give myself back to my community like the community had for me during my career. After making CV's "Future Sight" and The "AXE" Effect, I was complimented by many players of my video editing/syncing abilities, and I received much more positive input than expected, ESPECIALLY with the AXE Effect. Later on I created "ShadowClaw IV" and "Eggstinction" From here on, I was further motivated by the community to pursue my abilities as a video editor to help out with others player(s) combo videos. Now, I've also been thinking to hopefully help create "hype" combo videos for major events. (of course if the community would like me too.) ^_^;

3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281379 (Ask Vman about Yoshi Thread/General Yoshi thread)
i. Description: This thread was made for me, to help possible upcoming/newer Yoshi players out with the character. At first the thread had some problems, as I myself wasn't as "experienced" as the other Yoshi players are so some players were skeptical, that I may not have full knowledge/understanding of the character. I was hyped I guess you could say. As time progressed and went by, I proved myself weekly, monthly, and had more relevance along with the knowledge I was giving to any players that had asked, and most of the community began seeing this, and the thread was becoming much more successful for new players, and old players alike. It's a general Yoshi discussion thread, basically for any/all Yoshi players to help give advice to newer players, for the vet players to help each other out, and to learn/discover new possibilities with the character, to help expand the characters metagame etc. n_n; I don't really know what more to say, but it's a mere copy of Cactuar's thread, Tajs, PP's, etc. n_n

4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279010 (Mewtwo Philosophy thread)
i. Description: This thread is soo tough to explain acccurately, and arguably one of the better threads on this site. It helps mental preparation to such subjects such as maintaining composure, and in general just to have the proper mindset, messing with mind, spirit, willpower, confidence and motivation/determination. :) An interesting thread to read for any players having self-confidence issues, character limits/limitations, and breaking that barrier as the metagame evolves etc. Being from AZ, players such as Axe, Taj, myself, Wobbles, we've had these walls, barriers, confidence dilemmas, and of course character limits/limitations, but being victims of dilemmas such as these and even other aspiring lower tier mains, this is the knowledge that we can pass down on other players, etc. perhaps facing this same dilemma. This thread is to mainly help out other lower tiered characters/players just trying to break that wall, with attaining the proper mindset to play and maintain composure. :)

5. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=54828 (Arizona PR and Social Thread)
i. Description: Pretty much now where most of the action is in AZ, This is where the PR is conducted, and pretty much how circulation runs through AZ. It wasn't until very recent, in which I've taken over this thread..but now am taking charge into pushing AZ's scene, and making it more active with such things as our PR, and keeping AZ active, and to hopefully give OoS, and newcomers a better understanding of our scene. n_n;

NOTE: I've also these but was unsure about... pretty much ultimate movie collections for Mewtwo/Yoshi players having a fave/certain type of player they can/want to learn off of, with constructive critisiscm etc.) ^_^
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235026 (Mewtwo matches collection thread)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281870 (Yoshi matches collection thread)

1. Player: Taj (discussion)
i. Reason: Taj has some very rare characteristics, not only in his persona, but in his knowledge/understanding of the game viable for good discussion. He has the ability to see both sides of the story, and see both sides of the character(s) spectrum even at top level play. His ability to elaborate scenarios with MU's, or even knowing character weaknesses/advantages... and even the concept into making a character(s) advantages/weakness seem not noticeable at all. His mental aspect/understanding/mindset of the game imo is beyond belief, and I think he understands this better than most. As he attains more knowledge, he only broadens his ability to relate to each and every player, regardless of level or abilities for absolutely amazing discussion.... His thread - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=279010

2. Player: Magus (contribution)
i. Reason: I remember starting out, and I would see post on anything, and I mean anything regarding frames/hitboxes etc... and just coming across any of his post. He was always usually fast/immediate with results, all with precise accuracy. Just something absolutely amazing to have knowledge wise. (Hopefully he can discover some Yoshi unknowns) as I believe even he's stated that Yoshi is one character that has many unknown unknowns. =O

3. Player: _________ (<--- Tournament organizers name(s)
i. Reason: I don't have a specific T.O in mind exactly, because T.O.s are a major reason we can have many of these tournaments to begin with. If we didn't have anyone willing to organize tournament(s) it' be tough for this game to stay active w/o some help. Thanks to them, we have an active tournament related system, both international, and local. n_n;

1. Answer: I have actually. It was so long ago, and I didn't even remember at first until I saw Sirlin/Play to Win, in the same sentence. To an extent of being competetive, I believe playing to win, is indeed important, but these are things along the lines of sports, gambling, heck LIFE, (meaning what one wants to do with their life. Having a significant other, family, wealth) Now im not saying life is a game, but Im sure most of us want to be "successful" and win in our lives/careers and be well off for ourselves and our offspring that will take our places when we've gone and passed, and the next generation they pass on, and the next, etc.... When it comes to this though (ssbm), I believe there's a boundary, biggest one to me, is the "fun" concept. If you're not having fun, I don't think you're doing yourself right by doing something you're not even enjoying to begin with. Also making the game less fun for others is discouraging too, as that is a "piece" of why the community leaves. Having fun is viable for both yourself, and for anyone you play with. In due time, the improvement rate, and the fun eventually intertwine, and you're having fun while climbing to the top simultaneously so in that aspect, both goals are being met anyway. This is something that's worked for me, and Axe both. ^_^;

@Cactuar - EDIT: Finished Application Cactuar! n_n
Thanks for considering! Go Yoshi!

I wanna make more combo videos too! n_n

Divinokage

Smash Legend
*Sigh* Focusing on other's gratification too much me thinks... You lack energy for sure and you seem to need some. Center yourself instead and find the infinite energy!!!

Edit: I like this image since Im going to bring it up one more time for eyes to see.

Picture your hand on fire, if it hurts then isn't that a good reason to simply put your hand away? Why let your hand keep burning lol. This is one thing I'll never understand of people, why bring more destruction while you are already being destroyed? Like being an emo kid for example. The world is in darkness, etc. you know? lollll. I find it funny.

Mahone

Smash Champion
*Sigh* Focusing on other's gratification too much me thinks... You lack energy for sure and you seem to need some. Center yourself instead and find the infinite energy!!!

Edit: I like this image since Im going to bring it up one more time for eyes to see.

Picture your hand on fire, if it hurts then isn't that a good reason to simply put your hand away? Why let your hand keep burning lol. This is one thing I'll never understand of people, why bring more destruction while you are already being destroyed? Like being an emo kid for example. The world is in darkness, etc. you know? lollll. I find it funny.
i find all your post funny cuz i have no idea wtf you're saying

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
1. Player: Nicknyte
i. Reason: Nicknyte
2. Player: Nicknyte
i. Reason: Love
3. Player: Nicknyte
i. Reason: Ducketts. The boss, yo.
Fixed for you, you can go to work now.

Vts

Smash Champion
There are so few TOs! :(

TOs give the community LIFE!
Well be ready for Sabergaming its coming to start a new thing for melee brawl and N64 announcement soon about it :)

We will be doing sponsoring for tournament and other things to help get this community bigger since we are also TO and players of the game

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Smashboards Username: Ankoku
Region: Southwest-ish, formerly Midwest
Primary Character(s): :peach: :sheik:
Secondary Character(s): Nobody else is easy enough to use :(

REQUIRED

A. I was not aware of a competitive Melee scene until my first year at college, September 2006. I began around that point, but did not enter a tournament until April 2007.

A. I stopped entering tournaments for pretty much the entire latter half of 2010. As of February 21, I moved and am currently entering local tournaments again (held monthly). I was very familiar with most of my local and regional scene in Michigan, as well as knowing various people in the Atl. North/Pac. West regions, but am currently not very familiar with the local Vegas scene yet.

A. I always classify myself at that level where average players will consistently lose to me and high level players will consistently beat me.

A. In the case of Vegas, I'm not too sure, since I barely even know anybody. I have a decent history of TOing and helping other players improve in Michigan, though, so I definitely believe they would support my application to the MBR.

A. I do not really consider myself a discussion leader because of my relatively late entry into the Melee scene - I do not have many thoughts or discoveries in the metagame that isn't already widely known, though I can provide some realistic thoughts of the current state of the game.

A. No, but I have been one from 2007 until late 2009, and have extensive experience in scheduling, formats, rules, and of course using the tio software. I can likely help any other TO in any of those aspects.

A. I have no idea. I don't have enough knowledge of the middle or lower tiers, nor current knowledge of the matchups among the top tiers, to really place characters accurately beyond general area, so I don't think I have much of a place in discussion specific individual tier placements.

A. I believe that if it is a list of stages that players find acceptable and has shown consistent results throughout multiple tournaments then it should be fair. I do, however, find the decided lack of variety somewhat disappointing. I also have my own thoughts regarding initial stage selection.

A. The current MBR recommended rule set seems to be a very solid standard for all Melee tournaments, especially due to the fact that Meta Knight is banned. In all seriousness, though, the listing of all settings, as well as labeling and description of all popular regional clauses (DSR, Gentleman's, blind picks) definitely works well.

A. I believe that both go hand-in-hand - tech skill without direction will achieve little, but no amount of strategy will make up for lack of options due to poor execution.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Combos or First Hits? Why?
A. I'm going to assume this question pertains specifically to Melee, and not to game design. The first hit leads to the combo. In high-level matches, it is assumed that you have the necessary execution to perform a combo to at least a standard level (guaranteed hits regardless of DI). Therefore, it is far more important to land the hit that enables such.

A. All games die. The facts that Melee is no longer in production, Gamecube controllers are no longer (domestically) in production, and introduction of new players to a past-generation competitive game community is rare certainly do not help. I believe this is common among all competitively played games, however, and Melee's run thus far is already quite impressive.

A. Add more people to the community. ...wait, is there some deeper meaning to this question?

A. Probably display the end results of any gameplay/metagame discussions, or anything else that happens to be a particularly cool thread.

A. I lack any particularly strong opinions on anything, so I can provide a good "control group" when it comes to debates or discussions, if nothing else. I can also help keep any bias in check.

OPTIONAL

1. Player: Umbreon
i. Reason: You *****es should let him in 'cause he's ****in' famous. And has the best team of Rayquazas ever.
2. Player: Cactuar
i. Reason: Having the willingness to force a hard reset of the MBR in order to get some productivity and discussion going again seems to be pretty awesome. Also consistently provides good points in many topics and handles community leadership well.
3. Player: KishPrime
i. Reason: He's a host of one of the most amazing series of Melee tournaments ever.

1. Answer: Sirlin's a cool guy, but a lot of his theories appear to be better taken as a general reference than as a strict guideline. Especially considering they mostly originate from classic 2D Fighters, which were designed with competitive play in mind, while Melee's initial development was likely more focused toward "entertainment for everyone."

Personally, I miss the days when Cactuar actually had a Cactuar avatar. Though I'm glad that he isn't a Cactrot.

Top Bottom