• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Well P makes a point with the general statement of the prices. No arguing that. As someone who frequents MANY TOURNEYS 85 is up there, however given the record of the kishes I would expect to get my moneys worth and then some so I would have no worries...especially since hearing from multiple sources that FCD was one of the best ran(if not THE best) ran tourney ever.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
guys, 85 is cheap as **** to run a tournament of this scale. For perspective, I've only run SMYM 13, I'm too newschool to have been to the previous FCs, and I've never met any of the Kishes in person. I have no vested interest in FC other than as a fan of Melee and a potential participant

For comparison:
Apex 2012 was $30 venue, $15 singles, $10 per person for doubles = $55
Hotel rooms started at $120 a night. ($50 per night discrepancy) No meals were included.

I haven't been following the thread closely, but has anyone mentioned that... POUND V WAS $50 and planck ended up 9k in the red?

I understand the complaints about Sunday-Tuesday schedule since ppl with fulltime jobs need to use vacation days, but given that a pretty large proportion of the smash community is students, I think the tradeoff is probably worth it overall. I'm sure the price difference between Friday-Sunday vs Sunday-Tuesday must have been huge.

If you really think the $30 (~4 hours of minimum wage work) difference (In reality the difference is smaller due to meals and hotel costs) between FC and APEX is enough to prevent you from attending FC, then I'll happily cover the $30 for you out of my undergraduate negative yearly income in exchange for 4 hours of your hard physical labor.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
guys, 85 is cheap as **** to run a tournament of this scale. For perspective, I've only run SMYM 13, I'm too newschool to have been to the previous FCs, and I've never met any of the Kishes in person. I have no vested interest in FC other than as a fan of Melee and a potential participant

For comparison:
Apex 2012 was $30 venue, $15 singles, $10 per person for doubles = $55
Hotel rooms started at $120 a night. ($50 per night discrepancy) No meals were included.

I haven't been following the thread closely, but has anyone mentioned that... POUND V WAS $50 and planck ended up 9k in the red?

I understand the complaints about Sunday-Tuesday schedule since ppl with fulltime jobs need to use vacation days, but given that a pretty large proportion of the smash community is students, I think the tradeoff is probably worth it overall. I'm sure the price difference between Friday-Sunday vs Sunday-Tuesday must have been huge.

If you really think the $30 (~4 hours of minimum wage work) difference (In reality the difference is smaller due to meals and hotel costs) between FC and APEX is enough to prevent you from attending FC, then I'll happily cover the $30 for you out of my undergraduate negative yearly income in exchange for 4 hours of your hard physical labor.

qft makes a good point

AXE 09

Smash Master
I'm curious about the meals too.

Is that 2 meals over the span of 3 days? Or 2 meals per day (6 meals total)?

:phone:

KishSquared

Smash Master
The meals were part of the negotiations for the venue. By all accounts, they're being thrown in for free by the hotel. Think of it as an FC bonus.

Hopefully this will serve as a lesson for other TOs on what not to do when running a tourney.
Just like every other FC - a lesson in how not to run a tournament!

Also, I'm all for running this as a service to the community. We'll lower the entry fees, reschedule for Fri - Sun, and provide 16 meals in two days. I assume since this was your idea that you'll be the first to donate $2000... you know, as a service to the community? :)

<3 Smashboards

KishSquared

Smash Master
Also, I know some major tournaments have had sponsors that have greatly aided them. We're still working on this, but so far we have no such good fortune.

Ultimately, we're running this tournament so we can pay decent prizes and don't lose money. We can debate the price points until we're all sick of each other, but there's really nothing else to say. We explored many options for pricing, and this where we landed.

You have the right to not come. But we sure hope you do. Because it will be awesome.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I don't see the problem with pointing out stupidity or poor planning.

A tournament is pretty much a service done to the community, if they're not going to do it right then they shouldn't bother doing it at all. People have the right to complain about something dumb that should be great. I don't know where you think you come off telling me or anyone else not to complain about it.

Hopefully this will serve as a lesson for other TOs on what not to do when running a tourney.
I've only kept an eye on this thread because I wanted to see who's attending and because the FCs are such a huge part of melee's history. I have not posted because I will not be attending despite the fact that being a sunday-tuesday tournament actually makes it easier to attend for me since my job wont give me a full weekend off. That said, I'd like to take a second out of my night to make fun of you for being a complete ****ing *******. Make no mistake, this is not trolling. I will do nothing to try and troll you or anyone else. This is just me insulting you outright for being a terrible person.

Tournaments are services to the community. TOs hold tournaments completely of their own digression, they pay for the venue provided out of their own pockets and take time out of their lives to hold an event for the community because they want other people to enjoy themselves. The cost of venues is insane. I have talked to TOs, they have told me the prices of venues they were considering, the amount of money that would have to come out of their pockets was staggering. A venue fee and entrance fee are placed on a tournament in an attempt to cover those staggering loses while also providing a prize pot for the players who enter. Understanding all that I want to one more time say that you are a complete ****ing *******. There is no half-assery to you, you are 100% *******. Also ****ing. You're a 100% complete ****ing *******.

There is no corporation, no sponsors, no business here. This is a group of friends in the midwest funding an event entirely for the purpose of enjoyment of other people. The prices are higher than average. Not much higher mind you, on average a large scale national tournament will run anywhere from $30 on the(super) low end to $50+ just for entering singles and doubles of a single event as well as covering venue fee. This one runs a little higher in an attempt to cover costs. I'd say if you dont like it dont go, but as you joined this site roughly 3 months ago im reasonably certain you havent been to this or any other tournament ever. But feel free to make me eat my words. Throw a tournament. Make it big. Large enough that other countries will attend. Make it free. Pay for the $10k+ venue out of your own pocket. Put $3000k into the prize pot out of your own pocket. Give a real example to the TOs out there on how it should be done. That way I'll be the complete ****ing *******, instead of you. Which you are. Right now. A complete ****ing *******.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Well I didn't mean it to be rude. There seems to be a decent chance of my attendance. Let me rephrase what I have said, would anyone like to possibly team with me?!

phish-it

Smash Champion
The FC's always looked legendary, I want to go to this but I can't make up my mind. I never really travel far for tournaments and it seems so awkwardly late in the game to start now. And I'm having more fun playing my hacked version of melee with more balanced characters than regular melee, meh. When will the attendance list be updated?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
I think the list on the site constantly updates. So really its just waiting for all of us lazy smasher like myself to register.

You should come phish-it. I enjoy watching your DK and hangin out.

ORLY

Smash Master
arggggggg why isn't this here yet

EDIT: ARC if you do end up coming i want those friendlies we were supposed to play at SMYM

AustinRC

Smash Lord
@ORLY you got it but only if we do a slow motion run up and hug when we find each other.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo I'm trying to sign up, I get a B/C pass and say I'll bring a 64 setup and a melee setup

On the FC website it says $62 and change after I'm done registering, including the electronic payment fee, well and good

I get to the paypal page, $87.77

What gives, dudelets? looking like your website's a little wonky. Fix so I can register. Also, this doesn't pertain to me but I noticed that it said $95 on the main entry listing thingy, did you guys change that or typo?

or else, as froggy would say, YOU'RE SCAMMING US ALL OUT OF OUR MONEY YOU DOUCHENOZZLES

Also make the link to the website bigger in the OP, I'm lazy and I love 72-point-font

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom