• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A URC members thoughts on the Metaknight Ban

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend

Browny

Smash Hater
Considering that no one voted against banning MK...

... This video comes off as a tongue-in-cheek style slap in the face to anti-ban.

To which I approve.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
intresting... very intresting...

too many unknowns get the chance to voice silly opinions these days, good **** mike.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Anybody care to compile a list of the TOs of the largest tournaments in the USA & Canada? I'm willing to bet the same conclusion would be reached but I could be wrong.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Why did you make this video? I dont get it. 99% of it is literally WRONG.

The URC and the BBR view mk the same way(read the BBR posts in the URC group). The you have 73% of the AiB people view mk the same way. Then you have 75% of SWF view it the same way. Not to mention 4 public polls in the past(when mk "wasnt so bad" right? lol) that all voted pro ban. So this shows that BOTH groups of SWF supports a ban, the public of both sites supports a ban. O

Next, you have the obvious centralization of mk.....in every way. Whether its 1st place wins, results domination and most money won.....ect. We had to ban stages cause of mk, make rules JUST to keep him legal(and he STILL dominates). The point is, this game/scene/community FOCUSES on mk and this is unhealthy for all 3 and stops/slows growth. Banning mk undoes EVERYTHING i mentioned above and PROMOTES growth.

Also, not anybody can get into the URC(unlike the bbr where EVERYBODY gets let in at some point(alex strife has been in and out like 3-4 times LOLOLOLOL). Had this been the case we would have many many many more members in the URC.

Last, why would you ask people if they knew members of the URC? That has nothing to do with anything. Come on Mike, your better than this.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I almost want to draw parallels with the end part of the video to asking passerby on the street to name who their senate representative is, but somehow I think that I'd be missing the point...

:phone:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
You don't have to make rules to keep him legal. 10 min timer, LGL, and less gay stages are better for the game regardless (and for the exception of timer since timer doesn't matter in melee, it would be the same for that game too).

edit - can't respond to anything today, leaving for melee tournament in NY

Xubble

Smash Ace
Even under those conditions, the metagame would be centered around MK in a very unhealthy way. There isn't much you can do against a character who's ALWAYS at an advantage. Besides play that character too. And frankly, that has gone on long enough. Diversity is the key to a good metagame, and MK has nothing good to offer.

Cassio

Smash Master
When you only look at the top 100 players its still a 3-1 ratio to ban MK.
This has nothing to do with their opinion and almost entirely to do with the quality of their discussion.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Xyro, let's be real and cut the bull****: You would have voted to ban MK regardless of any discussion, evidence, or lack therof. So would have most of the URC.

Cassio

Smash Master
Not to mention the idea that opinion and polls should replace substantive discussion.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You don't have to make rules to keep him legal. 10 min timer, LGL, and less gay stages are better for the game regardless
This is true, the first course of action should be to fix the holes in our ruleset and only after that - if it is deemed truly necessary - should any character be considered for a ban. Even if a character is still considered ban-worthy after poorly-construed rules have been fixed, we can at least say we put forth the effort (plus we would have decent rules in use for all events).

@Mike
I approve of this video for the fact that you are doing the community a great service by keeping them in-the-know. Just an FYI though, I main Kirby + Meta Knight + Dedede.

Cassio

Smash Master
this is their opinion on banning MK o.O what more do you want?
It was stated in the second half of that sentence. Quality discussion from people who know what theyre talking about.

D

Deleted member

Was this thread really necessary, seeing as you could have just discussed this in the Unity Ruleset thread?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
It was stated in the second half of that sentence. Quality discussion from people who know what theyre talking about.
The discussion will be filled with opinions on what makes MK bannable/not bannable

as there is no hard line on banning a character

Cassio

Smash Master
Then that would be discussion, and not just polling opinion...

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'll post here what I posted on the video, I might expand later as I was limited to youtube's character count:

I'm not in the BBR at the moment, from what I heard it's a complete mess back there. We've had the BBR making tournament rulesets before and look where that got us.PTAD legal?Yes you can be some random,pull a couple of friends together,and throw some tournament with the Unity ruleset,and then apply and you could get in,but chances are you won't.We've only let well respected TOs in.This also proves a point that even though votes were14-0,any anti ban TO can get in, just no anti ban TO has applied

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to make rules to keep him legal. 10 min timer, LGL, and less gay stages are better for the game regardless (and for the exception of timer since timer doesn't matter in melee, it would be the same for that game too).

edit - can't respond to anything today, leaving for melee tournament in NY
A ten minute timer???? Better for the game???

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Then that would be discussion, and not just polling opinion...
Do you really think there is anything new to say of for banning/not banning MK? Or do you just want to hear it from their mouths what you won't believe from someone who isn't that high of a level.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
PTAD was legal at certain tournaments in the Midwest way before MK was banned. I'd ban it if people don't like it (which ended up happening), but I'll likely never think that it's not an acceptable stage.

:phone:

Player-1

Smash Legend
Also, I'll go ahead and say Mikehaze, you don't really even speak up in the URC to begin with. I don't see why you wouldn't have addressed this with us in the forum or at the Skype meeting =/

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm all for freedom of speech, but you got a LOT of things wrong, and in addition like P1 said, you never speak up in the forums or meetings. If you have a problem, SAY IT! There's a reason we are all in it you know.

You should of addressed this with us, and if you still didn't like how it went, do this. But at least get the facts straight :urg:

Didn't like the video at all, cause I had to question how much MikeHaze actually researched for this mid-video, which isn't a good thing. When trying to make an informative video like this that you expect many people to see, it's important to get your facts straight. I don't recall Gnes or ADHD ever being in the BBR for more than 2 days, nor do I think you should omit member information as if they were unimportant or you didn't know enough about them.

M@v

Subarashii!
Didn't like the video at all, cause I had to question how much MikeHaze actually researched for this mid-video, which isn't a good thing. When trying to make an informative video like this that you expect many people to see, it's important to get your facts straight. I don't recall Gnes or ADHD ever being in the BBR for more than 2 days, nor do I think you should omit member information as if they were unimportant or you didn't know enough about them.
I'll use myself as an example here.

All he says is "I'm a nice guy" (I appreciate that by the way :D)

But I'm also ranked 5th in PA, which he must of seen because he mentions chibo is ranked 4th in PA. He also says I main Falco which is wrong if he going by stats he found in public domain. In the public domain, I'm a metaknight main. The SWF rankings have me as a metaknight main, and the majority of my tournaments since the Summer have me as maining mk(This is true btw; have gone mostly mk recently). It is true I also use Falco, but as of recent Mk and Fox have been my two most used characters. The last time I went falco in tournament was 2 games at COT5

He also failed to mention the tournament series I run, the /hope series, which is a melee/brawl tournament series. I also have run and assisted in several other pittsburgh/state college tournaments.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
MikeHaze. You have my vote.

Not sure for what. But your video gives a much needed perspective from the other side of the story.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
I'll use myself as an example here.

All he says is "I'm a nice guy" (I appreciate that by the way :D)

But I'm also ranked 5th in PA, which he must of seen because he mentions chibo is ranked 4th in PA. He also says I main Falco which is wrong if he going by stats he found in public domain. In the public domain, I'm a metaknight main. The SWF rankings have me as a metaknight main, and the majority of my tournaments since the Summer have me as maining mk. It is true I also use Falco, but as of recent Mk and Fox have been my two most used characters.

He also failed to mention the tournament series I run, the /hope series, which is a melee/brawl tournament series. I also have run,m and assisted in several other pittsburgh/state college tournaments.
i'll be 100% honest with you, i somehow overlooked you being ranked and meant no offence by it. I'll add it in the annotations for you.

Thanks for all the feedback (both negative and positive) so far guys. PM's are welcome!

M@v

Subarashii!
I'm not even worried about it that much mike. I'm just pissed off you didn't even mention a thing about this to us, when we could of possibly resolved it, then you screwed up a lot of facts when you said you did research.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'll post here what I posted on the video, I might expand later as I was limited to youtube's character count:

I'm not in the BBR at the moment, from what I heard it's a complete mess back there. We've had the BBR making tournament rulesets before and look where that got us.PTAD legal?Yes you can be some random,pull a couple of friends together,and throw some tournament with the Unity ruleset,and then apply and you could get in,but chances are you won't.We've only let well respected TOs in.This also proves a point that even though votes were14-0,any anti ban TO can get in, just no anti ban TO has applied
BBR's not a mess. Whoever told you is mistaken.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Although I think the BBR would have voted in favor of banning MK, I agree that the vote to ban him shouldn't have been given to TOs.

Cassio

Smash Master
Do you really think there is anything new to say of for banning/not banning MK? Or do you just want to hear it from their mouths what you won't believe from someone who isn't that high of a level.
If thats what your idea of discussion is then its a pretty shallow idea of what it means to reason. You dont just toss information on a table and come to a conclusion, you assess it. The people who do the assessing matter. Anyways, this is getting off-topic so ill respond to a vm/pm

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I for one... enjoyed this video! y u all mad? :troll:

I'm not sure what Mike expected the reactions of the URC would be watching this video, in fact my largest qualm is that the video was slightly off sync with the audio which frustrated me lol.

Even though I'm not mad (though I'm salty you caught me on one of my worst PR rankings yet, couldn't have been a few months ago when I was second <_< ), I do have A LOT of comments on it. But still, I've done things very similar to what Mike is now, being a dissenting voice of a group while being in it. Sometimes it takes someone part of a group to know the true flaws of it, and I appreciate Mike using only public information which 1) doesn't leak anything despite being discontent with the URC, and 2) shows that he did research, especially with posting the links of threads in the video.

The biggest point you are making here is that you feel the members of the URC are not qualified to be making decisions like this while a group like the BBR is. I want to start off with your comedy relief section of the video (which I found funny, though lame that I wasn't mentioned >_> ).

West Coast players had a tough time naming the 17 members of the URC. Some of them got a few, which actually isn't a terrible percent. However the fact is that, the URC is largely based out of SWF, and West Coast's smash presence is somewhat lacking on SWF. I would love for them to be more involved, not that I'm trying to download AiB, but basically everywhere else in North America is represented fine on SWF. You can't blame some people from not knowing most of an group that is based out of SWF, though perhaps if anything this is a wake up call to have more of a AiB presence.

However, I wonder how the results would be if you asked them how many members of the BBR could they name? If someone can nail like 4 names out of 17 for the URC, that's hitting 23% of it. Do you know how many members are in the BBR? Over 96. The current list I can find has 96 members listed, though I know there are that haven't been updated on the list. This is technically public information as you can go through every member on SWF and see what groups they are in. Those same people are going to have to name around 23 members to hit the same % of what they guessed in the URC. Surely though you can just throw out names of top players and hope they are in the BBR when naming them. Though some food for thought... ADHD, Mew2King, Tyrant, Fatal, Atomsk, and more are not currently in the BBR. Though some of them may have been at one point or another, they have either left (because of their discontent with the BBR) or were removed at one point or other. However despite not being in it, it means they wouldn't have been a part of a Meta Knight discussion if held now, which is what you seem to have wanted.

The Meta Knight issue we are tackling here largely is a part of the North American scene, encompassing US and Canada. Yes international discussion can help, but discussing how North America can be different on the MK issue over South America, Europe, and Japan is an entirely different debate. Did you know that 16 members of the BBR are not from North America? Do you think that this could effect a Meta Knight decision made for the North America? It certainly would. I dare your lackeys to name 23% of the BBR members from outside of North America lol.

Of the 17 URC members, 7 of us are from the BBR as well. In looking at this, I'm actually shocked that you aren't one of those members Mike, and that you're advocating for a group like the BBR to make the decision. For those of us not in the BBR, we have members that are also parts of other groups on SWF that can be just as important, such as Smash Researchers. I believe 4 of the URC members are also Smash Researchers, 2 of which are also in the BBR. That leaves 9 people of the 17 who are also in other groups, who you could call multi-talented and important in more than one aspect. The URC is a group of Tournament Organizers, and it's hard to say that none of us in there aren't actually organizers. However, that doesn't mean all of the groups can not work together on Smashboards. The BBR has called for information from the Smash Lab before. Prior to the Meta Knight debate in the URC, the BBR held a series of discussions on Meta Knight between all of their members. Transcripts (summarized version, etc) of said discussions (by members who took part in it that approved of it, which was nearly 100%) were provided to the URC to help aid us in deciding the outcome of the Meta Knight issue. We have also taken look at everything the BBR has done in the past concerning Meta Knight, so to mostly imply that the BBR had no hand in this is basically... wrong.

We don't accept anyone quite as easily as you say. The only true stipulations to being a URC are that you need to use the Unity Ruleset, and that you are an active tournament hosts with upcoming events on the horizon. We have a soft cap of members we don't exceed to try to keep discussion organized and civil, and to help balance out regional representation. No, we do not look for character representation, so excuse us if no one in the URC mains Meta Knight. That isn't to say that no Meta Knight mains had their hand to discuss the topic, because we paid very close attention to the Unity Discussion Topic, other topics in general, and the polls held on AiB and SWF, which everyone had access to, regardless of who you mained. If getting into the URC was as easy as it seems, then I suppose we should have never declined anyone right? Because we have, and none of them were Meta Knight mains to my knowledge.

When the URC first started, I was very discontent with it's member list sort of like how you are now, but I eventually came around. I figured that while I didn't feel the BBR was the right governing body for a ruleset, I felt that there are people qualified to help make ruleset decisions that aren't necessarily TOs. But then I eventually realized something... When a TO hosts an event, they need to decide on the ruleset. Whether they use a ruleset already made or create their own, they give a flat out YES or NO answer to every single rule. They are deciding the fate of their ruleset and tournament. When a tournament organizer becomes successful through huge events or successful long going series, they are doing something right. That is what the member list of the URC is comprised of. Successful tournament hosts with an edge to regional representation. Regional representation is important in that, we all know tournaments in each region aren't the same. Just as a while ago Midwest players were adamant about stages such as Port Town and Green Greens being legal, but you better not DARE suggest those stages in Atlantic North. Having representation from various regions and communities is important so everyone comes together on an equal balance (aka UNITY), and who better than a successful tournament organizer from there to be their representation? The tournament organizer's forte is not frame data or tournament results, it's listening to the community and knowing what is best to do. Afterall, they want to attract the largest number of entrants to their tourney right? If they need help from masters of other aspects of the Brawl community, they are free to ask, and have. This applies to all groups, just as the BBR has asked the Smash Lab for help, despite being the most appropriate group of the best and well known smashers according to you.

And so when all is said and done, after two recent public polls that equate to roughly a 75/25 split on pro/anti ban, 3 years of endless discussion from the public where the topic would be brought up mere months after stopping if it ended up in anti ban, MK banned tournaments catching on in every single region, and a public initiative to track many statistics and data (that most of us would agree have overall been on the anti ban side of things) - it's not hard to see this inevitably coming, and the representations for all communities coming together to do this (in such a largely positive manner with 14/17 Yes votes).

WELP I spent a lot more time than I had planned to on making that post lol.

Top Bottom