• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santasmash, Full Results in first post!

Remastered

Smash Lord
Bare with me as I'm updating this at work, and by memory alone. I will update more tonight when I have the full results in front of me.

Singles Brawl:

1. Jesmo - :metaknightbrawl:
2. Jaice - :peachbrawl: :olimarbrawl: :zeldabrawl:
3. Apollo - :zssbrawl:
4. Cal - :dkbrawl: :pikachubrawl:
5. Ad3pt - :luigibrawl: :dededebrawl: :icsbrawl: :samusbrawl: :ikebrawl: :foxbrawl: :jigglypuffbrawl: :diddybrawl: :wariobrawl: :snakebrawl: :nessbrawl: :wolfbrawl:
5. Arrow - :snakebrawl: :metaknightbrawl:
7. Kaion - :icsbrawl:
7. Toki - :randombrawl:
9. Aero - :zeldabrawl: :sheikbrawl:
9. PikaNinja - :pikachubrawl:
9. Blade - :kirbybrawl:
9. Vyse - :metaknightbrawl:
13. Zydro - :metaknightbrawl: :ikebrawl:
13. BC25 - :lucariobrawl: :lucasbrawl:
13. Gords - :toonlinkbrawl:
13. Dif - :joyful:
17. Popdart - :gwbrawl:

(Yes Aero I did use all of those characters, I only used Luigi and D3 twice)

Doubles:

1. Matt & Jaice - JaM
2. Blade & Toki - Can't remember the name BLLLLAAAAADDDDDEEEEE
3. Jesmo & Mick - Smoosmo
4. Toki & Aero - LoL Toki & Blade did better
5. Kaion & Apollo
5. Arrow & Zydro
7. Gords & BC
7. Dif & Hugh
9. Vyse & Tiahn

Well played all, I got 3 stocked twice at this tournament so it shows people are getting massively better, or I'm getting considerably worse. I hate frigate with no sound :/

Will do shout outs later, and will post a thread regarding Summersmash tonight :)

Remastered

Smash Lord
Metaknight will be banned for Summersmash, I understand this will change a lot of things, so the ruleset will be in discussion before I post it in the new thread. Due to the demand for MK's ban, we are following suit, and will more than likely come up with a ruleset that we think is suitable and correct for a major, without being too outlandish like some other rulesets out there.

inb4ghostandgrimtrytomakespearpillarlegalandstart50pagesofrantabouthowtheorycraftiscraftedintheirmindsbetterthananyoneelses :)

earla

Smash Lord
good idea, how bout spear pillar, hanenbow, pictochat? wario ware?

curious, why do YOU personally think MK shud be banned adept? (excluding the morons who over power him by legalising rainbow ride + brinstar)

earla

Smash Lord
your TOP PLAYERS pushing about how ZELDA does alright vs MK.

now suddenly MK IS TOO GOOD for the rest of the cast.. cos america bans mk.

who is RAVEN.. .. ?

****ashi

Smash Apprentice
You weren't interested in a MM against me last time you came up so why talk to me now?

Seriousface.jpg

The real question earl is who are you to dictate our rulesets?

You are not ****ashi

:phone:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
your TOP PLAYERS pushing about how ZELDA does alright vs MK.

now suddenly MK IS TOO GOOD for the rest of the cast.. cos america bans mk.
I linked the Zelda boards to that thread the other day and we all raffed together.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I knew I forgot someone lol. My bad Kaion. Your samus is annoying. GG's lol and it's great that you bring a recording set up to every tourney. Much appriciated.

@Earl I'd be talking to Matt and Jaice specifically about the whole Zelda vs MK matchup. There was a huge spill over that a while ago in some thread. Pretty sure it got nowhere..

My main issue with MK was the fact that if a mid level player was having trouble beating opponents of a similar skill level then MK would solve all of their problems.

Remastered

Smash Lord
I personally don't mind if MK stays, however if I had to give you an explanation Earl it would be this:

Metaknight has an exploitable advantage over the majority of the cast. Most of which are as simple as a single button closing down the majority of characters. Metaknight also forces a complete rule change to allow for his ability to control stage and time. Another problem with MK is that he doesn't only do very well on Brinstar & Rainbow Cruise, he is also incredibly difficult to counterpick with a striking system as it is now. Without a complete overhaul of rules and restrictions for just this one character, he will remain dominant for years to come. So why not remove the issue that makes us adjust rules completely?

I'm a metaknight main also Earl, so I will feel the pinch as much as you will of having to pick-up a new character. I am well aware of the adverse effects of banning one character. Such as where do we stop when it comes to banning top characters? Now that MK is gone do we ban Diddy in a years time? The metagame is always evolving, and now more than ever is a time for the best players to adapt to that. I simply can't pick MK against a top Luigi user and just spam B to control the match.

If it doesn't work, we revert back, however there have been promising signs in other states that the diversity of the game has increased due to the removal of one character. This really can only be a good thing, when you consider that the majority of top characters are where they are on the tier because of how well they deal with the winged S tier character.

I know people will disagree with this, and it wasn't only my opinion that went into banning MK for Summersmash, it's just a simplistic view of the metaknight issue.

earla

Smash Lord
ok raven MM wheneva i see u next. i dont recall declining a money match from you. in fact i have never heard of you.

wait do you play brawl or melee? how bout i money match you in both?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

jei asked the japan's opinion of the mk issue. the japanese are strongly against banning a character before stages.

in melee a number of stages were removed because fox was too good on them eg. peachs castle corneria and a few more i can't remember.

many moves beat nado + theres power shield cancelling to punish if your good.

diversity-? as listed by mikehaze mk users = 11% of players. thats hardly over centralization.

mk answering mid level players vs mid level players problems.. if a player of similar skill picks up any higher tier char it wud better there chances

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
True it would better their chances but the player who picks up (a pocket) MK always puts in the least amount of effort compared to a player having to choose some other high tier just to overcome an MK problem.

As far as your Fox analogy goes I don't agree with it. Melee Fox has larger exploitable weaknesses such as mediocre recovery at best while MK never has to worry about making it back to the stage. Point is what works for Melee isn't necessarily what works for Brawl.

swordsaint

Smash Master
ok raven MM wheneva i see u next. i dont recall declining a money match from you. in fact i have never heard of you.

wait do you play brawl or melee? how bout i money match you in both?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

jei asked the japan's opinion of the mk issue. the japanese are strongly against banning a character before stages.

in melee a number of stages were removed because fox was too good on them eg. peachs castle corneria and a few more i can't remember.

many moves beat nado + theres power shield cancelling to punish if your good.

diversity-? as listed by mikehaze mk users = 11% of players. thats hardly over centralization.

mk answering mid level players vs mid level players problems.. if a player of similar skill picks up any higher tier char it wud better there chances
I'm not here to argue for or against but I have one thing to say to this.

11% of characters used are metaknight in a game where there are over 35 characters. thats pretty huge. 11% may seem like a small number but when you consider everything, it's actually preeeettty big.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Not when you consider that more than half of the cast in these games are never used at all.

On the topic of MK ban, I've seen like one MK win in aus in like 4 years lol. I dunno why aus is following suit with America.

earla

Smash Lord
most top tier chars aren't hard to pick up. it isn't just mk. u wanna mess up a lower tier, go d3 cg. that ain't hard.

i wasnt comparing fox in melee to mk in brawl.

just stages were removed like in melee because of the char.

Remastered

Smash Lord
With MK gone, a lot more of those unused characters will become used again. Also Earl, back when you mained Marth, did you ever think to yourself how good a tournament would be without MK?

I know for one I picked up MK because I was sick of scrubs changing to MK knowing that my 70:30 MU was ridiculous for Luigi or D3 to win. I went to 3 tournaments straight where I had every single person change to MK knowing full well that it was an 'easy win' even though they didn't main the character.

I like the idea of a diverse character pool in tournaments now with MK gone, I don't however like that the LGL might be lifted because MK is gone. Though all of this isn't my choice and is upto our scene. QLD is known to do what we want, and whether it effects some people greater than others, it's something we look at and will discuss before we announce the full ruleset. That being said, MK will be banned at Summersmash regardless, now to see how things change and whether they are for the better. We are taking the first step, let's see if people want to follow. I have no doubt Summersmash will be amazing regardless!!!! :)

J-Birds

Smash Lord
lol mk is banned at summersmash?
this seems stupid unless the other majors this year are going to be the same.
the australian scene doesnt have the opportunity to all come together for a big tournament often enough to really support a major change in rules unless it is consistent across them all.

earla

Smash Lord
when i mained marth i messed up mk's.

i enjoy that kinda challenge. most of the impressionable people here don't though.

i can't be bothered arguing anymore. sounds like u guys have made up ur mind.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
most top tier chars aren't hard to pick up. it isn't just mk. u wanna mess up a lower tier, go d3 cg. that ain't hard.

i wasnt comparing fox in melee to mk in brawl.

just stages were removed like in melee because of the char.
Well my point still stands. Lol @ D3 comment. A good DK main for example should beat some scrub D3 who thinks it's an easy win.

Anyways back to MK. While I'm obviously in favor of the ban, I'd still deal with it like I have been for the past 2 years if MK was still legal instead of forever trying to ban him with all my effort. I always did feel satisfied whenever I beat an MK with my character so I understand how that feels :p Come to summersmash Earl and prove that you can still **** without MK :)

Like Matt said earlier I believe SS will be a good tournament regardless of MK.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
when i mained marth i messed up mk's.

i enjoy that kinda challenge. most of the impressionable people here don't though.

i can't be bothered arguing anymore. sounds like u guys have made up ur mind.
I want to see you play MK one day. Come to Summersmash and show me imo. :c

toki

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3582-9503-2397
Earl has a very Tokilicious scarf. I was so jealous of it during Robocop, it wad my 1st time visiting Melbourne and it was freeeeeezing and I wanted that scarf to keep my neck warm, and look smexy with my pikahat.

Also, everyone should bring random stickers to the next lansmash. So we can decorate people's favorite jacket.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I remember earl picking up marth to prove he didnt need mk to win, but then not winning for awhile and going back to mk.

ohoho I went there.

I support the mk ban, giving a player that much of an advantage over another is just stupid, however, I dont think mk needed to be banned here in australia.

the fact is earl and ammy are the only players who really went anywhere with mk, and ammy didnt go to many tourneys.

so, 1 person?
there were others who did play mk, like ledge and afro and shaya and scoot and ****, but they were scrubs and got rolled all the time ;)

the big winners in this country are snake diddy and wario, ban them for dominating the results?

zApollo

Smash Ace
Just a foreword that I will upload the vids this weekend. Thank you for your patience. Matt ran yet another awesome tourney and this is probably the only tourney I have attended so far that actually finished on time.

What sort of sticker is it aerp?

Top Bottom