• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I see you disagree with my MW falcon brethern Juggleman.

You dont get to take a dig at me without me saying something back, im wayyyyyyyyyyyy too bored for that.

Soon joe, @ 11ish? Maybe 10.

D

Deleted member

how do you counter your opponents crouch cancel?
space really well and/or hit them with a hard move

vs crap opponents they crouch cancel early so you can prepare in time

vs better ones you gotta assume they will do it last second

falcon has some fabulous long legs with nair so hit them with ur tippy toes, not ur thighs

strong knee works

stomp is basically uncrouchable

up-air space it well

---

in case you ****ed up and you know it and they will crouch --> counter-attack, if they are at medium percentage+ you could rush gentlemen and if their percentage is high enough gentlemen will knock them down

low percentage gentlemen --> depends on spacing, if spaced far away you'll usually not get punished, if too close you will get pwned

--

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Just got back from a Pittsburgh tourney, and I've already re-watched some of my sets that were recorded. I realize I do so much unnecessary **** and I need to work on efficient movement that creates first hit openings.

What do you guys do in the neutral game? Old school Falcons used to dash dance camp all day, but I don't see that very much anymore. Some Falcons play matchups in the extreme opposite, like SS against Taj (link) where he's just double jumping around for 90% of the game.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
SS plays the weirdest Falcon ever though <.<

I think a mix of well spaced aerials and dash dancing (super vague I know) is what you want to do because you don't want to be too predictable with what you're doing ... ya know?

Man, too vague ... whatever

Just like, learn how to use all your aerials because they're all really important for your neutral game

Nair is fast and outranges almost everyone in front of you
Autocancel Bair stuffs people cold if they jump into it
Uair scoops people from below / scaredy cat jumpers
Runback Dair is like an autokill at some %s and beats CC
Knee is super effective on shield and is also fairly effective on CC just because it's super strong

They're all mad good at what they do so you have to like ... know how to use them
And ****
<_<
Sigh whatever

Should've had Vanz's Peach Jugglyguy, that was tragic but ... ****ing hilarious hahahaha

Brookman

Smash Hero
dash dancing is one of the easiest thing to be bad at in the game.

@wenbo: Up air hits on front as well, and is faster than nair. should maybe learn your own aerials ;]

Anyway, shffl knee on shield into grab is stupidly good, anyone not using this after last week ( 2 weeks maybe, now?)

Anyway, juggle, in regard to that SS play, there is no wrong way to eat a reese's. You really just need to develope a style that is unique (without being overly ****ty and easy to punish.) Post your matches and we can take them apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A14FkQ-ATk&feature=feedu_more here's a good one vs. ORLY. I'm not watching it yet, but I am sub'd to you on the tube so I'll get around to it later and other people can to in the mean time. As a brief, It looks like you have no idea what you're doing have the time. I mean, on the surface, it looks like you know what you're doing but deep down that you probably don't. That or ORLY is just way better than you. (no offense)

Nakamaru

Smash Master
i figured people would either love the song or dislike it entirely. It has been stuck in my head and i've been drumming it for the past week so i decided to make a video. lol

0Room

Smash Lord
I liked the song, I felt like it fit, you synched the video well with it.
For LHDL, I always think of SS dtilting->knee

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
@ Brookman maybe I don't know what I'm doing, it certainly feels that way sometimes. but I'll need more specific advice than "looks like you don't know what you're doing"

I guess my most recent recorded matches would be vs Carroll and vs VanZ. I think I had both stretches of good play and stretches of terrible play in both these sets.

vs Carroll http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcsFUq05D3I
vs VanZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOpRDbvq6OQ

@ Nakamaru thanks for playing those matches with me, it was a good time

Walt

Smash Ace
oh well thats ok. im always looking for smashers who drum too, so i can team with them. i have a special team in mind.

drummers get at me?
The drummer in my band that never practices (I'm not even sure we ever told him he's our drummer) I was sorta teaching smash to for a while.

What's the project out of curiosity?

Brookman

Smash Hero
@juggle: The first thing that becomes apparent to me is your use of dash dancing and double jumping. You do these two things a lot and in very readable/non-threatening ways. I'll get back to you more in depth but at the moment I am leaving for work :D

p.s. your gentleman is tight as hell tho. You also seem to have a really good grasp of the bair. I feel like you don't throw knees out nearly enough, although I don't mean. .( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOpRDbvq6OQ&t=1m3s ) . . launch yourself desperately at the opposing character with knee, just kinda space it so that they can easily run/jump into it without being able to grab you for it. You can kinda use down air in a similar way.

What i mean is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOpRDbvq6OQ&t=1m06s After the falcon kick here you're soft dash dancing (slow, very far away). . . you jump in and . . . double jump. there's no stage control here. Vanz is able to pull and regain half the stage. Part of this is intuition and part of this is experience. I'm not really firm inside the peach/falcon match up (fish for grab, combo, iirc??), but that's kinda beside the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOpRDbvq6OQ&t=2m41s So here you come back, kinda . .. malfuction on the way down and its right back to dash left. . .. dash right. . . .dash left. . .. random read attempt. . .

sad end to the first match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOpRDbvq6OQ&t=5m10s
The things you do well, you do extremely well. vs. sheik I probably can't help you at all :D
Vanz is just raining moves on you so there's probably a lot more pressure. This second match was pretty ugly :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOpRDbvq6OQ&t=5m59s - 6:04 (derp dancing)

My conclusion: you don't have a lot of experience vs. sheik and so, you weren't really able to play vs. vanz as a player.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Thanks for the critique Brookman. You confirmed a lot of things that I thought about my own playing style. Definitely agree with your point about the nonthreatening neutral game spacing and the fact that I don't use knee enough. I'm gonna work on the "spacing so opponent could potentially easily run into it" stuff you mentioned. And cutting way down on unnecessary moves/movement.

It is true that I don't have Sheik experience, but I feel like I wouldn't necessarily need all that much if I just improved on other aspects of my game such as the ones pointed out above. I feel like getting good at a matchup only comes after getting good at spacing/zoning in general. I gotta work a lot harder on the fundamentals.

Top Bottom