• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Legacy...is done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tink

Smash Hero
for OoS smashers that want to go to chicago/get housed/driven for a lesser price...i talk to vro and he said if ur good enough, he could house like, 5 ppl.....dude lives in a mansion, no joke, so good players get on that.

also, i may be able to get ppl/drive them, i just gotta make sure big C would be able to house whoever would be coming....ill post more in the next few days on it.

AXE 09

Smash Master
^I've already set up a plan with Sveet, so I'm gonna go ahead and stick to it haha. Thank you so much btw, Sveet

:phone:

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
for OoS smashers that want to go to chicago/get housed/driven for a lesser price...i talk to vro and he said if ur good enough, he could house like, 5 ppl.....dude lives in a mansion, no joke, so good players get on that.

also, i may be able to get ppl/drive them, i just gotta make sure big C would be able to house whoever would be coming....ill post more in the next few days on it.
Same, I could pick up some people from the airport and house/drive you to the tournament from Chicago (only like 45 minutes from where i live).

P.S. The further away your personality and personal hygiene is from M2K the more likely you are to get housing/rides from me. Don't ****ing lie to me either, if I come to pick you up and you are M2K jr. who knows what I'd ****ing do to you LMAO

edit: 4 real tho dont **** with me

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Lots of good vibes coming through! Thanks to the Chicago Smashers for stepping up, and psyched to see Axe and Shroomed in on the thread! We're getting ready for our final push on registration but the hotel wants to cut things off soon, so I'm going to get out some last-minute notifications soon. This week is actually my last week in my current job so it's a doozy, but going to be happy to get my attention back on FC after this!

Those third round pools...

Big_R

Smash Champion
ya me juke n bigd r coming idk why we havent registered. havent even rly thought about it but cocaine cowboys are riding HARD at this

LuCKy

Smash Master

Id possibly be super down to stay in or at least visit Chicago. Is that deal still going? N I really hope I don't miss the registration on this thing. Loool

:phone:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I think it's a bad trend we're getting into with the 3 day tournaments. It just makes attendance suffer because some people cannot take work off on Friday.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Yikes! This tournament is on Sunday - Tuesday? That's ********. How come no one has made a bigger deal out of this?

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Plenty of people have made a big deal about it. It's not going to change. They had to do it sunday through tuesday because doing it friday through sunday would have cost them a hell of a lot more.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
This is stupid. First very high entry fees and now this!? The Kishes should have just gotten a venue that didn't cost a fortune.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Or you should stop complaining unless you have a series of successful tournaments to back it.

Read the thread, they already defended themselves more times than they've had to. If its a problem, don't go.

SO HYPED FOR THIS ROAD TRIP LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I don't see the problem with pointing out stupidity or poor planning.

A tournament is pretty much a service done to the community, if they're not going to do it right then they shouldn't bother doing it at all. People have the right to complain about something dumb that should be great. I don't know where you think you come off telling me or anyone else not to complain about it.

Hopefully this will serve as a lesson for other TOs on what not to do when running a tourney.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer

A tournament is pretty much a service done to the community, if they're not going to do it right then they shouldn't bother doing it at all. People have the right to complain about something dumb that should be great. I don't know where you think you come off telling me or anyone else not to complain about it.

Hopefully this will serve as a lesson for other TOs on what not to do when running a tourney.
Refusing to read a thread to find valid reasoning for the decisions of the TOs is also the mark of a poor community member.

To reiterate some of the points:
-The entry fee covers three full days of the event, two meals, and entry into three distinct tournaments. The price is more than fair for everything that comes with it. The cost is also in line with previous FC events, which are among the top events in Smash history.
-Cutting into the entry fee would severely limit the size of the prize pools for each tournament.
-The venue is drastically cheaper for being on a Sunday-Tuesday block rather than the traditional Thursday-Saturday block. This means cheaper entry for everyone and more money going into prizes. The amount and variety of days to set aside for the tournament are not changed.
-They have worked with the venue to also provide discounted rooms for all days around when the tournament is running. This saves a bunch of money over the normal cost of attendance to a national.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
-The entry fee covers three full days of the event, two meals, and entry into three distinct tournaments. The price is more than fair for everything that comes with it.
What if you only care about entrance into only one of the three distinct tournaments?

-The venue is drastically cheaper for being on a Sunday-Tuesday block rather than the traditional Thursday-Saturday block.
I'll take your word for it, but this isn't showing up in the price.

I agree with Froggy. Why is this tournament so much more expensive than other majors? Because of the forced entry into other events you may or may not be interested in. This serves to dilute every single event.

I respect the Kishes, OmniGamer, Midwest, and everyone helping to make the tournament a success. But to me something smells rotten in Denmark. Too much marketing and not enough substance. I haven't kept up with the entirety of this ginormous thread, but is there even a count on how many TVs are going to be provided? Who are the confirmed big name attendees? Is a stream confirmed? And so on.

i will be here day 3 only =/ for friendlies. Also i need someone to pick me up from indiana airport please, on tuesday
You're going to pay $85 for one day of friendlies on top of the cost of your flight?

A ticket to MELEE-FC Legacy will cost $85 (additional fees may be assessed as we get closer to the event date to accommodate last-minute adjustments). The event fee is fixed, regardless of when you arrive and leave

Jayford

Smash Lord

lmfao so bitter BAWWW THE TOURNEY ISN'T BEING DONE THE WAY I WANT IT TO BE DONE.

PRO TIP: You aren't being forced to go.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I'll take your word for it, but this isn't showing up in the price.

I agree with Froggy. Why is this tournament so much more expensive than other majors? Because of the forced entry into other events you may or may not be interested in. This serves to dilute every single event.

I respect the Kishes, OmniGamer, Midwest, and everyone helping to make the tournament a success. But to me something smells rotten in Denmark. Too much marketing and not enough substance. I haven't kept up with the entirety of this ginormous thread, but is there even a count on how many TVs are going to be provided? Who are the confirmed big name attendees? Is a stream confirmed? And so on.
Are you implying that the Kishes have significantly inflated the entree fee so that they can make a profit?

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
What if you only care about entrance into only one of the three distinct tournaments?
They've created a B/C event pass just for this purpose.

Why is this tournament so much more expensive than other majors? Because of the forced entry into other events you may or may not be interested in. This serves to dilute every single event.
I don't see how this is much more expensive than other nationals. Compared to actual travel and housing costs, the entrance fee itself is not going to be much. That said, part of the fee is split among the venue, security staff, and other operating costs. Once again, this is roughly the same cost of previous FC events. Also do not forget that discounts are given for bringing in setups.

For about the same price, you can spend one day at an amusement park with 2 meals. This pass gives you three days of all the friendlies you could want, several tournament entries, two meals, and discounted housing. Seems like a good deal to me.

TV/setup commitments are recorded during registration, so there is an expected number that people will be providing so far. The Kishes have also stated that they will be buying/renting additional TVs as necessary to provide an excellent player-to-setup ratio. For streaming, there are several confirmed support staff, and it looks like VGBootCamp will be handling the main stream (judging from the trailer).

You're going to pay $85 for one day of friendlies on top of the cost of your flight?
That just shows how much he wants to attend.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
ITT: People who haven't read the thread making baseless assumptions and ignorant posts while omni cleans house

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
They've created a B/C event pass just for this purpose.
Which doesn't cover Melee.

I don't see how this is much more expensive than other nationals.
First of all, how do we determine the difference between Regionals and Nationals?

I'm going to count both. It's fairly difficult to discern because very few tournaments get an overwhelming number of participants, enough to say, "Okay, that's a National." Personally if the tournament is two days or more and/or gets a hefty amount of elite competition it's good enough for me. Prices are Melee-only.

Revelations 2012: $45
Impulse: $50
Manifest: $35
NYTE: $65
Zenith: $40

Another Zenith: Not sure how much it was; I can find out later. But with top talent + 83 entrants I feel like counting this.

I tried to find the tournament listing thread for the recent Pound/APEX/RoM/Winter Gamefest threads but the Smash Boards search feature isn't the greatest and I don't want to spend an hour on this post. Feel free to help me compile other tournaments, though.

Compared to actual travel and housing costs
Not at all what I'm debating.

Also do not forget that discounts are given for bringing in setups.
Like every other tournament?

Seems like a good deal to me.
I am making a claim: this tournament's entry fee is significantly more expensive than its peers. Am I right or wrong? I think I am right. You are free to prove me wrong. If I am right, then the question is: why? Why am I forced to enter all the side events when virtually every other tournament gives me a choice of just being a spectator, or just entering Melee doubles, or just entering Melee singles, and so forth.

The Kishes have also stated that they will be buying/renting additional TVs as necessary to provide an excellent player-to-setup ratio.
I know they have. This isn't the first time I voiced concerns. To be fair, KishPrime was prompt in PMing me in an attempt to address them. This is me politely requesting an update.

For streaming, there are several confirmed support staff, and it looks like VGBootCamp will be handling the main stream (judging from the trailer).
Really? That's pleasant news!

ITT: People who haven't read the thread making baseless assumptions and ignorant posts while omni cleans house
Your posts are often informative, at least in the character-specific threads. This one is more like fanboyism. Omnigamer's post was more rhetoric than reassuring in this man's humble opinion.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
The registration deadline listed in the information packet is August 7th, 2012 11:59:59pm, but I'm not sure if that's still accurate or not.

As for the above, all I can say is that the price is in line with the current expectation of operating costs, attendees, and pot size. Every tournament will be different on this front; that's just how things are. The entry fees you cited showcase this well enough. At the same time, it is not correct to compare those fees with the FC entrance fee. As you said, they are all Melee-only, and the FC pass covers multiple events. It is an apples-to-oranges comparison. I understand your desire to have completely distinct event entries, but the TOs have their own reasons for not setting it up this way (most likely scheduling and resources). That is the reality of things. The event as a whole is supposed to be a celebration of all things Smash Bros; it is not expected that everyone is an expert at all of the games, but it provides further opportunity to enjoy yourself in a tournament setting for your secondary games. If you absolutely can't enjoy the other events, then yes, it is $10-15 lost in the entry fee, but the opportunity to play in these events is valuable for many players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom