• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CEO 2011 Fighting Game Championships Orlando FL, 18,000Sqft Venue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Melee attendance was weak.

At least the general skill level was high (lots of power rank level players along with DruggedFox and his teammate).

We just need the numbers next time guys <_<. If everybody thinks that it's gonna be a small turnout, then nobody is gonna go and it will be a small turnout. Self fulfilling prophecies suck

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I gotchu Kinky Minky

lol @ you sleeping like 10-5. your sleep pattern's ****ed up now

Frames

DI
Melee attendance was weak.

At least the general skill level was high (lots of power rank level players along with DruggedFox and his teammate).

We just need the numbers next time guys <_<. If everybody thinks that it's gonna be a small turnout, then nobody is gonna go and it will be a small turnout. Self fulfilling prophecies suck
actually 30 dollar door fees suck. and i mean that in strictly a financial sense, not to discredit any of the hosts or the venue because i'm sure it was all amazing, its just that things like that deter attendance (i know that's why i didn't go, not because i didn't feel like it was justified, but it was just a little too high for me given my current financial situation)

also i feel like a big problem was that it seems like smash had to compete with other games with huge dominant communities. remember when brawl came out and people were like "you can't host both games at tournaments because it just makes each one less as good of an experience than two separate tournaments". well i feel like thats probably a big problem with this, smash can have good turnouts when it's just smash, but going up against marvel and street fighter, nobodys even going to look at smash.

the last big fl tournament melee wise...wasn't it the last noob that was at ucf?? that was like 50 or something? idk about sfl if you guys have big turnouts but im pretty sure that was the last big thing here (if someone else knows otherwise feel free to correct).

the trick to having a big fl melee tournament is to find a central location, that's cheap, and a decent distance for the north and the south, and that has good power, close to food, close to an airport, etc etc really just a good venue for tournaments. i really think ucf could be good if we just come together and get a really good venue, not necessarily the biggest venue ever, but something that's a good size. bringing the big names also helps (besides hungrybox! lmao), really all of this stuff is standard for every tournament, but for some reason we just cant find anything good in fl even though i think as a state we have one of the best communities melee wise, apart from WC and the north

anyhoo that's my 2 cents so hopefully we can make somethin work

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
And the reason that the other fighting games got such big attendance is because this was a "road to evo" stop (you get seeding points for evo 2011). That attracted top level players from around the world, which in turn attracted a lot of newer players (which ensured there'd be decent attendance so everybody went. Yay self fulfilling prophecies?)

I guess I can understand people not going because of the door fee, but I've payed 40$+ for entry to national tournaments before (the door fees aren't that high, but entry fee itself tends to get inflated at nationals). It's just that there was like no hype for this one and for some reason no smash players will travel to florida

pesticide

Smash Lord
for anyone who cares: i ended up tieing for 2nd in the chess tournament i was playing in and made $270. but this weekend really made the differences between chess and brawl tournaments clear to me.

brawl tournaments >>>>>>> chess tournaments

hype + cooler people + hanging out away from the tournament + other random fun stuff + etc. = the brawl community and tournaments are just plain more fun. aside from making the chess money, i would have much rather played in the singles bracket and chilled with every1 yesterday

o wellz. still had fun. also was cool seein some of the guys ive played on wifi that dont play in many (or any) offline tourneys. now just waitin for the results thread

Pengie

Smash Lord
It's just that there was like no hype for this one and for some reason no smash players will travel to florida
Recently FL has been doing a god awful job at hyping up tournaments and drumming up interest. The last five or so tournaments her have barely broken 15 entrants if that. All in all I'd say that we've hit a drought in activity. As for no one wanting to come to Fl, you can't really blame them; what reason do they have to come here when the only players here are complete no names outside of Fl. The lack of videos being put out by Fl really doesn't help the fact that no one wants to come here. Add that on top of the fact that Fl is probably an expensive flight for most people and it's not really all that shocking that one wants to come here.

I wasn't really surprised that this fell on its face as far as Melee goes; there was literally no hype surrounding it. I personally couldn't make it due to prior engagements (ACT and paintball with friends afterwards on Saturday), but If that weren't the case I definitely would have made it out. I'm starting to miss the 2008/2009 days here in Florida when the scene was extremely active. It's funny how when Melee was supposedly dead in the rest of the country, Florida was one of the only places that had a thriving community of Melee players, and now that Melee made a comeback the community here has petered out a bit in terms of activity; that's a shame because I feel that even though we're not as active, the average skill has gotten pretty high.

I rambled on a bit but TL;DR: Florida Melee needs to step it up in terms of hype and activity!!!

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Jebailey doesn't want Smash next year.

In part, I blame myself for the low attendance. I feel that if I would have made the thread, focused more on advertising the tournament, and perhaps gone around to different regions, made sigs, etc. this would have had the turnout it deserved.

I was quite busy in the months following up to this tournament, fixing up my college stuff, finishing up my last year of High School and doing Senior duties, working with Chorus, job searching, Girlfriend, etc.

However, I am still hopeful. Florida does have a good scene, whatever way you look at it, it's just that people don't seem to trust tournament viability at times.

I'm going to announce WATO15 soon. I want it to be a legit event, though I know the venue has always been an issue. However, I still want people to come out to it. $5 Door + Events should eliminate the excuse of a tourney being too costly to attend. At this point, I want FL Smash to stop being a joke compared to the massiveness that is Street Fighter and MvC. We're better than that.

I hope everyone who did come had a blast at this. Thank you for those who traveled, and thank you to Jebailey for organizing such a successful event.

The people I housed Friday Night: You guys were awesome.

Smashmac is too good.

Linguini: GG's in teams and GF

Georgia: Your melee players are legit

Cosplay girls: Sup

more shoutouts later.

Come to WATO15, Dammit.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
The entrance/door fee was far too steep, that's why I didn't go.

Especially since the tourney wasn't nationally hyped and I don't care about other fighters. Been going to local tourneys for 6 years, I'm definitely NOT paying $30 to go play with people I've been playing with for years. Because that' what this was for smash, essentially a local tourney with only local turnout.

Frames I'm placing my faith in you to organize a large national tourney for us. Cause you're the only one who's successfully done it in the past (FAST). I agree UCF would be great. And UCF students get 1/2 off the big meeting/conference rooms.

We should just have some small tourneys to raise some money for renting out a room.

EDIT: I'd have faith in hungrybox too. So hbox + frames, national tourney in Orlando FL, let's go!

Linguini

Smash Master
I agree that the fees were way too high but as dak sonic said it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Either way I still had a lot of fun and gg's to all. juan you should make WATO15 melee only, imo thats the biggest flaw in your tournaments.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I agree that the fees were way too high but as dak sonic said it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Either way I still had a lot of fun and gg's to all. juan you should make WATO15 melee only, imo thats the biggest flaw in your tournaments.
i still dont understand how having brawl at his tourney hurts his melee attendance at all. not like it hurts the running schedule either cause melee always starts first

sucks you guys couldnt get too much hype for melee though. The hard part about holding a national for me seems to be the startup money for the venue. If i had that secured id have no problem running a melee/brawl national

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
for anyone who cares: i ended up tieing for 2nd in the chess tournament i was playing in and made $270. but this weekend really made the differences between chess and brawl tournaments clear to me.

brawl tournaments >>>>>>> chess tournaments

hype + cooler people + hanging out away from the tournament + other random fun stuff + etc. = the brawl community and tournaments are just plain more fun. aside from making the chess money, i would have much rather played in the singles bracket and chilled with every1 yesterday

o wellz. still had fun. also was cool seein some of the guys ive played on wifi that dont play in many (or any) offline tourneys. now just waitin for the results thread
Very legit post. I'm glad that i mean more to you than 270$ potentially. :D
You're a really awesome guy Dalton. Glad to have you back, and GREAT JOB winning 2nd. Thats really impressive man.

Cosplay girls: Sup
This made me laugh WAAAAY more than it should have.
Bravo.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
No shout out to me for winning teams and getting 2nd? And for helping you clean up? XDDDD
note there were no shoutouts in his post, just posting who won the tourneys

shoutouts are usually in the results thread, bro

B_AWAL

Smash Master
1st off... ISH WAS ****ING EPIC!!!!

2nd off ISH WAS ****ING EPIC!!!!!!!!

3rd off THERE WILL B MORE SMASH IN THE FUTURE

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Only reason this wasn't nationally hyped was because the players didn't hype it.

As soon as this was announced on SRK forums, players jumped on this. Along came the way, Justin Wong, Mike Ross, Gootecks, Tokido, GamerBee, Tom Brady, and other pros decided to come. This was before this tourney was put on the EVO schedule. SRK holds there **** down.

Let me bring an example on how SWF doesn't hold it down. Last year, a tourney known as GAMME was announced for June and the fraud TO listed things such as guaranteed payouts of thousands of dollars. Word of this money led players to decide to go to this tourney and not the experience themselves. Some players already bought ways to get to Orlando for that event and had no choice but to go once the event was found out to be a sham. Same thing happened to Winterfest, players like Mango, JMan, Ally, Gnes and more decided to come because they saw that GUARANTEED PAYOUTS. Fraudulent tournaments bring fraudulent results.

Jebailey saved the event of GAMME and thus birthed CEO with only 4 weeks of prep. SRK decided to take it upon themselves and believe that Jebailey could do much more with 8 months (and he did, those that went to CEO 2011 know). SWF decided let's (A) do nothing, (B) host tournaments on the same day in other regions even though CEO had the date months in advance, (C) hold back the event by not giving the proper hype and sticky it deserves after the TO followed all the rules the admins asked of him, and (D) talk down upon the event itself as if the TO is trying to take their money.

260+ players each entered MvC3 and SSFIV:AE. Only a small portion of that amount of players had not only a realistic chance of winning, but a realistic chance of making money as well. Did they care about it? Probably not because they came to event for what it was for, an experience like no other. Some of those players had to spend $50+ just to get in and compete but they would do it again. After reading the last couple of comments, I doubt the same would happen for Smash. Jebailey even had medals to give to the players for their performance in Smash, the same medals he had for other games as well, trying to treat this game as somewhat of an equal to the other games, but for what? I found one medal on the floor on Saturday night while I was cleaning the Smash section up. Really?

Anyhow, what's done is done. All the players at this tournament that placed in the money in their respective games got their money same day. All the players that placed top 3 in their respective games got some sort of a long-standing reward along with the cash prize in medals. No hotel situation like Pound 5 where payouts haven't been given out yet. To all those that came, I hope you had a good time. I did my best with what was given and I hope you think I did a good job. Thanks HungryBox for taking care of Melee while I had to deal with Brawl pools. Thanks GDX, Exdeath, 2link, and Cecil of NLL for helping me out during pools and brackets. Thanks Xaltis for helping me after the tourney, cleaning the area even though he didn't have to. Thanks Jebailey for trusting in me to TO this tourney as I have never run a tourney before, much less one I wasn't even supposed to run. I made the sacrifice to make sure Smash wasn't a disaster that it could've been.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Knowing that Jebailey went through the trouble of giving Smash an equal amount of attention as AE and MvC3 just makes the Smash community look even worse. Here's someone from the one place that everyone likes to say hates us and he's offering us a shot to be on even footing with arguably the two biggest fighting games out there, and we drop the ball miserably. Also, if I remember correctly, had Smash (either game) been large enough it might have ended up being streamed as well; I think this was another huge missed opportunity because it shows that the animosity between Smash and SRK isn't nearly as bad once you remove the trolls and the idiots from both sides. Overall, I feel like this was a missed opportunity to bridge the gap between Smash and SRK.

pesticide

Smash Lord
Very legit post. I'm glad that i mean more to you than 270$ potentially. :D
You're a really awesome guy Dalton. Glad to have you back, and GREAT JOB winning 2nd. Thats really impressive man.
:D This made me happy. Thanks! I really have no clue why I disappeared from tournaments for a couple of months but I'm glad to be back too.

VSC.D-Torr said:
I found one medal on the floor on Saturday night while I was cleaning the Smash section up. Really?
This made me sad though :(

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom