• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A URC members thoughts on the Metaknight Ban

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
any pro-banner that says just having around 20% usage is ban worthy is ********

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't believe in sacrificing multiple stages for a character.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe in sacrificing multiple stages for a character.
Then perhaps just a lgl and timer/stock change. It is not to fix meta knight, but to fight stalling and running the timer as a viable option. It just relates to MK because he is the best at doing that.

NNID
MasterHavik
Look...I like how they went to the guys that run the giant events. I think it's important to have the best of the game weight in. But when you talk to the TO that has to sit there watch and an Mk, Wolve/Phoenix, Yun, SF4 Vanilla Sagat, and V-13 player win all the time. They give a different point of view about what they think about it. True they maybe not be the best, but they are trying to do their part for the community. I think they have a right to say if they think a certain character is ban for being good.

P.S.

I actually know over half the members of the URC. So call them unknowns is a load of crap.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Look...I like how they went to the guys that run the giant events. I think it's important to have the best of the game weight in. But when you talk to the TO that has to sit there watch and an Mk, Wolve/Phoenix, Yun, SF4 Vanilla Sagat, and V-13 player win all the time. They give a different point of view about what they think about it. True they maybe not be the best, but they are trying to do their part for the community. I think they have a right to say if they think a certain character is ban for being good.
Yeah, and y'know what those FG TOs usually don't say...?

(Barring your brief mention of Smash: )

"I'm sick of x character taking all of the money! I'm tired of seeing that damned so and so win! Let's ban them!"

Well, okay. Maybe they do ***** and moan about top tier characters being janky top tier characters, but they'd never out and out ban a character based on the fact that they're winning a butt-ton of tourneys and a butt-ton of money. There's a reason for that: It's just the way it is. Some characters are just inherently better than others.

Plus, y'know, Smash is kinda different from your standard fare FG.

Smooth Criminal

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Well, keep in mind that in today's age of fighting games, balance patches exist. Wolverine, Phoenix, Yun, and probably V-13(can't find a changelist for Blazblue) are all getting nerfed in future balance patches, and SF4 Sagat WAS nerfed in the transition to SSF4.

Phoenix
Phoenix

- Only one action per jump. No more multiple fireballs, no more fireball into teleport.
*You can do 2 actions per flight mode as it is now longer. You can do Air H Shot into Teleport if you went flight mode first but there is longer start up on H Shots.

- Air H Shot has longer start up and slower recovery. Air M Shot is pretty much the same. Air L Shot has faster recovery.

- Even more reduction in health (like 400K to 350K rough estimate)

- TK Shots dissipate when Phoenix herself is hit

Wolverine
Wolverine

- Seems to have less health (?)

- Berserker Slash is slower, lost invincibility

- Seems slower overall perhaps to make Berserker Charge more balanced overall

- The Dive Kick has a much smaller hit box, some launchers/anti-air moves beat it out cleanly now

- Contrary to popular belief, Wolverine can still relaunch after a Dive Kick in the air combo the ground bounce may just not work if a dive kick stagger was used to start the initial combo

+/- Some sort of button-mashy Swiss cheese move. He can combo after it with a launcher

+ Berserker Barrage hyper is mashable for more damage

Yun
• Target Combo 2 120 damage
• Target Combo 3 120 damage
• Target Combo 4 130 damage, -6 on block for second hit
• Target Combo 5 70 damage
• cr.LK has an upward extended hurtbox
• cr.MP damage from 60 to 50
• Higher high restriction for Raigekishu (dive kick), for LK, MK, and HK (all versions)
• +2 extra frames of hit, block stun on Raigekishu
• Senpukyaku (i’m assuming overhead) from 85 damage to 80 during Gen’ei Jin
• LK, MK, HK Zenpou Tenshin slowed to 11F, EX to 8F
• No throw invincibility on EX Zenpou
• EX Zesshou (lunge) hit distribution changed from 7/2 to 6/3, -1 on block
• MP, HP Kobokushi (palm) meter gain to +20
• LP Koboku is 25 frames total, MP, HP 45 frames total
• MP, HP Koboku damage from 160 to 140, stun from 250 to 200; chip damage for MP, HP to 30
• Active frames for MP, HP Koboku to 10
• Nishoukyaku (up kicks): LK only has invincibility up (and including) the first active frame
• More landing recovery on all versions (including EX)
• MK Nishou from 130 damage to 110
• Tetsuzanko (shoulder): HP damage from 140 to 100, EX from 80+70 to 90+40 (130 total); during the projectile invincible parts of the move, Yun’s hurtbox against physical strikes is expanded
• Gen’ei Jin is a second shorter, does less damage

Why would you ban a character if a nerf for broken/overpowered characters would be right around the corner?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
...the community didn't make the patch, Capcom did. That's not comparable.

What you are implying is clearly Nintendo will not release a patch, so it's the communities job to patch and fix the game. Yet the correct "patch" would be an actual modification in game play and not a rule set change.

aka every brawl mod.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Well, okay. Maybe they do ***** and moan about top tier characters being janky top tier characters, but they'd never out and out ban a character based on the fact that they're winning a butt-ton of tourneys and a butt-ton of money. There's a reason for that: It's just the way it is. Some characters are just inherently better than others.
Right. They will actually do it to Akuma in HDR who isn't even doing these things.

Flayl

Smash Hero
...the community didn't make the patch, Capcom did. That's not comparable.

What you are implying is clearly Nintendo will not release a patch, so it's the communities job to patch and fix the game. Yet the correct "patch" would be an actual modification in game play and not a rule set change.

aka every brawl mod.
Let's hypothetically say MK was bannable without a doubt: Would you rather hack Brawl and attempt to balance it rather than ban MK?

Judo777

Smash Master
lol if Rich knew how to beat DK planking it wouldve been different. Which is saddening because a ton of the community automatically labeled it as broken without even doing some research. Which is a big thing this community does.

@ Judo: Honestly, I think a ton of people believe they know the MU better than think they do for one. but of course thats just opinion. Something I will say though is your MK doing well shouldnt be surprising. For one, how to pick up MK is easy (not to master!). No doubt about that. his normals just like Chun are awesome. He also probably the one characters you've seen fight more than the rest, and that stuff does rub off. Just like Yun and Ken, Diddy, Falco, and Snake arent as easy to pick up. That doesnt mean at top level they dont hang. Thats just the reality of the situation.

@John12341: So M2K making 17% of the money isnt a lot. But 12% of people playing MK is....... alright man. one person making nearly 1/5 of the money isnt a ton. Of course not. cuz that would make sense. One damn person out of hundreds.

@M2K: Thank you

@C.J: Thank you

@Tesh: Shut up
I hate that argument. Hes easy to pick up but hard to master, how the hell does anyone know that??? How many people have picked up MK and mastered him, and at the same time ALSO mastered another character so they can say "yea MK was harder." I don't honestly believe that almost anyone has mastered any character and the very few that might have also just happen to be extraordinary players who for all we know might not have REALLY mastered him and just played him for a while and be really good and if your really good AND play MK you will probably top at most nationals.

Also Ken and Yun are NOT hard to pick up. I am really close buddies with a high level streetfighter player (who also is a high level player at like 5 other games) he has told me many times that ALL of the top tiers in 3rd strike are easy to play at high levels.

I am also one of those people that is very skeptical of how much MU's change at high levels compared to top levels. This is not to be confused with mid and lower levels but at high levels is Snake REALLY that much different than at top? I don't think so. Snake becomes hard once ur opponent learn to juggle him which happens at midlevel to high level play I don't really think there is that much difference.

M@v

Subarashii!
Let's hypothetically say MK was bannable without a doubt: Would you rather hack Brawl and attempt to balance it rather than ban MK?
Ban mk, mainly because the issue on how to balance the game properly would cause much more debate and gridlock. In addition, trying to make a hacked version of a game standard for a community is near impossible.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Right. They will actually do it to Akuma in HDR who isn't even doing these things.
That's the exception, AZ. Not the rule. And if you actually paid attention to the whole ordeal, the guy who helped redo the whole game recommended that they ban Akuma on the account that he wasn't balanced properly. Note the key words emphasized in the italicized text. Hilde and Algol from SC4 didn't win a whole bunch of tourneys in their lifespan either, but they were banned because the community at large found out that they were busted (Hilde's "doom combo").

This is also what happens when you cherrypick certain things and address them.

Try again.

Smooth Criminal

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm not really sure there can be an 'exception' when the number of characters banned in fighting games over the last 20 years numbers less than what? 5? Maybe 10?

Also, correct, a single person is what got Akuma banned simply because he wasn't functioning as he imagined, which is ironic, since that same person wrote a guide saying designers intent is essentially meaningless. Whether or not the character wasn't balanced or functioning as he should, there was evidence he had even match ups and there was also a lack of evidence of tournament dominance, much less the type of dominance that Sirlin tries to claim is necessary for a ban (aka compelling data over a long period). He basically betrayed his own advice in getting the character banned, and it is that very advice everyone loves to rely on for banning criteria!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm not polejocking Sirlin in the slightest. I could care less for his ethos. I just don't feel that overcentralization is a strong argument in the case of a character ban. There are other more important factors that need to be addressed above all else, and I wish you and your motley crew would focus on that rather than the money and the placement in tourneys. It makes you appear very petty.

Smooth Criminal

Cassio

Smash Master
Overcentralization is actually a fairly weak argument.

Granted if it honestly improves character diversity it might possibly have been warranted. But everything seems to indicate this wont be the case. We wont know for sure until we start getting information on tournaments without MK, but his ban should be reconsidered if diversity doesnt show much improvement.

-Ran

Smash Master
At the moment, the limited [21] tournaments are tending [substantially] towards more character diversity. I am looking forward to more data to see if this is a sustainable trend.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
At the moment, the limited [21] tournaments are tending [substantially] towards Ganon. I am looking forward to more data to see if this is a sustainable trend.
fixed that for you :troll:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Quoted because this video goes hard as **** yo. Exposing Johnnumbers Bull**** data and telling it like it is for competative gaming, too good.

:017:
blindly following mike.
what a shame

Tesh

Smash Hero
Dang, mike you gotta get some pictures and stuff for your videos. Its boring just staring at you talk. You could do so much more with the visuals.

I agree about people leaving/joining the scene. That goes for the popular anti ban statement that MK mains will quit and tournaments will be smaller. For the most part, players gonna play and quitters gonna quit.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
"Exposing" the data for what it really is, eh?

All I see is an untrained view on data analysis. 19% is significant with respect to the character spread we have going here. There are 36 characters. Even if you consider 10 to be viable, a 19% representation of one character is statistically significant. I don't even have to bust out some fancy statistical software to know that.

You also attack John Numbers for his analytical methods. You didn't like how he split the money between characters. Have you considered the work necessary to correct the assumption you are attacking? You would need to have each player's frequency-of-use statistics for each separate event he attended to fully correct that assumption. I don't know about you, but I know that would be way too much work for one guy to do.

Herk. I almost want to freaking leave work early to get back to work on my project here.

I'm looking to bring up a year's worth of tournament results for an analysis which will bring this uninformed bickering to an end. I don't have a release date, but please look forward to it.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
mike what are your thoughts of 75% of players voting for the ban? While its true I doubt banning mk will bring back new players do you really feel that the community as a whole shouldn't follow an overwhelming majority?

even the reputable players list leaned toward the banning of metaknight.

while I 100% agree with the points your video made I don't think you brought up every valid argument against the banning of metaknight.

Battousai780

Smash Ace

All I see is an untrained view on data analysis. 19% is significant with respect to the character spread we have going here. There are 36 characters. Even if you consider 10 to be viable, a 19% representation of one character is statistically significant. I don't even have to bust out some fancy statistical software to know that.

You also attack John Numbers for his analytical methods. You didn't like how he split the money between characters. Have you considered the work necessary to correct the assumption you are attacking? You would need to have each player's frequency-of-use statistics for each separate event he attended to fully correct that assumption. I don't know about you, but I know that would be way too much work for one guy to do.

Herk. I almost want to freaking leave work early to get back to work on my project here.

I'm looking to bring up a year's worth of tournament results for an analysis which will bring this uninformed bickering to an end. I don't have a release date, but please look forward to it.
Your argument that 1/5 is significant and over centralizing is LAUGHABLE. lol

But seriously, you are implying that even though we know that Ripple's method for calculating prize winnings is horribly skewed, we should still abide by it because finding the actual number is really hard. Are you dumb?

Cassio

Smash Master

No one cares about statistical signficance but you, lol. He even asked the audience to create their own criteria for how much too much was knowing most people would agree, he didnt say anything regarding statistical significance and in the end it doesnt matter.
As I said in the other thread, innaccurate date is innaccurate no matter how difficult it is to obtain the information we really want. You can applaud the effort but you cant sugarcoat the weakness. It sounds like youre desiring the information to be something it isnt, which is baaaad.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I personally don't care about what percentage of the community uses MK. Over-centralization isn't really a factor imo. If something is unfair, it should be banned if 50% of the community abuses it or if 1% of the community abuses it. How many people abused lack of LGLs before they were standard? How many people scrooge now when there is no standard rule about it? Almost no one, but it doesn't mean those things should be left alone. MK should be banned based simply on his capabilities and what he CAN do to the game.

Top Bottom