• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does it take to be banned?

Kal

Smash Champion
No, I just can't turn it off. Though I think "The Iron Robot Woobie" would be a cool title. But it's not as succinct as "The Iron Woobie."

Kal

Smash Champion
There's a difference between a character winning the most money and a character being played the most. Isn't it something like 80% of the community who does not play Meta Knight?

Varist

Smash Lord
Half of that whole Meta Knight winnings bar is M2K. M2K represents 40% of the community? Actually, I'd believe it.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Im against mkban but you do realize that the less representation makes the figures even worse right? Like if mk wins that much of the money but was represented by only 5% of players that would be an incredibly startling statistic. But damn, if that is an accurate graph heh 2beast

Also I really want to see a melee version of that graph. Imo melee gets decent representation, even cosmo been pullin monies for zelda
:phone:

JPOBS

Smash Hero

you were saying?

edit:I've always wondered what the melee version of this graph would look like. Would fox take everybody's money or falco?
Thats like trying to tell me Canada has a bigger population than India because canada has a higher GDP.

absolutely ********.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh noes!

A character is being used a lot.

What bunch of ****ing bunk to base the criterion for banning him off of. I wish the Brawl community would focus on the fact that Metaknight arguably "breaks" their game, not based on how much money he makes or how often he's used.

Smooth Criminal

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Im against mkban but you do realize that the less representation makes the figures even worse right? Like if mk wins that much of the money but was represented by only 5% of players that would be an incredibly startling statistic. But damn, if that is an accurate graph heh 2beast

Also I really want to see a melee version of that graph. Imo melee gets decent representation, even cosmo been pullin monies for zelda
:phone:
The first point is a good one... But also I'd be really interested in the melee graph aswell!

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
What bunch of ****ing bunk to base the criterion for banning him off of. I wish the Brawl community would focus on the fact that Metaknight arguably "breaks" their game, not based on how much money he makes or how often he's used.

Smooth Criminal
It's a known fact that mk is broken. Rules had to be invented to keep him in the game. If the rules weren't invented then mk would literally be untouchable.

Cape glitch plus unlimited planking.

edit:seriously I want to see a melee graph. I already know fox and falco would take more than half anyway, but it would still be cool to see. plus kirbykaze if you're going to say brawl has crappy characters then you should acknowledge melee's crappy characters.
we all know how good pichu, kirby, and bowser are :troll:

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Pichu is a ****ing monster.

Btw, even if Fox and Falco take the most money, it's probably just because most pleyers like spacies. Unlike Metaknight, they aren't as centralizing in the overview of the metagame and are definitely beatable.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's a known fact that mk is broken. Rules had to be invented to keep him in the game. If the rules weren't invented then mk would literally be untouchable.

Cape glitch is stalling and there are already rules for that in place.

Planking? Unbeatable? Has the Brawl community truly proven this? What about DMG's experiment all those moons ago where he established that while it wasn't truly unbeatable it was just really good? Doesn't Logic's Anti-Planking work at all?

And I think Melee players acknowledge the fact that their game has its own demerits. I think Brawl players have a harder time owning up to their own game's, however.

Smooth Criminal

Oracle

Smash Master
Go make one from the tournament results, or just one tournament. I would do one for genesis 2 but i don't know all of the melee players' mains or any of the brawl players'

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Banning him still wasnt the answer.
They implemented rules, but they were obviously not strong enough.

Melee has had various stages banned primarily due to the kill power/ability to camp that Fox has on them

Corneria

Green Greens

Onett

PokeFloats

the brawls scrubs should have made their stage list smaller and increased the timer...
seriously the brawl ruleset has like 346345 stages to choose from wtf

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
MK's planking is similar to the banned Melee stages that Fox could infinite/camp on: Not unbeatable, but far too big of an advantage than should be allowed.

In general, MK's advantages venture into the "too big to be allowed" department, which is why perspectives on the issue vary. His attributes are what lead to scrooging and his ridiculous camping game, and considering that Brawl is a campy game already, it must really mean something when the community says one particular character is too campy.

the brawls scrubs should have made their stage list smaller and increased the timer...
seriously the brawl ruleset has like 346345 stages to choose from wtf
OH GOD NO. timing out is already a laughably pitiful strategy. Making the timer any longer might prevent tournaments from ever ending. As for stages, IIRC the Brawl ruleset has 9 stages total. Decreasing that would put it close to Melee, which has 7. In case you're unaware of Brawl's scene, stage really doesn't matter for MK, he has an advantage on all of them. They even made Caste Seige a starter simply because MK couldn't ***** as hard there.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Oh noes!

Smooth Criminal
i really love this post

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
MK's planking is similar to the banned Melee stages that Fox could infinite/camp on: Not unbeatable, but far too big of an advantage than should be allowed.

In general, MK's advantages venture into the "too big to be allowed" department, which is why perspectives on the issue vary. His attributes are what lead to scrooging and his ridiculous camping game, and considering that Brawl is a campy game already, it must really mean something when the community says one particular character is too campy.
See, and with a little more data, something like this would be very influential in changing my opinion.

(You're not a complete buttpirate, Mura.)

Instead the Brawl community wants to focus on really stupid **** like how much money the character makes and/or how often he's used. They also wanna say stupid **** like "he has the perfect recovery."

Smooth Criminal

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
There's a lot of data and logic based on game stats fundamentally behind his banning. Funny thing is, most Brawl players are unaware of it themselves. I know a little bit about it by virtue of the fact that I hang out with people who play Brawl and actually care about Metaknight banning. If you wanted a good, objective summary of why Metaknight is being banned from a good source, you should ask Ran Iji. He knows a ton about it. I'll try to summon him.

BLARGG

Smash Rookie
Personally, I think that the pro-banners jumped the gun.... by about 4 years....
Melee's been developing for, what, 11 years now? I think that Brawl is up to about 3. That's... hardly long enough to justify banning a HUGE character in the game.

Now, I HATE mk. He's a stupid, campy puff-on-steroids who barely has to blink to kill you (or perhaps that's my ragequits...huh...) That said, there have been notable advances in combating him (i.e. anti-planking and other ledge mechanics). Maybe another year would have brought to light an actual flaw in mk's game.

Of course, this goes the other way. Waiting too long to ban him will just garner more mk users, and then there's a bigger fight to be had.

What does this have to do with the topic of banning in melee? ... I guess nothing... it just wouldn't have ever happened to my precious melee.

sulliman1

Smash Cadet
The first method is definitely not fair. The player has a right to choose a character he feels will maximize his chances of success. More generally, I think the counterpick system we use adheres to the following two principles:

1) Both players have the right to choose characters who they think maximizes their chance of success.
2) The losing player has the right to choose a stage which he thinks maximizes his chance of success.

Obviously, the first method doesn't allow for 1). But even then, it's pretty unfair to not be able to change your character: suppose you go Young Link because your opponent mains Jigglypuff. Then, during his counterpick, you think he will probably go Fox. If you're right, you're basically stuck playing an incredibly bad matchup as Young Link simply because you chose him for the first match.

Similar problems exist for your second method of counterpicking.
both players have the right to choose characters who they think maximize their chance of success in the FIRST game. if you are a better player, you will win an unfavorable character matchup, and if you don't then you can counterpick. if you think the matchup is even, take them to a stage you feel more comfortable on. i don't see any other solution for the infinite loop of stage counterpick and character selection, besides not being able to change your character from the first game at all and only counterpicking stages or vice versa, both of which are staling moves for melee itself.

Varist

Smash Lord
imo, when this goes into effect it's really going to **** M2K.
the MK ban is the URC saying, "no jason, you can't play this game with us anymore"

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
The problem with "majority of the brawl community voted to ban MK" is that, majority of the brawl community don't even PLAY metaknight. You essentially have the Few metaknight mains VS the mains of every single other character in the game. Having a poll whereby you have a miniority vs a majority, well, no s#!t the majority are going to win. The non-MK mainers have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to lose in voting to ban metaknight.

Just because 70% of the community don't like MK doesn't mean he should be banned lol.

As for wobbling, a poll wouldn't solve anything because, most players in the community don't care about wobbling from a practical standpoint because IC players are so rare. Not to mention they aren't even good chars to begin with.

The wobbling debate is a matter of ethics: Do you think an infinite should be allowed, despite the fact that it isn't overcentralizing in any way (nobody plays ics lol)

The MK debate is a matter of practicality: Do you think we should ban the best character who beats your favorite character.

Of course the poll is gonna be overwhelming in favor of pro ban
This guy summarized everything PERFECTLY

it's not about what's right or wrong. It's simply catering to a majority, and since the VAST majority of people don't use MK, assuming each person has equal bias (MK players for it and pro bans against it to help them) it is still heavily going to be more for the ban than it should really be otherwise. By doing things this way (Majority wins over all), Unity will always be in power, even if their way of doing things isn't a compromise at all. It's pretty unfortunate how it really works, since being in the majority is all that matters.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Mew2King should pull a Scorp a Dorp but take it to the next step. He should main the second best character (which I think is Snake) and play in tournaments that run the Unity rule set in a disguise.

DO IT.

Might backfire if they start banning Snake too, though.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

edit:seriously I want to see a melee graph. I already know fox and falco would take more than half anyway, but it would still be cool to see. plus kirbykaze if you're going to say brawl has crappy characters then you should acknowledge melee's crappy characters.
we all know how good pichu, kirby, and bowser are :troll:
The "Fox and Falco = Half of competitive Melee" is such an exaggeration. We've done the tournament statistics thing before for top 32, top 48, etc. And while they've been the dominant faces, it's very rarely anything outstandingly ridiculous.

My argument isn't centered at all on the bottom tier characters. Rather, my observation that there really isn't much of a power difference between the space animals and the next best characters. Conversely, MK makes the next bunch of characters look like crap even after the ruleset has been specifically designed to nerf him to the point where he's "balanced". Melee... we don't really have that issue. Sheik is still about as playable as Fox. I'd argue she might be better for this metagame since she's better vs Falco (IMHO) and Falco's the flavour of the month, but what do I know?

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I can't wait for a masked Brawl player entering Unity Rules tournaments and winning with Snake, and years later, we discover it was M2K all along.

THAT would put Brawl on the map if nutso things like that were happening in the community, even if the game itself is a drag.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I can't wait for a masked Brawl player entering Unity Rules tournaments and winning with Snake, and years later, we discover it was M2K all along.

THAT would put Brawl on the map if nutso things like that were happening in the community, even if the game itself is a drag.
lol basically what I said but worded differently.

M2k should start planning.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer

you were saying?

edit:I've always wondered what the melee version of this graph would look like. Would fox take everybody's money or falco?
Aside from your trolling/uneducated'ness of the current melee metagame, why is this an argument about what character takes most the tourney money rather than the brokenness of said character?

Oh noes!

Smooth Criminal
^
Gold post of this Thread

Mike G

MasterShake

Smash Lord
It's sad because I'm fairly sure the maker of that graph created it just out of curiosity and not have it incorrectly interpreted by whiny barwlers.

Top Bottom