• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Basically, banning MK was the hugest mistake that has been done on Brawl's lifeline. Almost all of the good players will quit because of it and when the community is dead almost non existent it will already be too late to revoke any decision. R.I.P. Super Smash Bros. Brawl Offline Community as we know it.
Both NE and NY/NJ have run MK banned tourneys, and both had overwhelming success and great feedback with it. A couple top players in both regions complained, that's about it. The "most top players will quit" argument is pretty bad at this point and just plain false. If Brawl is to die soon, it would not matter if MK were banned or not.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
M2K is the only top player that has said he would quit. NO ONE and I literally mean no one else, has said they are quitting or going to quit.

please do not spout something that is entirely wrong
Anti is quitting this game after Apex 2012.

Data shows that the majority of users who use Metaknight in tournaments also use other characters.

In other words, all those Metaknight mains have other characters they can fall back to.

Jem.

Smash Master
Well, I'm not a top player, but I am 99% not attending a National again now that MK will be banned at them after Apex. I think Tyrant said he'd quit too, but I can't say if that's true. It's already stupid enough that you can't get your tournament featured on here unless you use the almighty gods Unity rules. Glad the future of Brawl is in the hands of a man who lost to Ganon semi-recently, and a man who will defend PS2 being a good tournament stage until the end. And 15 others.

By the way, who from West Coast is in the URC? Just curious.

zmx

Smash Lord
Zmx, why are you ignoring me?
Did you say something directed at me? A lot of posts are coming and I might have missed it, sorry.

ATT: Bizkit

I know PS2 was banned at some point. Not in the unity ruleset but still. Why was that? People hadn't adapted to the gimmicks? And I know I can't be the only one that finds PS2 being legal weird.

And I've seen a few pretty good Japanese MK videos. No, they don't do super defensive planking but planking is not just an MK issue. More importantly, it can be fixed by an extremely low LGL. Banning the whole character cannot be justified just because some MK users plank too much.

As for Euro, admittedly I haven't seen any Top uber MKs but it's quite possible that they don't make it to the finals as often simply because Euros can deal with them better. He is the best character after all. I highly doubt he isn't overused at least a bit as he is in other places.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
Both NE and NY/NJ have run MK banned tourneys, and both had overwhelming success and great feedback with it. A couple top players in both regions complained, that's about it. The "most top players will quit" argument is pretty bad at this point and just plain false. If Brawl is to die soon, it would not matter if MK were banned or not.
The only truth is that MK is what made this game competitive and in my opinion challeneging, without MK its just not gonna be the same. Whoever decided on banning MK is a moron because they just killed Brawl as we know it, it wont ever be the same and it will die and you all know it.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
So when is everyone going to wake up and realize Brawl is cannibalize itself here when it no longer has to? Given the choice between patch or ban, anyone with half a brain should prefer the former. Unless of course Meta Knight killed your family or something.

It's going to take a success story with Project M to show an SD card is less of a barrier than banning a character, especialy when the setup is oh soo easy. Without making this simple realization, the Brawl scene will just have to continue imposing more and more ridiculous rules over time. Perhaps it is time to actually start thinking about taking real steps forward, and not 2 steps back.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
Basically, banning MK was the hugest mistake that has been done on Brawl's lifeline. Almost all of the good players will quit because of it and when the community is dead almost non existent it will already be too late to revoke any decision. R.I.P. Super Smash Bros. Brawl Offline Community as we know it.
lol this has got to be the dumbest post i have ever seen.

dear god rofl.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I wonder what would happen if literally every MK and pocket MK just switched to Marth

and Marth was a choice for 30% of players and won 50% of winnings.

It would be entertaining.

zmx

Smash Lord
The recent Juice tournament had a very low number of entrants iirc. Like around 40. So think about it. If only a portion are attending the tourny, clearly they are going to say positive stuff about it. They might have gone for a specific reason : MK not being there. It doesn't reflect what the entire competitive community thinks.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
The only truth is that MK is what made this game competitive and in my opinion challeneging, without MK its just not gonna be the same. Whoever decided on banning MK is a moron because they just killed Brawl as we know it, it wont ever be the same and it will die and you all know it.
the 14 most influential TOs in the nation made the desicion by a 14-0 vote.

I guess the TOs are all ******** and don't know what the scene needs

The only reason why MK was still even legal all this time is because we placed sketchy, artificial rules on him to nerf him and keep him from truly ruining tournaments. Banning MK was the smart thing to do, not keeping him legal with bad rules.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
M2K isn't even going to quit the game.

How many times has he said that already?

When he sees a tournament is gonna be mk banned he's going to post a giant rant about it and say how he hates this community and he's never entering a tournament again and then a week before the tournament he's gonna come back and say he overreacted and then play marth or some ****.

Most likely the same case with Anti.
People just like being overdramatic.
They aren't going to give up the chance to win free money over something so trivial.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
So when is everyone going to wake up and realize Brawl is cannibalize itself here when it no longer has to? Given the choice between patch or ban, anyone with half a brain should prefer the former. Unless of course Meta Knight killed your family or something.

It's going to take a success story with Project M to show an SD card is less of a barrier than banning a character, especialy when the setup is oh soo easy. Without making this simple realization, the Brawl scene will just have to continue imposing more and more ridiculous rules over time. Perhaps it is time to actually start thinking about taking real steps forward, and not 2 steps back.
Believe it or not, not everybody has access to BB. It's the same reason why DLC characters in fighters are stupid.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
M2K isn't even going to quit the game.

How many times has he said that already?

When he sees a tournament is gonna be mk banned he's going to post a giant rant about it and say how he hates this community and he's never entering a tournament again and then a week before the tournament he's gonna come back and say he overreacted and then play marth or some ****.

Most likely the same case with Anti.
People just like being overdramatic.
They aren't going to give up the chance to win free money over something so trivial.
m2k is actually looking for a job. if that's not proof that he's quitting then idk what is

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i can almost guarantee that noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo top player is going to quit just because mk is banned lmao

like.... all of them have good secondaries.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
lololololololololololololololololol at newbies reactions.
Don't mistake some of the "newbies" for banned pros who made a new profile
just to rant on this thread.

And top players didn't get to where they are by MK alone. Its the skill, which they
can use on any character they put effort into, that gave them that place.

This point was debated to the death in two other threads a while time ago. Mods shouldn't replace the original game is basically what it boils down to.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I wonder what would happen if literally every MK and pocket MK just switched to Marth

and Marth was a choice for 30% of players and won 50% of winnings.

It would be entertaining.
You seem to be forgetting his extremely gimpable recovery and lack of options in the event of a potential gimping, as opposed to the multi-talented bat. Marth requires a level of precision and caution that most MK mains (excluding the top MKs) aren't too familiar with. Not to mention ROB, DDD, ICs, and some others pose a suitable enough threat to Marths in bracket. You have to consider more than just a black-and-white slippery slope result.

Gambe17

Smash Cadet
just cause they got good secondaries dont mean they wont quit brawl cause of you stupid nooblets banning one of the most fun characters to use

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Don't mistake some of the "newbies" for banned pros who made a new profile
just to rant on this thread.
who was banned?!

btw making an account is IP based now, not email based

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I already answered this in depth in a previous post.
No, you listed three, one of which wanted MK banned. You then made the sweeping statement that the rest were MK mains who would obviously vote against the ban which may or may not be true.

Fill this in:

1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)
7.)
8.)

Doesn't have to be in order.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
m2k is actually looking for a job. if that's not proof that he's quitting then idk what is
Many people maintain stable jobs and enter tournaments at the same time, though.

Still, free money.

Nobody would pass that up.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Believe it or not, not everybody has access to BB.
No, but you can bet anyone this regional ban affects certainly does.

This point was debated to the death in two other threads a while time ago. Mods shouldn't replace the original game is basically what it boils down to.
You are right, banning a character is a much better solution. :urg: Besides, banning a character is the exact opposite of staying true to the game. That argument no longer holds any weight.

just cause they got good secondaries dont mean they wont quit brawl cause of you stupid nooblets banning one of the most fun characters to use
1. Quit with the insults.

2. There's no evidence to support any of your claims, unless you're going to also claim that you can see into the future. You say that MK mains are going to quit. How many? Do you know the reasons for each and everyone who quits? Cite your sources.

Also, are you also going to assume that by keeping MK legal, nobody is going to quit?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You seem to be forgetting his extremely gimpable recovery and lack of options in the event of a potential gimping, as opposed to the multi-talented bat. Marth requires a level of precision and caution that most MK mains (excluding the top MKs) aren't too familiar with. Not to mention ROB, DDD, ICs, and some others pose a suitable enough threat to Marths in bracket. You have to consider more than just a black-and-white slippery slope result.
And Ike !

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I know PS2 was banned at some point. Not in the unity ruleset but still. Why was that? People hadn't adapted to the gimmicks? And I know I can't be the only one that finds PS2 being legal weird.
Tons of people find it weird that PS2 is legal and say other stages like Japes/Norfair should be legal first, but that's besides the point. PS2 was just discarded early in Brawl's lifetime for no real reason as far as I can see. Most people just complain that they don't like the physic changes that happen for an incredibly small amount of time. Out of all the matches I've played on PS2, nothing gay really happens that the opponent can't control just as easily. If you watch my CoT5 match vs Nairo you'll see what I mean.

And I've seen a few pretty good Japanese MK videos. No, they don't do super defensive planking but planking is not just an MK issue. More importantly, it can be fixed by an extremely low LGL. Banning the whole character cannot be justified just because some MK users plank too much.
M2K still manages to time out and become untouchable for a great majority of the match with MK even with the LGL. Stages like Smashville and RC allow for the LGL to be almost ignored. What now? Add a scrooging rule as well? How many rules do we have to make for one character before we realize there's something wrong with this character? Making a super low LGL is pretty problematic as well. It would help a little, but also target the MK users unfairly to the point where an opponent can count the LGs during the match and even if they're just normal recovering ledge grabs, try to time out the MK to get him to lose by LGs.

I'm not even going to comment on other characters planking, because NONE are in the tier of MK's planking. G&W's is close, but guess what, he eats up ledge grabs x10 as fast as MK, since he does not have multiple jumps and has to Up B pretty fast. Same goes for DK, so putting in a ridiculously low LG for them too would easily be a terrible idea.

As for Euro, admittedly I haven't seen any Top uber MKs but it's quite possible that they don't make it to the finals as often simply because Euros can deal with them better. He is the best character after all. I highly doubt he isn't overused at least a bit as he is in other places.
It's all speculation until the top Euro players come here and fight our top MKs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom