• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Like I told you guys already, as of right now it's only me getting into the MBR along with Marc, Hyuga and the other MBR leaders. None of the current applications are even worth admitting, especially not any of yours. You've definitely proven you guys cant properly get things done back here so we're gonna start completely over, hopefully some better people will actually apply. Like, seriously? Nicknyte? That guy plays Pichu, what a terrible person.
Ah man, im gonna miss my purple name =\

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. Since Late 2005, so 5 years and some change.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I usually go to tournaments at least twice a month, more if there are more in the area.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. High level.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. When I'm not joking around, yes. I'm very knowledgeable about the game and how it works. I've played and been around for so long that I've seen everything post 2005 and have a good grasp on Melee.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. In some instances I would consider myself a leader, but I usually play off of what others suggest/talk about and come up with ideas to continue discussion on.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. I am not an active tournament organizer, but I contribute to my local scene by being active, playing with less skilled player to help them improve and try to take as many locals as I can with me to larger tournaments for experience.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. If you're going by theory, sure. However, I believe that it should be based more off of tournament results, or at least have a separate list for just results. Those speak louder than theory in my opinion.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. No. Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar should be turned off. They bring a type of gameplay that I feel is very different and really limits some characters, while others flourish on such a stage. Cruise is Fox/Falco playground, white Brinstar is Peach/Puff playground. It seems unfair to me to have a stage that grants such a giant advantage from the landscape from the second the game starts.

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. I believe it is mostly fair, though I do believe there should be a rule on controller ports for singles and definitely teams. Also pause should always be off in teams imo.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. You need a good foundation to work on. Saying that, you need at least good tech skills before you can work on strategy because your options are very limited if you can only roll and c-stick. Not saying you need ridiculous tech skill, just enough to do everything necessary to play the game on a high level.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. First hits, because if you can get the first hit, that means either your spacing is better or you can easily open them up. That will undoubtedly win you a match faster than one cool combo per game.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. All things come to an end, and I believe one day Melee with dwindle in numbers and not have such an awesome scene. The major players will all grow to old and move on, and the newer plays will be separated by distances they can't cover due to their age and so on. But I think Melee's got a good bit of life left in it.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. Hold tournaments in places where people besides Smashers will be present to expose them to the game, is one. Commercials on the radio and/or TV would be good, though costly. Word of mouth is also a very good way to get someone interested in it.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. Hold competitions for tournaments for most hyped set, best sets, coolest combos or anything of that nature to get people shelling out content and organizing get-togethers. Also, the MBR could somewhat open it's doors and let the outside world have a view of what they're doing to include them in processes.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. I am a very knowledgeable player who has traveled the country playing this game, and has pretty much seen it all. I always have an opinion on something and won't hesitate to share it, given the opportunity.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11194938&postcount=2
i. Description: Fox player couldn't do his upairs fast enough to get to floaties or high % players. I gave him a very efficient way of doing so.
2. Link:
i. Description:
3. Link:
i. Description:
4. Link:
i. Description:
5. Link:
i. Description:

I'm having a lot of trouble sifting through posts to find things. :|

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: Dr. Peepee
i. Reason: The guy is easily one of the most knowledgeable players I know, and he can get into a debate about something and won't run out of things to say. Not to mention he's arguably the best player in the world, so he knows his stuff.
2. Player: SleepyK
i. Reason: He is also very knowledgeable when it comes to Melee, but not only that, he's a really good teacher and can have long discussions about things he is adamant about.
3. Player:
i. Reason:

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: I have. I think you should always play to win in a tournament environment, as long as it's within the rules. I also agree with this opinion of "scrubs" and how they think.

They pretty much all apply to Melee, and the scrubs who all cry about the chaingrabs and the combos and the shinespikes have all been left behind in skill and can play the game the way they want to. The masters all have mastered these aspects, found ways around them and improved their games to the next level.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:

I would love to be re-accepted into the MBR to share my ideas and to hear others' to come up with the best ruleset, tier list and whatever else we could come up with back there. Thank you for considering my application.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
Smashboards Username: Dekuschrub
Region: Midwest
Primary Character(s): Fox
Secondary Character(s): Marth/Falco/Sheik

REQUIRED

A. 2006 was my first tournament. I've been going to tourneys ever since.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I go to tournaments about 1-2 times a month.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. high level. I'm top 10 midwest easily, but the coasts are much better.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. Yes. I'm an active player, and I think about the game a lot. People in my region respect my opinions about the game because I always back them up with facts or justifications.

A. I can be. If I feel the discussion is being derailed or important points are not being addressed I will try and reroute the discussion. Otherwise I simply contribute my opinion and my reasons for thinking that way.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. I'm not really an active TO. Recently I hosted SMYM12 in Champaign, which was a great success. However, I don't really like running tournaments, and I enlisted lots of help for the actually running of the tournament.

A. I think it is pretty good. Some of the lower placings I disagree with, but I'm not really familiar with a lot of low tier vs low tier matchups.

A. I definitely think the stage list is fair. While it is conservative, I think that is the way to go for melee being played at the highest level.

A. I very much like the MBR rule set. These rules allow the better player to usually win, which is the purpose of having a fair ruleset.

A. I think these are almost equally important. Having really crisp execution in your attacks is very important, but it still cannot make up for having a sound game plan. If your execution is decent and your strategy is superior to your opponent, your opponent will have a very difficult time beating you.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A.initiating first hits is more important to me, even though I am better at maximizing punishments. PP always amazes me with his ability to land attacks on the best players in the world, and while his followups my not be the best in the worst (which they are pretty amazing don't get me wrong), it is PPs ability to land first hits that blows me away.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. No I think the community can remain strong. Brawl was a big hit to the scene at first, but I'm still surprised at how many new players I meet at tournaments. As long as people can continue to create quality events, hype around melee can continue to grow.

A. I think the community still needs to host the big nationals, but livestreaming quality must be improved. I'm a huge SC2 fan, and tons of viewership is gained through quality streaming/commentating of big matches. tournaments should make this a priority (which is why I had a stream and multiple recording setups at SMYM12).

A. The MBR needs to continue to create fair rulesets that are conducive to competitive play. Additionally, the MBR has to only accept quality players to the backroom. Numerous members from the Midwest in previous backrooms were very disappointing choices. The MBR needs to add legitimacy to the chosen ruleset by only picking great players who really care about the community. I don't want some scrub who can barely make it out of pools tell me why he thinks falco vs fox is 60:40.

A. I'm from a region that needs representation (midwest). I'm also an active player that wants to help melee grow. I would like nothing more than to be on a committee that brings great content to melee players, whether it be rules, livestreaming help, or simply fostering intelligent discussion in the threads I post. I'm also a high level SC2 player, and I would love to bring melee to that level of exposure using the same techniques websites like teamliquid.net use. (writeups about tourneys, livestreams, previews of big tourneys, hype videos for tourneys).

OPTIONAL

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: KirbyKaze
i. Reason: He makes hilarious posts that are full of good information. He's also a great player so I know I can trust his advice.
2. Player: Cosmo
i. he puts a ton of thought into the game. Although he is a dirty camper, I really respect his opinion, and he knows a lot of interesting stuff. hes also a fellow MW and I want someone good from the MW in the MBR!
3. Player: SuperMatt
i. he teaches me stuff about the game I never knew. hes a good player and plays so many characters that he has a variety of knowledge on lots of matchups. Again, hes another midwesterner.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: I think you should always play to win. It is the job of the MBR to make sure that players can do that, by making the ruleset fair so that players can do the utmost to win their matches.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Smashboards Username: Sveet
Primary Character(s): Fox
Secondary Character(s): Falco, Marth, Sheik

REQUIRED

A. My first tournament was MLG Chicago in 06, however I don't really consider myself part of the competitive scene until around fall of 2009 where I started consistently going to tournaments, practicing, and being part of the community.

A. I attend tournaments frequently and run a monthly series myself. I know the Chicago scene quite well. On top of that I know most of the players from WI, IN, and MI. I know of the better players from the other midwest states. I have heard of and know of most of the top players in the country, the players who are likely to make 2nd or 3rd round pools at a national, but I doubt many of them know who I am. I have not attended a national outside of the midwest.

A. I would consider myself high level. I can play on a similar mental level as kels, tink, and other top players (m2k, tec0) I have played, but they have much more experience than me which allows them confident responses to my actions which leads to me almost always fighting an uphill battle. I also have issues with confidence and "choking" which is where much of my focus is going now, but i am happy with the progress i have made up to this point.

A. I am not sure, to be perfectly honest. I have helped a lot in the midwest community but I am often ignored. I think it might because I am less social than others, but honestly I can't say. I don't think anyone particularly dislikes me, but only a select few like me a lot (mostly the newer players).

A. I'm not exactly sure what this means. If you mean someone who engages in logical and honest discussion with the goal of coming to a conclusion, then yes. I lead the Chicago-land power ranking, and have been attempting tournament rule reform in my area.

A. Yes I am a tournament organizer. I run the only IL monthly melee tournaments, Smashing Grounds. Smashing Grounds: Next Generation VI just happened this past weekend with 26 singles entrants. SG:NG4 was a smashing success with nearly 50 entrants including WI, IN and MI.

A. I don't particularly disagree with the order, but more with the tier divisions. All in all its a fairly solid list.

A. The current MBR list, often referred to as the "Pound Ruleset" is a remarkably fair ruleset. I have used it and changed it and gone back to it. I've been considering a ruleset with less counterpicks. One proposed list was YS, BF and DL on strike and PS, FoD and FD on CP with no stage bans. Another proposed list was the standard 5 stage strike with only PS as a CP (european ruleset). One i proposed was using PS instead of FD in the strike because I have argued that it skews the strike in matchups with chain grabs. All of these changes have their pros and cons, and it would take more discussion and consideration before I make a final stance.

A. I have no specific qualms with the non-stage rules. The only thing I even consider realistically changeable is the number of stage bans. I suppose DSR and Mod-DSR is also debatable, though negligible.

A. Strategy. I have walked both sides of the field, I was part of the "technical revolution" in 2006-2008 where I practiced every hard tech skill from multishines to shine-bair to sheik runoff reverse needle edgehog. This got me nowhere and in the last year or two I went through a mental revolution that revolved around stage positioning, tactics, stage control, guaranteed damage, option selects, and other things along those lines. I feel that even the player with bad tech skill can do well, considering he plays strategically sound and stays within his technical limits.

A. Both are important, very important. Myself personally, I find first hits to be more important in my gameplay since I have among the best punishments for my tier of players and also because I naturally favor defensive play which can keep first hits to a minimum.

A. I don't see any way that the competition degrades into a singularity (in human limits), so I believe the competition can always vary and grow. Recent results have all but proved this notion with so many characters being represented in the top ends of national tournaments.

A. Nothing could make the community grow more now than sponsors. While many people hate on brawl, I saw it as a good way to bring new players into melee. In my area there are 5-10 regular players who started with brawl and moved to melee. But since brawl is starting to fade (especially since its not part of MLG anymore) both games are fighting to continue to get attention. A national circuit with corporate sponsors is the perfect solution to this, in my opinion.

A. I have never thought about the MBR as an entity like that. I suppose, though, that MBR sanctioned actions in general stimulate the community. Even better might be some sort of MBR sanctioned advertisements to gain the game and community attention, with the MBR making sure it gives off the correct image.

A. I do my best to be honest at all times, with myself and others. This honesty helps me keep a straight head and lets me judge problems from multiple view points. I don't have the national tournament experience that other MBR members have, but I think I have enough experience within the game to not only understand what I do know, but understand and admit what I may not fully understand. I believe I can communicate and discuss on even terms without the need for ad hominem or the like.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=267771
i. Description: Character Ranking List. Provides statistical ranking of characters based on tournament performance.
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288061
i. Description: Chicago-Land Power Rankings. Pretty self explanatory. Players from WI, IL and IN are ranked by a group of panelists.
3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285374
i. Description: Smashing Grounds: Next Generation Tournament thread. Next Generation started in September and will finish in June.

1. Player: Dr. PeePee
i. Reason: The first national winner to openly discuss his weaknesses, strategy, mental choices, and other topics openly with everyone on the boards. He treats every post kindly and judges the information fairly.
2. Player: KirbyKaze
i. Reason: A piece of advice he gave me once was that everybody from the lowest player to the highest has valuable information you can learn if you just listen. I'm not sure how he is regarded now, but at one point he was a discussion leader on the boards and one of the best posters.
3. Player: t3h Icy
i. Reason: This guy spent a lot of time working on the match-up charts, reading every post and sorting through spam and troll. Even though his work is largely abandoned now, his dedication was supreme and his lack of bias is admirable.

1. Answer: I have not read his work, but I am sure I have come across most if not all of the concepts in his writing. Since i'm not sure exactly what this question is asking, i will choose not to answer.

D1

Banned via Administration
Weird I'm a a Melee Backroom member without access to the backroom. What happened?

Sariku

Smash Master
Sariku's MBR Application

Smashboards Username: Sariku
Region: Atlantic South
Primary Character(s): Marth
Secondary Character(s): Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff

Required:

A. I have been playing Melee at a competitive level since March 2007 (I originally posted on IGN forums before I figured out how biased and hateful they were, which is when I stopped lurking SWF and became an active member).

A. I do not attend tournaments as much as I would like to, but I have attended the all of the local tournaments near me (being local game store and my own tournaments). I have met many high caliber players (or players who can hold their own in our region) and formed friendships that have extended to the boards and beyond. I have played in a few region wide ones, and have traveled to New Orleans, Mobile, and Little Rock to play.

A. I feel that it is hard to pick between average and high level. I can hold my own against top players in my region (such as the late NES n00b and Iori), but I can by no means challenge players who get to final rounds in tournaments like Genesis. I'd have to say I'm average, but I know the terms, I know the technique, and I know what I'm doing. It's just hard to get a lot of VS. practice against great players in my area in particular. /johns

A. To be honest, most big players in my region probably don't know me. I have friendships with some (Reflex, Winnar, Rags, Iori, etc.), but if you surveyed each one and asked them to pick Sariku out of a giant picture, it'd be difficult. The ones that do know me I think would support me as I am intellectual and have a firm grasp on the game and can articulate what I think.

A. If by discussion leader you mean a person who establishes discussion between a group of individuals and can create firm points and arguments in an understandable fashion about the topic, then yes, I do.

A. I am not currently an active tournament organizer. I have hosted many in my local shops, malls, homes, and online (through the now dead WiFiWars.com), but I feel like I can contribute to my region because of my activity and devotion to doing what I love (it also helps that I have connections with the local convention centers).

A. Yes, I feel as if the local tier list is very accurate [(especially from middle tier and up) because a tier list is based on tournament results and character match up. Over the past 10 years, it has been proven again and again that these character have definitive strengths and weaknesses over one another. Due to the lower tier characters getting less high level play than the top tiers, I feel that it could be inaccurate, though.

A. I do consider it fair as the neutral stages favor almost no one character or strategy in particular to an unfair extent and the counter pick stages are by no means broken or unplayable.

A. Yes, I feel like the rule set is fair as it keeps tournaments running in a speedy process and covers (currently) all of the issues that plague the community.

A. I personally play much better in a strategic point of view, but in a game like Smash I believe it is more important to have tech skill. You have to know what you are doing and have a plan for each match, but if you can't keep up with your opponents [tech skill], then strategy does little to anything.

A. After playing games like Street Fighter, MvC2/3, and BlazBlue in a competitive manner, I believe that while landing a punch is important, it's much more important to be able to maximize your combos by punishing your opponent. In essence, though, punishing an opponent's mistake and landing the first hit of a combo could be the same thing.

A. I believe that as long as SmashBoards is around, Super Smash Bros. Melee will always have a competitive community for the sole reason that it's an outstanding game that left a legacy with those who played it. Even MvC2 and SSFII was dropped from the 2011 Evo tournament lineup, yet Melee still reigns as the dominant game for the most respected Smash players. I don't see the game dying out anytime soon.

A. With a game like Melee, I honestly believe that it is hard to expand from the outside. The people who are interested in Melee (whether it be from the past Smash games or online advertisement) probably have found the site and made their verdict on the competitive community. I believe that from the inside, at tournaments, it may be possible to extend the community through word of mouth with attendees or from the owners of venues that we rent out. The Smash community is easily the nicest and most welcoming community I have been a part of, and I think that that is the key to extending our reach.

A. Through large promotions at a huge tournament funded by the community (like a Smash version of Evo), or even a place at Evo 2012 if it could be arranged. If not something of this sort, encouraging professional Smashers to hold conversations with aspiring players in more than just random posts or character forums could stimulate the community in a positive way.

A. I believe that I have a way off speaking that may come off harshly, but is firm and understandable. I try to view things from a realistic point of view, and lay things out how I see it. I may not be an extremely well known Smasher or ever place well in tournaments, but I can analyze facts and opinions both and come up with extremely articulate posts on the matter.

OPTIONAL:

1. Player: AlphaZealot
i. Reason: I may be slightly biased as I have met him at a tournament and had an extremely positive impression of him and the way he handles himself socially, but AlphaZealot posts in detail and makes it clear on what he is expressing. He also has a large input on his regional community and is highly respected because of his positive persona.

I have read his posts in the past (they were highlighted quite often on SWF and IGN around the time of my joining) and I believe they do apply to nearly anything related to the competitive community, but Melee is definitely one of the all stars in Sirlin's theory. Unlike Street Fighter or Marvel VS. Capcom, Melee completely thrives off of supposedly unknown-in-design glitches that alone shaped the competitive community. Without the discovery of L-Canceling, wavedashing, directional influence, and so on, I belief that the Melee community will not survive today. Marvel, just due to it's appeal and intended depth, would be played regardless of the little things that they discovered.

If you enhance the experience you have with a game without breaking the game or tarnishing the title to an overwhelming extent, I believe in abusing whatever you can.

I understand that originally you asked for for qualities that show that I can quickly shoot out information in a short manner, I found myself unable to do so in the majority of these questions. To me, things aren't always as they seem and require a most in depth response, especially when you're trying to get to know me personally. If this alone makes me ineligible for a spot in the MBR, then so be it. I feel like I can bring positive and informative insight to enhance the Smash experience and I hope that others see that in me as well.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Smashboards Username: Zodiac
Region: Pacific Northwest
Primary Character(s): Link, Fox, Sheik
Secondary Character(s):Marth, Falcon

REQUIRED

A. I held tournaments since the very first opportunity I had, I’ve been competitive as a part of the smash community Since I joined SWF in 2005 though.

A. About once every two months, that’s about as often as we have them in Oregon that include melee. There is no local scene in my town besides myself and two other players. Regional scene is in Portland and most of the time Washington where the gameclucks tournaments run. I watch every stream of the international tournaments and follow those tournaments very closely through twitter if they are not streamed. Planning on making it to genesis 2 this summer.

A. A little above average, much to learn I still have.

A.yes, because I am always trying to find ways to help the community, such as my machinima respawn idea.

A. I do my best to give logical responses.

A. Not active, every now then I try to have tournaments but no one comes to bend for tournaments, they go to Portland or Eugene. Mostly Portland these days. Im also always the one that carpools up to tournaments and figures out housing and whatnot for my crew.

A. Based soley on tournament results its accurate, based on actual character skill, not so. The best example I could give is, “In theory fox is the best” People say that because no one can play theory fox (except dark!) so, theory marth would be really amazing since he has better range than everyone else. But that doesn’t matter since we will never have a group of 26 players to master all of the characters as well as dark did lol.

A. Yes, its fair, it gives both players an equal chance to counter pick a stage in their favor even with bans.

A. Yes, basically the same reason above

A. Strategy, I am probably the most technical player in Oregon, but far from the best. I play a very fast fox but it does me no good when Smasher#232 knows that I will always drill shine after he shields my shine, and can just usmash me out of it, or utilt or whatever he deems necessary.

A. Maximizing punishments, because that usually means 10 hit combo’s leading into an aesome ko.

A. Street fighter 2

A. Better exposure to the competitive gaming community as a whole

A.Events, for example we have community wide project to practice a set of situation specific techniques, have people post videos of their achievements, and its use in their matches. I think the community could learn a lot from an event like that.

A. Primarily by being able to build off of ideas I present. And visa versa.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300525
i. Description: I present a solution to money problems with tournaments, paying for the venue, players not getting paid and getting good players to future tournaments by submitting content to machinima respawn.

2. Link: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=97519
i. Description: This is a project to make a binder of melee knowledge on what order to learn all the games various techniques and tactics. Its packed with combo list’s for each characters with DI taken into account as well as general guides on how to start maining any given character. The binder gets more content packed into it as I get more experience playing smash and with the community.

3. Link: No Link
i. Description: The thread has since been deleted but I made a sort of curriculum to help keep tech skill in check, in went for a few weeks.

1. Player: Lovage
i. Reason: He has good responses to many of the posters questions, And seems to his best to get the questioned answered thoroughly.

2. Player:Magus
i. Reason: ITS MAGUS. Any time there is a question about frame data, magus is there, and he always gives a definite answer that closes all further discussion, of course he usually makes people curious and they ask more questions, and then he repeats the process.

1. Answer: I read the intro, but I will read the whole thing now that I know about it. I agree that a “scrub” or as I like to call them noobs, have a pre determined set of rules that keep them at a lower level, but this applies to every player everywhere, even the top players. There is no, being perfect at fighting games, just getting better.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Smashboards Username: HugS
Region: SoCal
Primary Character(s): Samus
Secondary Character(s): Doc/Ganon

REQUIRED

A. I have been playing competitive melee since mid 2004

A. I attend tournaments an average of once a month. I'm very familiar with all competitive melee scenes within the US. Less familiar with the international scene.

A. Pro

A. Yes. I've been in the MBR for many years and I am viewed as someone who keeps the community's interests in mind at all times.

A. Yes, if I feel passionate enough about the subject matter.

A. No, but I used to be. I hosted the Active Gamers series in 2010. Otherwise, I have contributed in power rankings discussion and have helped in tournament preparation training as others have helped me.

A. Almost. I don't feel that Jiggly puff deserves to be as high as she is. I feel this is due to the community's tendency to over-exaggerate a character's strengths when the character seems to be doing relatively well. I also don't agree with Samus's placement as I feel she should be ahead of doc and ganon.

A. I don't believe Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, or Kongo Jungle allow for characters below high tier to be viable. I don't feel that a stage alone should determine a character's viability when these same characters are completely viable on neutral stages. I don't like the idea of "auto-win" stages, so I feel there should be some compromise on the counter pick rules to allow other characters to be more viable.

A. I do feel the current MBR ruleset is fair.

A. Strategy. I think tech skill is only important to the degree that it allows you to execute your strategy perfectly. If you have no strategy, excess tech skill is worthless. In other words, tech skill level should be dependent on your strategy.

A. Maximizing Punishments. In a metagame where mistakes are becoming rarer, it's important to know how to capitalize on them to the best of your ability.

A. I don't feel it has a limited lifespan. There's enough quality in this game to keep people interested for a long time. The issue comes with bringing in new players.

A. We need to grow to be more professional as a community. Furthermore, I think competitive gaming is treated as a gimmick by most people. So, we must behave ourselves in a way more fitting for e-sports, and hope that e-sports starts taking itself more seriously.

A. Take on projects such as match casting and smasher compendiums. Cater more to the wants of the masses rather than the wants of the elite.

A. I always have the community's interests in mind, and I feel that with my knowledge, years of experience, and heavy involvement, I can contribute greatly.

OPTIONAL

1. Link:
i. Description:
2. Link:
i. Description:
3. Link:
i. Description:
4. Link:
i. Description:
5. Link:
i. Description:

1. Player:
i. Reason:
2. Player:
i. Reason:
3. Player:
i. Reason:

1. Answer:

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=90378

LLDL

Smash Hero
HugS said:
Wrong. You should limit yourself on the means you'll take to get a win.
Some extreme ways of doing whatever it takes to win can even include out-of-game factors. Such factors include:
- yelling in someone's ear to mess with their chain grab as long as it isn't against the rules
LMAO. I love that example, and I love how this problem never arose in Melee.

clowsui

Smash Legend
way to overexaggerate the extent to which it happens, mikehaze is the only player who's done it afaik

don't forget mike used to play/started w/ melee

watch as people tag me as being defensive lololol

The Upholder

Smash Journeyman
Smashboards Username: The Upholder (original account was chred2akrisp)
Region: MD/VA
Primary Character(s): Falcon, Fox
Secondary Character(s): Falco, Samus, Ganon, Mario, most of the cast actually, there's only a few characters that I haven't spent any time practicing (IC's most notably).

REQUIRED

A. Since late 04, so...7 years?

A. Though I haven't been attending tourneys lately, I do intend to return, starting with the MD/VA circuit tourneys (first is April 30th). I have attended numerous tourneys up and down the EC (RoM1/2, Pound 4/5, NoJohns biweeklies, S-POC, etc) and plan to travel more in the summer. I'm very familiar with my local and regional scene, and fairly knowledgable about the nation scene.

A. I guess average? I'm not a beginner for sure, and I'm not pro, but I think I often mess around in tourney, etc, and play very inconsistently.

A. Maybe, maybe not. I think a fair amount of people would, but I think a fair amount of people in the region are qualified to be in the MBR. Most people usually don't get the sense of me being reliable, but if it's something I think is important (such as getting the MBR more involved with the community) I'll stick to it.

A. I don't consider myself one way or the other. If I think of a problem or subject that needs discussion, I would put forth the question and encourage discussion if I think it's important. I'm equally willing to step back and let someone else take on the role, and contribute if I feel I'm able to do so.

A. I'm not an active TO, though I was one of the only TOs in the region for a period of a couple years, so I'm fairly experienced, and have helped at other events if help is needed, and I feel most people would vouch for me in that aspect.

A.To be honest, I've never really thought the Tier List to be capable of being more than vaguely accurate, especially because there are conflicting views on what it represents. In the past the MBR has insisted that the Tiers are more a representation of the characters in the current meta game then a mere reflection of ranking characters in order of tournament viability, but most of the boards tend to view them as the latter. I disagree with the methodology on HOW the tiers were created though. No matter how knowlegable a player is, they always have some bias. I think a simple vote is not a very good way to determine this. I feel a mix of quantitative and qualitative analysis would be best, but the ratio is what's important. I do feel the tiers are mostly accurate, but like I said earlier, how accurate they are depends on what you feel they represent.

A. I believe so. 5 neutrals is right for stage striking, and no matter how it's argued, FoD is a better candidate for a neutral tha stadium because of its radical changes. A hacked unhanging stadium would be interesting, but would restrict setups and cause a lot of unnecessary hassle. I also feel that the current counter picks are logical. They are most decidely not neutral, but completely predictable (for the most part), yet require a good feel for the stage and add more flavor if you will.

A. The current ruleset is as fair as possible. The only thing that has ever bothered me is that in some cases, due to the double elimination method, it is possible for 2 players to play each other, both win 3 matches, and yet one places higher than the other. Namely, if 2 players face each other in both winners and losers, the player who wins first could lose in losers, and even though both players fought evenly, one gets placed higher than the other simply because he actually lost the FIRST set. But again, there isn't a very viable method to correct this, and the situation does not come up often enough to warrant much attention.

A. Ah, the age old debate. So many ways to answer, and it depends on so many factors, not to mention how you define both of those. Some people think tech skill is merely just the ability to do things we consider "technical", or rather, difficult to do. However, it's also a measure of consistency. I think tech skill in the first sense, is rather unnecessary, or flashy, as some would put it. The latter though, is the ability to know what you are capable of doing and always completing whatever action you decide to do. Consistency is VERY important in this game. Spacing, for instance could be considered to fall into tech skill. Then we have strategy, which encompasses an equally vast number of possibilities. Matchup knowledge, stage knowledge the ability to read your opponent, to react accordingly to the situation, to think ahead.

So to answer the question, I would say...neither. Both are necessary in equal degrees, because it is impossible to simplify either one. It's also possible to increase both at the same time, so there isn't really a need to focus on either one.

A.Haha, I'm slightly biased in this sense, because I love watching and making combo videos, but again, it depends on the character and situation, though I would say that combos sort of fit more with the feeling of the game, because I feel they're more related to momentum. Momentum is the driving force in this game. If you are losing, you are not very likely to make a come back if you are on par with your opponent, but if you do manage to start going, you're going to keep going. If you can't keep your momentum, you are going to lose. Period. For instance, at pound V I 0-deathed ACE the first stock and then killed myself at close to zero. The game was even after that, but the momentum was gone. I lost the set when that happened.

A. It's not the age that's a problem (mostly), it's the connectivity, and the ability to draw attention from people who aren't active players. Think what's got the money in it? Halo. Halo has MLG. and not just Halo, but FPS's in general are simply much easier to observe, and in turn, get into. I personally don't think being fantastic in CoD4 is overall easier than being great in SSBM, but it simply appears to be so, because the things that you do need to know are not as obvious, and you can move into them more gradually. Given a manual and the game, a player could figure out how to play Halo VERY easily, or at least the basics, and then as they go along, they pick up things they need. That does exist in melee, but a player watching pros go at it and then trying it would never be able to do most of it without outside help. The barrier doesn't just end there though. The players who are still around are all experienced even though it's hard to remember. For instance, a player we consider bad in the community could still kick *** against 95% of the people who own copies of melee. So there's this wall of past experience as well as technical skill, and there isn't a real way around it. Anyone who tries to step in gets pooped on, because the only way for them to find local players is through SWF which consists of people mostly past this hurdle. Which brings me to how Halo, etc reduce the barrier, which is online play. Now, we know that online play is not tourney viable really simply because we require precise feedback and it's such a fast paced game. The thing is, it's that way too for FPS's. Players HATE lag. They love LAN. However, having an online system gives new players a way to play against other new players, automatically, and gain some experience. Online play is big, whether you agree or not. If ssbm was, for instance, rereleased at some point in the future with a decent online system, you would without a doubt see a huge influx into the community. So I mainly think that we NEED a way to simplify and broaden steps to start playing, as well as find some way to organize play other than having just a list of nearby people.

A. Uh...I think I answered that in the previous post question, mostly. Got carried away. But yeah, easily accessible online, as well as ways to lessen the barrier to entry would be fantastic.

A. Well, it's hard to say. We do have player listings, but that's mostly for people who already have a decent grasp of the game and want to integrate into the community rather than people who are just getting started. One idea I can pull of the top of my head is a variant on tutoring. For instance, have designated players in regions who have developed training routines (sort of smash education), and are the go tos for new players. Smash school almost. We currently have things like video tutorials, but those aren't really structured. We have FAqs, but they aren't integrated with the videos. Livestream "classes" of sorts would be insteresting as well.

A. Well I think my responses to the questions so far have answered this question. If my ideas and opinions, rough though they may be, are something that people could use to better our community (and I think they might), then I should be in the MBR. I put a lot of thought into these questions, because I do NOT want this community to fade. Above all that is my motivation in applying.

Rat

Smash Lord
Smashboards Username: Rat
Primary Character(s): :samus2:
Secondary Character(s):

A. I entered the midwest scene around 2008.

A. I attend every local tournament and every regional. Look forward to when the midwest comes to the coasts in force. People be sleepin on us.

A. Powerful

A. 100%. Anyone who has sat-down with me and discussed strategy, match analysis, game theory, or design can vouch for my intelligence, insight, passion, and ability create two lists in one compound sentence.

A. If I want to discuss something, I'll bring it up.

A. I co-hosted SCSYN3 (regional~60 players.) I've been a TO for other games as well (Alteil/Starchamber.) I know a TO's suffering. I do what I can to help the others. (Yelling at people can be fun!) Also, I run local smashfests and I am a panelist on the Chicago-land PR (4/5 Parenthetical per sentence.)

A. Fox isn't #1. Jiggz is a fad. Zelda is mid-tier. ICs should be part of the next tier up. So, no I don't think it's accurate.

A. When a stage forces a character change, there's a problem. When the best strategy is to camp, there's a problem. When a stage has lava, there's a problem. DK64, Brinstar, and Rainbow Cruise should be banned. FinalD and FoD should be CP.

A. Consider more than just fairness. The MBR's Recommended Rule Set also designs an experience. Consider how the rules feel. How does the act of Stage Striking feel? Clunky. Forced. Is there a simpler way to pick a fair stage? Yes. Have only 1 Neutral Stage. Reduce the number of Neutral stages so players don't need to use the Random Stage List. There are better ways to arrive at balanced stage. Also, there should be a recommended ruleset for FFAs:
Captain Falcon, Baseball Bats on high, Green Greens only.

A. If your hands can do anything but have no direction, you will lose. If you have the best strategy but cannot execute it you will lose. Both are required for victory.

A. I perfer to do nothing. Take space aggressively and defend when needed. Dumb players will get punished enough to stop approaching. Smart players will just refuse to enter bad zones. Punish them by taking space and forcing them to the corner. Once your opponent is pinned apply pressure. Punish their escapes. No Hit = Goods hit.

A. SSBM won't die until I've croaked. I'm planning to host a "Hey I'm 65" tournament. You should come.

A. Raise Awareness. Promote Teaching. Have Fun.

A. The MBR could 'stimulate' by: Promoting a National Circuit, Making better rules, providing ELO-ratings, posting erotic images, and running hacking competitions.

A. I would write questions which are narrow and stimulating instead of open-ended ones.

OPTIONAL

LINKS
1. Link: Extenderrrr
i. Description: Detailed info on the extender.
2. Link: Chicago Land PR rankings
i. Description: Originally posted in the PR group discussion, I created resource material for the group. This was a statistical method to determine player rank.
3. Link: Smash @ Rats
i. Description: The smashfests I host. Started in December, these happen whenever I feel like it. (Every 2 weeks.)

1. Player: Vro
i. Reason: He revitalized the chicago smash scene with the Vro Zones. (summertime smashfests (PC chris came to one!)) He's pushy and usually right. A Boss among Bosses.
2. Player: Cosmo
i. Reason: He wins money playing as Zelda, speed runs Zelda, and discusses Zelda clearly and intelligently. Just look at the Zelda Secret Strat discussionzone. Put him in the MBR.
3. Player: Juggleguy
i. Reason: Best TO. His tournaments run so smooth. Uploads tons of videos. Writes the melee year-in-review. Awesome guy.

1. Answer: I own it.
Instead of discussing different theories, here one I disagree with:
"Yomi" - It doesn't exist. It may seem like it does. Sometimes you know in your gut what the opponent will do. That is subconscious Pattern-Recognition not 'Yomi'. Yomi is a dream and a lie.

My community involvement, insight, and attitude would be a great addition to the MBR.

Also here's a picture of me swimming without swimming. And no, I don't sink.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Smashboards Username: Little England
Region: SoCal/MidWest
Primary Character(s): :falco:
Secondary Character(s): :fox:

REQUIRED

A. Spring 2006 I started playing competitive melee and entered about 2 or 3 tournaments a year. I started entering at least one to two tournaments a month from Fall 2008 until now.

A. In SoCal I'll travel to/enter about three tournaments every two months. I go to Purdue University in the Midwest and CunningKitsune hosts biweeklies at the school that have anywhere from 7-21 entrants. On weekends where there aren't tournaments at the school, I'll travel with Purdue smashers to another MidWest tournament.

Purdue SSBO thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160251

I'm very familiar with the local scene at Purdue and my local scene at SoCal. I'm familiar with most of the West Coast, but I have never traveled to a NorCal tournament. Though I've only been in the Midwest since August 2010, I feel I am very familiar with the region. I have not traveled to a national tournament.

I watch A LOT of melee videos on youtube. I know of a lot of players even if they are lesser known

A. I'd consider players such as Lovage and Smoke2Jointz high level. I think I’d place in the tier below them between average and high level; leaning closer to high level. I was told I'd rank between #10-15th in September 27 2010 update of the SoCal PR (I moved to Purdue before the update) and I'm currently ranked #7th in the Chicago-Land Power Rankings.
A. I believe people in SoCal would support me being a member of the MBR. I believe they have seen my drive of improvement as well as my drive to help other smashers improve. I believe several players in the area would support my inclusion.

I believe the majority of smashers in the MidWest would support me being in the MBR. Most people who have talked with me (especially in person) like me as a person, smasher, and sometimes a mentor. However some might be opposed to it. I'm very bold when I post and I'm not afraid to share my opinion. (ie. this thread generated several good responses and several opposing responses: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286961&highlight=dear+midwest)

A. In general no, but if I have an idea I care to share I'll definitely share it to listen to the thoughts of others. Like most people, I'll be able to discuss ideas that interest me more than those that don't.

A. No.

I've done a lot of traveling around my local scene in SoCal. I've traveled to several players houses over the years and have given a lot of advice to newcomers.

I've offered a lot of advice to players of all skill levels in the Midwest. At Purdue in particular I try to teach players about several of the game's fundamentals (especially for beginner/average level players). I've seen much improvement in these players over the year that I've been here. All in all, I just like helping people improve and seeing improvement.

A. I feel recent tier lists seem to have been based off of tournament results, which I disagree with. I think it should be based solely off of matchups and realistic human potential to play each character. (ie. concept: until proven, Yoshi players cannot perfect shield every attack/grab so he shouldn't be top tier) I also think different characters should be weighted differently based on tiers. (ie. A mid tier character that has a 40-60 disadvantage matchup with Fox counts for more than a different mid tier character having a 70-30 match up with Bowser). Like most I believe Jigglypuff is too high. IMO the tiers for the top characters are:
Fox
Falco/Sheik
Marth
Jigglypuff
Peach/Falcon
ICs

I'd need help with the ties. Having said ALL of this, I like this tier list a lot more than most of the tier lists made in the past. lol

A. I think it is fair, yes. Pokemon Stadium shouldn't have stayed a neutral stage for as long as it did so I'm glad that got changed to a CP (even though I play Falco lol). Though most players complain about stage striking I feel it creates a good middle ground for the first match. The CPs themselves favor floaties, semi-floaties and fast fallers equally. Even though stages like Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise can strongly skew some MUs, I think they keep the game "fresh" which is the end goal.

A. Yes, I think the rule set is fair. The only thing I would change about it is the time which I think could be changed from 8 minutes to 7. I also think pause should be turned off at all times, especially in teams! I can't count the number of times my opponents mash the start button too early and pause the game to disrupt the match.

A. They are equally important. You can not follow through with a strategy if you don't have the tech skill to pull it off. In addition, tech skill will give you more strategic options/ideas. On the other hand, having mindless tech skill will get you no where. A player who can do multi turnaround shines with Fox, but doesn't know that he should grab the ledge against a recovering Sheik will not perform in tournament.

A. My opinion on this might be based off of my current improvement goal. I've recelty been trying to find ways to initiate punishments and not get hit. From recent observation it seems to me that a player than can get a lot of hits in with moderate punishments is more effective than a player who can hardly get in, but punishes hard. If I had to pick one, I'd say initiating punishments.

A. Melee has stayed strong for about a decade. Most players thought Brawl would kill it, but the community managed to hold several (inter)national tournaments and has generated the hype it has had in the past. Age does kill good games. Street Fighter Super Turbo saw the light of about 20 years of tournament play. I expect more than that from Melee especially since Nintendo won't make another Melee remake.

A. I think several things can be done to expand the community. I feel Melee has some problems that keep it from being accessible to newcomers. Honestly, the human ego is too strong. Several casual players would rather stay at home and beat their friends and be "the best" instead of being challenged in a tournament setting. We should reinforce the truth that tournaments are much less about winning, losing, making money, etc. Tournaments are about having fun! Youtube is a huge source. I feel more promo videos should be made for large scale tournaments to show just how much of a fun time we have! Montages are a great way to do this. I've met random strangers who've seen the wombo combo. I think thats amazing. Any way we can put the community out there and show people what we do is a big step in expanding our community. I think most people got their start after watching a melee video.

Something I try to do to at tournaments is embrace new players at tournaments. Oftentimes new players will look at a player like me (who is not even pro) and be amazed at what I'm doing. At the same time it can be off-putting for them. They may seem intimidated or they don't want to expose themselves as a "bad" player. I feel these are the people we should talk to the most because they aren't pot-fillers; they are the future of this game. I try my best to talk to new faces and give them a few simple words of advice that they can implement and see improvement. I feel this is very rewarding for the community.

Lastly, I feel smashboards.com/any national tournament should be advertised. Something as simple as tagging a link to smashboards in the details section of a video or at the end of a video can be very effective. (see: VGBootcamp) Publically posting flyers of tournaments and smashboards is also something very simple that could be done to expand the community.

A. Melee thrived a lot when MLG was running the smash circuit. I feel the nature of having a circuit of large scale smash tournaments is very effective, whether they are run by MLG or not. Every major region has TO’s that are capable of hosting such a tournament in their respective regions. This would be a great way to give Melee that national competitive vibe it had during the MLG era. Furthermore, HomeMadeWaffles’ Good Player Fund was one of the best ideas to come around the community in a while. I feel more regions should follow his footsteps and set up Good Player Funds. Everybody wants to see their favorite players match up against a different region and I feel it’s a great way to keep things fresh!

A. As you can see I have a lot to say. I feel my ideas are worth sharing and I can give at least something to the betterment of the community whether I’m accepted into the MBR or not. To me, being accepted would mean that I have another way I can help the community I am so passionate about.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295524
i. Description: 10,000 Words of Power is a general improvement guide. I cover a large range of topics, but I feel I do so rather well. The guide includes video examples (accurate to the second so you don’t have to look for it :p) of several topics I write about. I write about a range of topics between Playing on Reaction and Minimizing Losses. It generated plenty of good reviews in and out of the thread. Roman, a Chicago smasher I’ve never met before, told me “I finished reading your guide, it was really helpful!” after a pools set. It was a good feeling knowing I was helping a new player and one of the highlights of that tournament for me.
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229466
i. Description: SoCal has several social threads for their area codes. Even though my area code has one of the least amounts of smashers I created a thread for it and have since used it as a way to advertise upcoming tournaments and carpools to those tournaments, smashfests, etc. It has attracted several new players as well who might have thought they’d have to travel farther than they would have to meet up and play somebody.
3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288061
i. Description: Chicago-Land Power Rankings. Though I don’t know if I was the first to recommend a PR for the region, soon after my recommendation Sveet (a local TO) made a PR for the Chicago-Land area. I was an active member of the panel.

1. Player: CKit
i. Reason: Amazing smasher. He’s a very well-spoken guy and is also incredibly good at the game! He’s taught me a lot about the Melee both through play-time and advice and hosts the very successful SSBO biweeklies at Purdue University. He’s a good friend of mine and I hold much respect for him.
2. Player: Fly Amanita
i. Reason: This guy is an amazing asset to the community. Every post he makes is like drinking a canteen of awesome lol. Very smart, knowledgeable about Melee, and mature both online and in person.
3. Player: Lovage
i. Reason: For sheer familiarity with the scene on both regional and national levels of the game, there is probably no better person. He’s a really sociable guy and knows everybody! I feel he has one of the best perspectives on the overall community and would be an amazing reference for advice on such topics. In addition he is also very knowledgeable about Melee especially when it comes to anything technical.

1. Answer: Yes I’ve read it. I do agree with him. I feel too many people think “playing to win” and “playing for fun” are exclusive when they really aren’t. I’ve seen several accounts of this over the years when playing friendlies against other people. The tantrums, quitting, and demoralization of losing matches are what will not only keep new players from improving, but it will also drive them away from the game all-together. Playing to win is completely fine. I support it. If somebody has a strategy to win they have all the right in the world to use it. In the end though, we should remember why we play this game. It’s fun!

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS: I think I’ve said enough lol. I think I’ll just close by saying that I support this new direction the MBR is going. I’m very impressed by this open application process which shows elimination the elite image some members saw in the MBR. I’m very excited for the near future.

Rat

Smash Lord
@Sveet
Thanks man. For awhile I considered recommending myself in the optional section. It's hard to walk the line between silly and serious without being garish.

Also,
I edited my answer to question 9. I found better words to describe what I was trying to say. I hope it's not too late.

Rat

Smash Lord
lolol but those *****es don't swallow or wipe that **** up. Before I play friendlies, I'm not cleaning junk juice.

Find some girl who cleans before settling for a sloppy *****.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i vote for the people who didnt choose one over the other for #10

im not applying because im on the other side of the world, but if i had to link to a post i'd link to pockyd saying that last time mogwai and i got more votes than anybody else and then werent chosen

rat, one neutral stage is extreme, but 3 neutrals and bans down to 1 stage is perfect i think

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Smashboards Username: Juggleguy
Primary Character(s): Falcon
Secondary Character(s): Marth

REQUIRED

A. Though my Smashboards registration date is August 2005, I only truly began to play competitive Melee in 2008.

A. I attend every local and almost every regional tournament in the Midwest. I know the ins and outs of my local scene here in Michigan because over the past year I've helped re-build it from an irrelevant region that struggled to break 20 tourney entrants to a hotspot that brought in over 60 entrants at our last big tourney. I'm very familiar with all the players in my regional scene thanks to my attendance at events like SCSYN3 and SMYM12 and my background as a video uploader. I've also become very familiar with the national and international scene after attending two international events (Pound 4, APEX 2010) and researching/writing the Melee Year in Review threads for both 2009 and 2010.

A. I consider myself only an average player relative to the current metagame at large; I've gotten to 2nd round pools at both nationals I've attended, but at this point in my Smash career I'm not a threat to make any national bracket yet.

A. Yes; I've been a leader in reviving the Melee scene in Michigan and I've consolidated that success into helping bring the Midwest back into shape. I coordinated with TOs in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota by creating a Google Doc that listed early 2011 Midwest Melee tourneys in order to avoid scheduling conflicts and promote traveling within our region. I record and upload videos for every regional I attend, and I've also housed dozens of out-of-state players in an effort to make their tourney experiences in Michigan better.

A. Yes; I usually bring it upon myself to generate discussion on ideas, issues, and the Melee community in general. For example, I came up with a Round Robin Bracket Hybrid format idea for Midwest tourneys and sought input from TOs and players in all regions before giving it a test run at two recent Michigan tourneys. I took over duties as author of the Melee Year in Review at the end of 2009 and did it again for 2010.

A. Yes; I've hosted eight tourneys in Michigan since the beginning of last year, starting with two house tourneys (Rob's House 1 and 2), a series of four interuniversity monthlies (SWEET I, II, III, IV), a transition local (Who's Got Salt), and a big Melee+Brawl regional (Good **** Stratford). I pretty much started from scratch; the first tourney I hosted was an 18-person local last May, and after months of community development I was fortunate enough to host a regional featuring 64 Melee entrants this past March. Our progress over the past year is unprecedented in the history of Michigan Melee and I'm always looking forward to further developing the community in my home region.

A. The current tier list is based on a compilation of votes from MBR members, so I feel like it accomplishes an accurate representation of opinion. My personal tier list is slightly different, most notably with Puff a little lower than 3rd, but obviously my opinion is just one of several in this community.

A. By staying more conservative with its range and selection, I think the current stage list is a huge improvement over the old one. Some people want to go further by removing Brinstar and/or Cruise and/or KJ64, but I don't think there has been enough evidence yet to indicate that these stages don't belong as counterpicks.

A. Yes; the current MBR recommended ruleset has proven itself over time, and there are few signs that indicate it needs an overhaul. Obviously, small revisions should be made to respond to metagame trends. I think the ruleset should more clearly address wobbling... what it is defined as and how to best enforce it as a legitimate (or banned) tournament technique.

A. While both are essential to high-level success, strong strategy allows you to optimize your game by playing to your strengths and playing to your opponent's weaknesses. A great tactician will outsmart a robotic, tech skill heavy opponent, and that's the way it should be.

A. Maximizing Punishments. The basic, underlying winning strategy for most characters in Melee revolves around taking advantage of openings and punishing hard. At this point in the metagame, openings are few and far between, so maximizing punishments is a skill that will separate high level players from average players, and pro players from high level players.

A. For everyone, there's a point down the road where life will take over and you won't be able to compete nearly as much as before. There are outside issues as well such as the halt in production of CRT TVs, Melee discs, and/or GameCube controllers. But Melee has shown a resiliency rarely seen in gaming communities these days. As long as new generations of players are introduced and developed into the competitive tournament scene, as they have been fairly successfully to this day, Melee will be around for as long as its players want it to be.

A. The Melee community has an incredible amount of untapped potential. Just these past couple years, we've seen the explosion of Melee onto the media through YouTube and live streaming, the expansion of tournaments into international events, and fundraising efforts with the Good Player Fund to attract top players to west coast events. Each of these three categories can still be expanded upon to create a bigger and more innovative Smash community. Coverage of Melee tourneys can be more professional and more widespread throughout the country; an example of a hype generator is a post-tourney, SportsCenter-like highlight reel such as this one that Reneblade and I produced for SMYM12. Smarter tournament organization is still at the heart of creating fun and attracting more players to events; two things that can help are an acquisition of bigger sponsors and a more systematic method to optimize tourney running time. And organized fundraising efforts such as the GPF speak to the value of money in this community; a reliable flow of money from donations or sponsors can provide flexibility and catalyze the growth/expansion of Melee tournaments for years to come.

A. A common complaint from the past is that normal Smashboards users are kept in the dark about MBR discussions. Something like a quarterly publication of new material would help make the MBR more accountable and keep everyone informed about community progress. Groups of MBR members should be fleshed out to concentrate on very specific aspects of community expansion and publish their research and efforts on a consistent basis. The back room already has projects in place like a Smasher Database, Hacking, etc. but there should be specialized teams dedicated to improving tournament organization or promoting Smash in the media.

A. I have a lot to say on how the Melee community can innovate, maintain attendance power, and expand into areas previously thought to be impossible. I also think I have a unique role in this community with my strong background in both video recording/uploading and tournament organization. For example, right now I'm working on a statistics project that uses archived videos from tourneys I've hosted with tio set count records in those same tourneys. This is to simulate typical tourney running time and to optimize the number of recorded sets at future events after considering factors such as average set time, average number of players missing from the venue, and number of recording setups. Not just anyone can take on projects like these. I'm confident my knowledge and experience in several areas of the Melee community would be beneficial to the MBR.

OPTIONAL

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=259596 and http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=297413
i. Description: Melee 2009 Year in Review and Melee 2010 Year in Review. I took over for AlphaZealot, who wrote the 2007 thread. I did research on the biggest tournaments of the year and ran rough drafts by top players and TOs before publishing these. I think the final products have been great for raising awareness of national Melee storylines and generating discussion on community issues.

2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=296648
i. Description: Round Robin Bracket Hybrid Format. I came up with this idea after a late losers bracket match was unfortunately conceived at SWEET IV; this hybrid format combines sections of losers bracket into four-player round robins where the top player then advances two traditional double-elimination rounds. The thread itself features some great discussion on bracketology.

3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=261650
i. Description: *Pound 4* Videos Thread. Chibo was briefly in charge of the thread, but he was too busy, so I took over. I personally recorded over 400 matches at Pound 4 and had them all uploaded within two weeks. I'm pretty sure this is still the biggest video thread for a single tournament in Smashboards history, haha.

4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301195
i. Description: MLG Melee footage re-uploaded videos thread. A user named sweetxignorance originally had these vids on his channel, but he quit Smash and deleted his YouTube account. I took the responsibility of recovering/re-uploading the MLG footage and also overhauled all the video titles, which were originally labeled pretty poorly.

5. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286110
i. Description: SWEET interuniversity monthly series, original thread. This was an innovative gamble that I and my co-TOs took to revive the Melee scene here in Michigan. We hosted monthlies that alternated venues between the University of Michigan and Michigan State University to promote Melee across the state. They were really successful: we went from 33 entrants, to 34, to 48, and to 50 in just four months.

1. Player: BigD
i. Reason: Very few people make me go “he’s right about that” as much as BigD does. He has a veteran’s wealth of knowledge about the community and the game; despite his relative obscurity on SWF (he’s been around far longer than his new account indicates), he’s easily one of the best posters on the entire site.

2. Player: Ankoku
i. Reason: If I were in charge of hiring people to lead Smash projects, the first person I'd talk to is Ankoku. He has a proven track record with his work on the Brawl character rankings project, and the service I’ve seen him provide to the Michigan community through his video production and tournament organization cannot be understated.

3. Player: Alex Strife
i. Reason: Nobody organizes better high-profile tournaments than Alex Strife. I'm always impressed by the amount of work he pours into setting up national venues and making sure things run smoothly the weekend of the event. His advice on community growth has personally helped me set the bar high for the Melee scene in Michigan.

1. Answer: Yes, I’ve read Sirlin’s theories. I have to agree on what constitutes a “scrub mentality” because it’s an accurate evaluation of what often holds lower-level players back from succeeding in Melee. His ramblings on the line between ideal gameplay and abusing winning tactics are probably more applicable to other fighting games, but it can also be a refreshing outlook on techniques like wobbling in Melee.

Over the past couple years, I've already worked on several Melee projects (see the ones listed above) on my own time and I have no plans to slow down in contributing to the Melee community. I've never been one to sidestep from responsibility, whether it's uploading hours of video footage, housing a dozen out-of-state players, making sure a tournament finishes on schedule, or publishing a Smash article on time... and I would maintain that approach as a member of the MBR.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i vote for the people who didnt choose one over the other for #10
See i think thats a total cop out.

The obvious answer to the question is "both." Its such a loaded question. "Derp, should you know how to do something but not be able too, or should you be able to do anything and not know which?, derrrp"

I think theres more value to be had n reading people's responses who actually sacked up and chose a side an defended. Im pretty sure everyone knows "both" is the politically correct answer.

Top Bottom