• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

ThePrime

Smash Lord
oh whoa tastygoldfish is posting? Guess im late to the party.

Me, toph and silentwolf are thinking about going to that tourney btw, sounds tight.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Both the running and standing extender have the same lag/frame data as the corresponding regular grabs.
If that's the case, does the grab move really fast? 'Cause the running grab doesn't last lag that much, so the grapple would have to cover quite a bit of distance in a short time.

Why thank you. :)

So are you planning to main samus now?
She kicks fox's ***. trust. :D
No...she...doesn't... (T_T)

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
@ihavespaceballs, did you acutally get anything through that straw?

:phone:
Yes. It just took awhile.

If that's the case, does the grab move really fast? 'Cause the running grab doesn't last lag that much, so the grapple would have to cover quite a bit of distance in a short time.
That's exactly how it works. It comes out and retracts about 3 times as fast. If you don't believe me, take two Sami, one with the extender and one without, and press both Z buttons at the same time.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Extender extends and reaches 3x than regular grapplle and has the same amount endlag and such as regular grab. You can see this by putting 2 Samus' on BF's platform, rolling to the edge of one, then doing grab and extender with each. They extend fully and retract all the way on the same frames

Bing

Smash Master
Few things. 1. Thank you for the compliment about my pic, Bug Style Megaman is ****.

2. ATTEND IMPULSE. You WONT regret it. <--- Im Sponsoring it with Impulse Circuit.

3. I'm a smasher from a place near Niagara Falls Canada.

TastyGoldfish

Smash Cadet
If someone could finance my way there, I'd go, but as of now, I'm broke. Used up most of my hard-earned cash on Apex... (T_T)
It won't cost you that much to go there .. $100-150 including travel/food/entry fees if you're getting free housing.

and money if you need to pay for your passport/enhanced driver's license.

Corigames

Smash Hero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKbFwgUMrxY#t=0m15s
It's the same amount of time, travels faster, and doesn't pause when it fully extends.
But you can't grab out of the air at all with the extender, there've been times where I've wanted that grab out of the air.
I actually wasn't aware that you couldn't grab in the air with it. I read this and spent about 10 minutes trying to grab people out of the air like normal but couldn't do it. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I can see this being a trade off that I wasn't aware of before. :c

That video I linked brings up another reason in favor of it, though
Standard Grab frames:
Standing- 18 to 37 (19 frames)
Running- 18 to 27 (9 frames) and 30 to 33 (3 frames) ::12 total
Extender Grab frames:
Standing- 18 to 41 (23 frames) or 42 to 57 (15 frames) or 59 to 94 (35 frames)
Running- 18 to 33 (15 frames)
*Frames courtesy of SuperDoodleMan
The extender has larger windows for grabbing as well as additional windows.

I'm not trying to be a broken record for the EG, I just think it's not as much as a gimmick as everyone seems to treat it.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
It won't cost you that much to go there .. $100-150 including travel/food/entry fees if you're getting free housing.

and money if you need to pay for your passport/enhanced driver's license.
Passport/enhanced driver's licence? (O_o) Doesn't a regular US passport/driver's license get one by in Canada?

So many pages....

Anyways, Corey, without the extender, if your opponent starts jumping to respond to your grabs, you still have a chance of grabbing them, or comboing into air grabs like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itNLe7wSP2c#t=6m05s

But you can't grab out of the air at all with the extender, there've been times where I've wanted that grab out of the air.
So you can't grab people out of the air at all? Like, say, when trying to grab a firefoxing Fox during the non-moving part of the move if he's within range offstage? :(

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
You can only grab people in the air during the first few frames of Samus' grab as it's extending. (Basically right at the wrist/hand, so it isn't easy to land. Especially on an offstage opponent.)

Violence

Smash Lord
That hitbox disappears when you have the extender.

I like the increased number of grab hitbox frames, but not autograbbing is kind of a big downside. I can't time grabs frame perfectly no matter how good I am.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
That hitbox disappears when you have the extender.

I like the increased number of grab hitbox frames, but not autograbbing is kind of a big downside. I can't time grabs frame perfectly no matter how good I am.
That video I linked brings up another reason in favor of it, though
Standard Grab frames:
Standing- 18 to 37 (19 frames)
Running- 18 to 27 (9 frames) and 30 to 33 (3 frames) ::12 total
Extender Grab frames:
Standing- 18 to 41 (23 frames) or 42 to 57 (15 frames) or 59 to 94 (35 frames)
Running- 18 to 33 (15 frames)
*Frames courtesy of SuperDoodleMan
The extender has larger windows for grabbing as well as additional windows.

I'm not trying to be a broken record for the EG, I just think it's not as much as a gimmick as everyone seems to treat it.
So the grab windows are literally back-to-back frame-wise, and the first window itself lasts longer than the regular grab's hitbox. Not only that, whenever you press the A or Z button to grab, it lasts for the entire frame section that you pressed it in, so with a little practice, actually landing the grabs shouldn't be too hard. I think I'm gonna start trying to use this more.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-bw5gmkyMQ&feature=colike

Saw your match against Vanz Duck, impressive stuff but Peach is one of those characters that can punish a mistake or straight up out-prioritize an approach.

I honestly don't think FOD was a good choice for the second match, the moving platforms from my experience can really put Samus in bad positions and Peach has a lot of survivability (like Samus) so it's a double-edged sword.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I honestly don't think FOD was a good choice for the second match, the moving platforms from my experience can really put Samus in bad positions and Peach has a lot of survivability (like Samus) so it's a double-edged sword.
If anything, I hate this stage against Peach cuz she can just dsmash when the platforms are at head level and you risk being caught up in it for being in the 'advantageous' position. :mad: I honestly think it's Peach's best stage. :scared:

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
If anything, I hate this stage agasint Peach cuz she can just dsmash when the platforms are at head level and you risk being caught up in it for being in the 'advantageous' position. :mad: I honestly think it's Peach's best stage. :scared:
That was essentially my point. The risk/reward factor doesn't seem skewed towards Samus at all. And a Peach that can DI well can survive/ stall pretty well given the opportunity.

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok how do you samus' fight falcon?

The match-up just seems hard. If you don't hit Dsmashes/Edgeguards you won't win.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
I hate Falcon. Probably my worst match up and one of the reasons I began to dabble in secondaries.

Surprisingly, I actually like to not stay grounded in that match up, since CF has such an easy time punishing your usual tools on the ground (ftilt, dsmash) with a knee or a stomp. I upB at every chance I get since knee on shield is pretty powerful, and it usually tacks on a few more % without being all that dangerous to do. Sh nair actually works decently since it seems to stuff a good deal of his aerials.

Dtilt is IMO a fantastic combo starter on CF and I'd much rather go for dtilts than dsmashes when I get the chance. It also seems to shieldpoke more often, though that could be my imagination.

Uh... missiles are decent enough... as long as he's already in the air and not jumping towards you... I guess.

I've seen HugS do the jab pressure on shield quite a bit vs. CF, and I imagine it's alright if he has his back turned on you.

The usual grab/dash attack mixup is obviously good in this match up. You don't want him to just shield all your attacks and punish your OOS, but I guess that goes without saying. Uthrow usually leads to a dair tech chase.

<shrug> I'd like some tips in this match up too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I prefer smaller stages with platforms vs. CF. FoD's probably good, as is Yoshi's and Battlefield. Dreamland's meh.

Just remember to be patient and not get platform camped. Don't try to jump up there except maybe to poke with uair after the inevitable bair/dair from CF.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Yeah I like stages like Stadium or Dreamland.. though FoD would be good too, cause most Falcon's in general HATE FoD...
FoD is generally bad for most Falcons, but some Falcon mains purposely practice that stage until they're quite proficient at maneuvering the moving platforms.

Top Bottom