• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I've been using up b oos a LOT more lately, funny that you mention it
it's really ****in good, it has ******** priority and range as long as you aren't getting hit during the start up
it's just a horrible idea when they're at low percents or if your opponent catches on and you whiff it
edit-I've about had it with this ****** **** wordfiltering me

Spekkio Master of War

Smash Cadet
when u just cant get that kill and ur opponents on the ledge just sit there in ur shield and upB all their ledge options. Its hilarious. ledge get up> upB, get up attack>upB ledge hop>upB, roll>upB behind, most other options> upB lol

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Heres a question about gentlemans.
Is it even possible to cancel the Gentleman when your just hitting air? I can cancel the gentleman when I hit my opponent, but never when I miss (which puts me into horrible positions >.<)
2. What are some good combos involving gentlemans?

I know it's useful to start tech-chasing
and if you get them offstage Gentleman -Knee or D-Air is pretty good too
Gentleman grab?

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I don't think the purpose of the gentlemen is for use in combos, but rather the speed that it comes out + the knockback from the knee (+ the potential to start / continue a combo) are falcons closest example of the shine. It's an extremely good defensive option for falcon and a good tool for applying shield pressure.

If you want to combo, use another one of falcon's moves, follow up's from gentlemens depend heavily on the percent of the opponent and their DI. If you are forced to using a gentlemen, you need to read the situation I guess and follow up from that. I know if people have really terrible DI and aren't on too high % you can get a grab after the gentlemen if you're fast, or otherwise it gives you an opportunity to tech chase them.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the purpose of the gentlemen is for use in combos, but rather the speed that it comes out + the knockback from the knee (+ the potential to start / continue a combo) are falcons closest example of the shine. It's an extremely good defensive option for falcon and a good tool for applying shield pressure.

If you want to combo, use another one of falcon's moves, follow up's from gentlemens depend heavily on the percent of the opponent and their DI. If you are forced to using a gentlemen, you need to read the situation I guess and follow up from that. I know if people have really terrible DI and aren't on too high % you can get a grab after the gentlemen if you're fast, or otherwise it gives you an opportunity to tech chase them.
ahh I see so it's like Fox's shine that makes things clear.
So any advice on how to practice cancelling it while hitting air? Like I said in matches I go for the Gentlemans sometimes, and when I miss I just get ***** :(

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
To air gentleman you're basically forced to do it extremely slow (possibly cancel into lightshield because I think i've seen SS do it but I'm not sure)

If you hit once you can do it if you're good (seen s2j do this a lot)
If you miss completely you should be able to react and just not do the 3rd hit though

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
To air gentleman you're basically forced to do it extremely slow (possibly cancel into lightshield because I think i've seen SS do it but I'm not sure)

If you hit once you can do it if you're good (seen s2j do this a lot)
If you miss completely you should be able to react and just not do the 3rd hit though
Ahh I see, but since I'd be trying to do the gentlemans mega-fast I guess I'm just gonna need to practice my reactions on it.

D

Deleted member

my thoughts:

up-b is amazing on people shielding in platforms since they 100% expect you to jump up with an aerial

according to old magus420 post:

gentlemen is based on how long you press the A inputs i think and hitting with any of the jabs decreases the A input (somehow)

so its still possible to gentlemen without hitting the 1st 2 jabs but very difficult, i have gentlemened a few times on air on accident

D

Deleted member

yeah i will probably never do it unless they are shielding on a plat with 170%

Scar

#HarveyDent
LOOOOOL s2j

your avatar

LOOOOOOL

upB is OK but @ rumrunner in the metagame minute vid, if Scar were the other guy he would have DI'd the YESZ up and in and then DJ knee'd you

and then prob fB

Windrose

Smash Lord
How/when to stomp out of shield? I've been trying to use it a lot more lately but it's not working out too well for me. I'd always get hit by something while i try to dair oos or get grabbed :S.

Brookman

Smash Hero
How/when to stomp out of shield? I've been trying to use it a lot more lately but it's not working out too well for me. I'd always get hit by something while i try to dair oos or get grabbed :S.
Rather than beating a dead horse you should focus on trying to find something that works.

;]

Walt

Smash Ace
I only try to dair OoS when my shield gets shined by fox or when I think someone is going to try to grab my shield.

I actually probably do it a lot more these are just the only times I can think of right now lol.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I just remember this falcon ditto where they tried to dair oos each other back and forth...

why is it a dead horse?

Walt

Smash Ace
because it doesn't work? it's funny to do, especially with ganon against falcon because ganon breaks shields in like 4 dairs but it doesn't really accomplish anything.

it might actually be a good timing exorcise for new players though now that I think about it.

D

Deleted member

down air out of shield is one of the most retardest things you can do but i still do it anyways, too much reward for medium risk

to increase your probability of success

try not fast falling and space it

sometimes up-tilt won't hit u because everybody prepares for fast fall version

it's also a fairly decent spacing tactic if you hit someone's shield correctly with a stomp, if they are n00by you can do a reverse DC by going past their shield to bait a shield grab

Windrose

Smash Lord
^Oh I see. Those are some good points but I'm getting the vibe from u guys that it's better not to rely on stomp oos too much as it is gimmicky and will only work against low/medium level players.

What other times is it good to use stomp?

I find I don't use stomp a lot which leads to very little stomp--> knee combos.

I don't really know how to use it other than in tech chasing. Approaching with dair doesn't really seem like a smart idea either but i dunno...
I also use it against people when they're crouch canceling but that's about it :S

Top Bottom